Following Streets of Rage 4 Page 23

Next Last
  • beastmaster 9 May 2020 20:05:27 20,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just did 6 hours straight. I’m crap though and I end up getting max health and stars on the restart screen. Keep changing the characters too. But this game is so much fun.
  • kentmonkey 9 May 2020 22:27:26 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just replayed first four levels with Axel tonight.

Nowhere near as fun as Blaze. Breezed through the first three levels (got hit twice in the first level only, which was annoying. Think there's a trophy for not getting hit as well) but was getting really bored with him come the fourth level and gave up. It's also my least favourite level of the game.

Will try the others out tomorrow but found Blaze a much more interesting character to play as compared to Axel and glad I started with her.

I do have SoR1 Axel unlocked so will give him a go as well.
  • richyroo 10 May 2020 20:09:11 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Just replayed first four levels with Axel tonight.

Nowhere near as fun as Blaze. Breezed through the first three levels (got hit twice in the first level only, which was annoying. Think there's a trophy for not getting hit as well) but was getting really bored with him come the fourth level and gave up. It's also my least favourite level of the game.

Will try the others out tomorrow but found Blaze a much more interesting character to play as compared to Axel and glad I started with her.

I do have SoR1 Axel unlocked so will give him a go as well.
    SOR1 Axel is a beast. Got my first S rank with him.
  • kentmonkey 10 May 2020 20:10:07 23,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @richyroo Thanks, good to hear. Will defo give him a go....although not holding up much hope for a S rank! :)

Highest for me thus far is 2x paltry Bs.
  • up_the_ante 13 May 2020 02:21:12 1,287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was just thinking how awesome a Streets of Rage game on the Saturn would have looked, what with it being a 2D powerhouse and all that. So I was researching why one never appeared on the Saturn. Basically those were the days when everything had to be converted to crude 3D no matter how bad it looked and played. 3D was the future. It's a shame because imagine how great it could have looked in 2D with massive sprites and millions of colours.

I couldn't find any Saturn footage, but here's a Dreamcast demo (that also got dropped)

• spookyxelectric 13 May 2020 02:43:29 37 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I believe Fighting Force was pitched as a Streets of Rage 4 for Saturn. When the pitch was turned down by Sega, they made it its own IP and released it on the PS1 and N64 instead, with no Saturn port available. In retrospect, the lack of a Saturn port was probably out of spite, as the Saturn only ever got the first Tomb Raider, despite the franchise's origins as an intended Saturn exclusive.

But yeah, a 2D sprite based Streets of Rage on the Saturn would've been ace. It'd look similar to the Final Fight arcade, but it'd play much faster.

Also, on topic, I bought Streets of Rage 4 earlier today and it is greeeeeeeeeat. Beautiful artwork, great soundtrack, punchy combat, responsive controls. It's everything I hoped it would be.
  • drhickman1983 13 May 2020 08:06:25 6,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently getting annoyed by the Ruby's. Just haven't worked out a decent way to counter their jump kick consistently, feels like I'm missing something obvious. Might just be a timing thing on my part.

They're not even a late game enemy :p
  • MrAGSystems 13 May 2020 08:55:17 835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    SoR on Saturn with a similar style to Guardian Heroes would've been saucy.
  • Rhaegyr 18 May 2020 09:14:11 5,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought this over the weekend - it really is excellent.

It basically plays like SOR2 (from an Axel perspective, anyway) with a couple of small tweaks that make a big difference (ability to juggle, enemies bouncing off the edge of the screen back into the middle and Bloodborne-style recovery for using special moves). Art and music are both great and while the music may not match up to the original (what can?) there are some great tunes in there.

Couldn't have asked for much more, brilliant stuff.
  • richyroo 18 May 2020 11:24:52 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Steam tells me that I have put in 59hrs into this game already. I think I am addicted.

This is my game of the year so far.
  • Rhaegyr 18 May 2020 11:27:17 5,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The one level (I think after you beat the Judo guy) where it throws a ton of regular enemies at you was absolute heaven, especially with the ability to partially juggle them.
  • richyroo 18 May 2020 11:35:32 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The one level (I think after you beat the Judo guy) where it throws a ton of regular enemies at you was absolute heaven, especially with the ability to partially juggle them.
    Was that the Dojo room on the Chinatown stage, with the millions of weapons on the floor? That is one of the trickiest sections in the whole game where things can go horribly wrong if you're not careful.
  • Rhaegyr 18 May 2020 11:45:56 5,038 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly right!

Luckily me and my brother started punching like crazy and managed to keep a lid on it - he warned me that during his solo playthrough this part absolutely hammered him.
  • richyroo 18 May 2020 11:54:09 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Exactly right!

Luckily me and my brother started punching like crazy and managed to keep a lid on it - he warned me that during his solo playthrough this part absolutely hammered him.
    The enemies all jump in from the same spot at either end of the stage. The trick is to have 1 person at each end standing in the right spot where you can just punch them as they come in. You need to time the punches right and you can deal with multiple enemies at a time. If you have one of those long weapons too, then this seriously helps.
  • beastmaster 25 May 2020 13:26:57 20,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Developers have confirmed that they are currently working on three other “similar” titles.

Golden Axe is probably one of them. Would like to see them tackle Shadow Warriors as I loved that game on the C64.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:27:13 25-05-2020
  • nickthegun 25 May 2020 13:45:31 81,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shadow Warriors was actually the first Ninja Gaiden game, so there have been plenty of follow ups to that.
  • Mola_Ram 25 May 2020 13:48:12 23,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They could remake Shadow Gangs.
  • TechnoHippy 25 May 2020 13:58:07 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    They could remake Shadow Gangs.
    I don't think they could afford the license :-)
  • JamboWayOh 25 May 2020 14:02:27 18,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine getting the image rights to Freddie Mercury was the biggest cost to development.
  • TechnoHippy 25 May 2020 18:58:59 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Queen - The Musical - The Fighting Game.

Although I do remember trying to convince work we should license Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds for a game. Sadly they didn't go for it.
  • Load_2.0 25 May 2020 19:14:39 31,354 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja could be ripe for a new version.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.