The Nintendo Switch eShop Recommendation Thread Page 3

• richyroo 1 Sep 2018 13:27:48 303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great thread. Anyway, my contributions...

RECOMMENDED:
    Steamworld Dig 2 (Possibly my fav game on the eshop)
    Axiom Verge
    Celeste
    Hollow Knight
    Wonder Boy; The Dragons Trap (Charming remaster of the original)

NOT RECOMMENDED
    Golf Story (Far too long. I enjoy the golf, but theres too much talking)
    Owlboy (Over-rated. Boring to traverse as you are flying everywhere, loses steam at the end. Never completed)
  • minky-kong 1 Sep 2018 13:29:17 14,099 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Slight problem is something like Gorogoa (which is great) is never going to do that well as not many people have played it.
    Also it's about half the price on mobile and arguably suits that platform better.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 1 Sep 2018 13:38:41 8,232 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dare I say it, is it worth arranging the list by total goodness, or failing that game name. Anything but alphabetically by genre really :)
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2018 13:45:39 14,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Slight problem is something like Gorogoa (which is great) is never going to do that well as not many people have played it.
    Also it's about half the price on mobile and arguably suits that platform better.
    True but the point was there are likely to be hidden gems that only 1 or 2 play which can only ever get 1 or 2 points.

Gorgoroa was just the example I used as it is the rarest game I have up voted.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2018 13:47:29 14,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

Too easy if you have played a Picross game previously. If not go for it.
  • darrenb 1 Sep 2018 13:52:58 984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    Great thread. Anyway, my contributions...

RECOMMENDED:
    Steamworld Dig 2 (Possibly my fav game on the eshop)
    Axiom Verge
    Celeste
    Hollow Knight
    Wonder Boy; The Dragons Trap (Charming remaster of the original)

NOT RECOMMENDED
    Golf Story (Far too long. I enjoy the golf, but theres too much talking)
    Owlboy (Over-rated. Boring to traverse as you are flying everywhere, loses steam at the end. Never completed)
    Totally agree with your not recommended... Golfstory, didn't get going at all for me, too much reading than playing. And owl boy, firstly it was ok, but flying everywhere took pretty much all the challenge out of it, got bored and never played again.

Edited by darrenb at 13:53:42 01-09-2018
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Sep 2018 13:56:04 5,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Fair enough. Ill make the change either tonight or tomorrow!
  • Duffking 1 Sep 2018 14:07:05 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can I just bulk upvote then? Here's my +1s:

Enter the Gungeon (it's better than Isaac, for me. But be warned that the Switch version has performance issues when it gets busy. It's also significantly harder than Isaac so you're less likely to get carried through by RNG)
    Iconoclasts (This is a really nice semi-metroidvania with great boss battles by the way, seems to have flown under a lot of people's radar. The writing is... iffy, though.)
    Binding of Isaac (Not as good as EtG, but much more replayable. You can get hundreds of hours out of this.
    Celeste (It's one of the best ever 2d platformers. Tons of content as well.)
    Dead Cells (Great game, but be warned the Switch version has a lot of performance issues. Still playable though.)
    Hollow Knight (Really one of the best Metroidvanias ever.)
    N++ (Endless high quality platforming you can dip into easily.)
    Shovel Knight (Probably the best retro platformer there is. Looks and sounds great, plays great. Plague Knight's not great but Spectre Knight is 10/10.)
    Sonic Mania (The best Sonic game.)
    Steamworld Dig 2 (Another good Metroidvania that builds really nicely on the predecessor and is surprisngly lengthy.)
    Lumines (Really, really easy to get lost in this game for hours at a time in my experience. And easy to pick up and play as well.)
    Puyo Puyo Tetris (One of the best Tetris games, and Puyo games. And has a ton of content as well in terms of unlockable skins etc.)
    Darkest Dungeon (Really challenging and atmospheric but will last you an age and is really good fun.)
    Paladins (Surprisingly great and the better of the free shooters on Switch. I got bored of Fortnite reasonably quickly as every match is the same. Paladins gets better as once you're a higher level, the matches get more interesting as people know their roles/characters better).
    Into the Breach (Great roguelike and the best strategy game on Switch.)
    Stardew Valley (Ideal relaxing game. Great timesink.)
    Steamworld Heist (Second best strategy game on Switch. Full of character as well.)

Here's my -1s:

Golf Story (It's ok but generally I thought it was all a bit boring - something about it just doesn't click and the golf just doesn't play that well. And the controls are fiddly. The writing goes from amusing to just annoyingly verbose as well at random.)
    Axiom Verge (It's actually passable for the first 2/3rds, if thoroughly uninspired. The final 3rd however, is one of the most hateful gaming experiences I've ever had. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.)
    Mummy Demastered (It's like an entire game of Axiom Verge's first 2/3rds. Which would again be OK, but this for some reason runs like crap on the Switch. Avoid.)
    Fast RMX (It scratches the F-Zero itch for about 30 minutes as it looks great and handles well. Unfortunately it's completely ruined by what is the worst AI in any racing video game ever. It cheats beyond blatantly and just makes the game a miserable experience. Several tracks also have RNG instakill obstacles that set you back miles, while the AI just carries on immediately if they hit them. Lame.)
    I Am Setsuna (It's just stunningly bland.)
    Owlboy (I almost fell into a coma playing this. It's basically 8 hours of thinking "so... when does the game start?" and then it ends. The narrative is frustrating and the game refuses to anything interesting with its mechanics. It's linear, easy and boring.)

Edited by Duffking at 14:12:20 01-09-2018
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2018 14:22:15 14,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Owl boy and golf story seem to be getting a bit of a battering.
  • monkman76 1 Sep 2018 15:23:50 13,912 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ITB the best strategy game on Switch? Better than Mario + Rabbids? Gasp
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Sep 2018 16:35:23 14,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking forward to ITB. It is on my short list (along with Celeste, Octopath, Yoku and Minit).
  • minky-kong 1 Sep 2018 19:12:11 14,099 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Unfairly in Golf Story's case, it's enjoyable stuff (apart from the disc golf).
  • jimnastics 2 Sep 2018 08:08:56 1,498 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    + however many I can + for Thimbleweed Park, absolutely loved it. Since completing it a few weeks ago I've had that hollow feeling that makes starting a new game really hard :/ Really hope there will be a TP2.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Sep 2018 09:54:45 5,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Will update the list tonight if I can. Been a bit busy this weekend!
  • Mola_Ram 2 Sep 2018 10:19:31 19,081 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Eh, they're very different games. ITB (so far) is very very moreish and perfect for a quick play, but it's not XCOM-esque like Mario + Rabbids is.

Mario + Rabbids is also rather less stressful, more forgiving of mistakes. So it depends on what you like, I suppose!
  • monkman76 2 Sep 2018 11:45:29 13,912 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Eh, they're very different games. ITB (so far) is very very moreish and perfect for a quick play, but it's not XCOM-esque like Mario + Rabbids is.

Mario + Rabbids is also rather less stressful, more forgiving of mistakes. So it depends on what you like, I suppose!
    Where does Darkest Dungeon fit in the mix then? Another one on my list :)
  • macmurphy 2 Sep 2018 12:29:15 3,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Unfairly in Golf Story's case, it's enjoyable stuff (apart from the disc golf).
    Golf Story seems oddly polarising. Was a huge eshop highlight for me, I loved it.
  • SnackPlissken 2 Sep 2018 13:23:18 607 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Iím liking Into the Breach, but itís very unforgiving especially at the start. Like it seems designed for you to fail multiple times in order to gain upgrades, and learn better tactics. Kind of like when I played FTL..
  • Tomo 2 Sep 2018 13:51:56 16,251 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    +++++ Into The Breach

Just got it and lost 2 hours to it instantly! Absolutely lovely. So moreish. Might revise this slightly excited response further down the line but it's only 6 quid on South Africa store. Get it.
  • Duffking 2 Sep 2018 13:59:21 15,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SnackPlissken bear in mind you can't really take upgrades from one run to the next besides one surviving pilot, so for the most part it's just learning to execute/figure out options better.

One thing I'd say is that the starting squad are distinctly average and rather weak in the late game IMO, while stuff like Rusting Hulks are strong throughout. Some squads get really fucked early on like Blitzkrieg but are insanely powerful late game.

One thing is that I'd argue grid doesn't matter early game and you should focus on 100% objective completion on the first island instead since you can just pick up 2 free grid power as a result anyway plus you get far more rep to spend. You only lose grid one at a time early on and it only matters when you run out altogether. It's late game you want to avoid grid damage and where mech upgrades become less important.

Getting ahead of the power curve early on makes it easier to re-acquire grid later on while still picking up rep points in the process. This is instead of having to sacrifice rep points to protect grid early on, and therfore making it both harder for yourself to complete objectives and gain grid later on as you also couldn't get ahead of the power curve earlier.

Edited by Duffking at 14:04:22 02-09-2018
  • Murbs 2 Sep 2018 14:14:44 24,125 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Top 5 eshop games for me (though if you ask me tomorrow you might get a different answer)

Dead Cells
    Into the Breach
    Stardew valley
    Lumines
    Binding of Isaac
  • Mola_Ram 2 Sep 2018 14:39:04 19,081 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Crap. Ran into a bug on the Switch version of ITB. I tried to donate a useless weapon, but the game decided that I wanted to donate my best weapon instead! Which means that playthrough was basically ruined. :(
  • Mola_Ram 2 Sep 2018 14:40:43 19,081 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:

Where does Darkest Dungeon fit in the mix then? Another one on my list :)
    It is very firmly on the "high stress" side of the fence. It's an amazing game, but you need to be OK with... failure. :)
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Sep 2018 18:33:05 5,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Right! The list has been updated (and organised alphabetically by name). I should point out that for any folk who have tried voting twice for the same game, or "++" voting for a game, I've only counted one vote. I know we all have our personal faves, but we're just trying to determine the games that we'd all collectively recommend to others (and each other), rather than determine which games were the best of the best. I'd be tempted to stick a hundred upvotes on Fez or Spelunky (if they ever get released), but that would be slightly unfair. :)

Cheers again for all the votes and the quotes! Snake Pass, Golf Story and Owlboy are potentially under threat on this list. I might use the second and third pages of this document to compile marmite games and unloved games if they have no purpose being on the recommended list. Owlboy looks like the first one to go!
  • SnackPlissken 2 Sep 2018 18:55:28 607 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Duffking I think I'm just shit at these games lol
  • Buenos_Estente 6 Sep 2018 09:53:23 287 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    +1 for

Hollow Knight
    Enter the Gungeon
    Golf Story

NBA Playgrounds
  • OllyJ 6 Sep 2018 10:13:00 4,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can't stop playing Stardew Valley.

I just love it.

Edit:

+1

Stardew Valley
    Hollow Knight
    Rocket League
    Skyforce Anniversary Reloaded

Edited by OllyJ at 10:16:09 06-09-2018
  • neilka 6 Sep 2018 10:17:01 22,280 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Nintendo List: The Thread
  • DangerousDave_87 6 Sep 2018 10:25:14 5,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @OllyJ What's Sky Force like? I didn't know about that one. Looks like my cup of tea, but the trailer makes it seem a little slow/sluggish.
  • OllyJ 6 Sep 2018 10:55:55 4,284 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I played it first when it was free on PS+ so I quite like it, I imagine there's better shmups on there, and I have seen people scoff at it as a lesser form of the genre as it originally game from mobile...

For what it's worth, I think it's a nice game loop, pretty addictive and when you fully upgrade your ship and start taking on the higher difficulties it really gets good. For the price, I think it's a safe bet.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.