Resident Evil 2 (2019) Page 3

• MatMan562 14 Jun 2018 01:31:53 3,467 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to this! I loved Resi 1, 4, 5 and 7 but have never played 2 or 3 so this is perfect to finally get the story of 2. I'm a little disappointed that it's not the traditional fixed perspective (an option for that would be really amazing if the rumour is indeed true) but I did enjoy the over the shoulder perspective of Resi 4 as well. I'm glad they seem to be keeping everything else very faithful though with the very limited inventory and the like.
  • cowell 14 Jun 2018 02:27:54 1,897 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lucky enough to play the demo at E3. Its very good. Had around 15 or 20 minutes in game which gave me chance to explore the lower eastern portion of the police station.

The camera initially felt a little close but actually it ended up working quite well. Claustrophobia was created by the fixed camera in the original. The free camera plus the flashlight delivers a similar feeling.

Shooting the zombies feels great. Only had the revolver and the knife but even a single shot with the revolver felt really punchy. The visual damage to the zombies was impressive.

I was very excited by the announcement. Now I’ve played it, this is at the top of my most wanted list
  • Humperfunk 14 Jun 2018 11:12:43 7,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just seen the actual gameplay footage, fucking hell that looks spectacular. Good chance this will end up being the greatest Resident Evil game of the lot.
  • Switch024 14 Jun 2018 11:53:49 3,378 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I've watched it a few times now and it looks awesome. Might have to play some Resi next to tide me over until Jan.
  • Deleted user 14 June 2018 14:28:50
    Been playing through Zero again on the hardest difficulty and getting annihilated over and over. I forgot how difficult these games are.
  • Humperfunk 14 Jun 2018 14:58:05 7,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Yeah I've watched it a few times now and it looks awesome. Might have to play some Resi next to tide me over until Jan.
    Definitely - finished 0 last week and going to go through 1 HD in the next couple of months in prep.
  • Derblington 14 Jun 2018 15:24:04 31,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first video here showing the limb dismemberment is cool, especially as the animation set changes when she's on the floor. Cool details.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1006955279165083662

Also wonderfully animated:
    https://twitter.com/Jawmuncher/status/1007005188098535424

I want this now, and I was going to skip it.

Edited by Derblington at 15:27:19 14-06-2018
  • Deleted user 14 June 2018 15:42:05
    OK. That's fucking cool.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Jun 2018 15:44:48 19,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was the original any good, I never got around to playing it?
  • Deleted user 14 June 2018 15:45:43
    It was fantastic. Took everything from the first game and expanded on it. I played it to absolute death as a teenager.
  • Deleted user 14 June 2018 15:49:04
    Aye I played it that much I got it down to under 2 hours completion time. It's been around 18 years since I last played it though. I'm going to fire it up again in a few weeks.
  • wuntyphyve 14 Jun 2018 16:25:44 12,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Derblington jesus, that looks awesome.

Same. This wasn't really on my radar despite me loving it back in the day. All changed now I've seen the footage and the limb dismemberment shit. It looks too good to skip.
  • cowell 14 Jun 2018 16:38:24 1,897 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Based on the 20 minute demo, I felt like it was giving me all the cool nostalgia that I wanted but wrapped up in a modern skin. Felt so good to back in the RCPD
  • Deleted user 14 June 2018 18:06:13
    I hope they release a demo on psn. I remember the original PS1 demo with OPM. Good times.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2018 18:29:11 10,273 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Was the original any good, I never got around to playing it?
    It's the best main series Resident Evil game.

Watching the 20 minute gameplay demo on Eurogamer and PlayStation Access I'm now fully hyped and totally get why they used 7s engine but changed the perspective.

The frantic panic of the camera and Leon being disorientated makes the zombies feel like a real threat for once too!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2018 18:29:57 10,273 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    I hope they release a demo on psn. I remember the original PS1 demo with OPM. Good times.
    I think I got it with Director's Cut. Absolutely played it into the ground.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jun 2018 18:54:01 13,245 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, that looks pretty special never played Resi 2 so this shall be introduction.
  • Rodderz 14 Jun 2018 20:26:10 3,939 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OK, so I've just seen this and holy shit, it looks absolutely incredible! Resi 2 was and still is my favourite RE game, I had/have so many memories of playing this back in my high school days and my mates even coming over to watch me play through it.

I remember one very specific moment when my friends were gathered (which might well be a little spoiler ahead if you haven't played RE2 yet) where you enter a police interrogation room with a two way mirror where Leon is on the non-see through side. One of my mates said, jokingly, 'I bet we're being watched by someone on the other side right now' and we all chuckled.... When the Licker came bursting through the glass we practically dived in different directions, screaming in terror and as the silence descended after getting over the initial shock we just looked at each other in a 'holy fucking shit...' kind of way. I think we were on edge through the whole rest of the game after that, amazing times and memories :D
  • Theninjagecko 14 Jun 2018 21:02:19 13 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've heard there will be a classic mode option for control scheme. Fantastic if true.
  • the_milkybar_kid 14 Jun 2018 21:12:27 7,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I never managed to finish any of the first 3 Resi's. But watched my best mate speedrun then back in the day. Just watched the 20 minutes on the front page, it's just like how I'd imagined a remake (Yeah I know). Love that they're using the same environment aesthetics from 1. It just looks dank, musty and old. The mean streets of Reckon City should make a nice contrast.
  • JoelStinty 14 Jun 2018 21:33:50 7,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just Echoing other comments, it looks amazing. One of my favourite games so really looking forward to seeing/playing more of this.

Only thing that concerns me is the camera looks a bit ...mental. It not too bad in Aoife's footage, but the playstation hands on, its all over the place, but that may be down to the developers rushing through the demo to talk about it.
  • JoelStinty 14 Jun 2018 21:37:43 7,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Theshape80 wrote:
    Hopefully there will be plenty of ammo to get you past a boss, but not nearly enough to kill every enemy. Every encounter should be a matter of life or death. Loved that in the early entries.
    I actually got to the last boss on the original once and i had ran out of ammo haha, and i couldn't finish the game. I don't think it was the first time i completed it though, it must have been a second or third play through thankfully. But fucking hell just imagine doing that on your first play through?
  • Dgzter 14 Jun 2018 21:57:11 2,780 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I actually got to the last boss on the original once and i had ran out of ammo haha, and i couldn't finish the game.
    Wait, you're not talking about the original Resident Evil here, right? On the Helipad?

I sure hope not, as none of the conventional ammo makes a difference in that fight anyway: you need to wait until the NPC drops the Rocket Launcher within the boss encounter.

Edited by Dgzter at 21:57:41 14-06-2018
  • JoelStinty 14 Jun 2018 22:21:29 7,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    I actually got to the last boss on the original once and i had ran out of ammo haha, and i couldn't finish the game.
    Wait, you're not talking about the original Resident Evil here, right? On the Helipad?

I sure hope not, as none of the conventional ammo makes a difference in that fight anyway: you need to wait until the NPC drops the Rocket Launcher within the boss encounter.
    Nah it was on resi 2. I can't remember the ending that well these days, when you are on the train or carriage.
  • quadfather 15 Jun 2018 09:45:35 34,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really up for this, looks bloody brilliant. I'm going to have to go through the original again now, just because of that demo.

Also, I like these features -

Some more interesting details:

Claire and Leon have separate campaigns this time around, instead of the simpler A and B scenarios of the original.

At one point the camera zooms in on the gruesome missing jaw of a dead police officer, and man, that is some gore. If you like gross levels of detail, you're in luck with this engine.

Some other cool touches: you'll be able to pull a knife out of a zombie's body after you killed them, if it's durable enough.

You'll find some supplies like boards you can use to block off windows.

You can shoot zombies in the legs to bring them down.

Some areas in downtown Raccoon City from the original game that you could only look at—guessing that means some buildings that were previously just facades—will now be explorable, and some characters will have more fleshed-out stories than they did before.
  • The12thMonkey 15 Jun 2018 10:37:38 541 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I loved the footage. It looks like it has respect for the source material without being reverential.

I can understand the lack of A and B - from what I remember, they were a bit of a hand wave to give the impression of more content, weren't they? Might have to replay before the remake appears to see if I've remembered that correctly. I did like the way that was all set up in the original, though. The car crash, do they hit head first, or spin and rear end into the wall, coupled with who was driving at the time. It was a neat trick.

Really looking forward to this. I've bounced off more recent horror games including (to my slight shame, TLOU, despite several attempts), and I hope this is more in line with the style I like, which is equal parts puzzle and survival.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2018 10:41:15
    The A & B scenarios did give the game a bit of longevity, but they weren't really essential. It was a novel idea for the time though. You'd get different items and cinematics, plus you'd have to leave certain items if you wanted to collect them in the second characters playthrough.

I'm not really that bothered they've omitted it. It was a gimmick at best and didn't really add all that much to the game.

I'm starting with Claire this time. I'm glad I will only be seeing the back of her head for most of the game as she looks like Pete Burns in this.
  • Humperfunk 15 Jun 2018 10:52:53 7,996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz Hahahaha superb :D
  • Theninjagecko 15 Jun 2018 10:55:58 13 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyoen else mentioned the modern Ui ? I see a lot of games doing this, old rustick setting but modern ui and map... it just doesnt look right to me.

I want an old school inventory screen etc.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jun 2018 10:58:21 10,273 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A and B worked so well back then but it makes total sense to have two campaigns for the REmake. I'm guessing from the footage Leon gets sort of his A campaign and Claire gets what was her B.

I'm looking forward to seeing Birkin's transformations in the new engine. And how gross the nude zombies look.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.