Halo Infinite

First Previous
  • Ror 10 Jun 2018 23:15:48 18,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Announced at the Xbox Media Briefing today. Looks like it's powered by an all-new engine called Slipspace, and I'm guessing it's a way off, given the short teaser.

Looks amazing and huge though, and we're going back to an actual Halo!

• Technoishmatt 10 Jun 2018 23:19:00 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am excited, but tbh I donít really know what we saw.
  • Derblington 10 Jun 2018 23:20:33 31,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm wondering if this is going to a be a shared world/mmo deal or something. Geo and lighting look nice but all the character models look super simplistic by current standards.
  • Technoishmatt 10 Jun 2018 23:21:29 3,410 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    agreed - something was off; not as polished as Guardians, which is bloody marvelous on the X.
  • Ror 10 Jun 2018 23:24:15 18,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phil Spencer basically said it's the next mainline Halo, so I can't imagine it'll deviate too much from the formula (by being shared-world, for instance). I think we'll see much larger playspaces, as teased by that trailer though.

Before 5 came out I said I'd quite like to see them just create a few massive hubs that you launch discrete missions from - I used Destiny's Russia map as a crude example - and I think that's what we might get. It feels like they kind of tried to do that in 5, with those walk-and-talk levels, but ran out of time.
  • richardiox 10 Jun 2018 23:31:29 7,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Next gen engine.
  • Derblington 10 Jun 2018 23:38:47 31,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't see this being the same kind of game as Halo 5. The character models are really lacking detail.
  • Anthony_UK 10 Jun 2018 23:43:39 2,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep, I thought the same... The lower detail on the models along with the Infinite name made me assume it was some kind of shared world shooter, I was just waiting for them to confirm it was the case which they obviously didn't.
  • FIFAfan 10 Jun 2018 23:44:21 226 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Phil Spencer basically said it's the next mainline Halo, so I can't imagine it'll deviate too much from the formula
    Well, it needs to deviate from 4 & 5 as far as I'm concerned.

They disappeared up their own arseholes, and made the assumption that everyone has read the books. As a result, I now neither know, nor do I think care what is happening in the story.
  • Ror 10 Jun 2018 23:54:13 18,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Waypoint article:

Itís hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparthís (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.
    A lot of people had been wondering since Halo Wars 2 if they might try to strike a bit of a balance between the older art style and the new (which some fans feel is a bit overengineered). Chief's armour does look a bit more like the Mk VI, and I suppose it kind of makes sense that they might have to look back to older tech after the end of 5.

The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5. In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5.
    Gonna be a Chief game. They basically confirmed this a while ago after people were annoyed that about two-thirds of Halo 5 was Fireteam Osiris.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2018 23:54:16
    Story is not same as mechanics which he was getting at.

I would like to know what this is, looked interesting, if a little like 343 going 'fine, we'll go back to Bungie's blueprint' after a couple of games of their aesthetic falling flat.

Edit: aimed at fifafan

Edited by JiveHound at 23:54:49 10-06-2018
  • FIFAfan 11 Jun 2018 01:17:24 226 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JiveHound Tru dat. Mine was expanded commentary on the general state of the series.

Tbf, did think H5 had some of its best gameplay with the dash and side-step mechanics. Felt more like a Spartan super soldier.
  • General_Martok 11 Jun 2018 10:02:11 630 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    H5 had some good gameplay mechanics but the story like H4's story looked a lot like 343 went up their own arses, it didn't feel like Halo at all.

The music change definitely didn't help either.
  • Man_of_LaMacha 11 Jun 2018 12:39:20 64 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not blown away...yet. I know its a new game engine that they have developed for it and they have announced that they have changed the art direction/style.

They have also said they have listened to fans, so its more Master Chief this time around (345 never learnt from Bungie's mistake, I'm looking at you Arbiter).

It literally gives nothing away apart from its probably going to continue from where 5 left off (and hopefully conclude the god-awful Promethean/evil Cortana storyline).

Edited by Man_of_LaMacha at 12:39:34 11-06-2018
  • Ror 11 Jun 2018 12:53:18 18,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWIW, Frank O'Connor said on Resetera that it'll follow on from Halo 5 but be built in a way that it could be someone's first Halo game.

Which... makes me a little apprehensive.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Jun 2018 13:11:37 32,228 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That just sounds to me like timeline-wise it will follow Halo 5, but will be a brand new story. Which is probably a Good Thing.

I love Halo, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea to move away from the unintelligible nonsense the Halo "story" has turned into.
  • Duffking 11 Jun 2018 13:12:40 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    FWIW, Frank O'Connor said on Resetera that it'll follow on from Halo 5 but be built in a way that it could be someone's first Halo game.

Which... makes me a little apprehensive.
    Maybe that just means "we're streaming the convoluted, pretentious bollocks story into something that's actuall fucking comprehensible".
  • FIFAfan 11 Jun 2018 23:46:56 226 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tbh I wouldn't mind a complete reboot (isn't that all the rage these days anyway?!). And then even improve on some of Bungie's own story failings (Flood, Covenant's cringey 'bad guy' dialogue, ARBITER!).

Combat Evolved and Reach were the simplest, most focused and best entries imo.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 00:06:01 32,229 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I definitely wouldn't call the Arbiter a story failing. An elite soldier brought up to believe very specific things, then having all those beliefs brought into question, is one of the more interesting stories the Halo games have told.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:30:02
    DFawkes wrote:
    I definitely wouldn't call the Arbiter a story failing. An elite soldier brought up to believe very specific things, then having all those beliefs brought into question, is one of the more interesting stories the Halo games have told.
    Not so much the story as the fact that the Arby levels were the weakest, plus thre Chief/Cortana dynamic is one of the main reasons the Halo story resonated at all.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:34:19
    Mrsyms1 wrote:
    I want to know the ending of this trilogy! I have enjoyed the story and it would be crazy not to finish it. Especially after the ending of 5, with infinity on the run, halsey and chief reunited on Sangheilios (i think) and Cortana going crazy and other A.Is joining her. They cant just leave it like that.
    I don't think they are. Going by Ror's thinking the fact the art style is rolling back to the classic iconic look ties in with the story due to the UNSC having to resort to older tech due to the AI revolution.

Whatever happens, for me Halo has never been as good as when it's Chief and Cortana so either they find a way for them to be reunited or recapture that magic some other way. And keep it simple! As they say in music performance, simple stuff delivered well is far better than complicated stuff not quite done.

Edited by JiveHound at 01:35:32 12-06-2018
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:35:39
    Notice how Chief is putting an AI in the back of his helmet at the end. Maybe he's been partnered with a new one, seeing as Cortana is now a megalomaniacal AI god-queen thing.

Edited by Innit at 01:40:25 12-06-2018
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:40:15
    Innit wrote:
    Notice how Chief is putting an AI in the back of his helmet at the end. Maybe he's been partnered with a new one, seeing as Cortana is now a megalomaniacal living human/AI thing.
    I hope it's Cortana, also it's hard to think of a reason why he'd be partnered up with another AI when the only reason for the initial partnership was to keep the onboard AI safe and more importantly the location of Earth.

I think what the reveal was quite explicit in was bringing back the stuff that everyone liked. A Halo ring, classic look, and to end on the AI insert. Screams Cortana to me, possibly a clone?
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:52:54
    @JiveHound a clone Cortana is possible. Halsey is still alive after all. If I recall she made Cortana by creating a digital copy of a cloned brain - her own. My Halo lore is a bit rusty though as I haven't touched the series since the release week of Halo 5, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was described in one of the books.

That'd create interesting narrative if it is a clone.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 01:55:48
    Aye, who better to come up with an AI that is impervious to rampancy?
  • Deleted user 12 June 2018 03:19:19
    Rampancy was built in as far as I remember. Maybe as a way to stop any Skynet shenanigans?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.