Forza Horizon 4 Page 23

• MatMan562 9 Oct 2018 22:45:44 3,457 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I being really dense or something in this game? Nearly every event I go to seems to change the type and class of cars depending on which car I'm currently in. I know you can change the car but it feels to me like it entirely misses the point of events if you just decide what kind of race it is yourself at every single one. Not to mention it can make the process 10 times longer if it's not entirely apparent which type of car is the best for this event. It also seems to be that using the better cars makes it much harder to win. It's all meant that so far I've used the first dirt rally car it gives you the majority of the time as it seems to be the best all rounder but isn't good enough that all the other cars that get chosen for the races are too good to beat. Is there any way to improve this at all? All I want is to drive up to a new race, be given a choice of some of the cars I have (or to buy a new one if I don't own one of the right kind) and then race it. It's actually making it really hard for me to enjoy the game atm.

Aside from this issue I am really loving the game a lot. It looks absolutely amazing and is slightly surreal to think that about a game set in the UK. It's also really good fun when it all clicks together and the seasons are a really nice addition!
  • askew 9 Oct 2018 22:55:54 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Autumn's my favourite season \o/
  • askew 9 Oct 2018 23:22:16 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    …though sometimes I really fucking HATE having rewind disabled when you miss a fucking checkpoint in a race.
  • BillMurray 10 Oct 2018 08:14:27 9,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Starting to quite enjoy the drifting in this. Some of the scores you need to achieve for 3 stars are bloody hard work though.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Oct 2018 08:29:08 468 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MatMan562

The races are generally 'blueprints' which means that the car class etc is set by design. I'm pretty sure that if you pick a car in a given class the game will then pick cars of a similar level within that class.

That's why, for instance in a retro sportscar race if you pick an '82 911, you'll get a grid that's full of those and Lotuses, they are similar specced within the class.

Once you are past the prologue you can create your own blueprint for nearly any race and choose your own car class, which may get you closer to what you want. What I didn't realise (thanks for the heads up earlier whoever it was) that you can even set the season, weather and time of day for these.

Certain event types differ from this, Street Scene for instance. There, simply choose whatever car you want, they are not locked by car type but the field will be populated by cars of similar stats lacrosse all types. For example, I've been in a D class sports car and raced across pickup trucks doing that.

EDIT

I have employed my reading comprehension. The above is still all true but I think what you want to do is blueprint and choose the 'anything goes' option. This will allow you to select any car you own or buy a new one and the opposition will be populated accordingly.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 08:37:46 10-10-2018
  • Drakesmoke 10 Oct 2018 08:33:02 468 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Money seems harder to acquire in this game as the wheel spins are atrocious. They need to dial way back on cosmetic wins. I'd not be seen dead in 90 per cent of the threads in this game! It sometimes makes it feel a bit bloody freemium, customise your wanker to dab in skinny jeans and a bowler hat! No.

Also VIP used to double your wheelspin winnings, the odd time I win cash instead of a fecking fedora. Down with this sort of thing.
  • Nitrous 10 Oct 2018 13:14:24 1,743 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

A Porsche 911 3.3 is £150,000.
    However it can costs about £15,000 in the auction house.

Why get one? Because its one of the few legendary cars that has a 300,000cr unlock if you use around 22 skill points to unlock it. I had unused points from just playing but obviously you can grind skill points if you wanted to. Also had wheelspin perk which got me a car and gave me a bonus wheelspin on top.

Anyway I've just got through the long tutorial of sorts and I'm feeling like I've got my moneys worth from the £2 gamepass offer. Doubt I'll play much more but will see.
  • BOFH_UK 10 Oct 2018 13:47:21 206 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nitrous One thing to watch out for, when cars are sold via the auction house any perk unlocks that the previous owner did move with them. So for something like the Porsche it's fairly likely you're not going to be able to do the credit unlock on a second hand one.

If you haven't already I'd really recommend popping online for a team adventure on the 'game' playlist. Flag rush is a bit meh but the new rules for King (hit a king to take the crown, 30 seconds later either tag someone on your team to pass it on or suffer a speed reduction) are great. Jewel has to be survival though with the newly introduced ability to cure infected teammates making for some absolutely brilliant games.
  • Nitrous 10 Oct 2018 13:53:36 1,743 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BOFH_UK

Usually don't bother with the online games but I'll have a look at some point. Thanks for the heads up seems I got lucky with mine so won't chance it doing the same thing twice.
  • spindle9988 10 Oct 2018 14:12:03 4,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still finding the online racing a bit confusing on this game. I am passed the prologue but the only races that seem to fill up are the seasonal timed ones, the rest I always have to put on solo.
  • hedben2013 10 Oct 2018 14:15:55 848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huh, I have about a million credits unspent and I've only just left the prologue- maybe I've been lucky with wheelspins. I've only bought one car from the auction house and then immediately regretted it because I got the same car as a level unlock and didn't need two of them. I've spent far more upgrading cars to the top of their class... but then realised this isn't as necessary as it used to be because you're put with cars close to you in point value, rather than them all being at the upper boundary for that class.

Most of the time I'm switching between an A class Jeep Wildcat for dirt and cross country races, and an S1 Aston Martin with an extra credits boost for road races.
  • b-rk 10 Oct 2018 15:23:18 678 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Money seems harder to acquire in this game as the wheel spins are atrocious. They need to dial way back on cosmetic wins. I'd not be seen dead in 90 per cent of the threads in this game! It sometimes makes it feel a bit bloody freemium, customise your wanker to dab in skinny jeans and a bowler hat! No.

Also VIP used to double your wheelspin winnings, the odd time I win cash instead of a fecking fedora. Down with this sort of thing.
    i won a pair of EPIC WELLIES ^_^
  • Drakesmoke 10 Oct 2018 16:30:23 468 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm working towards skilling up that very Porsche now.

As a heads up, the Lambo Miura top perk rewards you with a Reventon.
  • askew 10 Oct 2018 16:36:59 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice. I haven't redeemed any of those perks yet… Keep holding off to splurge on a car I really like :(
  • b-rk 10 Oct 2018 17:10:41 678 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I quite like doing cross country events in this Macan Turbo, which is quite lively and fun to drive.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2018 17:14:16 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm saving cash to get the 5 million together for the house that doubles Forzathon rewards. That looks like it should pay dividends in the long run.

At 3.5 million or so at the moment and it tends to be a bit of a spikey curve. Race rewards are annoyingly low, but then you'll get lucky on a wheelspin and bank 250k or something.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Oct 2018 17:27:49 10,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lies, all you get from wheelspins are shoes and horns :D
  • b-rk 10 Oct 2018 17:29:28 678 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    and wellies? what about skirts?
  • Drakesmoke 10 Oct 2018 17:37:07 468 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Remember to link to Forza Hub. If you are playing regularly it will reward you up to around £250k every week or so.
  • neems 10 Oct 2018 18:47:10 4,202 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    I'm still finding the online racing a bit confusing on this game. I am passed the prologue but the only races that seem to fill up are the seasonal timed ones, the rest I always have to put on solo.
    Go to team adventure, it will put you into a lobby pretty quick.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2018 20:26:38 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A few nights ago, I decided I was going to create the most ridiculous-looking character I could, as a form of soft protest against all the stupid cosmetics in wheelspins.

Problem is, after creating this dapper gent...

I came to the conclusion he was actually kinda awesome.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Oct 2018 20:29:40 10,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I approve of the gent in the picture.
  • b-rk 11 Oct 2018 04:31:44 678 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Nice wellies, are they epic?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2018 07:20:07 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @b-rk I'm not sure, but they sure do co-ordinate nicely with the mittens and the hotpants.
  • Baihu1983 11 Oct 2018 10:34:47 10,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    A few nights ago, I decided I was going to create the most ridiculous-looking character I could, as a form of soft protest against all the stupid cosmetics in wheelspins.

Problem is, after creating this dapper gent...

I came to the conclusion he was actually kinda awesome.
    Yep that's awesome
  • BOFH_UK 11 Oct 2018 11:10:34 206 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On the subject of money I've found it's well worth unlocking the Goliath race (Level 20 on Road Racing). A lap in a fast car takes under 9 minutes so grab a suitable Forza Edition (I'm using the Zonda R), unlock everything in car mastery and blueprint a race of 3 laps. Now, granted, I'm running VIP so the money is doubled up but somewhere in the region of 250k for around 25 minutes of racing. Provided I put in clean laps there's also a ton of skill points (I think I hit 75 on one race but around 50 at least) and of course a bunch of wheelspins from levels. Not bad for 30 minutes and the track is probably the best of the full map circuits, at least IMO.

What else... oh, dive into Forzathon Live events wherever possible, especially if you've got the house that doubles the rewards (free with VIP btw). Super wheelspins for 150 points can be surprisingly decent on rewards, certainly better than a regular wheelspin for 40 points. Don't overlook car mastery perks either, quite a few vehicles have cash bonuses available for unlock (see the Porsche 911 comment up above for a good example) or provide very cheap wheelspins.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Oct 2018 11:16:02 6,402 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm hesitating to spend any money on cars, as I'm showered with them during barn finds, VIP giveaways from the car packs and wheel spins (well, when I'm not showered in wellies and glam waist coats). Car collection value sits at about 12m with about 60 cars or so. Spent most of my cash on houses so far but currently sitting on about 2m in cash.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Oct 2018 11:19:36 6,402 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, I sort of dig the whole car mastery thing - suppose it's to make you 'connect' with a particular car based on the points you invested in other than the obvious gameplay benefits. Like it better than how they handled skill points in FH3 for sure.
  • Zomoniac 11 Oct 2018 12:16:39 9,836 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BOFH_UK wrote:
    On the subject of money I've found it's well worth unlocking the Goliath race (Level 20 on Road Racing). A lap in a fast car takes under 9 minutes so grab a suitable Forza Edition (I'm using the Zonda R), unlock everything in car mastery and blueprint a race of 3 laps. Now, granted, I'm running VIP so the money is doubled up but somewhere in the region of 250k for around 25 minutes of racing. Provided I put in clean laps there's also a ton of skill points (I think I hit 75 on one race but around 50 at least) and of course a bunch of wheelspins from levels. Not bad for 30 minutes and the track is probably the best of the full map circuits, at least IMO.
    Worth mentioning that if you go to the Creative Hub and look at blueprints you can save and race blueprints for the Goliath without having to reach road racing level 20. Given that having won every road race and the Colossus I was only level 12 or so and the influence requirements in higher levels are insane I reckon I was only a third of the way to 20 at most at the point where I had to start replaying races, so getting a blueprint is definitely the easy method for getting the Goliath achievement and using it for some money/influence grinding.
  • neems 11 Oct 2018 12:16:54 4,202 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I miss the perk that let you buy wheel spins though, I could go for some of that.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.