Forza Horizon 4 Page 7

Next Last
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 21:27:43 9,623 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hot wheels was the worst dlc for Forza so far I think, it felt really strange and a bit weird.
  • ZuluHero 13 Sep 2018 22:28:20 6,587 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished all the races in the demo, just exploring now. Figured out that the castle at the Horizon Festival is Kenilworth Castle, so that puts the festival in Warwickshire. Cotswolds is south-east, Lake District is northwest ish. The big city at the top right of the map must be Edinburgh?

Also found a wierd hole in the ground near Ambleside, in a copse of trees like a building was deleted. I wonder if it will be a barn find or something.

Quite looking forward to seeing more, especially in different seasons.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 22:52:39 4,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Frogofdoom I liked Hot Wheels. It was utterly, utterly bizarre, but it did feel like they were kicking back a bit and just having fun seeing how far they could push the boundaries of the engine.

I also liked that it was essentially 100% track-racing with no off-road. That was welcome after the slightly excessive off-road focus of the main game and the first DLC.
  • Apollo 13 Sep 2018 23:06:56 538 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Running fine on medium settings for me(i5 6600k, 970 and 16gb Ram I think). No issues as of yet thankfully.
    My rig is the same but I'm getting horrible artifacts and the road just disappears and it looks like I'm driving on a black shiny mirror followed by lockups. Just updated my GPU drivers too.Weird one. Stunner of a game looks wise.

Edited by Apollo at 23:14:26 13-09-2018
  • askew 13 Sep 2018 23:23:18 17,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Finished all the races in the demo, just exploring now. Figured out that the castle at the Horizon Festival is Kenilworth Castle, so that puts the festival in Warwickshire. Cotswolds is south-east, Lake District is northwest ish. The big city at the top right of the map must be Edinburgh?

Also found a wierd hole in the ground near Ambleside, in a copse of trees like a building was deleted. I wonder if it will be a barn find or something.

Quite looking forward to seeing more, especially in different seasons.
    Aye, Broadway is a spit for the village in the Cotswolds, plus the run up Fish Hill.

I enjoyed the stunt demo, and the self-deprecating "yeah, the bad guy has a jet plane". Like the new extra dash cam.
  • Jono62 13 Sep 2018 23:25:33 20,704 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • monkehhh 14 Sep 2018 08:33:26 4,962 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a little blast this morning (cockpit view for life) and it feels really nice. Performance seems good and the dynamic optimisation does its thing well again.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Sep 2018 08:44:25 39,740 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Is it just me, or does it feel a lot faster than FH3? Not unrealistically so, but I was bascially going *wheeeeeeeeeeee" in the Focus a few times. Mind, I've played FH3 at 60fps as well, so it can't be that!
  • Darren 14 Sep 2018 13:01:25 9,547 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The demo is awesome on both PC and Xbox One X but I suspect I'll be mostly playing it on the latter as it can handle 4K *and* 60 fps. Still a great showcase for both platforms and based on the demo this is going to be another predictably (in a good way) excellent instalment of the Forza Horizon franchise. I prefer this game over the more serious Forza Motorsport as it's just easier to pick up and play, plus the locations are visually more interesting than race circuits.

One thing that continues to disappoint me about this game though is the bland selection of camera angles for the replays. There's certainly plenty of them, including all the gameplay angles, but none of the other ones are particularly interesting. There aren't any trackside camera angles for example so the replays lack the excitement of Forza Motorsport's or Gran Turismo Sport (which IMO has the best replays of any game, period).

It's certainly not a game-breaker but I like to watch replays from time to time when I take a break from playing the game but they're so boring that I tend to stop them long before it has finished. It is very odd that there are no trackside views; Forza Motorsport has them and this game uses the same engine. Unusual oversight really, a shame because this game does look very, very nice.

Edited by Darren at 13:02:43 14-09-2018
  • Darren 14 Sep 2018 13:06:54 9,547 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    neems wrote:
    Does Windows 10 still do that thing where it uses your pc as a seed for distributed downloads of Windows Store products? You can disable it but it was enabled by default.
    As far as I am aware that feature, which I believe was enabled by default on my machine originally, is designed to share downloads with other PCs on the same network. If you only have one PC then it doesn't affect anything but once disabled then it stays disabled. At least it has on my machine as I disabled it when I first installed Windows 10 a few years ago.
  • McGeeza 14 Sep 2018 13:19:04 1,896 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    The demo is awesome on both PC and Xbox One X but I suspect I'll be mostly playing it on the latter as it can handle 4K *and* 60 fps.

It is very odd that there are no trackside views; Forza Motorsport has them and this game uses the same engine. Unusual oversight really, a shame because this game does look very, very nice.
    I thought the DF article said you can choose 4k or 60fps?

Not odd at all really. This is an open world game, so vastly more difficult to know where the car is going to be at a given time.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Sep 2018 13:30:38 39,740 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh damn, booted the demo up again, but it doesn't save progress. No biggy, but since it's impressively generous I wouldn't have it starts again at the seasons feature thingy.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2018 13:41:37 31,836 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    It's certainly not a game-breaker but I like to watch replays from time to time when I take a break from playing the game but they're so boring that I tend to stop them long before it has finished. It is very odd that there are no trackside views; Forza Motorsport has them and this game uses the same engine. Unusual oversight really, a shame because this game does look very, very nice.
    It's open world though. Most races you can make you're own route these days, so having static roadside cameras would end up missing most of the action. Anchoring the camera to the car is the only real solution I'd imagine.
  • neems 14 Sep 2018 14:25:42 3,994 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darren

X1x is definitely either 4k or 60fps, not both.
  • gamingdave 14 Sep 2018 14:32:50 4,760 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Spent a couple of hours last night on the demo and loving it.

The Cosworth is a joy to drive; power off, turn in, power on, catch drift, hold, grin.

It reminded me of the Ferrari 288 GTO in PGR3 which I used to adore, and probably the last arcade racer I really plowed time into.

Found myself using the 2nd external cam a lot. Normally I like a zoomed in dash cam, or even bonet cam, but for some reason this seems to suit an external view. Some of the road courses were fine in car, but as soon as you get in the mud, I found it really low down and just to hard to read the road.

It's a generous demo too. My favourite racer of all time is undoubtedly Sega Rally. Now obviously that was an arcade game, but there is more road (and races) in this demo than the whole of that (and probably Daytona combined).

Looking forward to another blast tonight, and looks like this has jumped to a day 1 for me.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 18 Sep 2018 08:47:32 32,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't post this yesterday as I forgot, but pre-loading has started for digital pre-ordered on both Xbox One and PC. Can't remember the exact size but it was in the 50GB range. I imagine there'll then be a launch day update too, but for now you can get a big chunk of it downloaded then not do anything with it because we're still over a week away :p
  • X201 18 Sep 2018 08:53:50 18,572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I didn't post this yesterday as I forgot, but pre-loading has started for digital pre-ordered on both Xbox One and PC. Can't remember the exact size but it was in the 50GB range. I imagine there'll then be a launch day update too, but for now you can get a big chunk of it downloaded then not do anything with it because we're still over a week away :p
    63.70GB
    Started downloading...10 seconds later... "Error" "One or more items in this bundle hasn't been installed yet"

I know, that's why I'm trying to install it :rolleyes:
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Sep 2018 09:00:54 5,896 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bet you it's the Hoonigan pack!
  • X201 18 Sep 2018 09:17:31 18,572 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got to the bottom of it...

Warning! This post contains a compliment to the Windows Store

Widows Store was set to download to my C: drive, which is a little crowded and hadn't got enough room.

Fixing it was an absolute doddle after I found the instructions. :)

For all the slagging off I've given the Windows Store for the things it deserves slagging off for, changing the save location of a file that has already started downloading was a breeze.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Sep 2018 10:52:23 39,740 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I hope they've found a way to tweak the difficulty a little better. I abandoned FH3 at one point because it was so uneven. Of course this must be quite difficult since there are so many parameters (not the least that you can take part in most races with any type of car), but adjusting the difficulty for every single race became quite tedious.
  • Frogofdoom 18 Sep 2018 11:44:14 9,623 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    39 on cd keys for non game pass folk, that's for pc and Xbox.
  • b-rk 18 Sep 2018 11:50:04 196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    i'm all gamepassed up. 39 quid isn't exactly a bargain, more like a small saving, which i suppose is better than than nothing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Sep 2018 11:51:17 4,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @UncleLou Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 3 both suffered from a common problem with race difficulty. The drivatar system frequently assigned one or two AI opponents per race whose difficulty level was tuned dramatically higher than the rest of the field. The issue was patched somewhat mid-life for FM6 and was less pronounced (but still present) in FH3.

In Forza Motorsport 7, it is gone. The drivatars generally behave much more like the classic AI opponents of yore (from FM4 and earlier). I'm hoping this means it will also be fixed for FH4.
  • b-rk 18 Sep 2018 11:55:31 196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    i put fh3 on easy, then the game mentioned that i was winning easily and suggested i increase the difficulty, which i declined.
  • Frogofdoom 18 Sep 2018 11:56:12 9,623 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @b-rk well it's an 11 saving over the same digital version from the Xbox store so it's not bad.
  • neems 18 Sep 2018 12:10:44 3,994 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I restarted FH3 at one point, and I found life much easier if I didn't upgrade the cars, I think it messed with the performance profiles of the AI or something.
  • smemma 18 Sep 2018 12:13:36 636 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any idea how much the standard edition will cost if you do have Gamepass?

My gamepass runs out a few weeks after Horizon 4 comes out...
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.