Resident Evil 2 (2019) Page 58

• y2rich 7 Feb 2019 13:01:32 3,495 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty sure he's referred to as Mr X in a couple of the side spinoff games set around RE2 as well.
  • Switch024 7 Feb 2019 13:06:59 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's not called that specifically in the game is he? I always remember him just being referred to as T-00 or Tyrant. Reading around online it seems like he was only called Mr. X in a novel released a year after the game came out and some random action figure. After hearing him following me around for the last couple of weeks he'll always be Mr. Stompy to me.
  • Rodderz 7 Feb 2019 13:14:46 3,951 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I see. Because the tyrant is such a mouthful?

Anyway, why don't they explain or even speculate in the game on who or what he is? He seems an anomaly story-wise, I mean it's all pretty batshit but they do seem to try to explain it all otherwise.
    The original did a better job of handling the whole arrival of Mr. X in the context of the story. In the original RE2 he is shown being dropped into the RPD station inside a canister from an Umbrella Corp. helicopter which is also carrying 5 other Tyrants. He literally crashes through the roof pretty much at the location the helicopter crashes in Remake.

He's essentially an Umbrella developed, obedient T-virus bio-weapon sent to clean up survivors and RPD officers, some of whom are aware of Umbrella's actions in the city like Chief Irons and the reporter, Ben. I think he's also supposed to try and get samples of the G-virus too, though I'm not sure on that point

Here's a vid of the original interactions with him, including his arrival: https://youtu.be/ct9y9lDX990

Edited by Rodderz at 13:15:34 07-02-2019
  • Switch024 7 Feb 2019 13:18:53 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually just seen the quote in the book. If this is where it came from it's pretty shit.

Claire grabbed another clip from her vest and fumbled through reloading, her brain crazily trying to name this walking abortion.
    Terminator, Frankenstein's monster, Dr. Evil, Mr. X-
  • Rodderz 7 Feb 2019 13:35:57 3,951 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought they'd just nicked the Mr. X name from Streets of Rage :)
  • ZuluHero 7 Feb 2019 13:59:03 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    not sure where the name came from, but I definitely knew him as MR X in the original.

I used to read a lot of mags like CvG in the 90s, I wonder if journos coined it because they weren't allowed to talk about him?
  • SnackPlissken 7 Feb 2019 14:33:07 1,021 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Claire B is nowhere near as fun in the police station as with Leon. He just appears far too quickly. Iím just running from point A to B to pick something up and then saving..
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 14:41:08 14,812 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the same going from Claire A to Leon B, I've found.
  • Rodderz 7 Feb 2019 15:01:36 3,951 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Claire B is nowhere near as fun in the police station as with Leon. He just appears far too quickly. Iím just running from point A to B to pick something up and then saving..
    😁 If it's similar to Leon B then once you get past the early part, you go back to the main RPD station areas a little later where you can rummage with a bit more peace... for a while at least!
  • askew 7 Feb 2019 15:38:18 19,307 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I whizzed through it too quickly, totally forgetting to grab the STARS dongle. Doh.
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 15:55:11 14,812 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a few odd inconsistencies in this. Like I think if you combine two green herbs, the resulting mix says "restores a medium amount of health". Other items like the sprays "restore full health". But in reality those things are the same - they both restore two chunks of health, from danger to fine. It's as if there was previously another tier of health status.
  • SnackPlissken 7 Feb 2019 15:56:36 1,021 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    😁 If it's similar to Leon B then once you get past the early part, you go back to the main RPD station areas a little later where you can rummage with a bit more peace... for a while at least!
    Ah nice! I managed to get the usb etc. Now in the garage again. Phew.
  • Switch024 7 Feb 2019 16:18:01 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    There's a few odd inconsistencies in this. Like I think if you combine two green herbs, the resulting mix says "restores a medium amount of health". Other items like the sprays "restore full health". But in reality those things are the same - they both restore two chunks of health, from danger to fine. It's as if there was previously another tier of health status.
    The health status indicators are slightly vague, sometimes 2 green herbs won't be enough take you from danger to fine and likewise 1 green herb won't always take you out of caution. If you combine 3 you'll always be restored to full health like a first aid spray.

Edited by Switch024 at 16:19:05 07-02-2019
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 16:30:31 14,812 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you sure? As far as I know, every time I was on caution it took just one green herb to get me back to fine, and every time I was on danger it took a spray, green/red or green/green to get back to fine. I don't think it was ever inconsistent in that - in my experience it was never vague, it was always absolute. This is on standard difficulty by the way.
  • Switch024 7 Feb 2019 16:52:26 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I've had it happen on standard difficulty.

In the original RE2 there's 2 stages to caution which covered from 25% health up to 75% and I believe it's the same in this.

Edited by Switch024 at 16:53:25 07-02-2019
  • Deleted user 7 February 2019 17:08:01
    Yeah you'd have a dark orange caution and a yellow one.

I've only played this on Hardcore so I've barely seen caution at all as most damage will put you straight on danger.
  • TheGreenYamo 7 Feb 2019 19:14:08 312 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are two levels of fine as well, green and yellowy-green.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Feb 2019 21:03:50 10,582 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really did not enjoy the Mr X sections in this.

The chase/stealth sections in RE7 were intense but this is just uncomfortable to play.

Also, in canon, given what he is and why he's there... why did Umbrella keep doing the other experiments? Surely he's all the genetically enhanced super soldier that you'd think they were originally aiming for
  • monkman76 7 Feb 2019 21:20:41 14,812 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's actually fairly shit though once you get used to him. I can see why they'd want a more advanced model.

As in, not very good at catching you. I enjoyed him as a game mechanic.

Edited by monkman76 at 21:21:30 07-02-2019
  • Malek86 8 Feb 2019 07:11:52 8,494 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As someone who's never played RE7 (aside from the demo, which I hear was not really accurate to the full game), is it more or less survival than the RE2 remake?
  • Switch024 8 Feb 2019 07:57:15 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's more, especially at the beginning, it's quite tense and scarier than this one. Once you're tooled up though it eases off and starts to feel like a normal Resi game.
  • monkman76 8 Feb 2019 08:16:52 14,812 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooh, both Revelations games are on sale on Switch. Is 1 really the better game? Most reviews seem to prefer 2.

Or should I just wait for the RE1 remake?
  • Switch024 8 Feb 2019 08:24:33 3,381 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd wait for REmake. It's the best of the rest.

The 1st Revelations game plays quite well on the Switch but there's a scanning mechanic that's crap and spoils the exploration. I haven't played the 2nd one so that could be quite a bit better to be fair.
  • Tuffty 8 Feb 2019 09:15:55 4,344 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    As someone who's never played RE7 (aside from the demo, which I hear was not really accurate to the full game), is it more or less survival than the RE2 remake?
    The opening hours of RE7 are some of the scariest the series ever gets. To me, it's biggest flaws are a third act which just drags on much further than it needed to be and of the handful of enemy types in the game, they are just not that interesting.
  • retro74 8 Feb 2019 09:25:12 2,857 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RE7 is just a brilliant, brilliant game. I didn't buy it at launch as I only saw snippets and assumed that it moved too far away from the old RE formula

Towards the end it did go off the rails like RE games tend to but those sections are really fun on replays once you have lots of hardware to experiment with
  • ZuluHero 8 Feb 2019 09:27:58 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Ooh, both Revelations games are on sale on Switch. Is 1 really the better game? Most reviews seem to prefer 2.

Or should I just wait for the RE1 remake?
    I think that's contrary to most people's experience. I really liked 1, it felt like a return to the series roots considering the series progression.

The boat bits are really well done.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2019 09:34:46
    retro74 wrote:
    RE7 is just a brilliant, brilliant game. I didn't buy it at launch as I only saw snippets and assumed that it moved too far away from the old RE formula

Towards the end it did go off the rails like RE games tend to but those sections are really fun on replays once you have lots of hardware to experiment with
    Lack of enemy variety is a bit of a downer.

But apart from that, it's quality.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Feb 2019 10:10:17 10,908 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the DLC worth getting for 7?
  • SnackPlissken 8 Feb 2019 10:21:20 1,021 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    He's actually fairly shit though once you get used to him. I can see why they'd want a more advanced model.

As in, not very good at catching you. I enjoyed him as a game mechanic.
    I didnít enjoy him in the library. I just want to move the bookcases... please just let me... oh ok...Iíll run to the stars office, and back again...
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2019 10:40:07 34,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the library was the hardest part. I did it with practically a second to spare

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.