Going to Japan Page 8

Next Last
  • uiruki 7 Apr 2019 14:17:52 4,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ichiran has gotten really popular over the last few years; Iíve spoken to friends and I think the reason you see such big queues is that they were covered in Chinese media at some point. I went to the Kichijoji one and remembered they had unusually good foreign language menus too.

For my money, when it comes to ramen my favourite is Yakumo but itís a bit of a trek out in Ikejiri. For tsukemen I highly recommend Fuíun-ji in Shinjuku. They are both absolutely queue out of the door places though and I donít think they have much in the way of foreign menus. In terms of chains I like Tetsu a lot, the one out behind Yamada in shibuya is usually clear. Try and get some aburasoba too, Tokyo Aburakumi is good. Thereís a place in Shibuya which does amazing tantanmen but the name escapes my right now. When I lived out in Kichijoji I liked Souryuutoukyokudou a lot, there was one in Meguro as well.

And donít forget, if you like super spicy food, definitely check out Nakamoto. Even the non-spicy one is good as they give you loads of veg, was very useful when I was super skint.

Edit: Iím sure the fact Iíll be there in less than a fortnight isnít making these spring up in my mind or anything. Donít get me started on coffee or beer.

Edited by uiruki at 14:21:59 07-04-2019
  • Ror 9 Apr 2019 13:28:37 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In Hiroshima today! Pic I took earlier:

Jumped on the ferry to Miyajima, which was lovely (if a bit touristy. Still ace, though). Then, okonomiyaki. Next: more karaoke!
  • wobbly_Bob 9 Apr 2019 15:58:34 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    In Hiroshima today! Pic I took earlier:

Jumped on the ferry to Miyajima, which was lovely (if a bit touristy. Still ace, though). Then, okonomiyaki. Next: more karaoke!
    That looks amazing! Nice!
  • Ror 10 Apr 2019 12:08:35 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just arrived in Kyoto! About to grab some beef katsu.

Went to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum/Park/A-bomb for today, which was a pretty heavy afternoon.

• Ror 13 Apr 2019 17:13:51 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brief update: been in Kyoto a few days and so far been to Nijo Castle, the Manga Museum (they had a cast of Yoshitaka Amano's hand!!), Kinkakuji, and then spent most of yesterday at Fushimi Inari, climbing a mountain. That was tiring!

Off to Osaka for a bit tomorrow, which will be the fifth city I'll have visited on this trip.
  • Ror 13 Apr 2019 17:15:40 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here is the view from about halfway up Mt Inari.

• wobbly_Bob 13 Apr 2019 17:19:12 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ror

You're really getting around! Nice view from the mountain
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Apr 2019 17:21:07 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Brief update: been in Kyoto a few days and so far been to Nijo Castle, the Manga Museum (they had a cast of Yoshitaka Amano's hand!!), Kinkakuji, and then spent most of yesterday at Fushimi Inari, climbing a mountain. That was tiring!

Off to Osaka for a bit tomorrow, which will be the fifth city I'll have visited on this trip.
    Osaka is great, I have a few restaurant tips if you like.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Apr 2019 17:21:19 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Here is the view from about halfway up Mt Inari.

Awesome.
  • Ror 13 Apr 2019 17:24:08 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @ror

You're really getting around! Nice view from the mountain
    Cheers Bob! Yeah, been to Tokyo, Yokohama, Hiroshima and Kyoto so far. I really want to go back to Hiroshima at some point, and for longer than a day and a half, it was really beautiful.

The friends I'm with went to Nara today, but I just couldn't face it. My feet were absolutely shot after nine days of constant walking and then going up and down a mountain! I just went into Kyoto for a bit and had a brief wander through Teramachi. Was pretty chilled. Even had a burrito in the Kyoto Tower food hall :D
  • Ror 13 Apr 2019 17:25:28 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, happy to hear them, cheers. Never been there before.
  • Ror 14 Apr 2019 04:36:00 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the train to Osaka, and I think I know where Platinum's offices are. Gonna see if I can bump into Hideki Kamiya and get blocked irl.
  • uiruki 14 Apr 2019 21:40:47 4,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Booked my extra hotels for the week after next. Feels weird to have my main Tokyo hotel used as an expensive locker for my suitcase for a few days!

Edited by uiruki at 21:41:00 14-04-2019
  • DaM 15 Apr 2019 13:11:24 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I got up early for Mt Inari. Was surprised to see my father in law (travelling with us) doing Tai Chi with a bunch of Japanese pensioners at the bottom.....

One of the best things I did in Japan. Nearly ran out of glucose tabs (I'm a T1 diabetic), but found vending machines halfway up :)

Saw some land crabs, and met a Labrador at the top. Showed the owner pics of mine.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2019 14:34:26 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, happy to hear them, cheers. Never been there before.
    Sorry, I totally forgot, probs too late now but here we go anyway:

1) Koji Labo Curry Restaurant

Inexpensive, authentic little place that only does a few different curries but they are great.

Google Maps

Website

2) Moegi Teppanyaki Restaurant

Google Maps

I need to get other names from my gf's journal.
  • Ror 15 Apr 2019 14:40:09 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye, too late, but no bother - found a nice little ramen bar near Amerikamura.

Went to Arashiyama Monkey Park this morning. Look at this bleedin view.

Also: monkeys!

As an aside, Arashiyama is lovely.

@DaM I somewhat understand. I have one lung, so Mt Inari absolutely killed me.

Edited by Ror at 16:14:39 15-04-2019
  • DaM 15 Apr 2019 15:15:54 17,284 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ror wrote:

@DaM I somewhat understand. I have one lung, so Mt Inara absolutely killed me.
    The hill up to the monkey place was a steep one too!

On the way up there, an old lady in front captured a big flying bug and let me hold it.

These completely random interactions with strangers happened all the time in Japan, lovely people.
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Apr 2019 16:09:29 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Ror wrote:

On the way up there, an old lady in front captured a big flying bug and let me hold it.

These completely random interactions with strangers happened all the time in Japan, lovely people.
    Yes I found that with the people to. They have to be some of the warmest friendliest people in the world. I was stopped so many times by strangers to help or just to interact with me.
  • Ror 15 Apr 2019 16:11:28 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Ror wrote:

It was, I had to stop for a breather partway! I would have been alright had I not spent the previous twelve days walking all over the country!
  • Ror 16 Apr 2019 09:44:40 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Back in Tokyo, just checked into my hotel in Asakusa for the last two days. Pretty much right on top of Senso-ji.
  • uiruki 16 Apr 2019 10:08:23 4,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Donít forget your plastic omurice from Kappabashi!
  • Ror 16 Apr 2019 10:25:20 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Might be an idea for gifts for people :D
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Apr 2019 12:37:01 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Back in Tokyo, just checked into my hotel in Asakusa for the last two days. Pretty much right on top of Senso-ji.
    Enjoy, Tokyo is a city that Iíll never tire of.
  • Ror 19 Apr 2019 12:18:02 18,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah, home now. And now I have to look into replacing my phone, as I dropped it in the street in Gion.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Apr 2019 16:59:22 26,239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Bah, home now. And now I have to look into replacing my phone, as I dropped it in the street in Gion.
    The good thing about coming home is that you can start planning your next trip :)
  • GameCriticDOTcoDOTuk 20 Apr 2019 19:23:11 549 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I had a bit of a quick look in Joypolis. Quick, because I know I'd have come out flat broke otherwise. They had a video of the Yakuza 3 remaster playing at the entrance. High Def Rikiya ;_;

I took a few shots of the Gundam just because it was so fucking nutty.

Also, I took the Yurikamome line to get to Odaiba, which was a nice little ride. Reminded me of the DLR a bit. Hyperdia is absolutely worth it's weight in gold!

I think I have seen a Gundam!!

Please keep the pictures coming and if you see any more Gundams, please post their location? Apparently there are 5 Gundams?
  • areallyniceman 20 Apr 2019 19:27:12 16 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 days ago
    GameCriticDOTcoDOTuk wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    I had a bit of a quick look in Joypolis. Quick, because I know I'd have come out flat broke otherwise. They had a video of the Yakuza 3 remaster playing at the entrance. High Def Rikiya ;_;

I took a few shots of the Gundam just because it was so fucking nutty.

Also, I took the Yurikamome line to get to Odaiba, which was a nice little ride. Reminded me of the DLR a bit. Hyperdia is absolutely worth it's weight in gold!

I think I have seen a Gundam!!

Please keep the pictures coming and if you see any more Gundams, please post their location? Apparently there are 5 Gundams?
    The plural is "Gundem".
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.