Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 9

• DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2018 10:50:16 23,519 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Frogofdoom
    Can't you go back then ? I'm in the menu I can download Russian apparently, can't find Greek.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Oct 2018 10:54:00 10,125 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh was it russian? Apologies then I assumed it was Greek. The voice acting is actually brilliant though so I wouldn't want to change it.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2018 10:58:08 23,519 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just checked mate, you can't change it which seems like a massive oversight. You could have French in Unity and Italian in II. Ubi have said there are no plans to include Greek...seems like a tragedy to me...i'm in all week
  • Your-Mother 6 Oct 2018 14:30:44 2,065 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I imagine it would have been challenging to find voice actors who spoke ancient Greek.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2018 14:35:39 23,519 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    I imagine it would have been challenging to find voice actors who spoke ancient Greek.
    I would have been happy enough with Greek. I suppose I could download the Russian voice track, it will probably make as much sense to me as the Greek one would.
  • gordon_woodbine 6 Oct 2018 15:20:38 42 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Screw my Medjay badge, I am now a randy lesbian assassin, pottering around Ancient Greece with my moral compass pointing permanently to Fuck It.

In other words, I like this game.
  • DMJ 6 Oct 2018 16:11:31 830 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Picked this up earlier for the PS4 Pro. I'd prefer to play it on PC but had quite a bit of PSN credit. Only paid £15 of 'real' money.

Last game in the series I played was 3, which I didn't hate but also didn't finish.
  • kadooosh 6 Oct 2018 18:39:19 3,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 yeah, I tried to cancel but it's sat at shipped (although not been given to ups), hence not grabbing your copy and thinking I'd wait a while. I might do a PayPal dispute and settle it that way, just hope they don't close my ubisoft account for it. Can't see why they would. Looking forward to this though!
  • neems 6 Oct 2018 19:35:12 4,084 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gordon_woodbine wrote:
    ...I am now a randy lesbian assassin, pottering around Ancient Greece with my moral compass pointing permanently to Fuck It.

Sold!

Just kidding, I bought it yesterday.
  • Chalpie 6 Oct 2018 20:54:11 6 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    @richyroo Thank you for a short non spoily review

I have just started playing, looking forward to 100 percent or at least uncover the whole map, awesome! :)
  • ZuluHero 7 Oct 2018 01:41:55 6,684 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha, 7 hours in and the Assassin's Creed intro logo just appeared(!)

It's gonna be a long ride...
  • mickerty 7 Oct 2018 15:56:28 242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZuluHero 7 hours? Holy moly! Have you been side questing?

What's the consensus on the horses? I find my horse is a bit twitchy and way too fast - keep knocking everyone over in the town.

It's a bit overwhelming how big it seems - I'm hardly anywhere through the starting area but can't wait to explore - this is absolutely my jam.
  • neems 7 Oct 2018 16:19:35 4,084 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm fine with the horse, but then I liked Roach in Witcher 3 which apparently makes me a weirdo.
  • gordon_woodbine 7 Oct 2018 17:20:40 42 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite like the horse. All the people in all the places I've visited would probably disagree, however, as it seems to love booting them all in the face.
  • adagger 7 Oct 2018 17:22:42 35 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slightly off topic I guess, pre ordered the standard edition from Amazon, digital XB1. Code redeemed and installed etc. Just had a refund from Amazon citing ‘their’ problem with the order. Anyone else heard of this happening?
  • mickerty 7 Oct 2018 17:25:29 242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @gordon_woodbine hahahaha hahaha brilliant.

I liked roach too - but that was before playing breath of the wild ;)

I feel that in this I have to go at half speed for it to "feel" right ...
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 18:58:31 10,125 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only time I ever use my horse is when I set a waypoint and tell it to go there automatically. The rest of the time is spent on foot.
  • gordon_woodbine 7 Oct 2018 19:57:39 42 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Frogofdoom You should take it for a trot through a town some time. The screams and the sound of powerful hooves meeting delicate skulls is strangely relaxing.
  • Kovacs77 7 Oct 2018 20:11:35 570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are the NPCs any better animated and voiced than they were in Origins?
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 20:59:48 10,125 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The main NPC's are all excellent, the randoms that you do a side quest for are serviceable.
  • ZuluHero 7 Oct 2018 21:10:24 6,684 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think they're pretty good, but then I never played origins for comparison.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 21:22:26 10,125 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's the same in the Witcher and mass effect as well, there is no way all the NPC's can be of the same quality as it just isn't viable.
  • Daeltaja 7 Oct 2018 21:23:55 1,649 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About 8 hrs in and the setting isn't grabbing me like Egypt did. Hopefully that will change as the game opens up but I feel like there is a lot less variety than in Origins.

Also, melee combat is total dogshit. It actually feels less polished than Origins. Trying to stealth wherever possible to avoid it.
  • mickerty 7 Oct 2018 23:49:22 242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow. Okay NOW I'm impressed.

I'm off the first island and had my first taste of the high seas which was epic. Dolphins swimming next to the ship, the sea shanty my crew was singing, the waves look incredible and the combat was just truly exceptional.

I then saw a close by dock and village and went to investigate. As I was walking through off the boat and through the pier I noticed the waves lapoung around docked boats which are still bobbing about the water, a ridiculous amount of detail in the architecture, the materials and NPC's. Walking through this small village so densely packed with visual touches had me a bit list for words. I just kept opening the world map trying to get a handle on how big this world is - pretty pretty, pretty pretty, pretty pretty big. And the scenery outside the walls of the village - wow I can see the epic mountain in front of me and the vast landscape the other side of the water. When I was playing early 3d games back in the 90s - i couldn't even imagine this would be possible.

I did keep reminding myself that it's not as interactive as say Witcher 3 or as focused as BOTW, but it's arguably more impressive in certain respects.

I really want to love this game so hoping it doesn't let up on the quality.

Really really impressed me in my playtime tonight.
  • Kovacs77 8 Oct 2018 07:10:44 570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Origins was much, much worse than Witcher 3 for the jarring difference in quality between Bayek and the spooky plastic faced animated mannequins that populate the streets I thought. Also it always bothers me that they don't get Egyptian actors (or other locals depending on the game) to voice incidental characters rather than having "children" shouting at the main character as he rides past which are clearly an English woman putting on a squeaky voice and a bad impression of an accent..
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2018 07:21:23 23,519 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mickerty
    Good to hear. I'm on the first Island (about 3 hours in) just farting around, which I intend to do until RDR drops. I then intend to get into the game "properly" once done with RDR.

It took me around 10 hours and several false starts to fall in love with Origins. I tried to enjoy but I just could not see what nearly everyone else was seeing, even more strange when you factor in I love the series and have bought every main entry and most "side" entries since day 1.

I did watch Jim sterling's critique of Odyssey/Ubi on YT yesterday, he does have some very valid points though ;)
  • mickerty 8 Oct 2018 07:26:31 242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 sounds like the right thing to do - im going to hold off RDR until to be my inevitable Christmas game ;)

I am trying to stay blissfully unaware of criticism of Odyssey in case I agree with any of it!

This is going to take me a while to get through :)
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2018 07:31:58 23,519 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mickerty wrote:
    I am trying to stay blissfully unaware of criticism of Odyssey in case I agree with any of it!
    :)
    I like your style, sounds like a plan ;)
  • Garfy 8 Oct 2018 09:46:21 1,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bloody boar!

Tougher than any Spartan!
  • Frogofdoom 8 Oct 2018 10:00:03 10,125 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Holy shit that's a lot of assassinations.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.