Forza Horizon 4 Page 6

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 09:19:39 4,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ugh, work is hellish this week and next, so unlikely to be in a place to try the demo until a few days before launch (I've pre-ordered the ultimate edition, so get it a week early). Pleased to see such generally positive reports - though yeah, FH3 had some fairly glaring technical problems on PC that weren't fixed for a while after launch.
  • ZuluHero 13 Sep 2018 09:34:09 6,728 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did have a couple of issues on Xbox, cars popped in during races, there was a major freeze while driving down an open road.

Hopefully these will be ironed out by release.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 09:48:39 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm trying to gauge whether this would run at reasonable settings on my laptop, without downloading the demo first...

I can play FH3 at 1080p and a solid 30fps at medium default settings. Looks and plays pretty well (albeit some minor input lag).

I can also play FH7, at 1080p and a solid 60fps at what I think are high settings, possibly medium (can't check now).

What do you guys, who have experience with these titles on PC, reckon?

I'd be happy enough to play at 30fps if that's what it takes - the Horizon games don't really require as high a framerate to be playable given their more arcadey nature.
  • b-rk 13 Sep 2018 09:58:41 542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    I'm trying to gauge whether this would run at reasonable settings on my laptop, without downloading the demo first...

I can play FH3 at 1080p and a solid 30fps at medium default settings. Looks and plays pretty well (albeit some minor input lag).

I can also play FH7, at 1080p and a solid 60fps at what I think are high settings, possibly medium (can't check now).

What do you guys, who have experience with these titles on PC, reckon?

I'd be happy enough to play at 30fps if that's what it takes - the Horizon games don't really require as high a framerate to be playable given their more arcadey nature.
    FH4 is more demanding on hardware compared to 3. I can run 3 at 4K/60 no problem but that isn't happening with 4, at least not without dropping quite a few settings.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 10:01:45 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm not what I wanted to hear given that FM7 runs a lot better (outside of the awful menus) than FH3 but I realise they're quite different games from a technical standpoint.

Edit: also I noticed the 12GB of RAM which I don't think I've seen before as a recommended spec - I only have 8GB (suppose I could extend it but not sure if that's really worth it) I wonder if that would create a bottleneck streaming scenery etc. in.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:04:51 13-09-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 10:04:53 4,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll The FH games have always been more demanding than the FM ones. Even back on the 360, the FM games ran at 60fps, while the first FH was capped at 30. That continued into the current console gen.

The FM games feature much simpler and more confined environments, placing much less stress on the hardware.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 10:12:41 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah that's what I sort of meant. FH3 and FM7 are the only Forza exposure I had since I never had an XBox.

I'll probably wait for the DF article and eventually try the demo, although I remember the FH3 demo was a disaster, containing many issues that were subsequently fixed in the retail version but not in the demo, and only a long time after launch (was it 6 months or even a year?).

Combined with the awful Windows Store I'm quite wary to commit this time around.
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2018 10:12:57 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say that FH4 is more demanding, but it also looks like they have lowered the CPU barrier.

So it depends on whether your laptop's weak link is the CPU or GPU.
  • neems 13 Sep 2018 10:14:15 4,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You could always try the dynamic setting thingy.

Or download the demo, i know it's big but only one way to be sure.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 10:20:53 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For the record my laptop has a 6700 i7, and a 4GB GTX960m, with the aforementioned 8GB of RAM. Not bleeding edge but runs both games pretty well.

I run FH3 at the medium dynamic setting, at 1080p and I'm getting a rock solid 30fps (locked - removing the lock yields about 40+ fps which looks absolutely terrible as the engine jerks and stutters a LOT).

I would probably be ok to drop that to 900p as I'm not playing on a big screen (22" 1080 monitor).

Edit - actually how big is the demo? The stupid store doesn't consider this to be important information by the looks of things.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:21:27 13-09-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 10:20:56 4,533 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll The Windows Store remains incredibly ropey. Every game I've ever bought through it has had issues. The Gears of War 1 remake had huge technical issues. Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3's pre-orders both broke, with the pre-load failing to trigger first time and then the initial downloads refusing to run until I re-downloaded later on launch day (no small issue given the size of the installs).

Forza Motorsport 7's pre-order worked, but until quite recently, there was a license-issue associated with the Hoonigan car-pack which would, every few days, cause the game to refuse to run until you uninstalled and reinstalled that car pack.

MS's inability to sort out basic store, pre-load and DLC mechanics, given Steam and Origin have been doing these for years with no problems and even uPlay can manage it, is pretty staggering. They own the bloody operating system, so I've no idea why they find this stuff so hard.
  • b-rk 13 Sep 2018 10:25:18 542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @KnuttinAtoll The Windows Store remains incredibly ropey. Every game I've ever bought through it has had issues. The Gears of War 1 remake had huge technical issues. Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3's pre-orders both broke, with the pre-load failing to trigger first time and then the initial downloads refusing to run until I re-downloaded later on launch day (no small issue given the size of the installs).

Forza Motorsport 7's pre-order worked, but until quite recently, there was a license-issue associated with the Hoonigan car-pack which would, every few days, cause the game to refuse to run until you uninstalled and reinstalled that car pack.

MS's inability to sort out basic store, pre-load and DLC mechanics, given Steam and Origin have been doing these for years with no problems and even uPlay can manage it, is pretty staggering. They own the bloody operating system, so I've no idea why they find this stuff so hard.
    This is true. I downloaded FH3 again just to test performance with a new videocard but I'm fully expecting problems with it refusing to run after a few days or some other wacky nonsense.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 10:27:55 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Ha yeah I remember us talking about the Hoonigan issue (amongst others) in the past. Glad they fixed that but yeah took them forever.

I have another (possibly much bigger issue). The store is set to the UK region, and my two purchases (i.e. the Forza games) are linked to that account. I don't think the store accepts non-UK payment methods so I have to figure out whether I need to change its region to be able to purchase the game in Euros. I still have my UK bank account but it's pretty much empty and I don't fancy paying the non-SEPA fee to fill it up just to buy this one game.

Had lots of issues with buying the Professional Office edition via the store (it keeps re-directing you to their website and it still won't work without creating a business account), I gave up in the end and am still using an 'alternative' version of 2010. It's difficult to follow MS's commercial logic at times.
  • BillMurray 13 Sep 2018 10:31:18 9,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Running fine on medium settings for me(i5 6600k, 970 and 16gb Ram I think). No issues as of yet thankfully.
  • ChiefGB 13 Sep 2018 11:04:23 9,609 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Schmove wrote:
    Is that Sean Bean in the demo?
    I think it might be Timothy dalton putting on a thick accent, but could just as easy be a nobody.
  • ChiefGB 13 Sep 2018 11:09:47 9,609 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is all rather lovely, but then again aren't they always. The issue I have is they seem to burn so very bright but a bit too quickly for my liking and then it becomes a bit of a trudge. This does have a touch more character including the beautiful scenery though so far. I usually drive in car but the external cam shows off some truly glorious views with the countryside stretching out forever.

Looks and runs a dream on x, not tried performance mode yet though.
  • Darren 13 Sep 2018 13:07:27 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was absolutely blown away by how superbly optimised the Forza Horizon 4 demo is on my PC. Playground Games have clearly learnt from the wobbly PC launch of Forza Horizon 3 as this sequel demo runs 100% smoothly, making even use of all CPU cores on my system (i7-4770K). Loading times are very brief and I'm not even running the game off an SSD but a 7,200rpm SATA3 hard drive.

With everything cranked to the highest (Ultra/Extreme) settings with 8xMSAA at 2560x1440 on a GTX 1080 Ti the game runs well above 90 fps during gameplay with only the season transitions (which are pre-rendered cutscenes) dropping to 30 fps, which does look rather jarring admittedly when you're playing the game at three times that framerate! The demo is extremely generous too and really does a fantastic job of showcasing and selling the game. For me, the UK setting gives the game a more homely feel to it than previous instalments and, biased as it may sound, the location seems more visually interesting than previous games even from the demo.

This is an absolute must-have for me. Cannot wait to play the full game on both my PC and my Xbox One X, thanks to PlayAnywhere. I will likely pick up the Ultimate Edition as I definitely got my money's worth out of the excellent Forza Horizon 3.

The only disappointment with the demo are the lacklustre replays. While there are plenty of different camera angles, including all the in-game views, there is no TV/trackside camera like, say, the awesome one of Gran Turismo Sport on PS4, which IMO has the best replays of any racing game, period. That is a real shame considering how glorious this game looks.
  • Darren 13 Sep 2018 13:17:08 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

I agree that the Windows Store can be extremely frustrating when it comes to downloading larger 25+ GB games, especially on slower internet connections where it is more likely to slow to a crawl or even stop. And that's if it isn't hoggling all the bandwidth and preventing you from doing anything else internet-based! At that point, it would either resume eventually after an agonising amount of time or, usually, just start again from the beginning!

I think every PlayAnywhere game I've downloaded from the Store has had some kind of issue and doesn't help that you cannot verify games installs. The larger the game the more likely it is to fail downloading. A few months ago, Gears of War 4 corrupted after an update and the Store politely asked me to uninstall and redownload the entire 150 GB game again! Needless to say my response was definitely NOT polite as at the time I was on a 10 Mbps non-fibre connection so the game took well over a day and a half to download and I had to leave my PC on overnight too.

To my surprise, the 28 GB Forza Horizon 4 demo downloaded in under 10 minutes on both my PC and Xbox One X with no issues late last night when I found out it was released. I do have a 400 Mbps fibre connection now though so there's less opportunity for the Store to mess up. I still think Microsoft need to do a major revamp on it on though as it is basically a mobile app platform, which is fine for smaller games, but ill-suited to larger titles. It really is a trying experience for anyone on slower connections.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Sep 2018 13:59:09 2,943 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Runs like a dream! Felt like I had good control over the driving, and knew what I had done wrong when I did wrong. Very different feel between different terrain which is good.

Canít wait to drive through Edinburgh and hopefully across the bridges!!!
  • ChiefGB 13 Sep 2018 14:36:24 9,609 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully there isn't too much of the SUV off-road stuff that I found frustrating in 3, unlikely though as there's a rally section in this already. I'm assuming you can't actually get to "autumn" in the demo, the big teases.
  • SiroccoJetProp 13 Sep 2018 14:40:05 226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I thought the more hilly bit of the map with greystones houses was Yorkshire, like you said Ambleside sounds very northern, but the cotswold stone houses are unmistakable. There's also a town called Broadway, which is in the cotswolds as well. Some of it looks like Warwickshire as well, I guess its like a broad slice of many parts of Britain?

Incidentally, here's the windmill on the fosse, which is right by Leamington (where playground is based)

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:59:31 13-09-2018
    Ambleside is literally a town right on lake Windermere in real life. The houses are like that in Ambleside too.
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 14:41:41 10,635 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can't get to Autumn :(

Also I don't think there will be as much off roading as there isn't any in the demo really. Also the course creator sounds awesome in this one as you can manually place checkpoints wherever you want and can make really long races if you like too. It won't be ready for launch though sadly.
  • Scimarad 13 Sep 2018 14:47:24 9,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Runs a LOT better than FH3 did on my PC. Instant pre-order.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Sep 2018 16:10:18 6,180 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right 28GB... might have to bite the bullet and just give it a go then.

What Darren said about the Store hogging all the bandwidth is very true - I remember downloading from it pretty much killed the connection of my work laptop, it was almost comical to see that (my internet overall is pretty beefy - FM7 left to download initially crawled at a handful of Mbit, yes, bit, per sec, but then the whole 100GB was completed within a couple of hours).
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2018 16:30:50 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just got upgraded to a 200Mbps fiber, so even a beefy demo is no issue.

Even so, there's nothing worse than a Windows Store download. It's been six years since the launch of Windows 8 store, it's absolutely baffling that they still can't get it right. (and even that's an understatement)
  • neems 13 Sep 2018 16:57:30 4,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does Windows 10 still do that thing where it uses your pc as a seed for distributed downloads of Windows Store products? You can disable it but it was enabled by default.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Sep 2018 16:59:53 5,844 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried the demo and I just canít get on board with it.

Yes it looks stunning and handles well (as expected) but these games are very ďcut&pasteĒ for me......I put over 100 hours into FH3 and canít be bothered to do it all over again.
  • HarryB 13 Sep 2018 17:51:02 7,352 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Engine sounds are lacking .. didn't find the Senna very exciting. Just exaggerate them a little!!
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 18:26:06 10,635 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah they should have totally put in some robot dinosaurs or something to stop it being like the other ones rather than the 4 seasons which massively change the racing and the adjustments to handling.
  • IncredibleKoosh 13 Sep 2018 21:10:58 252 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Yeah they should have totally put in some robot dinosaurs or something to stop it being like the other ones rather than the 4 seasons which massively change the racing and the adjustments to handling.
    They already did robot dinosaurs in Hot Wheels to be fair...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.