Following Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Page 3

• UncleLou Moderator 18 Jun 2018 13:14:59 39,996 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So I just read this has no classes, no character creation, no character attributes you can upgrade, no "currency" like souls, and no armour or weapons you can find.

In other words, it's not an (action) RPG anymore, but a pure action adventure.
  • Jyzzy-Z 18 Jun 2018 13:29:48 3,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Boo. Probably no deal for me then. Not interested in Samurai stuff.
  • Rivuzu 18 Jun 2018 13:32:19 17,692 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @UncleLou

Yup, seen the same thing - but that's good, surely? From Software are capable of more than just Soulsborne games. Gives them a chance to stretch their legs and branch out.

I think a lot of the game is going to be about that bone arm. I almost expect a sort of Zelda styled geargating thing, preventing progress until you have the grapple hook or other attachments.

Take that format, apply From's combat mechanics and a limited respawning system (yes, you can do so, and apparently indefinitely on the spot - so long as you have a certain "currency") and it should be an interesting title!
  • Frogofdoom 18 Jun 2018 13:34:14 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should be very well balanced doing it this way as well.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Jun 2018 13:41:12 11,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rivuzu

Interview I've read has confirmed that it is indeed geargaited in the vein of Zelda. Essentially this is basically their version of Ninja Gaiden but with their own twist, such being able to resurrect from death instantly as means of surprising your opponents.
  • Rivuzu 18 Jun 2018 13:44:30 17,692 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a really good way to think about it. Ninja Gaiden: From Software Edition.

Either way, I will not let you dehype this title. I will not!

/bangs drum
  • wuntyphyve 18 Jun 2018 14:20:45 11,076 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I heard that too. It's a no from me as well. I'm sure it will be bloody fantastic mind you, just not one that's going to float my particular boat.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Jun 2018 14:21:28 39,996 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    @UncleLou

Yup, seen the same thing - but that's good, surely?
    Maybe, probably not for me though. I like my stats. And my loot. And I want to be able to overcome difficult bosses through sheer, grindy stubborness. Time will tell, but it's not something that immediately appeals to me. But then there's always the Nioh 2 annoucnement for what I prefer.

Edited by UncleLou at 14:22:05 18-06-2018
  • Rivuzu 18 Jun 2018 14:36:56 17,692 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heathens. Git tae fucc outta here.
  • Rhaegyr 18 Jun 2018 14:41:19 4,673 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks great to me and I like they're going for something different, not just Dark Souls 4/Bloodborne 2 (though I still want those).
  • Vortex808 18 Jun 2018 15:03:47 13,012 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Heathens. Git tae fucc outta here.
    ???

Get to fuck outta here?

Learn tae spikk, ya total fud! (probably not wholly correct either for other regional dialects, so i'll get hoist by mine own petard)

;-)
  • Frogofdoom 22 Jun 2018 21:40:57 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Article on ign saying this is looking to be a bit harder than Bloodborne. Bring it on :)
  • Deleted user 24 June 2018 17:03:03
    If it has done away with classes and RPG mechanics I think it'll prove interesting. Maybe you'll progress in a way similar to the Ninja Gaiden reboot where weapons are the primary focus
  • Frogofdoom 24 Jun 2018 18:30:01 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think you just use the same sword the whole way through don't you? The variety comes from the replacement tools that you use instead of the hand that was cut off.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2018 10:24:26
    Not sure I'm as interested in this without customization if I'm being honest. Seems like From strip out more things from each new IP, BB had far fewer weapons so PvP was much less interesting, and now this reduces it further.

They always improve things elsewhere so I'm confident it'll be a classic still, but customization was always my favourite thing about Souls. Might need to play Nioh 2 for that, even if I expect this to be better overall.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Jun 2018 14:14:30 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloodborne had trick weapons which was an awesome concept, you can really expect the same range of weapons when they all have to transform.

The lack of stats might make things a lot harder though as you won't be able to overlevel fights and areas to make it easy (easier). It should make for a pretty tight experience if you get balance things well.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Jun 2018 14:21:58 4,673 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved customisation in Demon's Souls and the original Dark Souls but as your skill threshold gets better it becomes less and less important.

The pull for me has always been the environments, enemies and bosses so as long as these are still on the level of the Souls games I'm all for it.
  • Deleted user 5 July 2018 20:31:12
    Aoife done a thing:

https://youtu.be/6ehy4THBLbE

Edited by Innit at 20:32:49 05-07-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Aug 2018 11:06:07 4,957 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This looks soooo good :) Roll on March 2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 Aug 2018 11:08:22 17,854 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Great video here guys.

I was kind of hoping for the combat to be a little faster and less Bloodbourne but it still looks great.
  • wuntyphyve 22 Aug 2018 11:22:43 11,076 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I stumbled upon that video last night and despite my initial reservations I'm starting to come around to this. I quite like the fact the combat still seems to retain an element of FROM's previous work yet it's been changed up quite a bit. The faster traversal and the stealth look great. Definitely more interested than I was before.
  • ChiefGB 22 Aug 2018 11:26:43 10,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ign did a live thingy yesterday (dunno if above is it) I don't know if it was down to the people they had showcasing it but it didn't look or sound all that special, potentially a very good action game but not looking like the second coming or anything.
  • ZuluHero 22 Aug 2018 14:04:08 7,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it looks great, the environments look good too.

Pretty happy with everything I heard, love BB and Souls in equal measure, so another game with similar ideas is fine with me.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Aug 2018 15:59:21 11,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Ign did a live thingy yesterday (dunno if above is it) I don't know if it was down to the people they had showcasing it but it didn't look or sound all that special, potentially a very good action game but not looking like the second coming or anything.
    Well if IGN are playing then it then you most certainly weren't getting the proper gameplay experience. Still it's quite interesting that there seems to be a theme of ninja/samurai stuff available and in the near future. All we need now is for Tecmo to pull their fucking fingers out and give us a proper Ninja Gaiden.
  • Fonzie 22 Aug 2018 22:54:16 3,329 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Both EpicNameBro (ENB) and VaatiVidya have some good videos of gameplay and their thoughts. I would recommend watching them. Definitely got me even more hyped about it now. It looks amazing.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2018 11:26:51
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Still it's quite interesting that there seems to be a theme of ninja/samurai stuff available and in the near future. All we need now is for Tecmo to pull their fucking fingers out and give us a proper Ninja Gaiden.
    For such a popular archetype there are shockingly few good recent ninja games. When Mini Ninjas is one of the better options you know it's lacking. Can't bloody wait for the coming influx, and I'd kill for a new Ninja Gaiden.

Mark of the Ninja remastered soon, and The Messenger too. Plus Sekiro obviously.
  • wuntyphyve 23 Aug 2018 11:44:55 11,076 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Fonzie I'll chekc them out this evening. I do enjoy watching/listening to ENB so quite intrigued as to what he makes of it. Vaati I'm less keen on these days. But that's more his delivery seems to wind me up.
  • Fonzie 23 Aug 2018 12:00:22 3,329 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Fonzie I'll chekc them out this evening. I do enjoy watching/listening to ENB so quite intrigued as to what he makes of it. Vaati I'm less keen on these days. But that's more his delivery seems to wind me up.
    Both worth a watch though to see two good souls players tackle the game in different ways. The boys from Prepare toTry have also had a go which is good for a laugh.

Edited by Fonzie at 12:00:37 23-08-2018
  • wuntyphyve 23 Aug 2018 12:08:14 11,076 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Fonzie Ah nice one. Aye I'll watch Vaati anyway I reckon. I love watching the Prepare to Try guys!
  • Fonzie 23 Aug 2018 12:13:01 3,329 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Fonzie Ah nice one. Aye I'll watch Vaati anyway I reckon. I love watching the Prepare to Try guys!
    The only thing worth watching from IGN. Tactics.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.