Gears of War 5 Page 26

• DUFFMAN5 9 Sep 2019 13:53:48 25,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just completed the whole of Act II as Jack, netting 2 cheveos. It was ok actually. I did have some issues, I could not pick up weapons for ages or revive downed team mates, although I had both perks!

The end of the act...you know the bit, my team mates (randoms) failed 4 times, I was praying they did not quit, as the whole Act takes hours. To be honest knowing how unstable Gears 5 is at the moment, I'm amazed I managed to stay connected the whole session.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 13:54:33 09-09-2019
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 9 Sep 2019 18:24:01 2,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So now this is installed it says itís unavailable as it hasnít launched yet, when does stuff go live on the ms store?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 18:45:25 32,242 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the Microsoft Store, it has it listed as unlocking at 21:00 today. If not that, my experience with Microsoft published games has always been midnight on release day, but hopefully it'll be that 21:00 to get it that little bit earlier :)
  • SiroccoJetProp 9 Sep 2019 20:05:14 298 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished the game. Probably been discussed but there's a checkpoint save bug that can pop up, I experienced it. It endlessly appears to be saving and it buggers up your progress and will send you back to the previous checkpoint. I quit and restarted the game to get past it.

Also the achievement for completing the game is not unlocking.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 21:05:08 6,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hah, hit a pretty weird bug there. Big firefight (still in chapter 1) and then everybody just... stops. Humans, enemies... all of them just stand around there staring gormlessly into space.

I finish off the enemies and some voice dialogue plays, but then the mission basically seems to stall and I can't advance any further. Going back to the previous checkpoint fixed it.

Guessing this game really needed some more QA time. No idea why they didn't slip it a month or two, given we're still early in the Christmas releases season.

Mind you, I preferred the characters when they were all standing still and not saying anything.
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Sep 2019 21:43:21 3,709 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One thing I find really uncreative and cliche in game design is the old exploding enemy. I just find really lazy they fall back on such a done to death enemy design. This is for all games not just gears
  • SiroccoJetProp 9 Sep 2019 21:48:21 298 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Hah, hit a pretty weird bug there. Big firefight (still in chapter 1) and then everybody just... stops. Humans, enemies... all of them just stand around there staring gormlessly into space.

I finish off the enemies and some voice dialogue plays, but then the mission basically seems to stall and I can't advance any further. Going back to the previous checkpoint fixed it.

Guessing this game really needed some more QA time. No idea why they didn't slip it a month or two, given we're still early in the Christmas releases season.

Mind you, I preferred the characters when they were all standing still and not saying anything.
    Had exactly the same problem on one of the later missions myself. Fixed it the same way
  • Deleted user 9 September 2019 22:26:01
    I haven't played Gears since 2 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've just got Chapter 4 of Act 2 and it's changed pace so many times so far.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 23:07:44 6,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dear god, the writing in this makes my ears bleed. Gunplay is marvellous, plot and setting are terrible.

Kinda the inverse of Control.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Sep 2019 23:15:43 15,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Dear god, the writing in this makes my ears bleed. Gunplay is marvellous, plot and setting are terrible.

Kinda the inverse of Control.
    Disagree completely apart from the gunplay.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 23:17:08 6,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I much preferred Gears when it was a dumb bricks-for-brains shooter, knew it and revelled in it. Ever since it started thinking it could actually do things like depth and character arcs, it's been like Ecosse thinking he can cook.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Sep 2019 23:21:25 15,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think it's trying for Shakespeare but there's nothing wrong with trying, of course it's not going to win any awards but largely I've really enjoyed the plot and the dialogue between characters. Horses for courses I guess.
  • Phattso 9 Sep 2019 23:26:15 24,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís eye rollingly bad at times. Some of the cutscenes are painful PAINFUL to watch. But then so was Uncharted 4 in places, only it got away with it because there werenít space marines in it. :)

Itís telling that I only enjoy the scenes with the scenery chewers from the original trilogy in. Except Cole Train. He was always annoying.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2019 23:27:47 510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I don't get why they wear the armour all the time.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 23:28:37 6,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Phattso Oh I thought the Cole Train was great.

I wish the Space Marines in this were actual, proper Space Marines. WH40K always goes all-in on the cheesiness of its setting. Gears 5 could do with doing the same.

Plus Kait could really, really do with some attention from the Ordo Malleus. Somebody that annoying has to be demon-possessed somehow.

Edit: Also, can we just have the Space Marine sequel please? Original was great, even if the sales were shite.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:32:44 09-09-2019
  • gordon_woodbine 10 Sep 2019 10:03:43 84 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm finding Standard (or whatever it's called) to be quite frustrating. It's all fun and games until a Dropshot appears and then it's console through the window time.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2019 10:28:23 6,733 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @gordon_woodbine Standard for me and no particular problems so far (somewhere in the middle of Act 2). That said, I'm on PC with keyboard and mouse controls, which I generally find reduces the difficulty by one notch compared to playing on controller.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Sep 2019 11:24:03 25,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm struggling with the flashbangs, they are actually making me feel sick for some reason. Way over the top and everyone is throwing them. Maybe I will stick to Gears 3 and 4 for multiplayer. :(
  • Frogofdoom 10 Sep 2019 11:35:44 14,502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know how to start a game of escape solo or with 2 players?

Playing with ransoms is no fun as you always get people that either run past everything or hog all the ammo and then moan that noone is helping. If I had any fucking bullets I might be able to do more than melee.
  • gordon_woodbine 10 Sep 2019 12:05:59 84 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Frogofdoom I think you can lock the player slots from the ready up screen. Let me know if you're struggling to find it and I'll try and get a screenshot for you.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Sep 2019 12:11:15 14,502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers mate, I will have a look later.
  • Rusty_M 10 Sep 2019 14:11:29 7,089 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really enjoying this, but I forget how intense and tiring Gears can be. This one seems to be paced really well, with suspenseful periods of downtime, punctuated by a rush of very varied enemies.

I'm only on Act 2 at the moment, and the skiff is fun to get around. Barely see the point in putting weapons on the sides at the moment.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Sep 2019 15:28:32 2,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well this runs exceptionally well on my rx480, better than gears 1 intact.

Seems pretty good for a gears game too
  • Mayhem64 10 Sep 2019 17:28:41 1,062 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played some multiplayer... not sure on this yet... and it isn't the lack of knowing the map heh. Same old lag present mind you...
  • Deleted user 10 September 2019 17:36:33
    Dipped my toe into Horde mode. Cunts need to leave me some ammo, I'm struggling with only an Enforcer.

Also - I consistently get loads of assists and very high damage output, but I tend to get few kills. Git gud, I guess.
  • Deleted user 10 September 2019 18:55:18
    Gamertag is G0atApocalypse - hmu
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Sep 2019 19:00:34 3,709 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trying to fight the snatcher in the mineand del is constantly getting caught by the snatcher while trying to face hump it, the fucking prick
  • Ror 10 Sep 2019 19:12:15 19,000 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm back home tomorrow, is the game any more stable now?
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Sep 2019 19:38:02 3,709 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I'm back home tomorrow, is the game any more stable now?
    Not getting any lock ups now (so far) but there is a bit where you need break some ice and the fucking thing is not triggering can't get the object off the skiff
  • Ror 10 Sep 2019 19:54:13 19,000 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw a post from TC - I think yesterday - saying they were deploying an update. It'd be nice if they can do another one before I get back :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.