Emigrating

First Previous
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 09:44:44 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am getting the fuck out.

I have a year-long work visa, and I should (hopefully) be able to stay for longer as MrsLzd is a native. I'm in the process of selling almost all of my possessions and putting what's left into storage until I'm ready to ship it out. I'm saying my goodbyes to everyone over the next few weeks. I'm only four weeks away from leaving and I am not apprehensive at all, just ready to go.

I know a few EG-ers are emigrants, is there anything I need to think about? Is there anything that I wouldn't anticipate that might come up?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Jun 2018 09:48:25 20,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where you going?
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 09:50:25 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good question: Wellington, New Zealand.
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jun 2018 09:51:53 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I've been there, reminds me of Lincoln.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 09:53:04 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Oh I've been there, reminds me of Lincoln.
    :D
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jun 2018 09:56:15 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My mate went there and he loved it and really didn't want to come back.
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2018 09:56:30 10,908 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    It could be worse, I guess.

It's not Australia at least.
  • macmurphy 15 Jun 2018 09:58:26 3,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I heard the beef is amazing and that they make amazing boots.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 10:02:28 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I should say that I already spent the best part of two years there and loved it. The beef was amazing (and cheap), as were the pies. I don't know about boots though. They do a type of fizzy pop called Foxton Fizz as well and that's amazing. The beaches are beautiful.

@challenge_hanukkah
    What's wrong with Australia/NZ. I should say I've never been to Aus.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 10:07:40 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @thelzdking

I seriously hope you don't come back mate, in a good way of course. I think you previously told me you had a plan B in case of shit, so get out there and fucking enjoy life.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Jun 2018 10:08:21 6,239 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fack off to your wife's own country
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Jun 2018 10:14:10 7,232 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Good choice. Of all the cities there I liked Wellington most, apart from the bloody wind. Although Auckland apparently has some nice areas but to me it felt relatively rough and drab. Only thing I personally didn't like about NZ was the sense of how remote it is.

As someone who moved countries several times and lived abroad almost half my life, all I can say is keep an open mind, don't constantly compare things to what they've been at home (a lot of people do that, including myself at the start, and it's quite tiresome for others and oneself!), don't gather up too much stuff (if you move again, less things to worry about!) unless you know you settle for good.

Best of luck and enjoy the early phase until all-day-routine sets in and you start moaning about life there;)
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 10:35:18 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Cheers man, I hope Andorra is good too!

@KnuttinAtoll Cheers for the advice. Where else have you lived?

I spent a couple of weeks in Auckland, and I lived in Christchurch and Wellington. Auckland was just another big city, nothing wrong with it, but meh.

Wellington is lovely, aside from the interminable wind. It's got loads of good food and scenery, and MrsLzd swears that she will take me to see a penguin in Eastbourne, which is not like UK Eastbourne, apparently.

Christchurch I actually liked the best, despite it still being seriously fucked from the earthquake. This is probably because I was able to live opposite the beach on menial pay in a seaside suburb which is considered a dump, but that I learned to love.

I quite like the remoteness, although I know what you mean. I've known other Brits out there to complain about the lack of "real news", which I considered a good thing. I do realise that I'll probably have to go to Aus if I want to see certain bands or go to a big music festival, but hey-ho.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 10:36:03 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Fack off to your wife's own country
    :D

Did you go back to Canada?
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 10:47:28 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @thelzdking

I think it will be even better in Andorra ever since I found out about a music festival there with an interesting name...

http://visitandorra.com/en/agenda/jambo-street-music/

I think it was fate.
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Jun 2018 10:52:58 7,232 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @thelzdking never ventured outside the EU (UK, IE, BE, DE) long-term other than travelling. Went backpacking for half a year in Oz/NZ so have seen a fair bit of both countries though, albeit from a traveller's perspective which isn't obviously the same as living somewhere.

Wellington is also cool logistically because you can take a ferry or plane to the South Island (which I preferred over the North one purely from a scenic perspective) for weekend breaks.

If you're into nature and wildlife it's an amazingly varied country (and I preferred it over Oz for that reason alone), I'll definitely be back in the future for an extended road trip. One thing that will always stick in my memory is how "tall/high" the sky looked like (sounds stupid but it's hard to describe), during sunny days in particular.

Staying in hostels mainly and on a relative shoestring budget meant you don't really get a proper feel for the country and its people though but generally speaking I found the Kiwis a bit more approachable and genuine compared to the Aussies, but then anecdotal experience and all that.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 10:54:34 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JamboWayOh
    That sounds really cool. How long you out there for?

You could set up a little street food thing for the festival as a sideline. You could sell jam and spam.

Edited by thelzdking at 10:55:04 15-06-2018
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jun 2018 10:55:12 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty sure they eat black people in Andorra Jambo.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2018 10:56:51
    Brexit means Brexit!
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Jun 2018 10:58:14 7,232 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Backstop means Brekfast!
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 11:00:04 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Pretty sure they eat black people in Andorra Jambo.
    I'm only half black. Would that mean I get a head start while they try to figure where I'm from?
  • Frogofdoom 15 Jun 2018 11:01:23 13,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They might only eat the black bits.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 11:02:51 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @thelzdking

A year minimum, obviously depends on how I get on if I stay longer. I'm definitely not coming back to England for anything longer than a visit to family and friends.
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Jun 2018 11:04:54 7,232 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually I have another piece of advice I'm currently trying to follow myself (quite successfully so far since moving here).

Don't indulge too much, if possible not at all, in local news/politics. It can really sour your view of the people of your host country.

There's so much stupid/petty/annoying stuff going on everywhere it's better for your own well being to just ignore all that noise and enjoy life in perfect ignorance, while everyone else around you probably hates each other's guts (and yours possibly!).
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 11:09:29 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    They might only eat the black bits.
    /Looks up whitening cream on Amazon, puts into cart .

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:09:44 15-06-2018
  • Derblington 15 Jun 2018 11:15:15 31,689 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The hardest part is typically the lack of friends of family, but moving with a partner will make that much easier. Everything else is largely replaceable/adjustable.
    It'll change your perspective on a lot of things. I think everyone should try it if they have the opportunity.

I moved to Stockholm 12 years ago. I don't think I ever felt it particularly difficult, just different. There is a learning curve when the language is different, but I already knew some people at the company and had a bit of a social network that helped just settling into life.
    I moved my ex out here 3 years ago and it was much, much easier for her (social groups, understanding of the local cultural differences, etc), and I imagine this'll be in line with what you have with your wife. Plus, NZ is going to be similar to the UK in the majority of ways already.

Just try to enjoy it as much as possible before it becomes the norm.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2018 11:18:56 13,617 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Lzds gf already lives in NZ.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 11:31:45 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The nature is amazing. It has such wilderness. I agree about the sky, travelling through the Canterbury Plains was almost like how you imagine the Mid-West USA. I definitely preferred the South Island, as it has a much more 'you are at the ends of the earth' feel to it, especially the east coast.

I've never been to Aus, although I will at some point. I met a fair few Aussies and they were all decent people, but definitely a lot more full-on than Kiwis. Someone told me that Kiwis were Canadians to Aussies Americans, which had some truth to it.

I've 'gone off' the news recently, as it's depressing, but in NZ I have seen the evening news lead with a story about a non-fatal car crash, which is quite reassuring really. I was over there when the Bataclan attack happened and it felt so distant.
  • thelzdking 15 Jun 2018 11:35:23 9,409 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah MrsLzd (thelzdqueen?) lives out there already, so she can Kiwi-ify me. She already taught me that I can't just "pack a sad" if I "don't want a bar" of something.
  • sport 15 Jun 2018 11:39:25 15,069 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm taking jambo to SA. That's where the action is.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.