Dreams PS4 - Major sleeper hit?

• starsail 3 Sep 2018 16:18:34 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dreams was demoed again at this years PAX showing a user generated third person to first person mech v alien invasion game.

https://youtu.be/5YaV11gemcI

Previous demos have shown futuristic cities, Mario 64 style platformers, Colony Wars style space shooters, Dark Souls like adventure games...

If such a game making tool is put into the talented hands of a diverse gaming community, who knows what we can expect... GTA 6, Pokemon Adventure 64, Half Life 3... I'm intrigued to see what the community can do, even if it means having to was through countless penis themed games. Plus, it'll be PSVR compatible from day one.

Given the game is the brainchild of Media Molecule of Little Big Planet fame, is it possible it might pull the rug from under Red Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefield and Spiderman if released this year? I think it'll be a sleeper hit. We just need an open beta date confirmed.

Edited by starsail at 16:19:59 03-09-2018

Edited by starsail at 16:20:34 03-09-2018
  • Frogofdoom 3 Sep 2018 16:29:58 13,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No chance, game creation games just create shit versions of normal games.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2018 16:33:55
    Must...buy...new...mattress...
  • starsail 3 Sep 2018 16:53:53 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Frogofdoom I think in the majority of cases, that's probably true but some of the stuff that came from little big planet was pretty creative, original and very playable. I'd love to see what gems could be extracted from the community in a fully 3D environment once they get used to the tools.
  • starsail 3 Sep 2018 16:55:02 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JanetSnakehole just don't let it Linger
  • richardiox 3 Sep 2018 17:33:06 7,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fucking hell.

No, you can't make games of the quality of GTA, Mario 64, Half Life etc using creation software like Dreams (or LBP). To imply you can is totally disrespectful to professional developers.

It's like saying that good music creation software enables anyone to record their own "Sergeant Peppers". Total bollocks and keep reading it on various forums. Idiotic.

And no, it's a niche game and won't pull it the rug from COD, BF or RDR regardless of when it's released. Idiotic.
  • mester_dave 3 Sep 2018 18:10:18 23 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see it threatening the AAA status quo, however as a platform for party games it should be brilliant.
  • starsail 3 Sep 2018 19:11:52 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mester_dave I'm excited to see what bedroom eggheads with no life can conjure up. I think it has the potential to be another minecraft, albeit smaller in user base.
  • Blackmarsh63 3 Sep 2018 19:33:42 2,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wasn't this demoed at the PS4 launch presentation. I think Half Life 3 is more likely to see the light of day first than this.
  • mester_dave 3 Sep 2018 20:27:38 23 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @starsail me too, especially when it comes to VR
  • ooombasa 4 Sep 2018 03:38:11 110 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No need for hyperbole but it will be a sleeper hit and will even find success by people who have nothing to do with games. People in marketing can pitch their ideas using it. Films I makers can create rough cuts for a short film. Artists could make interactive galleries. Toy makers could sculpt their prototype model and 3D print it.

As for games itself, the ease in which you can create logic in this software will allow many devs to prototype their game concepts.

I think it will get a lot of mileage from professionals and students of all creative industries.

And no doubt Sony and MM have a program in the works where they will invite famous professional devs to create a short game for the Dream platform.

Edited by ooombasa at 03:40:44 04-09-2018
  • OllyJ 4 Sep 2018 09:28:30 4,484 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think as a hit in terms of sales, I can't see it being massive.

But, I think it's going to be invaluable for teaching kids about game design, so I think it'll have a long life for sure.

I just don't think it's going to be much fun for the average gamer, and the demos I've seen so far, the end results are nice but not exactly something I'd be eager to play for fun.
  • richardiox 4 Sep 2018 09:33:01 7,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People really think this £50 console game will outdo professional grade production software for games, film and 3D sculpture? Happy to be proven wrong but I remember the same talk around Project Spark and Little Big Planet.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2018 09:34:59
    @ooombasa I think the kind of people you mention already have a wide variety of professional tools and skills at their disposal that go beyond anything this will offer them. I can see the appeal for hobbyists and students though
  • Dizzy 4 Sep 2018 11:35:44 3,709 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Game creators never really work IMHO.

People doing professional work have a whole set of much better tools to help them out.
  • richardiox 4 Sep 2018 12:07:30 7,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    OP suggests we'll be getting games of the caliber of GTA and Half Life. It's so insulting to developers. Implies all you need is a creation suit to make a "proper" game.

Nothing to do with hundreds of qualified people with decades of tech experience working together for 5 years in a proper workflow organizational structure.

Nah, little Billy bollocks can now start knocking out legit games (that people would rather play than titles produced by studios) in their spare time.
  • IronGiant 4 Sep 2018 12:18:37 5,905 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Surely if you have the right idea then a game creation tool can help that idea come to fruition? I imagine a hell of a lot of people working in the industry started off as a 'Billy Bollocks'.

You're suggesting that the best games only get made by the huge developers.
  • MMMarmite 4 Sep 2018 13:11:23 1,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @richardiox Yes, the OP is probably stretching it a bit with GTA6 and Half Life 3, but thatís not to say that decent games couldnít come from it - after all look at some of the shit or buggy games that have been made by studios with decades of experience and all the latest and greatest tools...
  • richardiox 4 Sep 2018 13:49:27 7,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Surely if you have the right idea then a game creation tool can help that idea come to fruition? I imagine a hell of a lot of people working in the industry started off as a 'Billy Bollocks'.

No, I'm just suggesting that the best games get made by professional developers be that a one man indie outfit or a huge AAA team. Neither would be using Dreams to create their game. There's property tools to do that's with eg Unity, Unreal etc

I agree that Billy Bollocks can and will learn the fundamentals of game creation with Dreams and knock up some cool ideas. It's good. It'll help them get into the industry.

I'm just refuting the notion I've seen here and on Neogaf that we'll be getting Half Life / GTA style full experiences that people will purchase Dreams just to play. That never happens with mainstream game creation software.
  • ooombasa 4 Sep 2018 15:24:04 110 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jambajuice wrote:
    @ooombasa I think the kind of people you mention already have a wide variety of professional tools and skills at their disposal that go beyond anything this will offer them. I can see the appeal for hobbyists and students though
    Of course they do but the setup time and amount of people required to get that going in those software pieces is a much bigger task thab what Dreams requires.

Many of the people praising Dreams have been developers themselves. It is very intuitive and easy to set up prototypes. Same is true for other fields, whether it be an animated idea for an advertisement (my friend hmin marketing has said he wishes something like this existed yonks ago).

Edited by ooombasa at 15:25:08 04-09-2018
  • ooombasa 4 Sep 2018 15:27:00 110 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    IronGiant wrote:

No, I'm just suggesting that the best games get made by professional developers be that a one man indie outfit or a huge AAA team. Neither would be using Dreams to create their game. There's property tools to do that's with eg Unity, Unreal etc

I agree that Billy Bollocks can and will learn the fundamentals of game creation with Dreams and knock up some cool ideas. It's good. It'll help them get into the industry.

I'm just refuting the notion I've seen here and on Neogaf that we'll be getting Half Life / GTA style full experiences that people will purchase Dreams just to play. That never happens with mainstream game creation software.
    Actually, many of the bigger devs like to prototype in easy to setup apps to test their ideas. I'm talking Game Maker and such. My point was Dreams has an even more intuitive interface yet still an in-depth logic system that can make prototypes even easier.

Edited by ooombasa at 15:27:28 04-09-2018
  • starsail 9 Sep 2018 16:05:04 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @richardiox I honestly don't expect something to the quality of the original ip but I'd love to see the community give it a go to see what the best results are. I think it's possible to get some truly playable games as a result, but there will be lots of crap too.
  • starsail 9 Sep 2018 16:06:57 61 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The music creation software alone looks/sounds absolutely stunning, let alone the 3D games engine and if we don't get great games, we should at least get stellar works of music. I've high hopes for it and I think it'll sell well, but I also think if the right people get their hands on it, then we'll see some stunning works of art, music and games, not to mention some great stabs at animated movies

Edited by starsail at 16:08:09 09-09-2018

Edited by starsail at 16:09:29 09-09-2018
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Sep 2018 08:14:07 10,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    martintolley wrote:
    I imagine a hell of a lot of people working in the industry started off as a Billy Bollocks gmail
    Quoted for posterity.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.