Following Streets of Rage 4 Page 20

• richyroo 5 May 2020 17:36:56 446 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Tried the online coop on PC, for story mode (as I was getting desperate trying to beat the final level) - the lag made it nigh unplayable, and what I really didn't like was that if the other player quits (because they ran out of lives) that ends the session (I was still working on the final boss).

Anyways, I managed to beat the game on my own in the end. Hope they fix the netcode soon because this does have MP potential.
    You can just start a new game and continue from the level that you left off.
  • KnuttinAtoll 5 May 2020 18:03:22 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Tried the online coop on PC, for story mode (as I was getting desperate trying to beat the final level) - the lag made it nigh unplayable, and what I really didn't like was that if the other player quits (because they ran out of lives) that ends the session (I was still working on the final boss).

Anyways, I managed to beat the game on my own in the end. Hope they fix the netcode soon because this does have MP potential.
    You can just start a new game and continue from the level that you left off.
    Hmm, maybe I didn't notice the option, it seemed I got booted straight to the main menu after the other person left.
  • drhickman1983 5 May 2020 23:44:47 6,677 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The game is good, but I'm loving the soundtrack more than the actual game. Bought the damn thing and it's been pretty much on repeat. As it was composed in a dynamic nature inevitably some bits get left out on the OST mix (notably I miss the ambient build up at the start of Chow Time), but it's just great.

Like the game itself, it wont be as iconic as SOR2, but it has more nuance and variation.
  • Dgzter 6 May 2020 09:27:36 3,209 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, the soundtrack is genuinely fantastic; it really grew on me the more I played. The track from Das Mortal that kicks in when you trigger P2 of the final boss fight is absolutely perfect.

I'm just tidying up the last few story mode playthroughs with the new characters (wont bother with the vintage ones); and doing a few stage selects to get all my Hard ratings up to A--not been able to hit an S yet :(

All in all it's been a real pleasant surprise, especially given the weight of expectation for a new entry in the series. I've definitely rinsed my money's worth out of it, and intend to pick it up on my Switch for some quick games when the world has unfucked itself.
  • AddyB- 6 May 2020 09:34:02 701 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The storm boat is my new favourite track from the ost.
  • Pierre2k 6 May 2020 13:34:04 1,189 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've found the soundtrack fitting, and 'fine", but pretty forgettable to be honest. Great having the option for the old tunes so nothing to grumble about.

Agree with the point at the top of this page regarding when people quit an online game. Sure, you can restart at the beginning of the level, but if you're in the middle of the final boss, about to beat it, and the other player just quits when they die, it's pretty poor that you're completely booted. The stutter is also pretty bad. Had some decent games, but considering I'm on a pretty solid wired connection on XB1X on Virgin fibre, I'm probably a best case scenario. Far from ideal.

Still loving the game though. Played arcade mode last night and got to stage 7, with 4 lives, and had to switch it off as it was so late. Not a short game by any means (within the context of the genre).

Edited by Pierre2k at 13:35:04 06-05-2020
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 May 2020 13:44:59 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:
    I've found the soundtrack fitting, and 'fine", but pretty forgettable to be honest. Great having the option for the old tunes so nothing to grumble about.

Agree with the point at the top of this page regarding when people quit an online game. Sure, you can restart at the beginning of the level, but if you're in the middle of the final boss, about to beat it, and the other player just quits when they die, it's pretty poor that you're completely booted. The stutter is also pretty bad. Had some decent games, but considering I'm on a pretty solid wired connection on XB1X on Virgin fibre, I'm probably a best case scenario. Far from ideal.

Still loving the game though. Played arcade mode last night and got to stage 7, with 4 lives, and had to switch it off as it was so late. Not a short game by any means (within the context of the genre).
    Ah, so I did remember it correctly, although I misread Richy's response above. This happened to me on the final boss in the final level, so somewhat frustrating. Anyways, due to the lag I'm sticking to single player for now.

Regarding the music, I do prefer the new tracks - some of the tunes from 2 & 3 didn't gel with me at all especially back at the time, I found them too 'busy' and not very melodic... part of that has probably to do with the Mega Drive soundchip (the first still has the best soundtrack for me out of the original trilogy).

Specifically I can't get the track from the second level (early stage) out of my head, but the elevator music (ha) and the beach? one are also excellent.
  • JamboWayOh 6 May 2020 19:08:44 19,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeahhhhhh, SoR2 Max works really, really, really well in this.
  • richarddavies 6 May 2020 19:49:18 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've started playing around a bit more with other characters now I've finished it a few times. I like trying them out on the last level, see how far I get. SOR3 Axel is the latest I've unlocked and i didn't get too far with him.

And after about 4 or 5 playthroughs I've made my mind up that Barney (the cop with a taser) is the biggest bastard in the game. That dive grab across the screen, throw you to the ground and taze can fucking do one. I'm not sure what your supposed to do about it when he can move faster than your eyeballs can perceive light.
  • JamboWayOh 6 May 2020 19:54:48 19,306 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can only hypothesise that he mastered Gran Turismo 5 in order to become one with the light speed.
  • Load_2.0 6 May 2020 20:20:36 31,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really happy with this purchase. Always been a fan of side scrolling beat em ups and nabbed the Capcom Collection the other week but this obviously is a huge step up on those old titles.

I played the SoR originals and enjoyed them but was never a superfan, I actually preferred Super Double Dragon on the SNES.

This however has really captured the essence of what makes a fun game and it's great to put in a decent session or just a quick blast.
  • nickthegun 6 May 2020 22:11:49 81,739 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I like that it lets you dip in and out levels. I've just been snatching a couple of stages here and there with it.
  • bone-on 6 May 2020 22:52:32 539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The track ďOn fireĒ is just epic, Olivier Deriviere I salute you sir

Best in the game:

https://youtu.be/_M7PYnsYHrY

Edited by bone-on at 22:55:39 06-05-2020
  • richarddavies 6 May 2020 23:06:48 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Olivier is a boss. Love his tunes on the soundtrack. He's the standout for me. Storm boat, chow time, rising up and a few others are faves of mine and they're all his.
  • jonathanlealand 7 May 2020 00:46:21 45 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Is there a version of Dreamer in this game? Iíve yet to encounter...
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 May 2020 13:30:14 2,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finding Oliviers tracks the worst myself.
  • Dgzter 7 May 2020 13:49:33 3,209 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funky HQ is the jazzy one in the second section of the station.

The OST is on Spotify for those wanting a listen, btw.
  • AddyB- 7 May 2020 13:58:16 701 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Funky HQ is the jazzy one in the second section of the station.

The OST is on Spotify for those wanting a listen, btw.
    I have been listening to it daily :)
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 14:05:53 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Finding Oliviers tracks the worst myself.
    Slag.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 May 2020 17:12:25 2,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Itís those wanky shrillex baselines, for want of a better term. Also has the most tracks on the OST so bound to have the worst tracks
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 May 2020 17:16:16 2,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, you guys will be liking this

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/722MGJOjf9hDec36PJ0dTB?si=S27L90N8RNOe2tdJBBVmhQ‬
  • Dgzter 7 May 2020 17:29:03 3,209 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LOL Jesus fucking Christ: https://youtu.be/QuQoZsbEKhA
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 May 2020 17:37:15 2,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Erm, whatís that super move they use? Is that new?
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 17:52:23 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, all of the 2 and I think 3 characters have a new special move for the star attack.
  • kentmonkey 7 May 2020 22:02:05 23,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So. Just got to Max....

How do you break his grab move? Because he's just wiped out three lives by doing this move. I get in close after a move, hit him twice, the fucker grabs me and I lose about 1/4 of my health. Didn't even get him down to halfway on his energy bar.
  • Dgzter 7 May 2020 22:14:02 3,209 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey

This is exactly how I was struggling with him when I first got there (and that was on Normal). You can break the grab: I think I was spamming the Attack/Special buttons alternatively? But, whether I was just fucking up or not as it was my first play through, I really struggled to do it with Blaze but then breezed through it with Axel/Adam--literally breaking every one.

Sorry, not sure that's much help, but I definitely feel your pain.
  • kentmonkey 7 May 2020 22:16:15 23,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm playing as Blaze too.

He just utterly annihilated me.

And I've died about three times up until this point. But each time I've got relatively close to winning and understood what I needed to try next.But that was brutal. Not even close to beating him or understanding his rhythm.
  • Dgzter 7 May 2020 22:18:19 3,209 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, he's the boss I've struggled with most, especially with Blaze. He can be done though, bud. Keep at it.
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 22:31:36 7,660 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, he's not too bad really. As you say, just spam the buttons when he grabs and you can break free. And his charge up before some of his moves is so long you can fuck off and make a brew while its happening. Just get away while he's winding up. No need to rush just lay into him once his done his attack.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.