Following Streets of Rage 4 Page 22

• Mola_Ram 9 May 2020 10:51:44 23,501 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being able to get back your health when you use a panic move is a pretty big deal. It's taken me ages to get used to it.
  • Zerobob 9 May 2020 10:54:43 2,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey Judging by your previous posts, you didn't find it relatively easy. I didn't get stuck on Max, for example, and the final boss only took me a few tries with Axel. Also, as I said, I think the game is noticeably easier with Blaze.

Yes, you can always say "they're just better than you" which I gladly accept, but there are a lot of unknowns in the game that must be learned, such as how to deal with certain enemy types, and understanding attack patterns. The game is far from easy until you know these things, which is why I don't think anyone breezed through the game quite as easily as they're suggesting on previous pages.

I was joking about the knife guys.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 11:27:45 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've not read the other posts but I've only made posts about Max. I think using four continues for the rest of the game is making it relatively easy, personally. Especially as I'm not a general is the genre.

While I can appreciate where some are struggling, especially if you're not particularly strong at quickly spotting patterns in games, I can definitely see that some who play this genre a lot would find it even easier than me on their first go.

In short, if I can six continue it first go, I can see others being much better than me and don't it in less than that on their first go, especially if they're side scrolling beat em up generals.
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 May 2020 11:41:38 8,089 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I must've used dozens of continues (but played without assists until I got to the final stage) before completing story mode on normal. The second level took me a long time but once I figured out the shield guys it got easier. I must be particularly poor with spotting attack patterns which would explain not overcoming the bosses easily, those usually cost me a fair bit of health and lives. And I also switched between characters a lot maybe that way I didn't learn their strengths and weaknesses as well.

Big But though... I can really sense the learning curve and me getting better, which is exactly what I want from a game like this.

I want to play around with level select more and improve my ratings (only C and D so far, maybe one B). Lots of replay value that's for sure.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 11:51:43 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll sounds like you got the same scores as me pretty much.

I work with data, so used to looking out for patterns. Perhaps that's why I see them more (albeit different types, I guess it's in my nature to look for them regardless).

I generally found the bosses easier than the normal level sections, as there was less for my brain to have to comprehend and I could concentrate on what was happening.

I tend to zone out playing as well. Genuinely couldn't tell you what the music was like, but having played the playlist on YouTube it's great. Genuinely don't remember hearing any of it in the game though.
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 May 2020 11:57:44 8,089 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kentmonkey am also of an analytical mindset but maybe I didn't give the game enough credit to look for patterns. I used to play the original games spamming attacks etc and I did complete them (tried 1 recently and didn't make it far).

I can't understate how good a -game- this really is. Quite interesting that this wasn't on my radar at all but ended up buying on launch and very happy with my purchase. It's close to perfection to me the only bummer is the MP lag which I hope they fix soon.
  • Zerobob 9 May 2020 12:08:28 2,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I generally found the bosses easier than the normal level sections, as there was less for my brain to have to comprehend and I could concentrate on what was happening.
    I totally agree. Until the bosses are in their death throes - and dealing out cheap attacks left, right, and centre - none of them are really that problematic.

The difficult sections are where you get crowded from both sides, or you're taking on 5 enemies at once and a sixth comes flying across the screen with an unblockable attack, or you're clusterfucked by an inescapable spread of bombs.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 12:19:38 18,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Barbon with the biker chicks is a clusterfuck.
  • drhickman1983 9 May 2020 12:22:36 6,609 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find Barbon a lot easier if you try to take the fight away from the bikes. The bikers only spawn if you fuck their bikes up. It's hard not to get any though.

As far as the special moves go, I find myself refraining from using them because usually I end up losing the health. Hopefully I'll get more confident in using them, but at the moment I just want to get the basics down before doing flashy shit. Use the blitz moves extensively though

Edited by drhickman1983 at 12:25:13 09-05-2020
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 12:23:03 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I struggled most with the monks. Always seemed to trigger their 'hand parry and thousand hand slap you" move whenever I tried to hit them. I thought they were quite cheap, but we all seem to be struggling more in with different types of enemy. So I'm guessing others found a trick I didn't.

Towards the end I worked out to keep approaching them from the side, back away, approach again, back away and then approach and hit was the only way I could take them down. Was a painfully slow way of doing it though.
  • DownwardSpiral 9 May 2020 12:23:28 604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I find Barbon a lot easier if you try to take the fight away from the bikes. The bikers only spawn if you fuck their bikes up. It's hard not to get any though.
    I did not realise they spawned due to that.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 12:24:39 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Me too. First thing I did was destroy the bikes to get the health/stars.

Whoops. Wondered why I was getting over run
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 12:24:49 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 12:25:24 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry, double post
  • drhickman1983 9 May 2020 12:28:47 6,609 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I struggled most with the monks. Always seemed to trigger their 'hand parry and thousand hand slap you" move whenever I tried to hit them. I thought they were quite cheap, but we all seem to be struggling more in with different types of enemy. So I'm guessing others found a trick I didn't.

Towards the end I worked out to keep approaching them from the side, back away, approach again, back away and then approach and hit was the only way I could take them down. Was a painfully slow way of doing it though.
    Is that the Judo guys? I've found grappling works well, approach from an angle, grab and do a quick grapple combo and throw - they break grapple quickly but if you are quick it seems to work well.
  • MrAGSystems 9 May 2020 12:35:25 835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Zerobob

Knife guys are toast if you hit them with your normal jumping neutral attack (this actually applied to SoR2, especially with Axel because it's a two hit. I've in that game).
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 12:40:23 18,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:

Is that the Judo guys? I've found grappling works well, approach from an angle, grab and do a quick grapple combo and throw - they break grapple quickly but if you are quick it seems to work well.
    Yeah just throw them, over and over. Max does especially well in decimating their life bar.
  • Zerobob 9 May 2020 13:11:55 2,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    AddyB_ wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Me too. First thing I did was destroy the bikes to get the health/stars.

Whoops. Wondered why I was getting over run
    I didn't realise this either! I didn't even realise they were meant to be bikers, just thought they were the "butch lesbian" enemy type.

Whilst we're on the subject, why are all the vehicles in the game twice as big as they should be?
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 13:43:06 18,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think this game is centred on realism mate.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 13:45:32 23,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I tried throwing but couldn't get that down. I'll try it again next playthrough. And yes, Judo. Not monks! 😀

I also thought that the bikers were '80s throwback butch lesbians'. They did feel a little out of place but just thought they were trying to stick to the 80s vibe. Whoops
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 May 2020 13:51:02 8,089 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Heh, me neither. Love the details like that - and while I realise that it's not all that unusual in terms of mechanics in modern games it's still neat all the same.
  • richarddavies 9 May 2020 14:04:00 7,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying hardest difficulty for the first time and I'm using Floyd. Only on level 4/pier and I've scraped through by the skin of my teeth up to now. I was one punch away from getting ko'd by the commissioner. Not used a continue (yet) though.
  • DownwardSpiral 9 May 2020 14:37:50 604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Judo guys are easy if you just slam the bastards.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 May 2020 14:41:32 12,611 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The judo guys are easy if you fend off their attacks with a bread bin lid while shouting racial epithets.
  • DownwardSpiral 9 May 2020 14:52:06 604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    The judo guys are easy if you fend off their attacks with a bread bin lid while shouting racial epithets.
    Glol
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 9 May 2020 16:34:18 2,845 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Switch version of this is the first game Iíve seen that supports game invites
  • Zerobob 9 May 2020 16:39:21 2,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I don't think this game is centred on realism mate.
    Yeah agreed, but I think it should still be centered on the SoR series.

SoR 2 had dirt bikers who rode bikes of the correct scale. Not sure why they didn't do the same in SoR 4, if the suggestion is that the butch lesbians ride the bikes.

Thinking about it, aside from the car crash at the beginning (and the special move car) I can't recall any moving vehicles in SoR 4, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 18:19:59 18,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THE TRAIN
  • MrAGSystems 9 May 2020 18:26:35 835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    THE PLANE
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2020 18:27:35 18,736 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No automobiles.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.