Going to Japan Page 6

• Ror 31 Oct 2018 22:45:19 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably going to be booking my flights for April tomorrow \o/

Now to convince the mate I'm going with not to book the cheapest, shittiest ticket he can find...
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Oct 2018 22:49:52 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Probably going to be booking my flights for April tomorrow \o/

Now to convince the mate I'm going with not to book the cheapest, shittiest ticket he can find...
    My last trip was with Air China, cheap as hell but they're pretty shit, can't say I recommend.
    you can get good deals with good airlines such as Cathay and Singapore Airlines if you're lucky.
  • uiruki 31 Oct 2018 23:08:19 4,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    By now I usually fly with KLM. Schiphol is a nice easy transfer with good access and flight times from my home airport in the north and they are usually pretty solid. Depends on your level of patience though - Iím too old by now to deal with Heathrow or Dubai anymore, though late transfer flights via Charles de Gaulle on the way back are surprisingly tolerable.

If youíre going for April itís a good idea to get that stuff sorted ASAP as thatís pretty peak season.

Edit: never really had any bother with Lufthansa either but they donít really connect to my airport anymore.

Edited by uiruki at 23:09:06 31-10-2018
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Oct 2018 23:15:05 3,424 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My wife hated the long haul from Seoul via Paris, she said it was way too long. Admittedly that was with a six year old but she much preferred the Emirates via Dubai route for breaking things up better. I saw a few years ago that there were a lot more routes than when I went (possibly recall a cheapish Turkish airline) by air to that neck of the woods last (2011 myself as I got the trains and ferries back)
  • uiruki 31 Oct 2018 23:44:06 4,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I'm sure that with a kid you'd want to break it up more evenly, even if it does add a couple more hours to the flight time.
  • Tomo 1 Nov 2018 01:28:03 16,471 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Still hot out there, then? It was 35 when I was wandering around Harajuku and it was just too bloody much.

A shame that your Skytree experience was ruined, Tomo. Did you at least enjoy the view?

Hope you both enjoy your respective holidays!
    I got back last week. Had a phenomenal time. Think Japan is my number 2 holiday destination after Hawaii. And possibly Australia.

All annoyingly far away..!
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Nov 2018 07:19:57 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíve only been back a month but now planning the next trip, thinking of going just to Kyushu next October. Either 3 weeks there or 3 weeks split between there and Taiwan.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Nov 2018 07:20:48 10,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What do they cook their rice in over there?
  • Nazo 1 Nov 2018 08:11:10 954 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We usually fly with Asiana but this time the missus got a free trip through work and wanted to use a Japanese airline so we used Ana. It cost twice as much, the food was worse and the seats didnít recline, just sort of slid forwards, which was pretty uncomfortable. Weíre going back to cheap next time.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Nov 2018 08:40:34 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    We usually fly with Asiana but this time the missus got a free trip through work and wanted to use a Japanese airline so we used Ana. It cost twice as much, the food was worse and the seats didnít recline, just sort of slid forwards, which was pretty uncomfortable. Weíre going back to cheap next time.
    Believe me, the food wasnít worse than with Air China!
  • Ror 1 Nov 2018 22:50:51 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flights booked \o/ Though something went wrong for the friend I was going to travel with, so we're on separate flights. Ah well.

I booked with Lufthansa/ANA, because that was about the only decently-priced flight I could get that didn't get into Tokyo late in the day, and I didn't really want to lose an entire day.

It's (almost) the exact same route I took in September - Heathrow to Frankfurt to Haneda on the way out, and then Haneda to Munich to Heathrow coming back. I say 'almost', as last time I had to come back via Stansted. Agree that the seats aren't particularly comfortable on ANA (that sliding seat pan thing just doesn't do anything other than give you lower back ache), but it'll do. I did look at Asiana, as they were over £100 cheaper, but again, the earliest flight they were offering landed at 21:10. By the time you're through immigration and collect your luggage, you've lost the first day.

I'll be meeting up with a couple of other friends out there, for whom it'll be the first time, and we'll be doing six days in Tokyo, one in Hiroshima, another six in Kyoto, and then two more in Tokyo before flying back. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of the country this time!
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Nov 2018 23:58:56 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Flights booked \o/ Though something went wrong for the friend I was going to travel with, so we're on separate flights. Ah well.

I booked with Lufthansa/ANA, because that was about the only decently-priced flight I could get that didn't get into Tokyo late in the day, and I didn't really want to lose an entire day.

It's (almost) the exact same route I took in September - Heathrow to Frankfurt to Haneda on the way out, and then Haneda to Munich to Heathrow coming back. I say 'almost', as last time I had to come back via Stansted. Agree that the seats aren't particularly comfortable on ANA (that sliding seat pan thing just doesn't do anything other than give you lower back ache), but it'll do. I did look at Asiana, as they were over £100 cheaper, but again, the earliest flight they were offering landed at 21:10. By the time you're through immigration and collect your luggage, you've lost the first day.

I'll be meeting up with a couple of other friends out there, for whom it'll be the first time, and we'll be doing six days in Tokyo, one in Hiroshima, another six in Kyoto, and then two more in Tokyo before flying back. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of the country this time!
    Awesome, my Japanese teacher/mate usually flies back with Lufthansa and she's a fussy bugger so should be good.

The trip sounds great, what day trips have you planned?
  • Ror 2 Nov 2018 00:15:24 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing booked just yet, I think we're all going to meet up in a couple of weeks and get some things planned out/book where we can.
  • DaM 2 Nov 2018 09:46:26 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Still hot out there, then? It was 35 when I was wandering around Harajuku and it was just too bloody much.

A shame that your Skytree experience was ruined, Tomo. Did you at least enjoy the view?

I got back last week. Had a phenomenal time. Think Japan is my number 2 holiday destination after Hawaii. And possibly Australia.

What's the attraction of Hawaii? My daughter expressed an interest...
  • Deleted user 2 November 2018 10:41:09
    DaM wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Has she watched Moana by any chance? :)
  • DaM 2 Nov 2018 13:32:57 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Probably...she's 12 though, and hates Disney princesses :)
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Nov 2018 13:37:13 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Spectacular nature seems to be the biggest thing, my concern would be that it's too American but some people have assured me that it's not.

Hopefully I'll go there one day but higher up the list are
    Japan (probs many times)
    Argentina/Chile
    Australia/NZ
    Namibia/Tanzania/South Africa
    Indonesia
    Vietnam (again)
    Colombia
  • Vortex808 2 Nov 2018 13:53:34 13,094 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Probably...she's 12 though, and hates Disney princesses :)
    Does she want to be a volcanologist when she grows up?

Hmm, auto-correct thinks volcanologist, I thought it was vulcanologist?
  • Ror 18 Mar 2019 16:04:46 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just booked my JR Pass and portable wifi! Excite! Two weeks tomorrow I'll be heading off.
  • uiruki 18 Mar 2019 16:06:01 4,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Enjoy the crowds! Iíll be there over the Easter holidays. Iíd invite you to PM me if you wanted some recommendations but, you know.
  • Ror 18 Mar 2019 16:10:20 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, yeah, it's going to be utterly mental, isn't it? One of the friends I'm going with wanted to go for Sakura season, but I really hope the crowds don't ruin his first time in Japan for him. Silly bugger's staying in the centre of Shinjuku as well, so he won't get any respite!
  • uiruki 18 Mar 2019 16:19:18 4,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As long as expectations are in check I think itíll be fine. The most obnoxious time for me remains Halloween in Shibuya.

Just breathe deeply, walk in a straight line and be prepared to dance around random tourists stopping in the middle of the street. And remember that if someone gets in your way they almost certainly arenít local!

Iíll be there over Golden Week which should be interesting; I canít remember if it clears out for people going on holiday or fills up with people visiting Tokyo.
  • Ror 1 Apr 2019 21:52:21 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Off to Heathrow in about six hours!
  • elstoof 1 Apr 2019 22:13:06 22,737 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sayonara
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2019 22:27:03 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Off to Heathrow in about six hours!
    Have a great time you lucky sod, I have to wait till October :(
  • Mageme 1 Apr 2019 23:24:51 2,240 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm heading to Okinawa next week! I think I've only got the aquarium on my personal to-do list but open to other suggestions!
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Apr 2019 23:34:50 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mageme wrote:
    I'm heading to Okinawa next week! I think I've only got the aquarium on my personal to-do list but open to other suggestions!
    I didn't spend much time on the main island but visited Miyakojima and Ishigakijima and loved both of them.
    Apparently the Kerama islands are very nice and right next to you, only an hour ferry IIRC.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Apr 2019 03:26:36 19,516 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    As long as expectations are in check I think itíll be fine. The most obnoxious time for me remains Halloween in Shibuya.

Just breathe deeply, walk in a straight line and be prepared to dance around random tourists stopping in the middle of the street. And remember that if someone gets in your way they almost certainly arenít local!

Iíll be there over Golden Week which should be interesting; I canít remember if it clears out for people going on holiday or fills up with people visiting Tokyo.
    Golden Week from my experience is usually people going back to their hometown to see the family. So Tokyo might be less crowded (but still crowded, because it's Tokyo).
  • Ror 2 Apr 2019 04:03:55 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the road now

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.