Gears of War 5 Page 31

• Ror 21 Sep 2019 18:56:26 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a bit of trouble with the act 2 end boss, until I realised that I routinely forget to use Jack when I'm in the thick of it.

I had four of his abilities fully upgraded, and freeze flash and pulse damage boost made it quite easy when I remembered I had them.
  • Lukree 22 Sep 2019 08:03:52 509 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Iíve only used grenades on the ice, didnít realise guns did the same.
    Oh... I struggled with the ice part and didnít realize that you could use ANY weapon on the ice. Used only grenades and dropshots to break the ice!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Sep 2019 09:25:22 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Lukree I don't think it's "any" weapon. Shotgun types seem to do the trick - gnashers and overkills - as do big-hitters like the boltok. But I wasn't breaking the ice with a lancer.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Sep 2019 09:54:53 25,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Lancer does work :)
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2019 10:15:56 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I think I broke it with a hammerburst
  • JamboWayOh 22 Sep 2019 11:39:39 15,740 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Lukree I don't think it's "any" weapon. Shotgun types seem to do the trick - gnashers and overkills - as do big-hitters like the boltok. But I wasn't breaking the ice with a lancer.
    I was. Continually.
  • Nitrous 22 Sep 2019 21:41:31 1,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Ror good tip on the freeze flash and pulse damage boost. I'm through onto Act 3 now and really enjoying it.
  • Ror 22 Sep 2019 22:27:42 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nitrous Yeah, they're quite handy when you remember you have them. I guess I'm just so used to the typical Gears gameplay loop that I just keep forgetting.

I'm just at the start of Act 3 - was going to put a few hours in today, but ended up on Final Fantasy VIII instead :D
  • Vortex808 22 Sep 2019 23:35:58 13,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Borderlands 3 is distracting me from playing this so much.

Shame, as I was really enjoying it.

Must try harder to make time for gears.

That's probably what Duff thinks I should write on a blackboard 500 times. [\spoiler] 😃
  • Duffking 23 Sep 2019 00:41:19 16,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm getting through this slowly as I'm only playing on my work lunch breaks and a little bit at home but I'm enjoying it though.

I would like to know how decided to give the Act 2 boss so much fucking health though. Christ it's not fun shooting that thing in the back 40 times only to die in one hit.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Sep 2019 06:21:55 25,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Vortex808
    Indeed, see me later master Vortex ;)

I actually uninstalled* Gears 5 yesterday, not in a fit of rage or upset (although I have been there with it) just in the realisation that I am not enjoying the multiplayer. I do enjoy Escape but it is very much a one trick Pony. I do not enjoy Horde at all. But the big thing as I say is multiplayer.

The experience I get from it is chalk and Cheese when comparing with previous titles. I played about 4 games of KOTH on Gears 3 yesterday (Trenches, Overpass, Thrash and Anvil) all with full teams and luckily a pretty good connection. I loved and love it. I also got 22 waves of Horde played before everyone left!

*...I reinstalled about 4 hours later after a team mate berated me for doing it, and I just need to "git gud" ;)
    that may take some time!

Anyway onward and upward and Locust Forever :)
  • Ror 23 Sep 2019 11:32:13 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Duffking Do you have a fully-upgraded pulse? I'm not going to say that makes it trivial, but it helps quite a bit.

Flash can be a big help too, especially is fully upgraded.
  • Duffking 23 Sep 2019 11:40:51 16,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror Oh I was already past it, it was just an annoying fight. I actually forgot the flash freezes things though as I've mostly used the trap and pulse.
  • Ror 23 Sep 2019 11:47:03 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Duffking Ah, fair enough. Yeah, I was getting very, very angry until I remembered Jack existed.
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2019 12:02:08 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I actually landed in that fight with a fully charged cryo cannon, but found it more of a hindrance than a help.
  • Ror 23 Sep 2019 12:27:05 19,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess because it progressively slows the enemy, but makes you move that much slower carrying it. The flash freeze is really useful because it, well, flash freezes. I was actually quite surprised it worked on bosses.

The +20% damage bonus on pulse was the thing that really helped me, though; I kept getting her down to ~10% HP and then she'd just hit me like a fucking heat-seeking missile and back to the start I go.

Edited by Ror at 12:28:07 23-09-2019
  • nickthegun 23 Sep 2019 12:54:36 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, not being able to roll around for that fight isn't ideal.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Sep 2019 22:50:00 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished Act 3 tonight in co-op. I'd been worrying a bit that they'd gone for a more grounded, less ludicrous approach to things in Gears 5 and that the franchise's days of stupid, brain-dead, over-the-top entertaining set-pieces were behind it. The end of Act 3 proved me wrong and fighting Lord Naughtius the Tentacle Monster under the nozzles of a rocket about the launch was a classic Gears moment.
  • robthehermit 26 Sep 2019 14:41:27 7,515 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My controller was on it's way out, so I picked up the Gears 5 Kait Diaz controller. My god, it's lovely.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2019 14:57:42 6,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished my co-op game the other night and posted some quick thoughts in the Recently Completed thread. A few more detailed thoughts now I've had some time to consider.

- It's better than Gears 4. Compared with the first three games, Gears 4 felt like more of the same in terms of the gameplay and a real step back in terms of the writing. It succumbed to the Uncharted-isation of games, where the characters talk constantly with a banal stream of unfunny quips. Gears 5 generally gets this better and feels more Gears-y.

- That said, it's still not perfect. The whole JD fired on civilians thing they drop at the end of act 1 felt ridiculous. Completely out-of-character (and I'm saying that as somebody who didn't like said character to begin with). Felt like an entirely artificial and failed attempt at adding some sort of unnecessary moral complexity.

- Fahz is fun, though. Ended up liking him a lot by the end of Act 4. He adds something to the chemistry of the main cast that was missing in Gears 4.

- Del remains a total personality vacuum who seems to exist only to make appropriately supportive remarks to Kait. Despite having played as him for well over 10 hours in co-op, I was perfectly happy to tell my co-op partner to let him die in the big choice mid-way through Act 4.

- Kait was ok for a while, but I'm bored of her now. How about we go back to playing as Marcus for Gears 6? Old Growly McGrowlface is still the best character in the franchise, despite being a pretty awful person in many ways.

- In gameplay terms, I think they've evolved the series well. The gunplay has barely changed, but never really needed to. Weapons feel good, there's some nice enemy variety and the pacing switches things up plenty, keeping you on your toes.

- Very good area design. Really liked the missile base in Act 3. Also found the research lab at the end of Act 2 decently atmospheric. Love the way that so many of the lighting and sound cues in that section echo Aliens.

- I was originally a massive skeptic on the open-world thing, but ended up quite liking it. The maps are pretty small, you can get around them quickly and the side-events to discover are meaningful rather than numerous. That said, god help you if you don't find all of them. I couldn't have imagined doing some bits of Acts 3 and 4 without Jack's flash-freeze ability.

- Difficulty felt mostly well tuned. We played on intermediate, which would possibly have been a bit low for me solo but a bit high for my co-op partner (he doesn't play anything like as many games as me). Between us, it balanced out pretty well, with a few sections that made us sweat and few actual roadblocks. But that Act 2 boss fight is just... wow. I know there are tricks to make it easier, but I seriously think they should consider retuning that. Didn't help that it was the less experienced player as Kait, who had to put up with the whole vision-obscuring thing.
  • Malek86 29 Sep 2019 10:47:22 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got derailed by a lot of other games, so I've just started with my first comm tower in Act 2.

Today I discovered that if I enable vsync but disable the framerate limit, the game actually performs a lot better. Now I can increase the settings to medium and it will still run at 60fps almost all the time, and what few drops remain aren't nearly as noticeable as before.

I could go up to high, maybe, but I'd rather to keep myself some margin for big fights. Anyway, this is nice, because the game looked like hot ass in low settings. Now it reminds me more of a current gen title, and not something I'd see on the 360.
  • Malek86 29 Sep 2019 14:23:30 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Welp, today a friend joined my game, and I discovered that the game is a lot harder in coop. Scalable difficulty or what?

Or is it just that the CPU player is a lot more resistant than a human player? My AI-controlled Del never dies.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:24:59 29-09-2019
  • paulboy81 29 Sep 2019 14:42:34 305 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Got derailed by a lot of other games, so I've just started with my first comm tower in Act 2.

Today I discovered that if I enable vsync but disable the framerate limit, the game actually performs a lot better. Now I can increase the settings to medium and it will still run at 60fps almost all the time, and what few drops remain aren't nearly as noticeable as before.

I could go up to high, maybe, but I'd rather to keep myself some margin for big fights. Anyway, this is nice, because the game looked like hot ass in low settings. Now it reminds me more of a current gen title, and not something I'd see on the 360.
    It's not entirely clear in the settings (I only noticed after watching the Digital Foundry teardown), but the "Minimum Framerate Limit" is what enables all the dynamic res shenanigans. Set that to 60 with whatever detail settings you want and see how it fares. Works remarkably well from what I've tested.
  • Malek86 29 Sep 2019 16:22:09 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I already had that enabled (without, the framerate would drop considerably). What I disabled was the maximum framerate, which I had previously set to 60.
  • Malek86 1 Oct 2019 12:44:20 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Man, just found out that my reference RX 480 was getting up to 90 degrees and throttling. That explains a lot.

Cleaned up the heatsink, and also decreased the fan speed tresholds. It's noisier now, but at least it doesn't seem to go above 79 degrees. That solved my random framerate drops.

A lot noisier, to be fair. Well, at least I've learned not to buy reference cards anymore.
  • b-rk 1 Oct 2019 13:10:36 1,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Man, just found out that my reference RX 480 was getting up to 90 degrees and throttling. That explains a lot.

Cleaned up the heatsink, and also decreased the fan speed tresholds. It's noisier now, but at least it doesn't seem to go above 79 degrees. That solved my random framerate drops.

A lot noisier, to be fair. Well, at least I've learned not to buy reference cards anymore.
    The massive 3-fan Red Devil RX 480 I used for a while would throttle, too. Hilariously it came with a BIOS switch for overclock mode or standard but the OC mode wasn't stable out of the box and would black screen under load. Standard mode would sometimes see the clock drop to under 1100mhz under certain gaming conditions. All fan and no trousers. What screen resolution are you running the game at?
  • Malek86 1 Oct 2019 13:29:35 9,126 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @b-rk just upgraded to an ultrawide 2560x1080 some weeks ago, so that's now a bit above the card's punching weight. I hate non-native resolutions, so I just lowered the details a lot. I'm now down to mostly medium settings and it runs well. Until it throttles, then it starts dropping frames at random.

But hopefully that's been taken care of. Even if I'll need some earplugs.
  • b-rk 1 Oct 2019 14:00:54 1,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had a quick look at the DF video, it seems they key to getting more perf is setting the fog to medium but I can't seem to find any dynamic res setting.

1080ti bench results. I'll run it through a few other cards next week.

This being a UE4 game it'll probably strongly favour Nvidia...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.