Following Dragon Quest XI

First Previous
  • Humperfunk 20 Aug 2018 11:44:16 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who's in? 4th September, can't wait.

Basically just looks like a classic old school Dragon Quest game but with great graphics, should be excellent!

Some impressions here, sounds like a lot of previews are about to come out as well.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2018 11:55:27 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it runs on my Win 2 i will get it for sure.
  • Singularity 20 Aug 2018 14:54:30 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is on PS4 and 3DS, right? Is it the same game with different graphics? I will never ever get the time to play this on PS4, so handheld would be perfect.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2018 15:03:35 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PS4. PC, Switch

Dunno about xbox but assume so.

The Switch version is currently vapourware however
  • Singularity 20 Aug 2018 15:31:26 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, the 3DS version isn't coming here. Shame. I'll have to pass then, I'm still only about a quarter of the way through Persona 5. RPGs are handheld-only for me from now on.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2018 15:33:39 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    Ah, the 3DS version isn't coming here. Shame. I'll have to pass then, I'm still only about a quarter of the way through Persona 5. RPGs are handheld-only for me from now on.
    I hear you on that one!

Which is why the Switch (and GPD Win) are nice, you can mainline them handheld, but on the odd occasion you get an hour or two with the PC / telly you get the full fat experience.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 Aug 2018 23:28:25 3,564 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The 3DS version of this is the one I wanted. The PS4 version is much less interesting to me. I expect the Switch version to be a PS4 port when it comes out. Nintendo should have released it like some of the other DQs as a last hurrah for the 3DS (especially if the script between the two versions is so similar that localisation would be a lot easier). I may get the PS4 version at some point but it isn't a priority and I am more likely to import the Japanese 3DS one and buy a flash cart to mod my (too high a firmware for easy modding) o3DS for imports again (now that I have a n3DS that I will keep legit)
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Aug 2018 00:10:33 6,318 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was kinda hoping the Switch port would have been based on the 3DS version, but it doesn't sound like the case, unfortunately. Its the better looking version of the two, in my opinion. Square seem to have done a great job porting Dragon Quest Builders across though, so I'm sure it'll be very much playable.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 09:53:56 21-08-2018
  • THFourteen 21 Aug 2018 06:04:13 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why is the 3DS version better?
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Aug 2018 09:57:20 6,318 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For me it looks more charming and a little more streamlined. I can imagine it also plays a little quicker as the environments well be smaller and your character will move faster through them. It also better reflects the traditional Dragon Quest experience. Even the recent instalments have all had an early 90s RPG vibe to them. I feel that perhaps it's eroded a little too much with the PS4 version.

Those are my impressions, anyway. Having not played either version.
  • Fonzie 21 Aug 2018 10:01:01 3,359 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    For me it looks more charming and a little more streamlined. I can imagine it also plays a little quicker as the environments well be smaller and your character will move faster through them. It also better reflects the traditional Dragon Quest experience. Even the recent instalments have all had an early 90s RPG vibe to them. I feel that perhaps it's eroded a little too much with the PS4 version.

I thought that this looked very similar to DQVIII, which was one of the best DQ games. If it comes close to that, I'll be very happy.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Aug 2018 10:12:19 3,564 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Something about the PS4 version looks a little generic to me. The dual graphic mode 3DS one looked more interesting. Sure I heard somewhere that 3DS had a bit more content too. I don't hate the look of the PS4 one and I am sure it will ve more accepted by the mainstream than the 3DS one but it seemed a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to sign up as a late 3DS release (like they did on DS with DQ VI), it isn't as if they have many other titles announced now. I wonder if they feared it would cannibalise Switch sales but the differences between the two should mean that it wouldn't. But as I said DQ games are supposed to be fairly easy to read in Japanese so may import eventually as it would also be good practice.
  • Humperfunk 21 Aug 2018 10:33:23 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:

I thought that this looked very similar to DQVIII, which was one of the best DQ games. If it comes close to that, I'll be very happy.
    My exact thought too was how similar it seems to VIII which is exactly what I want considering we haven't come close to one in over a decade and two generations of console. Can't wait!
  • GloatingSwine 22 Aug 2018 16:48:04 3,832 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:But as I said DQ games are supposed to be fairly easy to read in Japanese so may import eventually as it would also be good practice.
    On the other hand, DQ11's Japanese script is so full of jokes that rely on alternative readings of the script that it doesn't even have voice acting because the jokes couldn't translate into the spoken word, so unless you're very familiar with the language you'll probably miss a lot.
  • Humperfunk 28 Aug 2018 20:19:01 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reviews are out and they are absolutely glowing, sounds like this will be a real contender for my game of the year.

Every review I have read, the negatives are actually exactly what I want. I want an old school, turn based JRPG with a memorable, non orchestral soundtrack and superb graphics. Basically Dragon Quest VIII on modern hardware.

Next week can't come soon enough.

Edited by Humperfunk at 23:06:27 28-08-2018
  • THFourteen 28 Aug 2018 20:52:29 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Canít find a PC physical release to put on my amazon wish list :-(
  • ardamillo 29 Aug 2018 06:31:30 638 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah pretty excited for this. DQ8 and FF12 are two of my all time faves.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Aug 2018 09:13:49 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This hadn't been on my radar. I'd assumed it was another 3DS title like the last few and I'm pretty much done with that platform now. But I was wrong! It's on proper platforms.

So... any good? Reviews are coming in mixed. EG at the more negative end of the spectrum, but that often seems to be the case with JRPGs. I'm close to the end of Tokyo Xanadu EX+, have given up on Ni No Kuni 2 (just didn't like it) and would be in the market for another big JRPG.

Not played a DQ game since 8. I remember really loving the opening 12 hours or so of 8, then getting worn down by the grind. And I'm generally a big JRPG fan, so it takes a lot of grind to wear me down.
  • uiruki 29 Aug 2018 10:04:27 4,899 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's very, very good. It's not a grind at all, just going through the areas properly makes you more than strong enough and the game gives you loads of tools - up until the middle in particular it's definitely on the easy end of things. The AI battle is very good, load times (at least on PS Pro) are short and in general it controls well - the menus in particular are super snappy and it has the classic one-button party heal out of battle. Generally it's very well designed and you can see lots of places where they've stepped in and actively made it less of a pain to play than others in the same genre. It's only the music that lets things down really.

If you like JRPGs and realise that maybe they aren't in the business of keeping you absolutely riveted to the screen for even the simplest encounter then you'll get plenty of mileage. The ending was super satisfying too.

Edited by uiruki at 10:04:50 29-08-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Aug 2018 10:27:15 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @uiruki Thanks. Suspect I'll end up getting this then. Probably go for the PS4 version, as it sounds like a rare example of a game I'd rather play on the sofa rather than at my desk.

EG's review had me worried, but EG does sometimes seem to have a bit of a downer on JRPGs just for... well... being JRPGs.
  • THFourteen 29 Aug 2018 10:43:16 52,820 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Or wait for the Switch version!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Aug 2018 10:47:55 6,369 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @THFourteen Nah. I find the ergonomics of the Switch really unpleasant for prolonged play. Even the classic controller is quite bad, but the joycons are really, really uncomfortable. For a long game like I'd expect DQ11 to be, I'd rather play on pretty much any other modern platform.
  • Humperfunk 31 Aug 2018 23:31:01 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    So... any good? Reviews are coming in mixed. EG at the more negative end of the spectrum....
    To be fair Roguey, I would say the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Even EGs is oooh you won't like it it you like proper JRPGs and all the negatives are against what makes JRPGs great.

Just watching Kotaku's review for instance and they are calling it the best game since Super Mario 3 in the guys experience. That might be mental but still, even using Metacritic as a barometer it's 2 "average" reviews against almost 50 "positive" ones.

Haven't played it so maybe all the above is shite but for a game billed as Dragon Quest VIII with modern touches in an genre plagued with them trying to modernise the one flawless genre and fucking it up royally for over a decade, fuck me this might top Ni No Kuni 2 this year for me which is a tall order.

Tuesdaaaaaaay.
  • drhcnip 1 Sep 2018 00:21:27 6,339 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mine's in the post...same place as we got generations xx from so i'm crossing fingers for tomorrow as that's what happened with that game

loved viii so i'm hoping for more of the same with the expected bells and whistles - the main moans i've seen are its relative linearity and dependence on some older jrpg tropes, neither of which bothers me in the slightest

and there'll be no skirmishes to make me abandon the game...;)
  • Humperfunk 2 Sep 2018 14:29:30 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck it's downloaded and now just staring at the count down...hurry up!
  • drhcnip 2 Sep 2018 16:35:36 6,339 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    heh - mine didn't turn up yesterday so fingers crossed for tomorrow, even though i'm back at work...looking forward to this one
  • drhcnip 3 Sep 2018 19:08:34 6,339 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    turned up today \o/

time for a curry then see what we've got here
  • Humperfunk 3 Sep 2018 19:42:34 8,007 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Superb! Enjoy :)
  • ghearoid 3 Sep 2018 19:49:06 3,230 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ugh, I am totes jells. I don't have a PS4 so I really hope that Switch version gets released soonish.

Enjoy it, bastards. :)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.