Resident Evil 2 (2019) Page 16

• Trafford 3 Jan 2019 19:08:36 8,212 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I liked 5 a lot as well. Only played it single player but enjoyed multiple run throughs grinding whatever it was I was grinding.
    And I liked the setting, ahem.
  • mickerty 3 Jan 2019 19:22:44 336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What is this blasphemy of the sacred RE4 you are all talking about?! ;)

There is no question, absolutely ZERO question, that RE4 is the PINNACLE of the series.

The only two things I remember about RE2 are bad - Leon controls like a sloth, swimming in treacle on the far side of the moon, and that bloody type writer save mechanic.

I jest, but also, and very importantly I am very much correct!

I hope this is exactly like RE4 (not a jest!l
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Jan 2019 19:23:08 9,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    £39.99 on Amazon the best PS4 preorder price anyone's seen?

I'm assuming it'll be about £55 on digital until the summer sales start
  • richarddavies 3 Jan 2019 21:01:37 6,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like both styles for different reasons. In a perfect world for me I'd love it if they did the main series in the newer style but still released side games and spin offs in the old resi style.
  • SnackPlissken 3 Jan 2019 21:29:25 740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I donít want to play down RE4 as I liked it, but that A.I hand holding part. Come on. That was just fucking bad game design.
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Jan 2019 21:38:28 4,176 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RE4 is a masterpiece imo. I remember being sick at uni for the week it came out and playing it on the GameCube. So much fun and well ahead of its time. I couldn't figure out how they got a game so good looking and massive onto those tiny GameCube discs.

But even then I remember thinking it's not very Resident Evil. It's a bit like turning Gran Tourism into a cart racer. It would still technically be a racing game but it would be pretty different.

Probably a bad example but hopefully you know what I mean.

And it's not really the camera angle or tank controls, which is what most arguments about new and old styles tend to center on. It's pretty much everything else. 7 is living proof of this.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 21:40:16 03-01-2019
  • mickerty 4 Jan 2019 08:02:53 336 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FredClintstone

Yes it absolutely is! Now you mention it, is guess it is quite slow. Not RE2 slow but aye I get your point.

RE4 is dripping in tension from start to finish, everything about his game screams quality and clearly a huge amount of care has been poured into every aspect. The village, the house with Luis, the chainsaw guy, mercenaries mode. Can't wait for the switch release to play this again.

Not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm sure I've got heavy prescription rose tinted specs on, but there's no way you can say it's a bad game because of how bad RE5 and RE6 were. I would say with some confidence it is widely respected as a masterpiece of game design.
  • Trafford 4 Jan 2019 09:08:40 8,212 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The thing is, when Resi 4 originally came out much of it was not "dime a dozen."
    At the time it certainly felt very new to me.

Edited by Trafford at 09:12:04 04-01-2019
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Jan 2019 09:14:44 4,176 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was very original for its time. Just by the time 5 came along other games had emulated it and done it better (Gears etc).

By the time 6 came along the innovators had turned to emulators and it was almost farcical. They tried to freshen it up by bloating the game with content and removing tank controls. Horrible game.
  • Trafford 4 Jan 2019 09:17:57 8,212 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I gave up on 6 very quickly. Revelations 1&2 were okay and the lastest iteration of Raid mode I still play for the run and gun antics.
  • Switch024 4 Jan 2019 09:59:06 3,316 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Resi 4 was great, it just never felt much like Resident Evil to me. I hope they keep the feel of this remake of Resi 2 more in-line with the original rather than going too heavy on the action.

Resi 7 was first person and they got that spot on. From what they've showed so far it looks like they've nailed it. Only 3 weeks until we find out.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 4 Jan 2019 10:17:46 1,726 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Certainly looks like the happy medium between classic re and the re4 template.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2019 10:23:17 9,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whatever our views on how Resi feeling number four turned out to be I think we can all agree that it was a revelation in the portrayal of the colour brown in video games
  • retro74 4 Jan 2019 10:56:27 2,681 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've ordered this already, I never buy anything on Day 1 other than Dark Souls / Bloodborne etc but had to get RE2 as soon as possible

If it's even close to the magnificence of RE4 and RE5 I'll be more than happy
  • Humperfunk 4 Jan 2019 10:58:21 7,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sad to say I've cancelled my pre-order. It looks fucking incredible, but I'm really bad at scary games and every video of this makes me think there is no way I'll get past the first half hour so no real point in me spending money on it!

Will still be reading the thread for impressions though as like I say, it looks so good. Should really grow a pair and play!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Jan 2019 11:00:31 18,502 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Isn't this just a straight remake of RE2 with a different camera angle?
  • Switch024 4 Jan 2019 11:06:01 3,316 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Going off what they've shown so far it looks like they've addedd a fair bit to it. Imagine it'll be similar to the Resi 1 Remake where there's entire sections that weren't in the original game.
  • retro74 4 Jan 2019 11:18:16 2,681 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've no idea what it is, remake, totally different game etc? as I've avoided all news stories about it

I just knew I was buying it as soon as it was announced
  • Humperfunk 4 Jan 2019 11:22:37 7,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watching a vid last night (which convinced me I am too scared to play it), it's not a complete "remake" as they've added loads of stuff (including new areas such as an orphanage) and changed loads of things like enemy placements, puzzles, items etc to keep it fresh but also to cater for the new camera angle. They said something about how Capcom have stressed that it's not a "remake" in that sense as it will be noticeably different, although very familiar of course.

That's what the vid said anyway!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2019 11:36:37 9,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's a remake in plot and spirit rather a scene for scene retread. Which is good. Enough nostalgia and familiarity to hook us in but unfamiliar enough to keep us tense and surprised
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Jan 2019 13:23:51 4,176 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gonna go for the digital version on PS4. The delux one is only 8 quid more and you get all the bonuses so going to do that.

Was going to get the disc but who needs those fuckers anymore.

Also I have booked the day off work (not done this for a game in years) and don't want some crappy delivery service wasting a day of annual leave when it doesn't show up.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jan 2019 14:27:46 9,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mrs Maybe is due to give birth at the start of February so I've only got a small window to blitz it before the bodyhorror begins

Are the bonuses still just costumes? I'll probably skip if they are
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Jan 2019 14:29:35 4,176 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Couple of weapons too. All cosmetic though I think.
  • splosh 4 Jan 2019 14:33:26 194 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Think the deluxe edition allows you to play it with a mixed version of the PSone resi 2 soundtrack as well.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Jan 2019 14:35:01 4,176 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    splosh wrote:
    Think the deluxe edition allows you to play it with a mixed version of the PSone resi 2 soundtrack as well.
    Yeah that was what tipped it over for me. A nice touch.
  • Humperfunk 4 Jan 2019 14:43:32 7,923 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I think it's a remake in plot and spirit rather a scene for scene retread. Which is good. Enough nostalgia and familiarity to hook us in but unfamiliar enough to keep us tense and surprised
    Yeah that sums it up pretty nicely :)
  • Rodderz 4 Jan 2019 17:56:51 3,680 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Gonna go for the digital version on PS4. The delux one is only 8 quid more and you get all the bonuses so going to do that.
    👍 Yeah I'm going Digital Deluxe for this too. I'm so hyped to play RE2 again! I played REmake Remastered on PS4 last year and that was great to revisit having not played it since the Cube version in the early 00's.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.