Going to Japan Page 7

• wobbly_Bob 2 Apr 2019 12:07:39 5,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    On the road now
    Have a great time! I loved Japan. The flight is brutal though :)
  • DaM 3 Apr 2019 09:13:18 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't mind long flights. Bonus if I have to sit away from the wife and kids due to seat restrictions. I get peace and quiet, watch films and drink G&Ts, read a book.
  • DaM 3 Apr 2019 09:13:47 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Are you there yet? We need updates user Ror.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Apr 2019 09:30:20 26,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We are looking at 4 weeks in Kyushu from the last week in October. Trying to piece together our itinerary. Anyone spent some time there?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Apr 2019 11:45:46 3,424 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only a little time in Kyushu, nostly in Fukuoka/Hakata and down to Nagasaki. Also a trip to Mount Aso was nice. I hear it is worth heading down to the south to see Sakurajima too but I never had the time when I was in the area. Not sure how easy Aso is to get to on public transport as I met a friend with a car in Fukuoka and we drove there.
  • Ror 4 Apr 2019 16:47:26 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    End of my second day. The flight was an absolute bastard this time as it was early morning and I hadn't slept. Then I landed early morning JST and just powered through day one.

Spent yesterday in Shibuya, then went to Meiji Jingu. Today was Akihabara nerdy/weeby stuff, plus awesome karaoke and lots of drinking.

First stop, though, was the FFXIV theme cafe in Akiba, which was GREAT. Was really sad to miss it last time I was here, so it was a must this trip.

Also finally checked out Super Potato, which was very hot and crowded. Oh yeah, and I saw a couple of YouTube people in the Kotobukiya store (Joey the anime guy and Aki Dearest, if anyone knows them).

Gonna head to Yokohama for a few hours tomorrow, as the mate I'm travelling with hasn't been there before.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Apr 2019 17:01:50 26,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Only a little time in Kyushu, nostly in Fukuoka/Hakata and down to Nagasaki. Also a trip to Mount Aso was nice. I hear it is worth heading down to the south to see Sakurajima too but I never had the time when I was in the area. Not sure how easy Aso is to get to on public transport as I met a friend with a car in Fukuoka and we drove there.
    Cheers, I'm planning on renting a car for quite a bit of the non city stuff such as Mount Aso.
  • Tomo 4 Apr 2019 19:59:54 16,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Still hot out there, then? It was 35 when I was wandering around Harajuku and it was just too bloody much.

A shame that your Skytree experience was ruined, Tomo. Did you at least enjoy the view?

Hope you both enjoy your respective holidays!
    I got back last week. Had a phenomenal time. Think Japan is my number 2 holiday destination after Hawaii. And possibly Australia.

All annoyingly far away..!
    What's the attraction of Hawaii? My daughter expressed an interest...
    Missed this 5 months ago...

Hawaii is literally paradise. Everywhere is a postcard. It's just incredible. In Honolulu you can have a 20th floor Airbnb that overlooks the ocean, then walk two minutes and swim in warm blue sea at 6am in the morning.

Head to the other side of the island and you can go hiking through tropical woods. Dotted all around are bays for snorkeling. Then you can go surfing or paddle boarding.

Once you've done there you can go to Big Island and drive all the way to the top of Mauna Kea, above the clouds, to do star gazing. Then you can go all the way back down the next day and walk 5 miles across the magma fields to see lava spewing into the sea. Drive back home and see the sky turn orange because of the volcano in the middle of the island.

Next day you can do more snorkeling in some coral rock pools. Then you can eat amazing Mexican food in Hilo and have some awesome donuts. Then go back to the beach. Then find somewhere else spectacular to explore.

It's an amazing place.
  • Tomo 4 Apr 2019 20:01:37 16,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That said, this is the Japan thread and I really miss being there after my trip last year. Another stunning place.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Apr 2019 20:05:11 26,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Still hot out there, then? It was 35 when I was wandering around Harajuku and it was just too bloody much.

A shame that your Skytree experience was ruined, Tomo. Did you at least enjoy the view?

Hope you both enjoy your respective holidays!
    I got back last week. Had a phenomenal time. Think Japan is my number 2 holiday destination after Hawaii. And possibly Australia.

All annoyingly far away..!
    What's the attraction of Hawaii? My daughter expressed an interest...
    Missed this 5 months ago...

Hawaii is literally paradise. Everywhere is a postcard. It's just incredible. In Honolulu you can have a 20th floor Airbnb that overlooks the ocean, then walk two minutes and swim in warm blue sea at 6am in the morning.

Head to the other side of the island and you can go hiking through tropical woods. Dotted all around are bays for snorkeling. Then you can go surfing or paddle boarding.

Once you've done there you can go to Big Island and drive all the way to the top of Mauna Kea, above the clouds, to do star gazing. Then you can go all the way back down the next day and walk 5 miles across the magma fields to see lava spewing into the sea. Drive back home and see the sky turn orange because of the volcano in the middle of the island.

Next day you can do more snorkeling in some coral rock pools. Then you can eat amazing Mexican food in Hilo and have some awesome donuts. Then go back to the beach. Then find somewhere else spectacular to explore.

It's an amazing place.
    Sounds rubbish
  • Ror 5 Apr 2019 06:05:22 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yamashita Park, Yokohama

• Tonka 5 Apr 2019 11:51:23 29,324 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone been to the Ghibli museum and if so how did you get a ticket?
    I have a vague memory of reading you need to apply months head.
  • uiruki 5 Apr 2019 12:02:04 4,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tonka you need to book it in advance. You can do it a month ahead; they release tickets for the following month at 10am on the 10th. That means next month’s tickets will be released at 2am uk time next Wednesday morning. You buy them from Lawson; either their Loppi machines in convenience stores or through their online ordering service.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/ticket/ (Japanese)

JTB also run an English language page for ordering from abroad:

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket-information/
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Apr 2019 12:02:43 5,956 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror Did people give you a weird look when you took the picture?
  • Tonka 5 Apr 2019 12:18:16 29,324 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @uiruki Excellent! Thank you for the informative reply.

My kids are nagging me to go to Japan and they have to must-see things on their list. Ghibli museum and Ninja museum. Sounds excellent to me. Since we're in China once a year the plan is to mix it up a little with a few weeks in China and then some time in Japan.
    (A reverse ecosse as it's known) Not really

I love mountain hikes and a quick google made it seem as if that's possible as well.
  • RyanDS 5 Apr 2019 12:20:47 12,696 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Anyone been to the Ghibli museum and if so how did you get a ticket?
    I have a vague memory of reading you need to apply months head.
    We bought tickets in advance, that has already been covered how to.

It is definitely worth it, I loved every second. I am a 40 year old man, and that is the one place I would describe as magical and mean it fully with no irony.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2019 12:22:31 26,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @uiruki Excellent! Thank you for the informative reply.

My kids are nagging me to go to Japan and they have to must-see things on their list. Ghibli museum and Ninja museum. Sounds excellent to me. Since we're in China once a year the plan is to mix it up a little with a few weeks in China and then some time in Japan.
    (A reverse ecosse as it's known) Not really

I love mountain hikes and a quick google made it seem as if that's possible as well.
    Japan is fucking great for hiking with the endless volcanos and mountains.
  • Ror 6 Apr 2019 07:24:37 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 If they did, it's because I had a beer in my other hand.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2019 07:41:13 19,519 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ninja museums are lots of fun. There's probably more than one, but the one I often took people to (in a town called Iga-Ueno, where I used to live while I was teaching) had a house with false doors and hidden compartments, a mock martial arts show, and a throwing star range.
  • Tonka 6 Apr 2019 07:44:24 29,324 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That sounds perfect! Is there a Pokemon museum as well?

Better start saving money...
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2019 07:46:15 19,519 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dunno about Pokemon, but the ninja museum I'm talking about is doable as a day trip from Kyoto.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2019 08:09:33 26,239 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Ninja museums are lots of fun. There's probably more than one, but the one I often took people to (in a town called Iga-Ueno, where I used to live while I was teaching) had a house with false doors and hidden compartments, a mock martial arts show, and a throwing star range.
    Sounds similar to one I went to in Kanazawa
  • Ror 6 Apr 2019 10:55:56 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ueno Park

• wuntyphyve 6 Apr 2019 11:13:21 11,930 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That looks busy! Look at those cherry blossoms though. Awesome.
  • Ror 6 Apr 2019 17:36:18 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was insanely busy. Very nice, though.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Apr 2019 17:48:45 5,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    It looks beautiful! I went to Yoyogi Park while in Japan. It has a differnt feel to Ueno Park. It's basially a forest with huge wooden Tori Gates.

By the way if you like ramen I recommend Afuri It was honestly life changing good. They use yuzu in the broth to brigten the flavour. Everything about it was outstanding. I relive they have a michelin star.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 17:49:07 06-04-2019
  • Ror 7 Apr 2019 09:54:42 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for the recommendation Bob, I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah, we went to Yoyogi the other day, was nice and relaxed. I think I've been to four parks already :D

Went to the Sumida Hokusai Museum today, which was very nice. Now currently in the Asahi Beer Hall, and then off to Ichiran.

• Tomo 7 Apr 2019 10:25:06 16,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    It looks beautiful! I went to Yoyogi Park while in Japan. It has a differnt feel to Ueno Park. It's basially a forest with huge wooden Tori Gates.

By the way if you like ramen I recommend Afuri It was honestly life changing good. They use yuzu in the broth to brigten the flavour. Everything about it was outstanding. I relive they have a michelin star.
    We went to Afuri in Roppongi! Was incredible. Plus it's one of the few restaurants to cater for vegetarians. I had the pork one but my GF had veggie - was amazing.

Didn't understand the weird self service machine but thankfully they sorted us out anyway after we ordered everything incorrectly.
  • Ror 7 Apr 2019 12:42:48 18,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now in an izakaya in Golden Gai listening to Quiet Riot :)
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Apr 2019 14:01:20 5,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Cheers for the recommendation Bob, I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah, we went to Yoyogi the other day, was nice and relaxed. I think I've been to four parks already :D

Went to the Sumida Hokusai Museum today, which was very nice. Now currently in the Asahi Beer Hall, and then off to Ichiran.

I really enjoyed Ichiran. What was your favourite park out of the ones you visited?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.