Following The Car Advice Thread Page 3

• retro74 18 Jul 2018 13:48:12 2,863 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    My '86 is auto with paddles (is that DSG?). It's great. Snow button, Sport button, full* manual control, kickdown when in auto mode.

*it will auto down-shift when slowing down, and if you hit the rev limit it stops accelerating, which feels like someone's hit the brakes.
    34 years old, I doubt that!
    I assume he means GT86 - the Toyota that's the same as the Subaru BRZ
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 13:48:42 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Are cars really cheap in the uk or are you all rich cunts? Because Golf R, Cupra, those are all high powered small cars that are virtually impossible to own in Belgium because of taxes.
    My 184bhp seat leon is the fastest car we have at our company for example.
    Which taxes?
    Think he's referring to the registration tax you have to pay (for new and old cars, doesn't matter). It gets quite obscene above the 1.6l range (well into the 4 digits). This is in addition to the annual road tax - which is more or less in line with other countries.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 13:49:52 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Are cars really cheap in the uk or are you all rich cunts? Because Golf R, Cupra, those are all high powered small cars that are virtually impossible to own in Belgium because of taxes.
    My 184bhp seat leon is the fastest car we have at our company for example.
    Which taxes?
    Think he's referring to the registration tax you have to pay (for new and old cars, doesn't matter). It gets quite obscene above the 1.6l range (well into the 4 digits). This is in addition to the annual road tax - which is more or less in line with other countries.
    Aha, poor Belgians.
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 13:50:32 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It ain't a cheap country for anything, alright.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 13:54:17 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Surely those waffles are cheap?
    I bet you can get moules-frites for under 10 Euros.

The land of milk and honey!
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jul 2018 13:55:52 9,659 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm also paying a tax based on CO2 emissions, which are high for anything above 136bhp, combined with the value of the car.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jul 2018 13:56:21 14,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    My '86 is auto with paddles (is that DSG?). It's great. Snow button, Sport button, full* manual control, kickdown when in auto mode.

*it will auto down-shift when slowing down, and if you hit the rev limit it stops accelerating, which feels like someone's hit the brakes.
    34 years old, I doubt that!
    I assume he means GT86 - the Toyota that's the same as the Subaru BRZ
    It's not the same at all! It's got a white speedo
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 13:57:00 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I need waffles I get them on these forums, for free!
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jul 2018 13:57:15 9,659 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

No way, moules frites start at 22 euro anywhere half decent.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jul 2018 14:00:00 14,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    If I need waffles I get them on these forums, for free!
    Same reason why I just go to the Post Poll thread when I want to see tits
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2018 14:01:25 23,911 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I'm also paying a tax based on CO2 emissions, which are high for anything above 136bhp, combined with the value of the car.
    Thatís how our taxes are calculated, but my current 320bhp, 3.0 turbo I6 knocks out less CO2 than my first carís 1.8 engine with 1/3 the horses, apparently. VED costs me just under 200 quid a year

Edited by elstoof at 14:03:05 18-07-2018
  • retro74 18 Jul 2018 14:01:58 2,863 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DrStrangelove it's all about the little differences I suppose. For what it's worth I'd love a GT86 or a BRZ, everything I've ever read about them screams FUN. Having 2 cars is already one too many as far as my Mrs is concerned though
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 14:03:33 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

No way, moules frites start at 22 euro anywhere half decent.
    Fuck!

I could murder some moules frites right now.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 14:05:09 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Thatís how our taxes are calculated, but my current 320bhp, 3.0 turbo I6 knocks out less CO2 than my first carís 1.8 engine with 1/3 the horses, apparently. VED costs me just under 200 quid a year
    What's an I6?
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 14:08:36 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:

Edited by elstoof at 14:02:21 18-07-2018
    It's a mix of things in Belg from what I've seen, and you don't really have a comparable tax in the UK (there's one certain other, but not all EU countries though). So all in all it's quite expensive to run a car here, unless you stick with a raisin with a smallish engine.

I also do think there are more high powered and high specced cars about in the UK (not quite as much as in the US, but still), based on my experience - although that is primarily down the M4 corridor, M25 and central London to be fair so maybe not representative for the whole country, no idea.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 14:09:34 18-07-2018
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2018 14:08:48 23,911 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Inline 6 cylinder
  • DrStrangelove 18 Jul 2018 14:09:39 14,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @retro74

Yea it's my dream car, but I doubt I can ever afford one. Used prices are high and even worse, this car doesn't seem to attract the most reasonable drivers
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2018 14:11:56 23,911 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are hire purchase deals as big a deal over there than they are here? Most new cars are bought on that basis here, buy half the car over 2/3 years of monthly payments then trade it in for another new one
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 14:14:26 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here I noticed company car ownership is off the charts. I personally don't agree with it as every assistant has one, clogging up the streets in part due to that fact. It's due to the tax system making a company car quite tax effective afaik.

I bought mine outright as I prefer owning a car, although again, it might be the last time I do so as my mindset is slowly shifting away from that. Still, it's nice to not have to worry about damage or mileage restrictions etc.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 14:15:56 18-07-2018
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jul 2018 14:14:52 9,659 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:

Edited by elstoof at 14:02:21 18-07-2018
    It's a mix of things in Belg from what I've seen, and you don't really have a comparable tax in the UK (there's one certain other, but not all EU countries though). So all in all it's quite expensive to run a car here, unless you stick with a raisin with a smallish engine.

I also do think there are more high powered and high specced cars about in the UK (not quite as much as in the US, but still), based on my experience - although that is primarily down the M4 corridor, M25 and central London to be fair so maybe not representative for the whole country, no idea.
    Exactly, thatís why a 300bhp golf R is unheard of here. I mean I know one guy who has one, but heís a VW freak with no wife or kids.
    In that price range itís all audi and bmw here, because if it costs an arm and a leg, why would you get a golf?

Also, you guys should check out Belgiumís latest innovation, the blue waffle.
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jul 2018 14:22:37 7,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And don't get me started on the insurance premiums. Although I think my broker is taking me for a, uh, ride.
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2018 14:23:04 23,911 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh yeah company cars are a big deal here too, so many 2.0 A4s and 3 series on the roads
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 14:48:27 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Are hire purchase deals as big a deal over there than they are here? Most new cars are bought on that basis here, buy half the car over 2/3 years of monthly payments then trade it in for another new one
    They seem to be much cheaper in the UK, my mate pays 199 a month for an Audi A4 and I've no idea how it's possible.
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2018 14:50:09 78,493 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Which leads to them being relatively cheap second hand. I bought an end-of-lease 320d repmobile last year for not what youd call a great deal of money for a 35k car.

I needed a mobile armchair I could pile some distance on for my fairly chunky commute and leases with that annual mileage were ridiculous. I almost feel guilty driving it as it has a lower tax band than my wifes Nissan note, which is tangibly bullshit.
  • nickthegun 18 Jul 2018 14:51:19 78,493 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    They seem to be much cheaper in the UK, my mate pays 199 a month for an Audi A4 and I've no idea how it's possible.
    low mileage lease, a massive upfront payment and poverty spec. Next time someone is waving their lease dong around, ask them what deposit they paid.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jul 2018 14:57:59 9,659 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Oh yeah company cars are a big deal here too, so many 2.0 A4s and 3 series on the roads
    It's a form of tax evasion here, cars are deductible, raising your wage most certainly is not.
  • nudistpete 18 Jul 2018 15:07:55 860 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    low mileage lease, a massive upfront payment and poverty spec. Next time someone is waving their lease dong around, ask them what deposit they paid.
    I've heard there are a bunch of scams when you return it as well as in people being charged £1arm + £1leg for stone chips, even being charged to put right crash repairs already made by the dealership.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jul 2018 15:10:12 27,334 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My plan is to buy this motor in cash then put some dosh away each month for trading it in in a few years.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2018 15:35:27
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, my mrs only has an auto license, so ive driven quite a few.

By far the worst was in her corsa. Worst car ive ever driven and the 'box was so bad, it was actually dangerous. Awful, awful piece of shit.
    I test drived an auto Corsa the other day, handled like fucking arse almost crashed it entering onto a roundabout.

Has anyone had any experience with the Ford powershift? I was thinking of putting a deposit on a Fiesta but seeing some of the horror stories i'm wondering if I should buy an old banger and wait and see on how these new dual clutch auto lawsuits shake out.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 15:35:49 18-07-2018
  • elstoof 18 Jul 2018 16:17:10 23,911 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    It's a form of tax evasion here, cars are deductible, raising your wage most certainly is not.
    Not entirely sure how it works here but I think the company buys the car which is then claimed back for the VAT, and the employee pays a monthly Benefit In Kind tax based on the value of the asset they're getting the use of. Obviously if you're self employed you can wiggle the man maths about to convince yourself of a good deal, compared to being an employee and getting what you're given

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.