Following Streets of Rage 4 Page 21

• kentmonkey 7 May 2020 22:38:45 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Yeah, he's not too bad really. As you say, just spam the buttons when he grabs and you can break free. And his charge up before some of his moves is so long you can fuck off and make a brew while its happening. Just get away while he's winding up. No need to rush just lay into him once his done his attack.
    That's what I was doing. Unfortunately I'd only get 2-3 his in before the fucker would grab me out of nowhere and crush me.

I broke it once, no idea how. Mashed everything but no joy.

I think he only hit me once with another attack apart from that grab move as well.

I'll try again tomorrow but if anyone knows what buttons to press to get out of that move, I'd very much appreciate knowing! 😀
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 22:45:14 7,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry I'm crap at time stamping, but if you go to 1hrs 14mins it's the Max fight with Blaze. On hard as well.

https://youtu.be/AR04IDaEyVw

Edited by richarddavies at 22:59:52 07-05-2020
  • kentmonkey 7 May 2020 22:57:48 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @richarddavies you're also crap at putting the link in!! 😂
  • JamboWayOh 7 May 2020 22:59:02 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha!
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 23:00:25 7,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dont know what you're on about, it's right there *cough*
  • kentmonkey 7 May 2020 23:02:18 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @richarddavies thank you! 😀
  • kentmonkey 7 May 2020 23:04:22 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How do they break that grab.

Howwwwwwww!
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 May 2020 23:36:08 2,845 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do t get in it
  • waggy79 7 May 2020 23:52:53 2,230 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    How do they break that grab.

Howwwwwwww!
    The usual way (with the cops) is wiggle left and right on the stick. No button presses.
  • richarddavies 7 May 2020 23:58:16 7,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And I'll leave it tonight with this. An s rank on level 4 with 150 hit combo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XQ9EM-aqxdM
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 09:12:42 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I gave in to my inadequacy and dropped it to easy - at least I get to see the later levels now - made to 8.
  • StixxUK 8 May 2020 09:50:52 8,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Still waiting on that fix for the missing graphics settings on Game Pass version...
  • richarddavies 8 May 2020 10:06:39 7,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Still waiting on that fix for the missing graphics settings on Game Pass version...
    To be fair, I was a bit pissed at first when I realized the xbox version was missing those filters, but I bought the switch version and EG was bang on with what they said at the time. I turned them on, went "oh yeah, they're alright" then turned them off again.
  • StixxUK 8 May 2020 11:01:52 8,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @richarddavies I know it's not a big deal, just bugs me for some reason... Will probably switch them on and then off again, but at least I'll know I've got the option :D
  • beastmaster 8 May 2020 18:00:53 20,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What a fucking game! Dug out the Mad Catz TE2 fight stick and started playing it this morning on the PS4. There is something immensely satisfying about knocking down a cop with a shield, taking his nightstick and beating the living shit out of him! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Edited by beastmaster at 18:01:15 08-05-2020
  • kentmonkey 8 May 2020 23:00:50 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Max is dead! The key to him is to jump around so he can't grab you.

I then proceeded to finish the rest of the game, dying twice more. But not really having any other trouble on normal.

One of those two deaths was on the final boss. Had one more hit to make and I got caught. Replayed that level and smashed it, only just losing a single life as I went for the final three hits to finish it off and didn't really care what damage I took at that point.

Was an awesome feeling. Played the whole way through with Blaze. Going to try another character tomorrow I think.
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 May 2020 23:24:55 8,089 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you all beat'em up gods or what? I struggled on normal with countless continues. Tried Mania for a laugh, and didn't even get through the first level.
  • drhickman1983 8 May 2020 23:33:39 6,609 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not finding it a breeze at all, I'm getting better but I've yet to do a full clear on normal without having to use a continue somewhere along the line
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 May 2020 23:39:21 8,089 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did notice that something clicked along the way, and that I don't spam attack as often, and can link up some combos now and then. But am a long way away from beating this at Hard even. Am quite motivated to try though which is unusual for me with games these days - I normally just choose standard difficulty and be done with it.
  • richyroo 9 May 2020 08:23:58 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When I first started I struggled on normal. Now I can beat the hard setting relatively easily, I can get through most of the game without even losing a life. Now I play on the hardest setting and can get through to the last level, just need a couple more attempts to finish it.

It does really become easier the more you play. You learn where to position your character and which ones you should approach from an angle etc, this is the most important thing about the game.

I would say that something really clicked after the 25 hour mark, Iím now about 35 hours played.

Edited by richyroo at 08:26:31 09-05-2020
  • Spectral 9 May 2020 09:18:07 6,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Started on normal and man, I suck at these games way more than I remember doing back on the Mega Drive. Can't even get past level 2 so far, keep getting my arse kicked my the riot shield guys.
  • TechnoHippy 9 May 2020 09:24:42 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    Started on normal and man, I suck at these games way more than I remember doing back on the Mega Drive. Can't even get past level 2 so far, keep getting my arse kicked my the riot shield guys.
    I had the same issue, playing it on easy will at least allow you to see the rest of the game.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 09:27:07 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely not a beat em up god. Not really played much of them before.

I played and finished the original Streets Of Rage once.... Had Final Fight on my Amiga that was piss easy and I finished.... Never really "got" Double Dragon, and found Golden Axe to be too slow and basic so never played more than a few hours of that....

I think that's pretty much my beat em up background.

Loved this though, despite some weak points. I'm also sure the Xbox version has less of a combo timer than whatever system that person was in that video was linked to earlier in the page with the large combo. I literally got about .5 second before the combo meter stops. They had a lot longer it seems in-between landing punches.

I probably used 5-6 continues to finish the game on normal first time. Will try with Axel next.

Do wish it had a dash though.
  • simiankid 9 May 2020 09:44:43 652 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Holy crap this game has Nintendo-level attention to detail. Secret spoilers ahoy!

If you take a taser and use it to destroy the Bare Knuckle machines throughout the game, youíll be transported back to SoR2 to fight a boss and earn a bonus turkey or star

Just unlocked a couple of the SoR2 characters and they are stupid powerful
  • Zerobob 9 May 2020 10:01:24 2,413 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been through the story twice on normal, first time with Axel and the second time with Blaze. My first run with Axel was a struggle and I used a lot of continues, but my second playthrough with Blaze was a lot easier and I only used 2 continues and got a fair few "B" ranks.

Obviously I knew what to expect second time around, but Blaze is a more forgiving character than Axel, as she moves around the screen faster and her combos are simply better and end up doing more damage.

This is a difficult game on normal, and anyone who says otherwise must be being a little liberal with the truth if they're referring to their first playthrough.

Also worth keeping in mind, the game appears to be a lot easier in co-op, with enemy counts being identical. In single player, have you noticed the excessive amounts of health items? Yeah, the game hasn't been adjusted at all for single player.

Another tip, don't approach enemies head-on. Approaching head-on always leaves you open to cheap unblockable attacks. Enemies are always looking to execute these attacks, so don't let them.

Keep jumping around with Evil Max, keeping your distance from him most of the time. Go in with flying kicks and the occasional short combo when you can, although this always comes with some risk. Luckily I discovered this tactic on my third try, after suddenly remembering the video game trope of not getting too close to "wrestler" characters.

Riot shield guys - You can throw things at them to weaken their shield, before attacking, but I personally just jump in and try and get in a quick flurry of punches to break their shield.

Knife guys - I've no idea. They destroyed me in SoR 2 and they continue to take full health bars off me to this very day. I was half expecting the final boss to be a giant knife guy.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 10:24:41 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Zerobob

"This is a difficult game on normal, and anyone who says otherwise must be being a little liberal with the truth if they're referring to their first playthrough."

Without trying to sound like a cnut... Or they're just better than you at it?

As someone who found it relatively easy, other than Max (who I still only needed two attempts at), and only used six continues throughout the story (which I think is pretty low for first go, but others may think otherwise) and who doesn't even play this genre, I can see how it would be even easier for someone else who plays this genre regularly.

For me, it was that the patterns were very easy to see. Other than Max. Otherwise, even the final boss, attack patterns were very clear to see and find a counter to. With the final boss even having a location where you could continually hit "it" and not have to move for about 20s.

Only people I had difficulty with (i.e. died) was the Monk type character, the police woman (first phase) and Max. And I stupidly got thrown off a roof once and died because I stayed too near the edge.

I didn't get particularly great grades though. I think 1x D, 1x B and the rest were C's.

Edited by kentmonkey at 10:28:45 09-05-2020
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 10:27:46 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Knife guys you just jump in and kick them. Then concentrate on them before they draw another knife.

Usually can be taken down in 2-3 combos I found, some less, and if you pretty much ignore everyone else, they're not a threat.

If there's more than 2x just stay airborne. They're not a risk then.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 10:34:05 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With riot shield guys just you use your defensive special when they go for the truncheon attack which has a super slow wind up. It makes you invincible and you'll get health back as you attack them.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 10:40:48 23,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I never used that. I didn't even use the special offensive much until the end. I definitely want to try that more in the second playthrough as I think that will open up a lot more options.

I just kept forgetting they existed.

Edited by kentmonkey at 10:41:08 09-05-2020
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 10:46:11 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's essentially your friend, and you start figuring out what things give you invincibility. Like throwing people just before someone comes to hit you. I don't use ground based offensive specials, I found it safer to use the offensive special in the air which you can lead into a combo quite easily. Or using the jumping downattack to stun and then adding the offensive special before you land.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.