Following The Car Advice Thread Page 6

• Armoured_Bear 20 Sep 2018 21:04:21 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Not to mention that modern Volvos are pseudo-posh vehicles for people with no sense of taste, so I'm sure it's not the right car for you
    What else would you suggest?
    Hmm...

If you want a truly posh car, get a Range Rover.
    If you want a car for someone who dreams of being posh, get a Volvo.
    If you want an excellent car and are an utter knob, get an Audi.
    If you want an excellent car and are a somewhat decent person, get a BMW.
    If you want an excellent car and have abhorrent taste, get a Merc.
    If you want a good car and don't mind looking like a dullard, get a VW.
    If you want a good car at a slightly better price and don't mind looking like a dullard, get a Skoda.
    If you want a good car at a slightly better price and fancy a little bit of style and sportiness, get a Seat.
    If you want a good car at good value and don't mind image at all, get a Ford/Opel/Vauxhall.
    If you want a bad car with style, get an Alfa.
    If you want a good car with style, get a Jag.
    If you want... no, don't get a Fiat.
    If you want a shit car with no redeeming features, get a French car.
    If you're an axe murderer, get some American car.
    If you're intelligent, probably get a Toyota or Mazda.
    No Honda or Lexus love?
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2018 21:16:01 14,377 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well Lexus is Toyota after all. I'm just not sure I'd buy a Lexus if I can get a BMW at the same price.
    Honda, good shout. I find it difficult to place them in that scientific list, afaik they don't have quite the reliability credentials of Toyota and Mazda, but they're pretty good and make some neat sporty cars with great understating style (read: Civic Type R). I'd definitely consider a Honda.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:23:43 20-09-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Sep 2018 21:31:20 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Well Lexus is Toyota after all. I'm just not sure I'd buy a Lexus if I can get a BMW at the same price.
    Honda, good shout. I find it difficult to place them in that scientific list, afaik they don't have quite the reliability credentials of Toyota and Mazda, but they're pretty good and make some neat sporty cars with great understating style (read: Civic Type R). I'd definitely consider a Honda.
    I need FWD or AWD and memory seats, petrol, reasonable consumption and not too huge.

No suitable BMW IS available.
    AClass/GLA or Volvo v40 current faves bit a Mazda 3 would be sensible
  • retro74 20 Sep 2018 21:32:57 2,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear if you do get a Volvo donít get that one, the colour combination is abhorrent

It will date really quickly too
  • elstoof 20 Sep 2018 21:42:22 23,688 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

If you want a truly posh car, get a Range Rover.
    This is where I stopped reading
  • elstoof 20 Sep 2018 21:45:21 23,688 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    320i xDrive and job done
  • fontgeeksogood 20 Sep 2018 21:51:12 6,541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm surprised you want a car. Don't you want...
    /revs motorcycle
    9 million bicycles?
    /peels off popping huge wheelie
  • elstoof 20 Sep 2018 22:01:34 23,688 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Before you write off a 3 series as ďtoo hugeĒ, consider that itís only 10Ē longer and 2Ē wider than a 1 series
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2018 22:03:50 14,377 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you must insist on memory seats, that may be a problem, very few offer that in compact cars. Volvo does, but owning a Volvo will negatively impact your reputation.
  • fontgeeksogood 20 Sep 2018 22:04:54 6,541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tempur seats
  • elstoof 20 Sep 2018 22:16:13 23,688 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Imagine how blissful that sleep would be just as you career into oncoming traffic
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Sep 2018 22:31:14 20,401 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's the boot storage like on those Volvos?
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 06:55:52 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear if you do get a Volvo donít get that one, the colour combination is abhorrent

It will date really quickly too
    Cheers, those were my doubts although I do admit to liking a bit of cream leather.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 06:57:45 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    If you must insist on memory seats, that may be a problem, very few offer that in compact cars. Volvo does, but owning a Volvo will negatively impact your reputation.
    Why would a Volvo be worse than an Audi, BMW or a Merc?
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 06:58:44 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Before you write off a 3 series as ďtoo hugeĒ, consider that itís only 10Ē longer and 2Ē wider than a 1 series
    Will do, thanks.
  • superdelphinus 21 Sep 2018 08:12:06 10,065 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have an a5 and itís the best car Iíve ever had by miles. Itís a genius combination of limo/ animal. Only slight negative is that itís disconcertingly wide until you get used to it.

Iíve had a 3 and 4 series and the audi is like itís from a 2 or 3 generations ahead (there must be some proper revisions of them coming out at some point soon?)
  • elstoof 21 Sep 2018 08:25:48 23,688 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Probably another 2 years until they facelift the 4 and 5
  • Alastair 21 Sep 2018 09:27:32 23,700 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I get the impression ecosse isn't too worried about his reputation..
  • Alastair 21 Sep 2018 09:28:25 23,700 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I have an a5 and itís the best car Iíve ever had by miles. Itís a genius combination of limo/ animal. Only slight negative is that itís disconcertingly wide until you get used to it.

I have a S5, and it's fucking great!
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Sep 2018 09:42:56 6,541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Aren't they a bit low for men of our vintage, Alastair? I thought you'd thrown the towel in and gone Merc
  • Load_2.0 21 Sep 2018 09:51:13 29,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Classic anti Swede rhetoric from a German. I blame the Scanian War! SkŚnska kriget.

I like Volvo's.
  • KnuttinAtoll 21 Sep 2018 09:58:40 7,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm pretty keen on this car. Spec is perfect and if I can knock the price down a bit I'd be happy but I'm unsure on the colour, opinions??

That colour is awful. I don't mind Volvo's at all, in fact some of them I quite like to the extent of considering them as my next brand. But the colour can make or break a car IMO.

My mate has an A5 in a similar beige/brown tint (second hand purchase), compared to his previous one which was white the current one just doesn't look as sharp as it should. He regrets going for it but it's done now so is sticking with it.

Edit: Also not a big fan of full leather seats these days. Pain in the butt (literally) during hot months, unless the seats are air-conditioned (which I doubt you'd get in compact/mid range cars). My current car has part-leather interior (sports seats with the sides in leather, the bottom in good quality fabric) and it's the best of both worlds really.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:05:00 21-09-2018
  • Alastair 21 Sep 2018 10:53:23 23,700 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Aren't they a bit low for men of our vintage, Alastair? I thought you'd thrown the towel in and gone Merc
    Speak for yourself!!

I've had Mercs - very comfy. But this is nice for a blast up to the golf club.
    :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 11:05:52 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

That colour is awful. I don't mind Volvo's at all, in fact some of them I quite like to the extent of considering them as my next brand. But the colour can make or break a car IMO.

My mate has an A5 in a similar beige/brown tint (second hand purchase), compared to his previous one which was white the current one just doesn't look as sharp as it should. He regrets going for it but it's done now so is sticking with it.

Edit: Also not a big fan of full leather seats these days. Pain in the butt (literally) during hot months, unless the seats are air-conditioned (which I doubt you'd get in compact/mid range cars). My current car has part-leather interior (sports seats with the sides in leather, the bottom in good quality fabric) and it's the best of both worlds really.
    Cheers.
    I see your point on the leather seats, what do you drive?

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 11:11:37 21-09-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 11:09:54 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    this one is much nicer, higher mileage though.

• KnuttinAtoll 21 Sep 2018 11:11:59 7,352 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear 320d touring, 2013 model ('modern' line package). Have it for 2 years and still love it as it ticks all sorts of boxes for our needs. Don't have kids so space wise even though it's not huge for an estate and within its class, for us it works.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Sep 2018 11:17:24 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear 320d touring, 2013 model ('modern' line package). Have it for 2 years and still love it as it ticks all sorts of boxes for our needs. Don't have kids so space wise even though it's not huge for an estate and within its class, for us it works.
    Cool, I'll have a look at 320i xD, a bit bigger than the V40/A Class types I'm looking at but as Elstoof point out, not that much bigger.
  • nickthegun 21 Sep 2018 11:26:54 78,322 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ugh, you don't want a 320. Ugh, just no.
  • TheSaint 21 Sep 2018 11:28:13 18,667 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They feel like the kind of car you only ever see pulling a caravan.
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Sep 2018 11:29:29 6,541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The plastic bits around the bottom of the Volvo's makes them look real shitty

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.