The "well, that's a bit wrong now, when you really think about it" film thread Page 2

• GoatApocalypse 16 Aug 2018 13:19:57 5,650 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slightly OT, but I'm a big fan of applying the Bechdel Test to films. It's remarkable how many fail it, even films released this year.
  • thelzdking 16 Aug 2018 13:20:20 9,354 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Persecution of a hungry shark in Jaws.
  • thelzdking 16 Aug 2018 13:20:53 9,354 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dominalien 16 Aug 2018 13:25:12 9,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Persecution of a hungry shark in Jaws.
    Just like the bear the other day: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/29/polar-bear-shot-dead-after-attacking-cruise-ship-guard-in-norway
  • Load_2.0 16 Aug 2018 13:31:04 29,324 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Slightly OT, but I'm a big fan of applying the Bechdel Test to films. It's remarkable how many fail it, even films released this year.
    Have you tried the bechamel test? Clean up can be a pain but it gives me all the answers I need.
  • nickthegun 16 Aug 2018 13:36:34 77,813 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    Any of the rapey James Bond films.
    Most notably Skyfall which is modern enough to know better than have him appear naked in the shower behind someone who was minutes earlier revealed to be a sex slave.
  • nickthegun 16 Aug 2018 13:40:25 77,813 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, the bit in the The Great Outdoors where the oldest kid pokes a girl in the fanny with a pool cue.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2018 13:42:31
    nickthegun wrote:
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    Any of the rapey James Bond films.
    Most notably Skyfall which is modern enough to know better than have him appear naked in the shower behind someone who was minutes earlier revealed to be a sex slave.
    Sexually assaulting Monica Bellucci after murdering her husband and immediately after she gets back from his funeral was pretty bad too.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Aug 2018 13:45:55 6,047 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Have you tried the bechamel test? Clean up can be a pain
    C'est magnifique
  • quadfather 16 Aug 2018 13:48:40 34,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Half of my old (Hammer, AIP, Tigon) horror films from years ago wouldn't get released today. Thank fuck I was born earlier, is all I can say.
  • anephric 16 Aug 2018 13:51:31 3,222 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    The stuff with Buffalo Bill being trans, and the relationship between that and his murders in particular, would be incredibly controversial today.
    It was controversial enough at the time, there were protests. The film (and book) do lip service to saying Gumb isnít really transsexual though. Clarice and Lector both have little speeches they make.
  • chessboxer 16 Aug 2018 14:00:15 333 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Porky's. Hilarious film but I don't see this getting a remake with all the jokes being replicated.
  • ZuluHero 16 Aug 2018 14:03:18 7,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    The rapey love scene in Blade Runner feels quite icky these days.
    It might make for uncomfortable viewing, but totally in context with the story though.

Not sure if you can justify these things like that though...
  • minky-kong 16 Aug 2018 14:03:57 14,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking forward to the raunchy teen comedies of the next decade where some lads get into japes in their quest to see some accidentally revealed ankle, only to be twitter shamed for their disgusting urges in the last third of the film.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2018 14:06:45
    I watched Ip Man the other day and, uhhh, it's pretty xenophobic.
  • TheSaint 16 Aug 2018 14:14:36 18,573 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most critics seem to have a total blind spot to the rapiness in even the most recent Bond films. Mark Kermode as an example will (rightly) lambast someone like Michael Bay for the way the camera leers at the female leads in his films while totally ignoring Bond getting all turned on by someone he's just met confessing to be continually raped and sex trafficked. It's a really strange double standard.

At least we can still enjoy asexual action heroes like The Rock (in every film he's in), Bourne and the Mission Impossible films.
  • Tonka 16 Aug 2018 14:19:34 29,526 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Have you tried the bechamel test? Clean up can be a pain but it gives me all the answers I need.
    There is actually such a thing as the bechamel test but the cleanup is minimal.

That makes me think you're a liar.
  • Load_2.0 16 Aug 2018 14:26:28 29,324 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have a heavy load.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Aug 2018 14:29:44 10,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Groundhog Day is essentially about stalking a victim, learning their behaviour and then using what you've gain to manipulate them into having sex with you.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 16 Aug 2018 14:33:31 19,735 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah well slimer raped and bukkaked Bill Murray in Ghostbusters so it's swings and roundabouts.
  • Alastair 16 Aug 2018 14:35:27 23,556 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:Deckard is a total knob end.
    That's no way to talk about the Best Forumite 2016.
    (But it made me chuckle.)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Aug 2018 14:35:33 15,733 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Looking forward to the raunchy teen comedies of the next decade where some lads get into japes in their quest to see some accidentally revealed ankle, only to be twitter shamed for their disgusting urges in the last third of the film.
    ITíS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!
  • nickthegun 16 Aug 2018 14:39:52 77,813 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Groundhog Day is essentially about stalking a victim, learning their behaviour and then using what you've gain to manipulate them into having sex with you.
    Akshully, it shows that kind of behaviour is fundamentally pointless and you won't achieve anything unless you grow as a person.

He only succeeds when he comes to genuinely care for the people he at first tries to grift.
  • ZuluHero 16 Aug 2018 14:42:06 7,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    ITíS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD!
    Is that the title of the film?
  • RawShark 16 Aug 2018 14:44:52 573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Weird, I was just discussing this very thing with my co-workers. I started watching Django Unchained last night, and yes, I know it's an accurate representation of the way things were at the time, but the casual way the white characters constantly used the n-word was... disquieting at least.
    @hedben2013 Context or not, Tarantino uses the word so much it's hard to believe he's not taking some kind of glee out of using it.

The Hateful Eight was arguably even worse. It manages to get 60 uses of the word when there's only one black character of note, and the violence Jennifer Jason Leigh's character is also so disproportionate you'd guess that old Quents was getting off on it.

The whole Batfleck grabbing Harley Quinn by the throat in Suicide Squad was pretty off too. I mean who was meant to enjoy that? I mean no one was enjoying Suicide Squad anyway, but that scene in particular...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Aug 2018 14:46:51 15,733 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didnít think the Skyfall scene was quite as bad as being suggested. The damsel in distress trope was probably its greatest offence. It was at least consensual beyond that.

It was the scene in Spectre that really didnít sit comfortably. That was straight up assault. What was super weird about it was Spectre was the one where they consciously brought back a lot of the classic James Bondisms, so it really felt like someone had decided to bring back the rape for old timeís sake.
  • Ddanno 16 Aug 2018 14:51:03 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One of our Dinosaurs is Missing is comfortably the most racist portrayal of Asians I have ever witnessed
  • nickthegun 16 Aug 2018 14:54:29 77,813 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched that with my daughter recently and it's so racist it actually comes out the other side and I don't think she even realised they were supposed to be Chinese.
  • RawShark 16 Aug 2018 14:54:52 573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While I'm at it, that bit in There's Something About Mary where the Farrely brothers expect us to believe that Ben Stiller is able to shoot semen into his own ear, that it has the consistency of blu-tack, and that anyone would then somehow mistake it for hair gel and use it as such.

Classic case of wanting to somehow get cum in Cameron Diaz's hair and working their way backwards.
  • RawShark 16 Aug 2018 14:55:55 573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh God just remembered the end of The Kingsmen... and that was pretty fucking recent.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.