Forza Horizon 4 Page 34

• brainbird 10 Jun 2019 14:37:37 2,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    For those who missed the E3 reveal trailer yesterday:

I know I'll enjoy this expansion (even though I thought the Hot Wheels DLC for FH3 wasn't as great as the main game) but I understand those who are disappointed and say Turn10 should focus on adding more/new real life cars.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Jun 2019 14:51:30 570 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, tbh Hotwheels was fun for all of 10 minutes, I won't be buying the bells and whistles edition again on faith.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Jun 2019 14:52:13 570 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's also too late tbh. I haven't played the game since I finished Storm Island months ago.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 15:25:50 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks moderately fun, though I confess I'd rather have seen a more UK-themed expansion (maybe adding London or the Isle of Mann).
  • barchetta 10 Jun 2019 22:45:53 1,874 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Looks moderately fun, though I confess I'd rather have seen a more UK-themed expansion (maybe adding London or the Isle of Mann).
    Hmm.. Isle of Man? Tourist Trophy? T T? Travellers Tales? Lego? Quite a connection!
  • uiruki 13 Jun 2019 22:01:54 4,862 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Lego stuff is super fun. I liked Fortune Island but this has definitely justified the price of the expansion pass for me already! It does make it even harder to tell what you can and can't plough through though as it lets you plough through a lot of stuff.
  • BOFH_UK 14 Jun 2019 01:01:33 231 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After about four hours tonight some quick thoughts on the new Lego expansion: Overall it's pretty good but there's definitely room for improvement. The new map is *really* nice and offers some areas I know have been heavily requested, chief amongst them a race track with banked loop and infield. Really varied terrain, fair bit to find and a good balance of verticality and visibility. They've also learnt their lesson on drift zones and made most of 'em fairly wide to help reduce frustration.

The Lego theme is... mostly well used. The scenery is great with a seriously impressive level of detail right down to spotting actual lego sets pretty accurately recreated. Next time I've got it on definitely going to spend a few minutes driving through the city to see what Creator sets are in there. The more 'traditional' part of Lego games (i.e. brick / stud collecting) is well integrated and another great gameplay loop in what (IMO of course) is one of the best open worlds out there right now. The new challenges are well thought through too and there's some new stuff I'd love to see make its way over to the base game (especially the 'race from x to y in an A class car' bits).

However the actual Lego cars are a bit of a let down, at least so far (I've done the story missions and got the main house upgrades). It's looking like there's only four cars in the game (the three we know about from trailers and a barn find) which, frankly, isn't enough. The ones that *are* here are fantastic btw, took the Senna on to the main UK map and had convoys of players forming up gawping at the thing unprompted. Now I don't expect the Creator cars to come to the game (the level of detail required would be silly) but right now the basic Speed Champions sets include a Ford Mustang, Fiesta M-Sport WRC, Ferrari 488 GT3, 911 RSR and a Ferrari 312 T4. Surely if you're branding something like this including all the current sets would have been a good idea?

It also feels weirdly stingy compared to Fortune Island. That expansion was a godsend for those looking for cash with 10m credits via treasure chests and some really nice cars available as rewards. Ultimately with the expansions being (understandably) isolated from the main game the bits you can bring back from your travels to share with everyone else are important. Right now it feels like there's not enough of that.

One last criticism is that some areas do feel a.little small. The racetrack, for instance, is nice but the banked circuit runs at around a 25 second lap in anything quick which isn't particularly satisfying. Slower cars are fine of course but Indy it ain't.

Eh, maybe there's more to come (especially on the car front) in the next few weeks / months, who knows. Right now though it's a nice expansion that'll keep you busy for a while, offers some good racing, some enjoyable new gameplay loops and a genuinely unique world. It's just a shame it feels a bit light on content beyond that but still fun despite that. Oh, and there's a new radio station that only plays Everything is Awesome which is damn near worth the price of admission alone!
  • TPReview 14 Jun 2019 08:04:41 1,376 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With no new Forza this year I'm pretty sure we'll see another expansion around Christmas/ early next year.
  • Fourwisemen 15 Jun 2019 18:06:31 819 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, after a few hours with Lego today could this expansion provide a hint of a potential Forza future?

As mentioned by someone else, seeing an actual circuit within this map with multiple configurations was a very welcome addition to the formula and much fun was had in that part of the map.

With all the talk of no loading times with Scarlett, is it not a possibility (and I appreciate what I suggest next could mean a drop in ultimate detail) to build all of Forzas real world tracks with one giant shared map and have the ability to drive between each (abridged of course)? If thatís too ambitious the split into continents.

Maybe it doesnít make business sense to merge the two Forza flavours together but this could bring a new life to Forza.

Thoughts?
  • lordofdeadside 15 Jun 2019 21:26:12 1,357 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been having a lot of fun with the Lego expansion, it's just so damn enjoyable. The bricks look incredible, they've captured the sheen and the slight translucency of the plastic perfectly. The stickers for the lights & vents on the cars even have a slightly different colour to the bricks! There are loads of great little Lego touches too, the radio station, the post race white room being made of lego or the cows.

It's also great how well the Lego integrates with the real-world, just enough to make it feel like a set without alienating the real cars or surfaces.

The low number of Lego cars is probably the biggest downside, it's a bit of shame that the races seem to be all against real cars. I'd even rather have all the same car in each race. It's also a shame that there's no mini-fig avatar, they've put so much into character accessories & customisation (must be 99% of wheelspins), that it's odd. Looks strange in the post race results area too.
  • KD 16 Jun 2019 17:28:34 2,113 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the changes online, bumping into walls gets you a penalty so you can't accelerate for a few seconds, everyone is invisible for the first few corners and high speed collisions are detected and avoided on the fly.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Jun 2019 18:36:59 1,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This has certainly scratched an itch for arcade driving. My main criticism is the influencer and tedious ott characters (radio etc). Maybe Iím just an old bastard who is shaking his fist at kids.
  • AaronTurner 16 Jun 2019 18:41:44 11,064 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is the beauty of game pass. Normally I hate arcade racers but I gave this game a shot because of the game pass... and it's swallowed a huge amount of my time, it's brilliant.
  • whatthefu 16 Jun 2019 19:59:51 1,233 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How long does it take to complete the Lego expansion?

If I had waited a week longer I would have bought the expansion pass but I prematurely bought Fortune Island.

Edited by whatthefu at 20:00:04 16-06-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Jun 2019 22:11:24 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @whatthefu I put in a few hours on Friday (was off work) then maybe 6-7 hours or so on Saturday. That got me through most of the content. Not completionist, but I was more or less done with the big stuff.

It's good. A bit better than Hot Wheels for FH3, which looked better, but didn't play all that well. Unlike Hot Wheels, it still feels like a Forza game.
  • waggy79 16 Jun 2019 22:43:32 1,996 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    How long does it take to complete the Lego expansion?

If I had waited a week longer I would have bought the expansion pass but I prematurely bought Fortune Island.
    You only save about 2 quid by buying the pass rather than seperate though so not too big a loss.
  • BOFH_UK 17 Jun 2019 09:47:48 231 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Fourwisemen In theory, great idea. In practice... Well, let me put it this way. The whinging on the official site about, uh, practically anything that people don't like is truly ridiculous. For instance seeing a Lego car line up alongside 'normal' ones is apparently immersion breaking in a series that can see a Senna racing across fields and off mountains. And similarly the idea of Motorsport fans being happy with having to *gasp* drive between tracks is somewhat unlikely.

Hate to say it as I'd really like to see the two married up, at least once, but I'm just not sure how you meld those worlds in a way that's going to keep a big enough slice of the customer base happy.
  • SnackPlissken 17 Jun 2019 10:13:55 1,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That Flying Scotsman race. No lie. One of the best racing experiences I've had in a game.
  • richardiox 17 Jun 2019 10:54:20 7,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Playing the Lego expansion on One X, 60fps mode. The graphics are nuts. Anyone who thinks GT has best racing gfx this gen are nuts. Ridiculous this is open world, 60fps with real time day night and weather, deformation etc
  • Fourwisemen 17 Jun 2019 12:13:16 819 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BOFH_UK

BOFH_UK wrote:
    @Fourwisemen In theory, great idea. In practice... Well, let me put it this way. The whinging on the official site about, uh, practically anything that people don't like is truly ridiculous. For instance seeing a Lego car line up alongside 'normal' ones is apparently immersion breaking in a series that can see a Senna racing across fields and off mountains. And similarly the idea of Motorsport fans being happy with having to *gasp* drive between tracks is somewhat unlikely.

Hate to say it as I'd really like to see the two married up, at least once, but I'm just not sure how you meld those worlds in a way that's going to keep a big enough slice of the customer base happy.
    A sad state of affairs but Iím sure youíre right about this. It really feels that some gaming communities have a massive sense of entitlement and letís face it, you canít please everyone. Of course negative and dissenting voices are always the loudest.

There should be a way of designing the game around the two different play styles though. Boot the game and be presented with Motorsport or Horizon options.

Thinking about my thoughts that convergence of the two games might be bad for business, as MS are trying to get as many Gamepass subs as possible it could actually be a positive.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jun 2019 12:47:06 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Forza official forums are unhealthy at the best of times. There's a consistent drumbeat of people who want Turn10 to drag the Motorsports side of the series even further in the Project Cars direction of ultra-realism at the expense of fun and CarPG elements. I'm pretty sure that would be a mis-step for the series. With even Gran Turismo trying to go further down the "hardcore sim" route with each iteration, the ultra-realistic end of the market is pretty crowded. Meanwhile, there still seem to be plenty of people who would like a good realistic-ish CarPG.
  • BOFH_UK 17 Jun 2019 13:54:54 231 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Fourwisemen Hmm... could that work. It's certainly an interesting one. I guess maybe if you had separate 'career paths' that could all feed into a central XP pool and interlink in some way? Oh, actually, how about expanding the Horizon Story idea? So you have all the usual Horizon shenanigans but one of the 'stories' is as a racing driver. Maybe when you start off you're just doing 'local' races so have to drive there yourself etc and as it progresses you get the option to quick travel thanks to sponsorship.

Hard as hell to balance of course but if they managed to get to a point you don't *have* to do any Motorsport to get everything in Horizon and vice versa maybe it could. Heck expand the 'business' side of it by letting players offer unique custom designs for racers or let you sponsor or invest in individuals. Might be a nice way to bring together groups that play one game but not the other.

Got to say you're right on the "entitled" part. I've seen people demanding refunds for the Lego expansion because it wasn't what they wanted, insisting that the Playlist feature is unfair as it forces you to do stuff you might not want (slightly valid when you needed 100% for some rewards, not so much at 80%), demanding that the devs engage in dialogue about what *they* want as they are the true fans... gets exhausting tbh.
  • SnackPlissken 17 Jun 2019 13:56:08 1,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I enjoyed GT Sport up until a point. Sure it felt somewhat realistic, but there comes a time when you just feel like why am I racing 50 laps? Its fun the first 20, then after that you're just wanting it to end.
  • welshben1982 17 Jun 2019 16:42:11 1,297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know with a Lego expansion they've got to cater for the age of the majority of the fanbase that enjoy Lego but for me, the speed zones, speed traps, bonus boards & drift zones are ridiculously easy!

Only one bonus board gave me a tiny bit of a problem getting to it & apart from a single drift zone (my batteries ran out :lol: ) I got 3 stars on them on the first try.

Edited by welshben1982 at 16:42:28 17-06-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jun 2019 17:17:35 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @welshben1982 Yes, the bonus boards and PR stunts are much easier than those in the main game. Admittedly, the PR stunts in the first expansion were even easier, but that did have some tricky bonus boards.

That said, some of the optional challenges that go with a couple of the PR stunts are trickier, a couple requiring a bit of lateral thinking. The solution to the "get 3 stars on the airport danger sign twice in 45 seconds" one made me smile when I figured it out.
  • IMadeThis 17 Jun 2019 20:05:20 1,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've only recently started this. Does anyone know - do I have to be so far in to open up Lego Speed Champions or should it be there from the off?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Jun 2019 20:08:42 6,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @IMadeThis You'll need to get past the introductory section - the opening 6 hours or so where you are guided through the early events and cycle through a game-year - and into the "main" section of the game.

When the online features become available, so should the DLC.
  • IMadeThis 17 Jun 2019 20:54:22 1,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Brilliant thank you dude, best keep going then!
  • Daz190uk 17 Jun 2019 21:05:58 377 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    The Forza official forums are unhealthy at the best of times. There's a consistent drumbeat of people who want Turn10 to drag the Motorsports side of the series even further in the Project Cars direction of ultra-realism at the expense of fun and CarPG elements. I'm pretty sure that would be a mis-step for the series. With even Gran Turismo trying to go further down the "hardcore sim" route with each iteration, the ultra-realistic end of the market is pretty crowded. Meanwhile, there still seem to be plenty of people who would like a good realistic-ish CarPG.
    I'm more of a sim racer so I am biased but I think Forza does need to go more down the sim route.

I dont think more realistic physics, wheel users able to be as quick as bad users and proper qualifying to race options mean it can't be a CarPG.

As long as they continue to provide great pad controls then everyone wins as it will be a fun game to play with assists on to serve the casuals. Project Cars just got this second part wrong but T10 have a lot more experience in this regard and Codemasters get it broadly right on the F1 games which lean more to sim.

It's got a big enough player base that skill based matchmaking can also help to smooth things out. I think (and also hope) that some additional CPU power next gen sees console racing games catch up with PC.

Edited by Daz190uk at 21:07:13 17-06-2019
  • Daz190uk 17 Jun 2019 21:06:45 377 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And, for what it's worth, I love Horizon 4. For an arcade game the cars handle pretty well with ok FFB on the wheel.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.