Following The Car Advice Thread Page 8

  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2018 19:00:24 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    No, Port Coquitlam, which is where Robert Pickton erm, operated. It's a bit too new (hur, 2003) to be his, but still, they're funny fuckers eh
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2018 21:28:09 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Mileage isnít really a concern on modern cars as long as itís got a full service history. You can check online for routine replacements of parts for a particular model - new timing belt at 100k etc - to know if thereís any potential bills to expect soon, but other than that engines just run and run. Rather a high mileage that proves long steady runs at temperature than a low one that suggests short runs and cold starts
    What about other parts, clutch, gearbox, suspension etc?
    They still need replaced based on mileage, surely.
  • elstoof 14 Oct 2018 21:33:02 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatís what I was talking about when I mentioned routine replacement. Many auto boxes are sealed for life these days, no service required for the clutch or gearbox. Suspension and shocks can go any time, 60k on smooth autobahn will be in better shape than 20k on most UK roads. Websites like Honest John will give you a run down on owner experience and when things are likely to fail
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2018 21:34:03 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Thatís what I was talking about when I mentioned routine replacement. Many auto boxes are sealed for life these days, no service required for the clutch or gearbox. Suspension and shocks can go any time, 60k on smooth autobahn will be in better shape than 20k on most UK roads. Websites like Honest John will give you a run down on owner experience and when things are likely to fail
    Cool, thanks a lot.
  • SnackPlissken 14 Oct 2018 21:36:53 1,137 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Buy Japanese. Done.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2018 21:42:11 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Sealed for life gearboxes, nice marketing ploy but mechanically impossible without decreasing lifespan of said gearbox, which clearly is the variable here.

    That said, 34K is fuck all and Volvos are owned by vicars anyway so it probably isn't worth worrying about for at least another 50k
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2018 21:48:19 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Buy Japanese. Done.
    You have the reliability but apart from a Lexus, I'm not a fan of the interiors at all.
  • SnackPlissken 15 Oct 2018 10:25:28 1,137 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Buy Japanese. Done.
    You have the reliability but apart from a Lexus, I'm not a fan of the interiors at all.
    I knew about the reliability, but it really hit home when I went to Asia and the sheer amount of Honda scooters because of reliability was insane... Still would like myself a VW Scirocco :( just practically these days. I'll stick with my Honda for the time being.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 10:50:07 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Pretty much decided on getting Volvo V40 T4 Cross Country.
    Saw a white one yesterday, 60K (37k Miles) with great spec, memory seats, leather, rear camera, good stereo etc.
    It hasn't been cleaned yet but seems in good nick and drives well.
    I'd ideally like lower mileage but they start to get a lot more expensive :(
    I'll go and see it again when it's ready but it's definitely a contender.
    As I said, not been cleaned yet but it looks like this (crappy Photos):



  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2018 11:04:04 78,496 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Katie Melua of cars
  • TheSaint 15 Oct 2018 11:07:39 18,741 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure about that interior.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 11:08:42 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not sure about that interior.
    Yeah, can see why some wouldn't like it.
    I think it looks good in person, a change from bog standard black leather.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Oct 2018 13:12:41 14,466 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just don't take mowgli with you
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 13:16:42 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Just don't take mowgli with you
    Probably the last person I would take :)
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 13:39:02 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I quite like your new car ecosse x
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 13:40:32 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I quite like your new car ecosse x
    Notsureifserious.gif
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 13:46:06 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm serious. I wouldn't necessarily personally have gone with white (but better than the beige) but it looks quite nice and Volvo interiors are put together well.

    Do they still block off where the second exhaust would be with black plastic (but keep the cut out on the fender)? Because they used to on the baby Volvo just so you were always reminded you bought what they considered a 'shit' version, the cunts
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Oct 2018 13:48:41 7,395 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    No, Port Coquitlam, which is where Robert Pickton erm, operated. It's a bit too new (hur, 2003) to be his, but still, they're funny fuckers eh
    I'm curious now what car you're driving PES. Strangely enough I can picture you in a pickup truck as well as in a Smart four2.
  • Dougs 15 Oct 2018 13:49:18 90,196 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Volvos have come a long way since my parent's Estate in the 80s. Big fucking yellow tank.
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Oct 2018 13:51:06 7,395 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I could see myself driving one in the future. Quite like the bigger boats and that includes the SUV even though I normally despite that vehicle class.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 13:52:42 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    No, Port Coquitlam, which is where Robert Pickton erm, operated. It's a bit too new (hur, 2003) to be his, but still, they're funny fuckers eh
    I'm curious now what car you're driving PES. Strangely enough I can picture you in a pickup truck as well as in a Smart four2.
    It's a Smart pickup.

    No, it's a shitty Dodge Avenger. It's probably the worst car I've ever owned even without the dead body smell.

    I'm saving up for an EV, car sales tax (even used it's applied) in BC is a motherfucker
  • elstoof 15 Oct 2018 13:56:15 23,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can't you go and buy a car in SK to avoid it
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 14:00:08 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I'm serious. I wouldn't necessarily personally have gone with white (but better than the beige) but it looks quite nice and Volvo interiors are put together well.

    Do they still block off where the second exhaust would be with black plastic (but keep the cut out on the fender)? Because they used to on the baby Volvo just so you were always reminded you bought what they considered a 'shit' version, the cunts

    There aren't many of them around with AWD which I value highly due to the winters here.
    It has 2 exhaust pipes.
    I don't have rear photos of my possible-new car but it looks like this:



    Hopefully get to see it all scrubbed up next week and do a longer test drive.

    We also drove a Mercedes GLA on Saturday but preferred the feel and the comfort of the seats in the Volvo.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 14:00:22 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Can't you go and buy a car in SK to avoid it
    The bastards have thought of that, you have to pay when you register the vehicle within BC.

    So the only option would be living in a cheaper province, and those are all shit
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Oct 2018 14:00:23 7,395 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    No, Port Coquitlam, which is where Robert Pickton erm, operated. It's a bit too new (hur, 2003) to be his, but still, they're funny fuckers eh
    I'm curious now what car you're driving PES. Strangely enough I can picture you in a pickup truck as well as in a Smart four2.
    It's a Smart pickup.

    No, it's a shitty Dodge Avenger. It's probably the worst car I've ever owned even without the dead body smell.

    I'm saving up for an EV, car sales tax (even used it's applied) in BC is a motherfucker
    Heh I was trying to visualise a Smart pickup. It sort of hurt my brain so I stopped.

    To be honest, that's a pretty smart choice. I'm kinda annoyed with myself buying a Diesel but that was just before Dieselgate, so will drive that into oblivion until it either falls apart or gets banned (likely to be the latter first). Would otherwise just get a banger or possibly lease, until an EV becomes a more realistic option for me (few actual trips but when they happen they're often long hauls).
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 14:21:23 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had a plug in hybrid when I lived in London and it was fucking brilliant, I want to go full EV though
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Oct 2018 14:25:25 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This will be my last petrol car, definitely hybrid next then hopefully ev.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2018 14:27:15 6,737 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The downside for you with EV is just how shit the batteries are in cold climates. The drop off in range is astonishing even between the wet mild winter and wet mild summers of the UK
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2018 18:58:55 27,334 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woohoo, just bought myself the Volvo.
    Will pick it up in a week or so.
    Spent quite some time haggling, only got CHF800 off, no doubt could have managed more eventually but it's a good price.

    Now feeling sad for my poor old Saab.
  • brokenkey 20 Oct 2018 19:30:25 10,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Just bought a new GT86 and based on a test drive, some comments in this thread and spending a few months in the US earlier this year, I went with an automatic.
    Thumbs up gif.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.