Firewall: Zero Hour Page 7

• AboutHalfaStevas 7 Sep 2018 11:27:08 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We were thinking of ideas about that sort of thing (while waiting for matchmaking), and a couple I liked were a) the XP gained depends on the ratio of your level to whoever you killed, and b) if the levels of those involved match up, you can just click "fine, I'm okay with this, even tho the numbers aren't right" so, say, two level 20 rambos can take on four level 10 noobs. There were loads of other ideas I can't recall.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 11:34:54 07-09-2018
  • AboutHalfaStevas 7 Sep 2018 11:34:22 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    What sort of time? I'm gonna be on after the buy has gone to bed about 7:30
    Waaaaaaaaay too early for me. Earliest I'm appearing is about half 9.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 7 Sep 2018 11:46:12 1,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not a problem, I'll just go for a beer and pop on about then.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 8 Sep 2018 12:22:11 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game keeps giving me wtf, that was amazing moments.

It was down to me vs one dude, and he comes around the corner at close range, immediately my brain goes "CHIV THE FUCKER, THERE'S A TROPHY" so I start chasing: cue a bit of CQC - which really needed the Benny hill music over the top - as we both ran around in tight circles, blades flashing.
    Eventually I just went "yeah... Fuck this" and just shot him.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Sep 2018 14:08:24 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really good games last night. Thanks to Moon for being so patient and helping set up the in-game that.

That needs fixing pronto.
  • Reacher 9 Sep 2018 18:26:28 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up. Been playing the tutorials to get used to the pace. Been having a few issues with drift but enjoying the game a lot.

I'm on Willbert07 for those who fancy me flailing around in the general direction of bad guys at any point.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2018 18:28:45 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Playing in a fairly dark room and putting the camera somewhere where its looking down on you helped me greatly with drift.
  • Reacher 9 Sep 2018 18:32:37 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Playing in a fairly dark room and putting the camera somewhere where its looking down on you helped me greatly with drift.
  • arty 9 Sep 2018 19:55:30 381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It occurred to me that if your camera is low and you hold the gun high up to your headset, there is a chance that the aim controller could obscure the helmet lights and you might get some drift? I've not really had any real issues myself though.
  • 1Dgaf 11 Sep 2018 13:26:51 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the proximity chat in the game, both for hearing people's voices recede and listening to enemies.

However - might it best to stick to PS parties even while playing, so players looking for games can hop in and out of them?
  • AboutHalfaStevas 11 Sep 2018 13:57:33 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Drift was just insane for me last night. To the point where I was just ready to call it quits. I'm starting to think it's somehow related to the others you're in a game with, because a) it's so random, and b) you don't seem to get it if you just fuck about on your own (solo). WHICH IS GREAT FUN TRYING TO TROUBLESHOOT, AINT IT.

Also, we're getting to the point where everyone is more likely to be squaded up, which means there are way less random singles about to fill the gaps. Plus, it's clearly not capable of doing anything more than that ("oh, we have a full squad over here, with one opponent... And another squad over here with one opponent.... Well, let's just wait for six more randoms to appear, then.")
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Sep 2018 14:12:36 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I imagine a lot of people are playing Spider-Man as well which has thinned the numbers. I'm itching to get back on it once I'm done with it.
  • 1Dgaf 11 Sep 2018 17:45:54 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here's my suggestion -

Everyone that has the game starts a PS party when they get online. They stay in that party even when playing - whatever game they play.

When people come up on that want to play, they can hop between parties trying to find a spot.

I'd swap ease of finding games for in-game voice comms.

But this all falls apart if we slink off in-game parties.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 17:47:13 11-09-2018

Edited by 1Dgaf at 17:47:40 11-09-2018
  • Reacher 11 Sep 2018 19:19:48 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm waiting for a new ethernet cable before I can team properly, as my wireless just isn't good enough to carry a session. Should be here by the weekend

Edited by Reacher at 19:19:54 11-09-2018
  • TheRealBadabing 11 Sep 2018 19:30:55 1,814 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @1Dgaf That works if we can always get a 4-man team together. Unfortunately if we join a game with fewer then we end up unable to hear our non-party team-mates.

Maybe it could work if we all met up at an exact time once or twice a week but only if exactly four people turned up and played for exactly the same amount of time.

I suppose we have to accept PSN is still pretty shoddy to this day. The party system is un-intuitive and inflexible when compared to Live, but then there is no VR on XBox so rough with the smooth and all that...
  • 1Dgaf 11 Sep 2018 23:42:26 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing

Hmm.

How about if you're *not* in a PS part, it's assumed you're playing with randoms and will want an invite when someone turns up the PS party wanting to squad up?

"IDgaf isn't in a party - must be with randoms. Let's stay in the PS party and invite him in. He'll know there's a squad waiting."

Edited by 1Dgaf at 23:43:21 11-09-2018
  • TheRealBadabing 12 Sep 2018 00:57:23 1,814 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The way it has been working so far in Firewall is people invite/are invited to an in-game squad using their friends list. Completely bypasses the PSN party system but as comms are important even with non-friends it works for this game.

Unfortunately, once matches have started, unless the host is willing to drop back to the lobby (unlikely if a game is at 7/8 players) it can be tricky to get an invite out in time before a random fills the free slot.

Best results for me have been when I look at my friends list and hit the join session button. If that doesn't work, a quick message then some random games until an invite pops. Frustrating if a spot doesn't open up but it would only be because of the reasons above.

Sadly the party system in PSN is too basic to work as a lobby in the same way as Live.
  • 1Dgaf 12 Sep 2018 01:05:11 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been joining sessions too, but as you say it's frustrating. Doubly me for me as there's nothing I want to play on PS4 apart from Firewall. I'm normally on my Xbox.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 12 Sep 2018 11:06:04 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I was gonna jump on this last night, but...

It suddenly feels like an effort to get into due to the drift and tracking issues.

Oh, and the lobby matchmaking ones too.

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 11:06:56 12-09-2018

Edited by AboutHalfaStevas at 11:08:19 12-09-2018
  • 1Dgaf 12 Sep 2018 16:26:38 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hang in there Stevas. I don't think I'll be around tonight, but I've persuaded a friend to buy this (I think). Our numbers will swell.
  • Reacher 12 Sep 2018 18:24:27 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @1Dgaf I'll be available on Friday and Saturday night once my cable arrives,to help with numbers and to be shot at.
  • TheRealBadabing 12 Sep 2018 19:33:09 1,814 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas Meh, man up you big scouser (I went there). Drift is only an issue after a few hours when batteries are fading and we haven't re-calibrated for a while.

Quite why it's an issue is beyond our mortal ken but we can work with it you big jessie.

And I say all this in the style of an intervention. We love you man!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2018 20:47:15 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He's a what!

This changes everything.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 12 Sep 2018 20:56:23 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've never been so fucking insulted in my life.
    While being hit on (I think).
    How very dare you. (Yeah, okay, I might be on in a bit.)
  • 1Dgaf 13 Sep 2018 01:24:02 5,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Reacher Good stuff. I know my Friday and weekend is full of stuff that requires early starts, but if I can get on I will.
  • Decap 13 Sep 2018 08:16:02 142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just bought the VR headset, aim-controller and this. Had never even tried the thing but as a R6 player it just looked way too cool to pass. :)

Haven't played any online yet but my first impressions that it truly is cool. I just wish that this had a training mode where you could shoot freely on a gun range and move around. I am having some problems with adjusting to the aim, I often "lose" the red dot and end up just pointing and spraying before I find it again. Any of you suffer from this?

I think it's mainly because I have quite a bit of background with irl-guns so my muscle-memory kicks in, but you can't really utilize this the same way. You need to hold the gun lower and since you don't have it against your shoulder it's a lot more "loose".
    What helped me a little is when the game starts, I hold the gun far and hold the options to calibrate, then pull the controller and hold it close to my body. Idk, need to train a bit and adjust but it definitely is a cool game.

Hope they patch the matchmaking soon that it seems to suffer from atm. And add option to play multiple rounds in a session.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 13 Sep 2018 10:11:53 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I believe you are referring to the infamous "nipple" aiming problem (the gun in-game is virtually quite a bit lower than elsewhere; I'd suggest it's so the camera's view of your headset ain't obscured by the aim).

You won't find anything to moan about we ain't already moaned about (usually while in a lobby, waiting). Or, for that matter, already come up with a developer fix for (usually in the same lobby; we were initially somewhat bemused they didn't beta test this, at first, but then we remembered: that's essentially what we're doing already - we just paid for the privilege, innit).
    Having said that, when it works - and some nights it just does (gnnnnn, seemingly fucking randomly; like just last night, for me) - it's the best fun you'll have gaming since... forever? Yeah. Pretty much. It's the future. And even in the future, we all still gotta shoot each other in the fucking face, over and over and over (but hey, no jumping, not in this game; while I'm here, fuck jumping - there, I said it).

There's a few of us here regularly on it, if you don't want to go in too blind (maybe this could go in the first post now):

S_T_E_V_A_S
    Deckard2014
    Hatchet_Job
    HoriZom
    I_Leak_Oil
    Thats-No-Moon-
    Whizzo

(I believe that's everyone who I added from this thread, if I missed anyone: sound off, soldier.)
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 13 Sep 2018 12:04:12 1,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Missed me! Not that I've managed to play with you guys. Invites always welcome.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 13 Sep 2018 12:16:25 934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't notice your PSN, wait, are just... That? Cos I was looking for anyone who'd said something like "here's my PSN"...
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 13 Sep 2018 12:40:19 1,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oh, mines CrispyXUK :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.