Gears of War 5 Page 33

• Vortex808 5 Oct 2019 15:40:35 13,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    You don't sink cities with a giant worm without tongue set firmly in cheek, after all.
    'sactly.

And then go in the worm and chainsaw shit up. 😃
  • bone-on 5 Oct 2019 16:19:35 432 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Iím also enjoying it interested to know duff why you dislike it so?
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2019 05:34:30 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @bone-on
    Hi mate.
    Why do I dislike it so?

Well apart from a good (sometimes great) campaign, the rest of the game and modes are way below an acceptable standard add in the low number of maps, characters, then charge £7 for a single execution (the store prices are disgusting) for example and you will see why I dislike.

Just have a look at the first page of the Gears.com forum and you will see why we are all so pissed off and upset about how TC are handling our beloved Gears.

I know that fans moan and are almost never happy but this is something else.
  • voden 6 Oct 2019 09:29:31 753 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's potential for it to be great but there's a lot of things wrong that need fixing. The input delay for me is the main thing, aiming just feels loose compared to 4 and I've had to lower my sensitivity to compensate. Constantly being put on US servers is another that needs fixed soon. Flash grenades pretty much ruin koth. The Lancer also needs a massive nerf. The menu system is also worse, why can't we see ranks after a match now? Why can't we see re-ups? Why can't we select weapons for each side? Lots of step backs,iIt feels unfinished tbh.

As duff said the microtransactions are disgusting and have no place in a full price game. Can't wait to see what price they ask for new horde characters.

I do enjoy playing it though despite all that. The movement is nice and smooth. The gnasher feels a bit more consistent when not forced to play on US servers. It's launched in a state bellow 4 in a lot of ways though which is pretty shitty.
  • kentmonkey 6 Oct 2019 09:47:37 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just started act 3.... What was the 'act 2 boss' then as....I didn't encounter anything difficult, or memorable.

Was it the thing before I got the phosphorus tank? That's the only thing I can think of, but then you faced two of those before that anyway.
  • Jono62 6 Oct 2019 09:54:38 22,990 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey This is the act 2 boss https://youtu.be/ir67piGpOFE
  • kentmonkey 6 Oct 2019 10:11:51 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Jono62 Oh, then I'm not on act 3. I'm sure it popped up (it wouldn't surprise me, the amount of bugs I had encountered).

I'm in that area now so have that to look forward to. Didn't watch more than about 2s so as not to spoil it.
  • kentmonkey 6 Oct 2019 11:23:13 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well, that can just fuck right off.

Edited by kentmonkey at 11:23:23 06-10-2019
  • Malek86 6 Oct 2019 12:32:27 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually had more trouble with that Sires rush before the Act 2 boss. Took me a while until I decided that they were best dealt with from a distance.
  • nickthegun 6 Oct 2019 18:48:05 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One thing that made that fight easier was the relic longshot.

Tangentially, that whole relic thing was weirdly half baked. I kept the relic longshot and the relic robot smg for the entirety of act 2. I suppose it was encouraging a tactical choice to keep hold of it or change to a better suited weapon but it was odd to only have it for one act.

And then fucking lose it when you beat the boss.
  • kentmonkey 6 Oct 2019 20:29:17 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've just used the Lancer all the way through pretty much. I picked up a mace which I carried around and used occasionally, but it was the Lancer all the way through Acts 1 and 2.

Pulse is your friend against the Act 2 boss. If you've got it upgraded to get the 20% extra damage like I had, it made it quite easy.
  • Ror 6 Oct 2019 22:15:03 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished this today. Only took me about three weeks! Somewhere around 20-ish hours.

Thoughts... Bits of it are the best Gears has ever been, and I think I ended up preferring the more traditionally Gears linear OTT segments. I actually quite liked skiffing about and finding stuff in the world (and upgrading Jack), but in hindsight the pace felt a bit all over the place because of it - you'd have incredibly breathless linear segments followed by maybe an hour of chilled out wandering. I really liked each part on their own strengths, but think The Coalition maybe have a bit of work to do in getting them to gel a bit better.

In one sense, I think I might have preferred a more traditional linear Gears campaign, but I also appreciate that they tried to mix things up a bit. But I don't know if I'm thinking this just because the most recent part I did was, obviously, Act 4, so I went from skiffing about for a few hours in Act 3 to suddenly rushing to the end about an hour later, which probably exacerbated that feeling a bit..? I dunno. I think I'll need to replay it before fully making my mind up.

One (well two) thing's for sure though, it's an absolutely spectacular looking game (on One X), and it plays like a dream, so I'm glad they went for 60FPS. Also really loved the lancer in this one, and the fact that it absolutely destroys Swarm noggins :)

Act 4 spoilers:

The big choice! I chose Del, because he'd been along for the whole ride, and I thought it also gave JD's arc a bit of a tragic edge; he was just getting back to his old self, and he and Kait had a little moment at the beginning of the Act, so it kind of felt right, in a sense. But then I thought about Marcus. Poor sod's lost just about everyone that ever meant anything to him, and then I go and condemn his son to death. Sorry Marcus :(

nickthegun wrote:
    One thing that made that fight easier was the relic longshot.

Tangentially, that whole relic thing was weirdly half baked. I kept the relic longshot and the relic robot smg for the entirety of act 2. I suppose it was encouraging a tactical choice to keep hold of it or change to a better suited weapon but it was odd to only have it for one act.

And then fucking lose it when you beat the boss.
    I think it would have worked better if they were tucked away in the more linear sections and just had finite ammo, that way they're more like little easter eggs.

Halo 5 basically did this; there are high-level REQ variants hidden in every campaign mission, and once they're out of ammo, they're gone. They instead act as nice little treats every now and then, rather than something you come to rely on for a couple of hours and then lose (I hung onto a relic markza for an entire chapter in this).

Edited by Ror at 22:17:17 06-10-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Oct 2019 06:35:32 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Ror
    Morning mate
    Glad you enjoyed overall. I totally get what you are saying re the campaign being great at one point and then not so the next.
    Overall I think it is a far better effort than 4 was. I still don't think it touches the original trilogy though, although the Niles bit are ace

I like they went for a quasi-open world but actually Gears does not need it and I have no desire to have one in Gears 6.

The last chapter did seem very rushed. I clocked around 14 hours on my (so far only) first playthrough on hard/easy on a section* and did not feel I rushed it, collecting over 80% of all and any collectables.

*I always play the campaigns through on Insane with BFG (Jono, Vortex, barbour, Spank if 4 player) but have no desire to do this on insane yet, the lightening storms on insane already have me cowering.

Have you visited the Gears.com forum...we are not a happy bunch!

Also kudos for getting Halo in there mate. I will return the favour when Halo 6 comes out :) ;)
  • nirobi 7 Oct 2019 07:49:07 1 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The only thing that made me mad about Gear of war 5 is that boss fight is when the AI del fell into the https://videos.arynews.tv/ ice when she was almost dead and it caused me to have to restart.

Edited by nirobi at 12:20:36 16-10-2019
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2019 09:32:30 13,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like stat tracking was down last night. I spent two hours plugging through 50 waves of horde with kait. I got about 10 stars for challenges and medals, plus the kait completion, but all for naught.

Got a message from neosalad when we were about wave 42 saying he'd had nowt from various escape runs etc and true to form, no cards, xp etc when we completed the run.

Sigh.

We're about a month in from release now, aren't we? I would expect things to be tracking better than they were on the early release!
  • Mayhem64 15 Oct 2019 16:38:39 1,062 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought that's something the first title update was meant to fix?! I've only played multiplayer so far, no Horde, no Escape, not even any Campaign yet so... not TOO far from Lieutenant now...
  • racing_fan 16 Oct 2019 20:26:03 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    There's been a few changes. The number of re-ups now displays under your profile pic in social. New characters available to earn or buy (Carmine, Deebee, Warden, Raam, Grace and Rev-9).

And for those wanting a quicker Horde mode, there's now Terminator Horde- 20 waves of Rev-9s, T-800s, Trackers and Kestrels on Training Grounds.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Oct 2019 03:21:14 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @racing_fan
    Unfortunately they are not Carmine's just standard Cog.
  • Ror 17 Oct 2019 11:39:37 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Sorry Duff, completely slipped my mind to reply to this :D

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure what I want from Gears 6 now - as I said, I liked the OW segments in themselves, but just think maybe the pacing needs a bit of work. But again, the linear bits were, IMO, fucking amazing and up there with the best Gears has ever been (maybe even better).

I quite liked the crew in 4, but really loved them in this. Really liked Fahz too, he was such a bellend :D I'll have to replay it before long, and make the 'other' choice.

Yeah, I think I ended up with 84% collectibles and 88% Jack upgrades (got all his ults, but didn't have enough components to max out his passives). Would love an NG+ mode where you could go in and fully deck out Jack.

I haven't been to the Gears forum, but I have seen a fair few unhappy people around the internet, as I said it's a shame that the old heads aren't feeling it :( I have a feeling Gears 6 might be a way off (there are rumours that TC might do something else in between), so hopefully they can hammer it into better shape over the coming months and years.

And of course I got Halo in there. I am contractually obliged to either speak or type the word 'Halo' at least five times a day ;)
  • Malek86 17 Oct 2019 11:47:58 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JD and Del are amazing though, they go and attack the Queen with freaking knives. You'd think a shotgun blast from a safe distance would be preferable.

Wonder how that will work with Gears 6. Either one of the paths is canon and the other is outright ignored, or they do like the Witcher 2 and make you choose again at the start of the game. Or even import the data from your Live profile, but I doubt it.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:49:18 17-10-2019
  • Ror 17 Oct 2019 11:52:17 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been a week and a half, so I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they'd lost their weapons because of the kraken? A contrivance, sure, but they aren't that stupid :D

Yeah, I wonder about that too. Problem they have is if they want to do more novels, they have to pick a path.
  • mikew1985 19 Oct 2019 01:05:06 14,642 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is this act 3 bug for real? Am I now stuck because the open world design of the game actually needs you to tackle missions in a certain order?! Seriously?

I did the cosmonaut facility early but it seems like after doing the rocket stuff it doesn't recognise I'd done the beacons already. I tried going back to the facility only to get stuck.

Looks like this was reported at release but is still not fucking fixed. The work around is to start the entire act again?! Fuuuuuuck that.

See you gears, I was enjoying it but no way am I doing all that again.

Edited by mikew1985 at 01:05:48 19-10-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Oct 2019 07:38:36 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mikew1985
    That totally sucks mate. Sorry for you, very frustrating.

TC are facing a shitstorm on Gears.com (I may have made a post or ten!) from still not fixing campaign including cheveos being fooked, to unhappy multiplayer experience, glitches ect

Also the store and store pricing!
  • johnnyrocketfingers 19 Oct 2019 11:04:28 77 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Really enjoyed finishing the campaign; was playing it co-op with my xbox buddy. Loving cross-play.
  • challenge_hanukkah 19 Oct 2019 20:48:39 11,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I finished it just using melee. Really not into guns.
  • racing_fan 20 Oct 2019 00:55:43 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Does anyone want to put a team together for Insane or Inconceivable horde? Get some crazy xp and loads of cards. Maybe after a couple of Inconceivable runs, we could have a go at Masters.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Oct 2019 05:18:31 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Vortex808
    Morning mate.
    Good to get some Horde last night. Shame we wiped on wave 38! It is a massive misstep having only the second skill level be the Team fail the wave, game over. Admittedly we were on 4 mutators.

It should be one of the final ones, not first ones.i'm about 10'000 points/xp of the Warden at least. Completed the other five requirements. I also completed ToD yesterday, thankfully with not a penny spent.

As to the actual "gameplay loop" I was jumping on to do my dalies, not necessarily because I was/am having fun...that is bad state of affairs.

I'm getting my daily Gears hit with 3. It is 2011 all over again.

:) Hopefully get another run with you soon, as I said yesterday, we will rope BFG in.Jono never did come home...
  • racing_fan 21 Oct 2019 06:57:25 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Did my first 1-50 Masters run last night, on Dam. Was tough.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Oct 2019 07:02:10 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @racing_fan
    Well played, what map and what level were you/your team. Team or randoms with coms or ?
  • racing_fan 21 Oct 2019 09:34:34 181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    On Dam. We're all levelled to at least level 14 with the characters we used, which is essential. You need JD with officers perogative, extra grenades and bleed damage as minimum, ideally levelled up (I am). Kate needs to have bleed damage on her shotgun levelled up. And our Jack and Del were levelled. A Jack with high level smelting card is very handy.

I know one of the guys pretty well, one I've played with a couple of days, and we had two other guys that were their mates. Everyone on mic.

They basic key to success is rush forge and weapon locker for JD.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.