Which movie do you hate the most, and why? Page 2

• thelzdking 11 Jul 2018 15:13:47 8,510 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Interstellar - Genuinely one of the stupidest movies ever made. It would have been enjoyable if it hadn't pretended to be so clever. Tries to take itself seriously, then in the middle of the fucking mission they have to explain to the CAPTAIN OF A FUCKING SPACESHIP what a black hole is.
    Half of Christopher Nolan's career IMO.

The Fast & Furious one with the 20km runway in it.

Because of the 20km runway in it.
    That was the best one! :)
    I've never seen Inception and Interstellar put me off despite the glowing acclaim. I very rarely get riled up by a film, but Interstellar really, really pissed me off.
  • monkman76 11 Jul 2018 15:15:01 13,416 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Love Actually.

A rom-com that isn't funny in the slightest and pretty much every character is appalling, but particularly Andrew Lincoln's creepy cunt.
    Oh, you got there first. Yeah, that scene with the signs at the front door is the most cringeworthy thing ever committed to film.
  • beastmaster 11 Jul 2018 15:19:02 18,645 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    This!!!! Here it is in full. It became an edurance test.

Can't really see a reason to hate that, to be honest. The title tells you what it is going to be about. You get a good feel for how it's going to pan out within the first few seconds. As far as doing what the director intended goes, it's a 10/10.

Unless the twist is there are only 12 lakes with one of them used twice, in which case 0/10 would not lake again.
    l

We knew what it was going to be going in. You’d think it would be quite a relaxing and almost zen like watch. It was so excruciatingly boring after the first 10 minutes. People were leaving in droves and then it became an endurance test. People seemed to leave after a particular segment finished. The (admittedly smallish) cinema was full and by the end there were only 10 of us left. Me and my mate have a laugh about this to this day. Everyone who went in was given an essay by the director which started off with “This is a challenging piece of work”

The director was supposed to be there for a Q&A but he was at an earlier showing and had to go back to LA due to “unseen circumstances”.
  • anephric 11 Jul 2018 15:20:48 2,985 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Magnolia. I like PT Anderson more than a bit but ugh.

I'VE SUCKED SO MANY COCCCCKKS.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2018 15:23:13
    A Serbian film. Knew nothing about it but was recommended to me.

Horrible nasty film with some fucked up scenes. It's kind of put me off watching any horror type film these days even though I wouldn't class it as horror. Anyway do not watch this shit.
  • thedaveeyres 11 Jul 2018 15:23:55 13,690 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    B A C K D R A F T

A

C

K

D

R

A

F

T
  • Garfy 11 Jul 2018 15:24:11 1,338 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wild Wild West.

Tied with Terminator 3
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Jul 2018 15:24:36 5,939 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Interstellar - Genuinely one of the stupidest movies ever made. It would have been enjoyable if it hadn't pretended to be so clever. Tries to take itself seriously, then in the middle of the fucking mission they have to explain to the CAPTAIN OF A FUCKING SPACESHIP what a black hole is.
    Half of Christopher Nolan's career IMO.

The Fast & Furious one with the 20km runway in it.

Because of the 20km runway in it.
    That was the best one! :)
    Let's just say it wasn't the worst entry to the series, that we can agree on!
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jul 2018 15:26:47 18,476 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    How many of these films do people actually *hate*? Yeah, they are shit, but it's not like they are an Indiana Jones 4 or an exorcist 2 that get people viscerally angry.
    But this thread is intended to be for the things that you personally get the most shitty about. And it can be for whatever reason you like.

I do genuinely hate my nomination. It might not be as objectively bad as other things, but we want the personal touch here.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Jul 2018 15:31:32 5,939 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If we talk directors, then David Lynch. For that awful feeling of having wasted 2+ hours without any payoff at the end and none the wiser what the fuck you just watched.
  • ghearoid 11 Jul 2018 15:35:15 3,052 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hm, hate is a strong word. The only film I've ever been so bored with that I had to walk out of the cinema is Tim Burton's Batman, the first one. I liked Batman Returns though, very much.

Oh, and I went to see Jane Campion's Portrait of a Lady twice at the cinema and fell asleep each time. I tried to watch it years later when it turned up on telly but I always fall asleep. No idea how it ends.
  • RyanDS 11 Jul 2018 15:38:29 12,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did hate the Lord of the Rings, the first movie especially.

I was a nerd who loved Tolkein and I was genuinely fucking enraged. I still wish they had got someone who had read the book to direct the films, but over the years I have mellowed and actually really enjoy them now, I just accept they ignore all the themes of the book for the surface fun. I have grown up a bit since then...

Apart from what they did with Gimli, that still irks me.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Jul 2018 15:48:54 15,927 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What themes did they ignore?
  • GarlVinland 11 Jul 2018 15:50:24 3,590 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    If we talk directors, then David Lynch. For that awful feeling of having wasted 2+ hours without any payoff at the end and none the wiser what the fuck you just watched.
    I love that feeling! Favourite director, the only one really creating genuinely strange fever dream-type movies. I'm a weirdo though.
  • minky-kong 11 Jul 2018 15:50:41 13,909 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    Love Actually.

A rom-com that isn't funny in the slightest and pretty much every character is appalling, but particularly Andrew Lincoln's creepy cunt.
    Oh, you got there first. Yeah, that scene with the signs at the front door is the most cringeworthy thing ever committed to film.
    Yup, the only good thing that came from that abysmal film is that brilliant Jezebel article tearing it apart scene by scene.
  • brokenkey 11 Jul 2018 15:59:19 9,845 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

We knew what it was going to be going in. You’d think it would be quite a relaxing and almost zen like watch. It was so excruciatingly boring after the first 10 minutes. People were leaving in droves and then it became an endurance test. People seemed to leave after a particular segment finished. The (admittedly smallish) cinema was full and by the end there were only 10 of us left. Me and my mate have a laugh about this to this day. Everyone who went in was given an essay by the director which started off with “This is a challenging piece of work”

The director was supposed to be there for a Q&A but he was at an earlier showing and had to go back to LA due to “unseen circumstances”.
    And yet BBC 4 have made this into "event tv" with their Slow TV series (like the christmas eve sleigh ride). It's brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05ttkx2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Aboard-Sleigh-Ride-Slow/dp/B01M02JFL7
  • Rhaegyr 11 Jul 2018 16:03:59 4,578 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Attack the Block or 300.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Jul 2018 16:07:05 31,836 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Phantom Menace.

Obvious, I know. But it is just so indescribably, anger-inducingly shit and it basically ruined the world.
  • nudistpete 11 Jul 2018 16:13:35 404 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    TRAFFIC.

A mate of mine gave me the DVD (this is when DVD's cost £15 a pop) because he thought it was shit.

"B-but the box says it's won 46 oscars and it's got loads of decent actors in it??!? You must be wrong, this looks amazing!!!111"

What followed was surely the dullest and most patronising 93 hours* of cinema ever committed to celluloid. Heavy orange filter put on the camera to remind people when the scene was set in Mexico, heavy blue filter put on every scene in the US. Dull slow paced dialog that could induce a permanent coma.

I've paid to see some proper shit at the movies that I'd never watch again, but I'd gladly watch any of those thrice over than watch half an hour of Traffic. Even Show Dogs or that terrible romance parody movie with the ginger bird out of Buffy which I didn't even laugh at once.

(* might be a slight exaggeration)

Edited by nudistpete at 16:14:12 11-07-2018
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Jul 2018 16:16:26 7,747 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Attack the Block or 300.
    I'm with you on Attack the Block.

Utter cack.
  • DJCopa 11 Jul 2018 16:25:30 1,614 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blues Brothers 2000 - The first is perfection - this, not so much...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jul 2018 16:26:53 12,309 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate Forest Gump. Fucking awful sentimental ridiculous patronising regressive cloying manipulative bullshit. It’s also not particularly original. Being There is way better.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Jul 2018 16:28:21 8,947 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anything superhero related excluding spider- and ironman.
    Just one big CGI fuckfest with a green lady, a talking trash panda and a fucking living tree?
    No thank you. I can understand it if you grew up on the comics, but that's not me.
  • nudistpete 11 Jul 2018 16:32:30 404 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Just one big CGI fuckfest with a green lady, a talking trash panda and a fucking living tree?
    Obligatory Charlie Brooker doing mental in a dustbin re: CGI
  • captain-Snufkin 11 Jul 2018 16:37:05 498 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    I always think anyone could put weird bollox together and call themselves an artist. I did like Wild At Heart, but I think he tempered his creepy randomness with something of a narrative quite well didn't he?
  • RyanDS 11 Jul 2018 16:42:29 12,048 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    What themes did they ignore?
    Notably the rise of man was undermined by the elves turning up at the battle of helms deep. And the complete character assassination of Gimli, Elf acrobatics and so on. Losing the scouring of the Shire undermined the fall of Saruman. Removing Tom Bombadil made the world smaller as he is there to show there are greater things than just this little adventure...

Basically I felt that it was the equivalent of making a Jesus movie where he is a cool bro who turns water into wine, hangs around with hookers and gets angry in a bank. Technically things that happened in narrative, but rather missing the point.

Nowadays I love the series. As I say, I was a nerd.

I don't hate the Hobbit trilogy only as I have hardly watched any. The cognitive dissonance in the first where it was jumping between funny wizard with pooh on his head silly childrens movie and rather graphic orc dismembering serious lore movie just meant it was a confusing mess that bored me.
  • bad09 11 Jul 2018 16:44:24 8,493 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Titanic. Hate it with a passion.

One of the biggest maritime disasters the world has ever seen and they focus on a made up love triangle story effectively turning it into a chick flick complete with a dreadful soppy theme song by Celine fucking Dion.

King of the world my arse. You want a proper film about the Titanic fuck this drivel and watch A Night To Remember.
  • thelzdking 11 Jul 2018 16:44:32 8,510 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I hate Forest Gump. Fucking awful sentimental ridiculous patronising regressive cloying manipulative bullshit. It’s also not particularly original. Being There is way better.
    I was struggling to think of a film that I hated other than Interstellar, but yes, this. And Being There is amazing.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Jul 2018 16:48:24 8,947 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Titanic. Hate it with a passion.

One of the biggest maritime disasters the world has ever seen and they focus on a made up love triangle story effectively turning it into a chick flick complete with a dreadful soppy theme song by Celine fucking Dion.

King of the world my arse. You want a proper film about the Titanic fuck this drivel and watch A Night To Remember.
    I was 14 at the time and was totally in love with Kate Winslut.
  • Max_Powers 11 Jul 2018 16:49:15 1,236 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Films that will make me lash out to you for mentioning in a conversation that you like them

Three Billboards
    Crash
    American Beauty
    The life of David Gale
    Etc.

I guess what they all have in common is that these films patronizingly sell a superficial morality that appeals to bourgeois people.

Edited by Max_Powers at 19:46:18 11-07-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.