Did Buzz just say we've never been to the moon?

First Previous
  • Dirtbox 26 Jul 2018 19:03:54 91,187 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Now I fucking love Buzz, he's by far one of the coolest people walking the earth, but he's not been in the greatest place lately. He's recently filed lawsuits against his two youngest offspring for conspiracy and it's an ugly affair. Just to frame the situation that may or may not have given rise to this frankly bizarre appearance of an admission.

It got me thinking, I have always dismissed claims of a hoax out of hand, never really seriously considering the possibility until watching this, but the more I think about it, the more it is a possibility. It was the cold war, propaganda was the most powerful weapon either side possessed and America has always seemed to believe that bankrupting Russia by sending them on wild goose chases was the way to go. We saw that in the Reagan era with the bullshit Star Wars program.

What if the entire space race was the precursor to that?
  • neilka 26 Jul 2018 19:10:13 22,649 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No.

(The video it links to is from three years ago, and he says "we didn't go there" in the context of people in the future understanding why we didn't go back there for a long time.)
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jul 2018 19:10:14 20,662 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Grandpa Simpson style ramblings of a very old man. I've read a lot of stuff about this and as is the case with all of these conspiracy theories there's just too many people that would need to be involved for it to be faked.

The press conference when they came back is very weird though.
  • Deleted user 26 July 2018 19:11:48
    Of course NASA went to the moon with manned missions, it would have been impossible to hoax something of that magnitude with the tens of thousands of engineers and scientist involved with the Apollo program, the Russians would have spilled the beans if there was any inkling of a faked manned landing.

I also think that the Reagan era SDI program was not bullshit, but a genuine attempt to design multiple systems to disable incoming ICBM's, the offshoot of that program has began to bear results as material technologies have improved vastly over the last thirty years, laser technology has come on leaps and bounds due to SDI and now can be found in small numbers at a physical stage mounted to current airframes, therefore direct energy weapons are now a reality, main purpose to disable incoming missile systems at hypersonic velocities. The same with rail guns, once a holy grail of the SDI program are now being put through there paces by BAE systems for the US Navy.

Edited by reggy72 at 19:25:28 26-07-2018
  • brokenkey 26 Jul 2018 19:11:54 10,257 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    He talks about "we stopped". Stopped going there.
  • Dirtbox 26 Jul 2018 19:12:52 91,187 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    No.

(The video it links to is from three years ago, and he says "we didn't go there" in the context of people in the future understanding why we didn't go back there for a long time.)
    Yeah, that was my take but it got me thinking. Didn't realise it was from years ago though, I haven't seen it before. Somehow it's doing the rounds again and flat earthers are smashing their dicks with spatulas over it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 Jul 2018 19:12:58 11,120 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hay fever though, that's total bullshit.
  • elstoof 26 Jul 2018 19:19:36 23,911 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He said we could go to infinity and beyond
  • DrStrangelove 26 Jul 2018 19:23:32 14,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know. It's always been a possibility it was all a hoax, questionable pictures yadda yadda. Even if the pictures were fabricated, that's not proof they hadn't been on the moon. Even if the pictures were fake, it could just mean their cameras had failed up there. And that's just in the hypothetical case the pictures were fake.

More importantly, there's always the question why the Soviet Union never questioned it. Some say they greeted it because the space race cost them too much, but seriously, they wouldn't let the US get away so easily with such an outrageous lie. What's more, even post-soviet Russia never questioned it, not under Yeltsin, not under Putin. It takes a great lot of conspiracist lunacy to make sense of that.

I have no idea what's going on in his head, but he comes across like an utter loon in that video. The girl looks like she's thinking "erm, seriously gramps?"

Again, I'm not completely disregarding the possibility it was fake, but Buzz looking like he's on drugs isn't going to convince me.

edit: and as Decks suggested, it'd require thousands of people at NASA etc. knowing but never talking. It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:39:27 26-07-2018
  • richarddavies 26 Jul 2018 19:34:12 6,810 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mitchell and Webb summed up how I feel about this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw
  • sport 26 Jul 2018 19:40:13 15,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How does NASA sleep at night?!?
  • Fake_Blood 26 Jul 2018 19:47:22 9,659 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well just like everyone, put on netflix, smoke joints and drink beers till they pass out. A little masturbation if all of the above fails.
  • Lukus 26 Jul 2018 20:12:26 22,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Grandpa Simpson style ramblings of a very old man. I've read a lot of stuff about this and as is the case with all of these conspiracy theories there's just too many people that would need to be involved for it to be faked.

The press conference when they came back is very weird though.
    Yeah, this is my reoccurring conclusion whenever i give any conspiracy theory more than a couple of minutes of contemplation.
    Can you imagine how many people would have to pinky swear secrecy over a faked moon landing or an inside job twin towers? It's just too implausible. Humans are shit at keeping secrets.
  • Huggybear 26 Jul 2018 20:25:39 1,615 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

It got me thinking, I have always dismissed claims of a hoax out of hand, never really seriously considering the possibility until watching this, but the more I think about it, the more it is a possibility. It was the cold war, propaganda was the most powerful weapon either side possessed and America has always seemed to believe that bankrupting Russia by sending them on wild goose chases was the way to go. We saw that in the Reagan era with the bullshit Star Wars program.

What if the entire space race was the precursor to that?
    No. The Soviets beat the US to more or less every milestone in the Space Race until that point, and US intelligence knew literally nothing about them and usually wildly exaggerated their capabilities and resources to get more funding. The bankruptcy plan makes no sense in the context of the sixties.

The Soviets would probably have beat the US to the moon as well, but a.) the chief architect of their space program died a few years earlier and b.) allegedly they weren't that interested in a manned mission to the moon anyway because their ultimate aim at the time was a mission to Mars.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jul 2018 20:28:51 27,332 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a space industry veteran, I can confirm that the moon landing is not fake.
  • mothercruncher 26 Jul 2018 20:30:51 16,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was just about to post that- America lost the space race at just about every single stage, except putting a man on the moon.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Jul 2018 20:46:34 9,659 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well the russians just had another design philosophy, very smart engineers (better germans than the american germans), but the idea was launch the thing, then fix whatever made it explode. Repeat until it doesn’t. Which is fine until you start putting people on top.

Pays off in the long run, sojoez is currently the safest space vehicle. Until next year when they stop making them.
  • DrStrangelove 26 Jul 2018 21:04:39 14,464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    As a space industry veteran
    Flying through space after inhaling technogel doesn't count
  • Devilligan 26 Jul 2018 21:10:35 601 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No.

And 'the moon-landings were faked' conspiracies are fucking lame.
  • Dirtbox 26 Jul 2018 21:33:28 91,187 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I probably posted this somewhere in the last year but recently I discovered that a vivid memory I had of a huge rocket section roaring past a few hundred feet over my head early in the morning as a kid going to school near Dartford was not my imagination. I told loads of people about it in the years afterwards and not one person believed me. I thought it was part of Saturn V because I was 5 at the time and it was the only rocket I knew anything about, but obviously it couldn't have been and I eventually dismissed it as some childhood fantasy or dream.

I was reminded of it fairly recently and now the internet is a thing, I was able to look it up, here's a PDF from a book charting the incident.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1981JBAA...91..561M&data_type=PDF_HIGH

So Cosmos 749. The thing flew just 300 or 400 feet directly over my school. It was deafening and it was flying boosters first with the barrel slowly spinning. Still amazes me that it didn't hit ground, fucking thing was gigantic. I remember standing in the school yard with a couple of other kids watching it and asking the warden lady if she could see it, but she refused to even look at it or acknowledge it.
  • thelzdking 26 Jul 2018 21:34:23 9,515 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit conspiracy. Reptoids or fuck off.
  • up_the_ante 26 Jul 2018 21:35:01 1,098 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    He talks about "we stopped". Stopped going there.
    Exactly. It's not that hard to follow the meaning of his answer.

Edited by up_the_ante at 21:39:00 26-07-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 26 Jul 2018 21:51:10 6,737 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    sport wrote:
    How does NASA sleep at night?!?
    I tell you how they DON'T sleep - with too-hot heads thanks to the space age technology
  • sport 26 Jul 2018 21:52:32 15,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fuck it, how do we even know the "moon" is real?
  • fontgeeksogood 26 Jul 2018 21:54:17 6,737 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    sport wrote:
    Fuck it, how do we even know the "moon" is real?
    What if it has a molten core of pure Technogel, we should definitely go back and see
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Jul 2018 22:00:15 22,771 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cheese is techno gel?
  • captain-Snufkin 26 Jul 2018 22:08:22 829 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's hard to dismiss every single conspiracy completly as our governments have shown they'll lie about absolutely anything. The moon one's a bit hard to credit.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jul 2018 22:20:56 20,662 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I probably posted this somewhere in the last year but recently I discovered that a vivid memory I had of a huge rocket section roaring past a few hundred feet over my head early in the morning as a kid going to school near Dartford was not my imagination. I told loads of people about it in the years afterwards and not one person believed me. I thought it was part of Saturn V because I was 5 at the time and it was the only rocket I knew anything about, but obviously it couldn't have been and I eventually dismissed it as some childhood fantasy or dream.

I was reminded of it fairly recently and now the internet is a thing, I was able to look it up, here's a PDF from a book charting the incident.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1981JBAA...91..561M&data_type=PDF_HIGH

So Cosmos 749. The thing flew just 300 or 400 feet directly over my school. It was deafening and it was flying boosters first with the barrel slowly spinning. Still amazes me that it didn't hit ground, fucking thing was gigantic. I remember standing in the school yard with a couple of other kids watching it and asking the warden lady if she could see it, but she refused to even look at it or acknowledge it.
    That happened on Christmas day, at night.
  • Your-Mother 26 Jul 2018 22:23:56 2,928 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nighttime is a conspiracy brought on by those who believe the sun really is a million miles away and not just a lightbulb hanging from the world ceiling that someone paints blue every morning.
  • fontgeeksogood 26 Jul 2018 22:31:51 6,737 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Decks wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

That happened on Christmas day, at night.
    Detention innit
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.