Halo Infinite Page 10

• SolidSCB 26 Jul 2020 11:52:25 12,766 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I don't get why people are talking like there's shitloads of time left to get it right. If they are sticking with the Series X launch window I don't see how it's going to dramatically improve in a couple of months. It's not just a bit of lighting needed, the whole thing looked like a bland relic of the past.
  • SolidSCB 26 Jul 2020 11:58:57 12,766 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think there was a DVD that came with, I want to say, the limited edition of Halo 2 that was the making of the game. Bungie went right up to deadline hour absolutely perfecting the demo they were going to show to the public. The level of stress on perfecting every single aspect of what they had to show was clearly visible. It was as much a part of the game's development as the final product was.

I quite simply don't believe they would shovel some shit out as an afterthought and it isn't representative of what the game actually is. This game isn't just selling itself, it is in part selling their new system. Of course they put 100% into it. It just isn't a very good 100%.

Edited by SolidSCB at 11:59:36 26-07-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jul 2020 12:03:23 4,311 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    On a small gaming whatsapp group and there is 2 thick twats on there, the old git one is claiming its "old 14/16 month demo" I asked he why they would show "old demo" and just responded with "fed up with all the hate and vitriol the gaming is getting" (of course he can't respond to a simple question, this was the prick that was spamming the chat how series x is going destroy the ps5 as has the most powerful console) this guy is 55 years old but acts like a immature child going full on about the console war!
    Maybe leave the group? That sounds like digital self harm.
    Normally is quite good but its just them 2 but new one is going to be set up and as the group creator is not doing anything about these 2
  • richarddavies 26 Jul 2020 12:08:17 7,763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now I'm thinking about it, is there anything anyone has seen yet (on either new console) that makes you think "Wow, that's amazing. That can't be done on the pro or X"
  • Lukus 26 Jul 2020 12:10:20 23,332 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just that Unreal demo so far I'd say...
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jul 2020 12:32:33 4,311 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The ratchet and clank world switching can't be done on a pro (also it looked nicer than ps4 game on pro)
  • barchetta 26 Jul 2020 12:53:53 2,520 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Would love to have been a fly on the wall during those 343/Microsoft meetings when they were preparing for the presentation. Knowing the emphasis on extra GPU power with both XSX and PS5, and seeing the demo reels of other games, they must have anticipated the community comments...

Sure, if it plays like Halo and smells like Halo then I‘lol be happy. Just wasn’t as wowed as I was hoping (but maybe that is my fault - overreaching for a massive step up).
  • richarddavies 26 Jul 2020 12:55:16 7,763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The ratchet and clank world switching can't be done on a pro (also it looked nicer than ps4 game on pro)
    I suppose that depends if it's a big part of the gamplay or not (instantly switching between multiple worlds).
  • IMO 26 Jul 2020 12:58:03 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel like the Ratchet and Clank demo didn't give enough of a feel of the extent of the world switching to say definitively whether it couldn't be done on existing consoles (without some trickery)

Edited by IMO at 12:58:24 26-07-2020
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 13:04:59 33,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can’t load entirely new environments and assets that quickly, one after another. It wasn’t perfect, you saw brief hitches as they transitioned, but it’s not possible now.

You could do something similar with tricks - you’d need to turn the camera to stream in and out - but not multiple environments with a single locked camera in the way that they demoed it.
  • Tricky 26 Jul 2020 13:07:03 4,992 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I suppose that depends if it's a big part of the gamplay or not (instantly switching between multiple worlds).
    Yeah, this. I said this at the time of the PS5 video that none of what they showed indicated that the player had much agency over it. It’s also been done before in Titanfall 2 and Dishonoured 2.

Maybe there is more to it, but what we saw didn’t indicate otherwise.
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 13:08:37 33,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Both those games use the same basic environment geo in different states. It’s not the same thing.

Not taking anything away from those games, they’re two of my favorites and they execute brilliantly.

Ed: I don’t remember instant transitions in Dishonored. Do you mean the sparse floaty platform place?

Edited by Derblington at 13:10:10 26-07-2020
  • richarddavies 26 Jul 2020 13:20:11 7,763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, but you don't really know what Rachet and clank is going to entail yet do you? All I've seen so far was an on rail section where the background changed. If it turns out in gameplay you can bounce from world to world to world on a whim, i'd be well impressed. As it stands I think someone could do a similar effect on a ps2 with some trickery.
  • Malek86 26 Jul 2020 13:45:33 10,158 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suppose it would already be possible to do something like that, you just need a game that can be loaded entirely into RAM.

That would obviously limit the scope and size of the assets, but with that, you could admittedly make a game with the same effects presumably even on a basic X1. One of the selling points of the current gen port of Rayman Legends was that it had no load times exactly because of that.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:46:14 26-07-2020
  • smemma 26 Jul 2020 16:01:08 732 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Derblington the mission where you can flick between two time zones in the same place, in Dishonoured 2. Awesome section
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 16:11:53 33,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, not played 2 yet. Somehow missed that in the post.

Edited by Derblington at 16:12:29 26-07-2020
  • IMO 26 Jul 2020 16:34:25 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Something else I find myself coming back to, is if the Master Chief collection can, literally, at the press of a button, swap out vastly improved re-done textures (and lighting I believe) for the originals - why is "we also need to develop for an older console" an excuse?

I can well believe that technical limitations in the engine or whatever might preclude them from doing some of the fancier stuff with the new architecture but I am struggling to believe that all that additional power is 'just' going on getting to 4K/60.
  • Bambot 26 Jul 2020 17:24:15 1,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I read a huuuuuuuge oral history of almost all the halo games up until a few years ago, recently. It sounded very much like making Halo games is a fools errand these days. They’ve always been an absolute scramble to get made in the end, with some severe technical and staffing/morale issues along the way. These days it feels to me like, under the bonnet, each new game in the series is a messy ‘rapidly taped together at the last minute’ attempt to keep the wolf from the door so that the NEXT one will be where they really nail it, and they never quite get there.
  • Malek86 26 Jul 2020 18:01:03 10,158 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @IMO this even happened on Anniversary for the 360 btw, nevermind the Xbox One MCC.
  • Derblington 26 Jul 2020 18:22:33 33,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That’s just game dev.
  • Bichii 26 Jul 2020 18:54:54 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Derblington go play dishonoured 2. AMAZING!! The level mentioned above lets you go instantly between the past and present of the same level using a time device.
  • Rodney 27 Jul 2020 08:31:50 4,465 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm a still a bit confused by the reaction to this.

I know I must be wrong because I'm in the minority but I watched it again in 4k and I thought it looked alright.
    Not amazing admittedly but not totally shit either.

Halo 4 was shit so we've had one good Halo game (Halo 5) in the last 10 years by my reckoning so I'm excited for this.
  • nickthegun 27 Jul 2020 08:49:42 82,287 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People didn’t want ‘alright’, they wanted something that would blow their tits off and convince them to buy a new console.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Jul 2020 08:54:26 25,594 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It looks like a lower mid tier game from this generation. In fact no, it actually looks like a remaster from last generation. It's supposed to be an advert for their new console.
  • Rodney 27 Jul 2020 09:09:10 4,465 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think it looks quite a bit better than that. It looks on par to Halo 5 to me, but in 4k and open world. I assume the lighting will be improved between now and launch.

I suppose it's a fairly subjective argument, and I'm probably biased because I'm excited to play more Halo and don't really care about getting a new console.
  • Bichii 27 Jul 2020 09:11:41 3,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well if we are going for the open world ting it doesn't look as good as ghosts of tsushima on a PS4 pro. I imagine on a pro or X the Witcher 3 also looks better.
  • SolidSCB 27 Jul 2020 11:20:07 12,766 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When you can roll off 20-30 (probably more to be honest) games from the current gen that look a lot better, you know you've got a problem.

Cross gen isn't really an excuse. I remember being wowed by Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 launch day. It was a noticeable jump up from minute one. It's just a lazy effort where game pass is doing all the leg work.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Jul 2020 11:28:47 8,991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shouldn't cross-gen be easier this time around, anyway? Moving from 360 to XB1 or PS3 to PS4 meant jumping from exotic, bespoke hardware to what was basically a mini-PC. This time around, it's just jumping from mini-PC to... more powerful mini-PC?
  • Technoishmatt 27 Jul 2020 11:48:42 4,272 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The real baseline should be Halo 5. As the developer for that, you would want your next game to look and work better than that!

Halo 5 in 4k on the X looks pretty fantastic for the most part... although I hadn't noticed how bad the pop in was, having a look at some videos. Maybe I just dont notice that while playing!

Problem is we just have so little information! Could it jusf be 30fps on the xbox one? Etc

Edited by Technoishmatt at 11:49:54 27-07-2020
  • Anthony_UK 27 Jul 2020 12:30:59 3,020 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A huge part of the initial draw of the series was the graphics, the original game came out a year after the original Perfect Dark, it was a massive leap from what we'd seen before.

But the graphics never really improved, Halo 2 nailed online multiplayer with Halo 3 & Reach perfecting the formula while looking far from cutting edge at this point.. problem being other games were catching up or reinventing themselves (call of duty).

Halo has stood still as a series, we've got the same animations and enemies from 20 years ago, with seemingly no idea on how to improve or reinvent the series. Even the combat which was a joy, playing against the AI in earlier games became a chore against the enemies 343 came up with.

The fact they've gone with Halo 1.5 this time round, while tacking on the least satisfying looking grappling hook mechanic ever says it all.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 12:31:49 27-07-2020

Edited by Anthony_UK at 12:32:44 27-07-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.