Following Dragon Quest XI Page 2

• drhcnip 3 Sep 2018 21:47:07 6,339 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    don't worry, i am...;)

only a short way in but already i can say, if you liked dq8, you'll like this...very reminiscent of older jrpgs before it all went 'sparkly' (and to my mind, over-complicated)...
  • Humperfunk 3 Sep 2018 22:24:58 8,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    don't worry, i am...;)

only a short way in but already i can say, if you liked dq8, you'll like this...very reminiscent of older jrpgs before it all went 'sparkly' (and to my mind, over-complicated)...
    My exact sentiments of a lot of modern JRPGs and this sounds bloody perfect from the above, delighted!

Tomorrow is going to be a loooong day.
  • DangerousDave_87 3 Sep 2018 22:37:13 6,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you enjoy this one, if strongly recommend checking out some of the others. Camera perspective aside, they all play quite similarly. The DS games are all great.
  • ardamillo 4 Sep 2018 01:49:02 638 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine still hasn't shipped, come on...
  • barrylyndon 4 Sep 2018 02:54:43 155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First impressions from someone who has never played a Dragons Quest game. I gambled on this as I am not sure I want to play another super long Jrpg after Persona 5. I have played it for about an hour. It is ok but hasn't really grabbed me yet. Graphics are clean and crisp except for shimmering on the grass and trees (on PS4 PRO). Gameplay is ultra simplistic. It could get very tedious but so far it is ok.
    Accents and voicework not great.
    Music is terrible. The worst thing about the game so far.
    The character design is different, not a big fan but it is different.
    I am hoping it gets a lot better after a few hours when I get time to progress in the game.
  • THFourteen 4 Sep 2018 06:38:13 52,820 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Accents are not great?!!

COR BLIMEY
  • drhcnip 4 Sep 2018 07:59:46 6,339 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    one has to be a fan of the west country accent from what i've played so far...;)

and i'm liking the music - no sweeping orchestras here, we're back in the days of the midi soundtrack here...quite whether i'll be saying the same after hours of the same synthy riff is another matter..:D
  • Youthist 4 Sep 2018 08:04:09 13,858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    barrylyndon wrote:
    First impressions from someone who has never played a Dragons Quest game. I gambled on this as I am not sure I want to play another super long Jrpg after Persona 5. I have played it for about an hour. It is ok but hasn't really grabbed me yet. Graphics are clean and crisp except for shimmering on the grass and trees (on PS4 PRO). Gameplay is ultra simplistic. It could get very tedious but so far it is ok.
    Accents and voicework not great.
    Music is terrible. The worst thing about the game so far.
    The character design is different, not a big fan but it is different.
    I am hoping it gets a lot better after a few hours when I get time to progress in the game.
    barrybringusalldown
  • solidsneek 4 Sep 2018 10:02:50 763 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Must say Iím tempted but never played a DQ before
  • Humperfunk 4 Sep 2018 11:53:22 8,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now is the time!
  • GloatingSwine 4 Sep 2018 14:36:31 3,832 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My copy arrived just before I left for work this morning, will begin tonight.
  • GloatingSwine 4 Sep 2018 14:36:31 3,832 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Sep 2018 21:12:29 32,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Seems to be a pretty flawless PC port so far, but what the fuck is this music all about..?
  • waipowrectdeapr1976 4 Sep 2018 22:18:25 7 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wooow that's great news. I haven't played Dragon quest in ages. In fact I've almost forgotten that these series even existed. Thanks to OP for bringing it up. I'll have a look into it.
  • Humperfunk 4 Sep 2018 22:28:44 8,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, graphics amazing but everything else so far identical to DQVIII but a new story? Christ on a cunting bike this is what I want.

The fact they haven't barely changed the battle music, the battle end music and the level up sounds, oof you beautiful chaps.
  • barrylyndon 5 Sep 2018 02:49:23 155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Having done another hour or so, I am starting to like it. It is a quality game. I have had to turn the music right down though. Awful.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Sep 2018 12:01:46 32,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't it.

It may be some of the worst. most annoying music I've heard in a game.
  • Zidargh 5 Sep 2018 12:06:50 2,004 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes What's so bad about it? Didn't DQ8 have a wonderful soundtrack?
  • uiruki 5 Sep 2018 12:24:54 4,899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The compositions are generally fine; the arrangement is dreadful though. Itís fed through a completely flat and expressionless synth so itís really robotic sounding and quite grating after a short amount of time.

Wasnít the western DQ8 soundtrack the orchestral version? It was a pretty rough synth on the Japanese version too.
  • Zidargh 5 Sep 2018 12:29:18 2,004 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @uiruki That's right. What a shame as it's always the music I think of when I remember DQ8.

I was excited by the game, but it's these things that can ruin the experience for me.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Sep 2018 12:56:46 32,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the DQ8 music was amazing.

Was a bit of a shock when I started my adventure here, accompanied by a Casio keyboard demo mode.
  • Humperfunk 5 Sep 2018 22:44:23 8,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving the music, feels proper old school. After some modern JRPG soundtracks it's great to get back to something more "proper".
  • GloatingSwine 6 Sep 2018 08:47:57 3,832 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The music itself is OK.

It's just quite low-fi.

So are a lot of the sound effects.

I think they were going for "charmingly retro". Like the old school screen transition noise on loading.

But they can come off a bit harsh.

I've turned them all down but not off.

Considered turning off the voices, because the accents are dodgy as fuck, like clearly nobody involved is actually speaking with their normal accent because they keep slipping (and god alone knows what Erik's is supposed to be, New York via Surrey I think)
  • RyanDS 6 Sep 2018 08:52:38 12,842 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So is this like the good dq games, with good stories and characters like chapters of the chosen and the other early ones, or a shitty collectathon like 9?

Seriously. Canít believe they shit the bed so badly with that one and ignored everything that made the earlier games so great.

Edited by RyanDS at 08:54:31 06-09-2018
  • Garfy 6 Sep 2018 10:07:43 1,384 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really liked 9, it sped up the pace of the combat and made it feel much better. 8 on the other hand bored me to death despite Ricky Grover
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Sep 2018 11:02:40 32,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    (and god alone knows what Erik's is supposed to be, New York via Surrey I think)
    Haha, I was baffled by that last night too.

Gripes about the music aside (which remains awful), I think it's actually a pretty great jrpg. Looks lovely too.
  • Humperfunk 6 Sep 2018 11:20:20 8,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    So is this like the good dq games, with good stories and characters like chapters of the chosen and the other early ones, or a shitty collectathon like 9?

Seriously. Canít believe they shit the bed so badly with that one and ignored everything that made the earlier games so great.
    Yeah IX was awful for me, no story and pretty much just a dress up game sponsored by Jedward. This is basically a graphically amazing DQVIII so if you liked that, it's essential.
  • DangerousDave_87 7 Sep 2018 10:23:22 6,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved 9, but then I got to play that one with my partner and the multiplayer experience certainly added to it.
  • RyanDS 7 Sep 2018 10:45:29 12,842 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't want multiplayer and bland faceless, characterless avatars. That's what I want in my WRPGs where "I" explore the world.

DQ for me is the quirky fun characters interacting and their stories. Hence why chapters was my favourite, I loved the whole storyline and having a mute protaganist ruins that.
  • myiagros 7 Sep 2018 13:08:42 1,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed DXIX right up until the point it told me I had to design all the characters for my party.
    Then I stopped because I like the curated storylines, movitiations, and interactions of the party members.
    Once I realised I wasn't going to get any of that I couldn't really be bothered.
    I will probably go back one day, but I haven't yet.

DQVIII wss fantastic in these respects, and DQXI looks like it should be much more like what I am looking for from what I have experienced so far.

On a standard PS4 I am a little underwhelmed by the graphics though so far. Primarily the sharpness.
    So far I actually prefer the presentation of DQ Heroes where everything was a little softer, and to me came accross as more visually consistent.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.