Following The Car Advice Thread

First Previous
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 22:38:06 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couldn't find a relevant thread so here we go....

I'm looking for a new motor to replace my ancient Saab 9-3, I'm looking for something a bit smaller, more modern and economical with some of the save advantages. I've almost saved up enough so starting to try different cars.

Requirements

- Very comfortable on long journeys
    - Enjoyable to Drive
    - Luxurious Interior
    - Decent power/economy balance
    - Petrol
    - Reliable
    - 2-5 years old,
    - Less than 50,000km
    - Memory Seats (gf and I drive equally and it's been a godsend in the Saab)

At the weekend we tried a Volvo V40 Sport 200 (Manual) and a Mercedes A200 AMG Line (Auto).
    Really liked the Volvo, fantastic dash, great seats and lovely to drive.
    The Merc was fine although didn't click with us quite as much but the auto gearbox was fantastic.

Looking to try an Audi A3 although they're much less pretty than the two above and a Merc GLA.

What else?
    Mazda 3 - Looks ok, will be reliable but interior feels not as nice.
    Golf - No cheaper than an A3 here.
    BMW 1 Series - Need an AWD for winter here and only come in diesels except the 135i which is a bit thirsty.
    Seat Leon/Ford Focus - ok but not as pretty inside or out.
    Mini?

Any advice much appreciated.
  • retro74 17 Jul 2018 22:40:57 2,870 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thereís a thread for this Iím sure

I drive a Golf R Estate and a Renault Clio Trophy, both are 5/5 cars but the Golf is better as a daily

Had an Audi before though and they are a class above from my VW
  • Fake_Blood 17 Jul 2018 22:48:40 9,729 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Model 3
  • ZuluHero 17 Jul 2018 22:52:54 7,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skoda fabia. Basically a polo, in fact my engine is exactly the same with genuine vw parts. Interior is a bit basic but there are mod cons, upgrades, bells and whistles. Good MPG, get around 55mpg out of mine, though mostly motorway and duel carriageway miles. Not had any major problems with it and keep the services up to date (actually take it to the VW dealership for them) You could probably buy a brand new one for the price of a second hand car in your list.

If its too low spec, you could look at the Octavia, I quite like the look of that, especially the saloon version, so might get one next. I'd always gotten VWs in the past, and never thought I'd advocate Skoda, but I really like them.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 22:54:22 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Model 3
    They're not available yet.
  • Fake_Blood 17 Jul 2018 22:55:38 9,729 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Focus is about to update bay the way.

• bladdard 17 Jul 2018 23:00:28 1,382 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Golf TSI but youíll need a decent spec to get leather and memory seats. The Mazda 3 is excellent too and comes with some pokey but frugal engines but I donít think it has memory seats.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 23:02:41 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Focus is about to update bay the way.

I just had a look, looks pretty good tbh.
    Maybe the next car :)
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Jul 2018 23:02:49 6,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Get one with a Technogel headrest, they really are a godsend in summer
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 23:05:15 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Golf TSI but youíll need a decent spec to get leather and memory seats. The Mazda 3 is excellent too and comes with some pokey but frugal engines but I donít think it has memory seats.
    Something like this?
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 23:05:31 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Get one with a Technogel headrest, they really are a godsend in summer
    If only that were possible.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jul 2018 23:34:01 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neyla12 wrote:
    They're not available yet ?
    Not in Europe.
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Jul 2018 02:17:47 1,760 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My tip, avoid anything that's not a proper manual if you want to keep it for a long time.
  • macmurphy 18 Jul 2018 04:17:07 3,984 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
  • Frogofdoom 18 Jul 2018 07:52:35 14,230 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh you will be going on the list for that.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jul 2018 08:13:29 14,592 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    BMW 1 Series - Need an AWD for winter here and only come in diesels except the 135i which is a bit thirsty.
    3-series maybe? AWD is available starting with the 320, and I think all your other requirements are met too
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jul 2018 08:24:40 9,729 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thereís going to be a new 3 series before the end of the year too.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 08:24:41 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    3-series maybe? AWD is available starting with the 320, and I think all your other requirements are met too
    Cheers.
    Yeah, I was hoping for something a bit smaller but may be worth a look.
  • lordofthedunce 18 Jul 2018 08:41:07 597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slightly off-topic: If you're buying VW group car a couple of years old it'll have no warranty left, should anything go wrong you'll be left in the lurch. Also, avoid VW group cars which had the emissions "fix" a couple of years back (although these are diesels) as performance is meant to be worse after the engine remapping.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 08:51:02 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    Slightly off-topic: If you're buying VW group car a couple of years old it'll have no warranty left, should anything go wrong you'll be left in the lurch.
    Why is there no warranty?
  • dominalien 18 Jul 2018 08:55:05 9,273 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A Mazda CX-5? It's about as big as a Focus.

If that's too big, maybe a CX-3, but I don't know it well enough to tell if it ticks all your boxes.

Edited by dominalien at 08:56:29 18-07-2018
  • lordofthedunce 18 Jul 2018 09:08:38 597 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    Slightly off-topic: If you're buying VW group car a couple of years old it'll have no warranty left, should anything go wrong you'll be left in the lurch.
    Standard warranty is 3 years/36000 miles. Clutch is 6 months. DSG clutch on smaller VW engines is has been known for problems.
    If I was going to buy a 2-5 year old car it wouldn't be a VW group car! Obviously interior and driver appeal is high for VW, but I'd say Honda, Toyota etc are better buys at 3+ years old. Hyundai and Kia have 5/7 year warranties.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 09:09:14 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    A Mazda CX-5? It's about as big as a Focus.

If that's too big, maybe a CX-3, but I don't know it well enough to tell if it ticks all your boxes.
    Cheers.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jul 2018 09:25:39 14,592 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    Standard warranty is 3 years/36000 miles. Clutch is 6 months. DSG clutch on smaller VW engines is has been known for problems.
    If I was going to buy a 2-5 year old car it wouldn't be a VW group car! Obviously interior and driver appeal is high for VW, but I'd say Honda, Toyota etc are better buys at 3+ years old. Hyundai and Kia have 5/7 year warranties.
    Haven't had one myself, but I've also read and heard a lot about problems with VW engines and transmissions. Cam chains, TSI engines, DSG etc. For all the great driving characteristics, finish, comfort etc. there often seem to be reliability issues where it hurts most. "I wouldn't want a VW again" is something I've heard pretty often from acquaintances. Cars with lesser reputation like Ford and Opel/Vauxhall seem to be more robust in this regard.
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Jul 2018 09:52:27 1,760 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a 5 year old golf diesel (bought two years ago), avoided the DSG as mentioned already, been good as gold and a plenty of clever little features, on 70K now. I keep cars for about 8 years or until they become too expensive to keep going, I didn't get a golf before this one and regretted it for 8 years though I did have one before that last one. I know plenty of people who have stuck with VW's for decades, I think generally VW cars are still largely pretty good (there are well know to be a few duds in the range) but really this is not the best forum for finding a car!
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 10:29:11 7,438 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cheers.
    As a (very happy) 3 touring owner I can tell you they're not really that big:) Was initially going for a 5 series but decided against it in the end, and glad I did as the size and utility of the 3 is perfect for my needs (single couple with the odd couple of passengers, and occasional big shop/bulky transport where the estate factor comes in handy).

Mine is 5 years old, and even with the (super smooth) 8 speed gearbox and RWD I had no problem driving through snow covered Austria during the last winter (although didn't try going up skiing slopes either).

Very fuel efficient (doing 1000km+ with one tank is possible) although it's the Diesel and I have to say with the laws changing everywhere (incl bans) my next car won't be a Diesel unfortunately - shame as it's a rock solid engine (2l) and despite 160k+ on the clock still feels and drives like a new car.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 10:45:20 27,418 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cheers.
    As a (very happy) 3 touring owner I can tell you they're not really that big:) Was initially going for a 5 series but decided against it in the end, and glad I did as the size and utility of the 3 is perfect for my needs (single couple with the odd couple of passengers, and occasional big shop/bulky transport where the estate factor comes in handy).

Mine is 5 years old, and even with the (super smooth) 8 speed gearbox and RWD I had no problem driving through snow covered Austria during the last winter (although didn't try going up skiing slopes either).

Very fuel efficient (doing 1000km+ with one tank is possible) although it's the Diesel and I have to say with the laws changing everywhere (incl bans) my next car won't be a Diesel unfortunately - shame as it's a rock solid engine (2l) and despite 160k+ on the clock still feels and drives like a new car.
    Cheers but my gf is a bit nervous driving in the snow so it's FWD+Winter Tyres at a minimum. I know modern RWD cars have improved a lot but I'd rather be safer than sorry with her.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.