Going to Japan Page 2

  • Jono62 26 Aug 2018 16:01:26 22,602 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob What's the burger situation in Japan, Bob? Well...

    https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001010/
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Aug 2018 16:26:58 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob What's the burger situation in Japan, Bob? Well...

    https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001010/
    Looks like a good situation! I like the look of homeys from that list. I was thinking about Henry's pure wagu burgers :D

    https://japanplus.info/gourmet/wagyu-burger/
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Aug 2018 16:47:49 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll just leave these here...

    Capcom bar!


    NINJA RESTAURANT

    Edited by wobbly_Bob at 16:49:33 26-08-2018
  • Ror 26 Aug 2018 16:56:42 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know what, there was a café in Tokyo that I read about a few years back. I remember thinking, "Damn, if I ever go to Tokyo, I have to go there!"

    Then I forgot about it.

    You linking the Capcom bar has reminded me that I really need to try and go to the Eorzea Cafe if it's still there.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Aug 2018 17:13:50 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That looks cool. I just looked and yeah it's still there! If they are not serving chicken and calling it chocobo they are doing it wrong.
  • Ror 26 Aug 2018 17:23:59 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent. I love that it's modelled after the Carline Canopy, as that's pretty much the first place you'll go if you start the game in Gridania. Which I always do :D So it's a bit like a second home.

    I wonder if I show them my FFXIV tattoo they'll give me a freebie of some kind :D
  • Ror 26 Aug 2018 17:25:54 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, also, I need to look up Book Off and Hard Off locations before I go. I'll thank Adam Koralik for making me aware of those!
  • Tuffty 26 Aug 2018 17:43:02 4,357 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I wonder if Kawasaki Warehouse is still open. Used to be a cool arcade modelled around the Kowloon walled city and had some cool retro stuff but was worth it for the vibe. The nearby temples are rather 'colourful' too, particularly if you happen to be there for the festival...
    It still is open, I was there in April. Cool arcade, was really great to be in it and see machines there for Outrun and Space Harrier along with darts, pool, pachinko...pretty good place to be with a friend or two and you have yen to burn.

    Kamakura is nice too, me and the girlfriend kind of just found it on accident when trying to get to Diver City. The giant Buddha statue is nice to see and there's a few other places to see as well, it's quiet away from the noise of Tokyo. Asakura is the tourist place to go to see some of the temples, though not much else to do other than to look at them.

    Few other places to recommend, Diver City which is a shopping mall but outside it is the massive Gundam statue, there's a huge Gundam shop within the mall as well. Within a 15 min walk from Diver City is the Sega Joypolis which is something of any indoor amusement park. You have the typical arcade machines there but also some attractions like the Resident Evil attraction, based on the house from RE7, the Transformers arcade machine which is like this big shooting gallery you can spin around 360 degrees in depending on what's happening on screen, the House of the Dead arcade machine, Initial D...it was a good time, we went at night so the lines weren't too bad.

    Also in the Ikebukuro district, there's a shopping mall called Sunshine City. Within it is another indoor amusement park dedicated to big anime franchises, Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto. Not sure if that's your thing but if it is, they all have themed attractions with each one and themed restaurants as well.

    In terms of restaurants, be on the lookout for a ramen restaurant called the Ichiran. It's a chain of restaurants so you'll find them all in and around Tokyo, but that was where I had the best pork ramen. That's their speciality dish and you can customise it to how you want based on your preferences. It's also an interesting way they serve the ramen. Every seat is in front of a counter but it seperates you from the staff via a curtain. Even the adjacent seats have dividers, so in essence you don't really need to bother with anyone. Worth looking out for, I would say though maybe plan an early dinner that day that you are going. We went a few times in different areas and every time the queue was all the way out to the street, up to an 1hr waiting time just to get in. We went about 4.30 and even then there was a line.

    Above all, enjoy the trip!
  • Navi 26 Aug 2018 17:52:48 330 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Oh, also, I need to look up Book Off and Hard Off locations before I go. I'll thank Adam Koralik for making me aware of those!
    You can't miss Book Off, they are all over the place. Really good ones at Ikebukuro and Akihabara (I like to get retro game stuff there, cheaper than Super Potato, although much smaller range).
  • Alastair 26 Aug 2018 18:56:02 23,700 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I'll just leave these here...

    Capcom bar!


    NINJA RESTAURANT
    When I was in Tokyo earlier this year it was kitted out as a monster hunter bar. Sadly, you had to book so I didn't get in.
    There is also the Capcom Cafe which is somewhat out of town in a shopping centre. Worth going though...
  • uiruki 26 Aug 2018 20:19:03 4,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Words
    Right, bit by bit:

    Skytree - Tocho observation deck is pretty good - there's a lot of windows, it's easy to see around and it's free! It's a little hike from central Shinjuku but worth it at least once. There's a Paul Bassett cafe fairly nearby, that's not bad coffee if you need to pause for a bit. When you're in Shibuya try and head up Hikarie as well, it should hopefully give you a decent view of all the redevelopment they're doing there.

    Yokohama - Of the two I'd definitely try and do Yokohama if you can; if you plan it out it's possible to do most of the good stuff in a day if you walk fast. Start from Sakuragicho. Landmark Tower's the tallest building in East Japan, the Cup Noodle museum is there, there's a little theme park, the parks are good, the red brick warehouses are really neat and the Chinatown is well worth checking out. World Porters isn't a bad stop for lunch either, though a little 'generic series of restaurants'.

    TGS - no harm missing it - for me I found parties etc around TGS more entertaining than the crowded consumer day events, especially everything to do with the train there and back.

    Suica - You can have up to 20k on a Suica card at a time. I don't think there's a limit to daily use but obviously you have to charge it at a train station. If you have to charge it with cash anyway, probably better to just use the money. It's easy enough to get used to, it's all 1s and 5s. Just withdraw from a 7-11 and you won't be charged any extra than your bank rates.

    In terms of arcades, it really isn't what it used to be unfortunately. It stings even more as someone who used to play a lot of Virtua Fighter! If you go to Akihabara, make sure you check out both Hey and Tokyo Leisureland.

    Most of all, just enjoy it. Just don't stop in the middle of the street!

    Edit: a lot there again. Basically, what you need to do is to plan out each day by location based around stuff you don’t want to miss and see what you can get done as it is both big and dense. Let me know what you like in terms of food and drink and I can supply some places which are worth the trip (in my opinion). I think in this climate the Petit Delirium Cafe on Southern Terrace in Shinjuku (the main one is at Toranomon) would be really nice.

    Edited by uiruki at 20:43:11 26-08-2018
  • Ror 31 Aug 2018 00:12:14 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oops, meant to come back and update the thread, but I've been a bit busy trying to get some stuff sorted before I go. Two days now, eep!

    Thanks again for all the information, I've made a note of everything just to have a bit of a quick reference guide of sorts.

    Now to pack, and see if I have any room left for souvenirs :D
  • Ror 31 Aug 2018 12:52:16 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, am I right in thinking that there's a Square Enix store somewhere in Shinjuku? Worth a visit?
  • Navi 31 Aug 2018 13:57:30 330 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Haven't been to the Shinjuku one, but there is a nice Square Enix cafe and store in Akihabara that is worth looking into.

    Not much merch, but worth a few minutes plus the food is nice.
  • wobbly_Bob 31 Aug 2018 15:00:30 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Oops, meant to come back and update the thread, but I've been a bit busy trying to get some stuff sorted before I go. Two days now, eep!

    Thanks again for all the information, I've made a note of everything just to have a bit of a quick reference guide of sorts.

    Now to pack, and see if I have any room left for souvenirs :D
    Ooooh! Excite! Have a great trip! I'll be interested to hear of your adventures when you're back.
  • Ror 31 Aug 2018 15:06:52 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Bob! Was considering blogging it while I was there, but stuff that - I just want to enjoy myself :D

    And thanks Navi, I'll have a look at the café.
  • uiruki 31 Aug 2018 16:49:55 4,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely make sure you take plenty of pics, you'll thank yourself later!
  • wobbly_Bob 31 Aug 2018 17:59:09 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Cheers Bob! Was considering blogging it while I was there, but stuff that - I just want to enjoy myself :D

    And thanks Navi, I'll have a look at the café.
    I'm half considering blogging my trip but as you say it's a bit of a faff so dunno.
  • Ror 31 Aug 2018 18:55:59 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I'll definitely be taking a ton of photos. But I was thinking of doing a whole travelog type thing. I think that'll just eat into my time though.

    Edited by Ror at 18:56:32 31-08-2018
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Sep 2018 16:39:15 3,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Cheers Bob! Was considering blogging it while I was there, but stuff that - I just want to enjoy myself :D

    And thanks Navi, I'll have a look at the café.
    I'm half considering blogging my trip but as you say it's a bit of a faff so dunno.
    Finding the time for blogging (even just getting the stuff written out or typed up) always seems to take longer than the time you have (for me anyway). I still have two and a half days of my last short 8 day trip to write up (at least this time I wrote on a smartphone and travelled with someone to help me remember), not to mention my scribbly notes from my 2014 extended Trans Siberian (ferry and train only journey from Korea to UK) notes are still in handwritten form (and I fear it has been a bit long for me to magically remember the anecdotes and fun bots to fill it in). And to top it all off, bever figured how or where best to actually blog it. Just done the usual lazy firing of photos up on FB (and more revently Flickr) minus much context.

    As for the Capcom Cafe, I travelled all tge way out to it with my wife and son in 2012 to find it was licensed so he couldn't go in so we never got to try it in the end disappointingly. I remember spotting a few DQ related things, although some being in bar districts in Osaka looked a less 'genuine' from the outside.
  • Ror 1 Sep 2018 19:02:47 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking hell, tomorrow. I should probably pack.


    I will probably make some quick notes on my phone at the end of each day, just in case I do feel like writing something when I get back and need something to jog the memory.


    I spoke to a friend who has been a couple of times today, and asked him about the Square Enix store in Shinjuku - I remember him showing my some photos, like a life-size Sephiroth encased in Materia, embedded in the floor. He said he can't remember how to get there, only that it was a bit of a pain and was under an underpass :D I will have to look it up.
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Sep 2018 20:13:29 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Cheers Bob! Was considering blogging it while I was there, but stuff that - I just want to enjoy myself :D

    And thanks Navi, I'll have a look at the café.
    I'm half considering blogging my trip but as you say it's a bit of a faff so dunno.
    Finding the time for blogging (even just getting the stuff written out or typed up) always seems to take longer than the time you have (for me anyway). I still have two and a half days of my last short 8 day trip to write up (at least this time I wrote on a smartphone and travelled with someone to help me remember), not to mention my scribbly notes from my 2014 extended Trans Siberian (ferry and train only journey from Korea to UK) notes are still in handwritten form (and I fear it has been a bit long for me to magically remember the anecdotes and fun bots to fill it in). And to top it all off, bever figured how or where best to actually blog it. Just done the usual lazy firing of photos up on FB (and more revently Flickr) minus much context.

    As for the Capcom Cafe, I travelled all tge way out to it with my wife and son in 2012 to find it was licensed so he couldn't go in so we never got to try it in the end disappointingly. I remember spotting a few DQ related things, although some being in bar districts in Osaka looked a less 'genuine' from the outside.
    I found this travel blog app today https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sktechx.volo
  • Ror 2 Sep 2018 14:26:49 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flight's been delayed. Thankfully only by half an hour, so I'll still make my connection as long as it stays on track.
  • Ror 2 Sep 2018 19:15:21 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Made it to Frankfurt! Just about to board my connection, and I AM EXCITE.

    Well, not for the eleven hours in a metal tube, but still.
  • Ror 3 Sep 2018 09:53:29 18,704 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have arrived.

    And I am shattered.
  • wobbly_Bob 3 Sep 2018 10:26:03 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I have arrived.

    And I am shattered.
    Jet lagged like a mother fucker? lol I'm not looking forward to that. How are you VB planning on dealing with that?
  • uiruki 3 Sep 2018 10:30:19 4,863 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Surprised at that - I’ve always found it much easier going east though one time I did arrive in the middle of the day and that threw me off quite a bit. Moving around and eating at the proper times is the best - I’ve been told high protein food helps your body clock though that might just be an excuse to eat lots of meat!

    Edit: one thing I always try to do if possible at the airport on arrival is have a shower before getting on the train. That helps a lot, I think.

    Edited by uiruki at 10:31:18 03-09-2018
  • Deleted user 3 September 2018 10:31:55
    It's worth making the trek to Mitaka if you want to visit the Ghibli museum if you enjoy their films. Beautiful place and a feast for the eyes. There's a temple down the road on top of a hill where people go to receive blessings of good fortune.
  • elstoof 3 Sep 2018 10:33:34 23,706 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Going east is fine if you’re flying overnight I find. The other way is the killer, trying to stay awake for a 35 hour day
  • Phattso 3 Sep 2018 10:43:39 24,800 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Innit wrote:
    It's worth making the trek to Mitaka if you want to visit the Ghibli museum if you enjoy their films. Beautiful place and a feast for the eyes. There's a temple down the road on top of a hill where people go to receive blessings of good fortune.
    Nice idea, but tickets for the museum are usually sold out many weeks in advance aren't they? I tried my luck in one of the funky terminals in a convenience store, and got some of the last tickets available that week. This was a good four years back mind you.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.