Following Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 11

• Rhaegyr 9 Oct 2018 15:55:51 4,649 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "It's not affected me so it doesn't exist."
  • Cadence 9 Oct 2018 16:20:53 2,245 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's the late game stuff I would be interested to know if ubisoft have amped up the grind. A bit like what happened to shadow of war. I'll check back here in a few weeks!
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Oct 2018 16:38:06 3,216 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Well, the later missions have gating that is 7 levels apart, stated in some reviews.
    Maybe wait a bit until you claim it's all bullshit.
    This

It did that in the last game in the later missions
  • Scimarad 9 Oct 2018 17:05:42 9,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well if it becomes annoying later then I dare say I'll moan about it. That said are you not going to be levelling up anyway just from doing non story stuff?
  • Derblington 9 Oct 2018 17:07:21 31,204 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As long as you naturally do everything before a mission, or don't mind being forced to do everything instead of progressing the narrative, then you'll be fine.

If you want to progress, it's going to be an annoyance.

Honestly, I think I'll stump up the £10 (or whatever it is) for the 50% bonus XP mode. I want to play the game but I don't need it to be a 100 hour epic.

Edited by Derblington at 17:09:13 09-10-2018
  • AaronTurner 9 Oct 2018 19:06:24 10,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You don't buy a sprawling open world have to just play through a linear story, surely?

I'd fully expect anyone doing that will be disappointed because the game is balanced in a way that it assumes people will take on side quests and explore the world around them.

I'm at level 18 and have yet to experience anything negative about the levelling yet. In fact sometimes I find it goes by too quickly.

Regardless, all the reviews stated just how big a game it is, seems bizarre to slate it for this.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 19:26:35 17,186 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Derps just loves those fucking microtransactions. It's all about giving the player choice.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Oct 2018 23:48:37 2,986 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 or 4 hours in and I really like this.

Sure, the combat is janky; the voice acting is cheesy; the climbing controls seem to get worse with every game; and it does not look quite as lovely as Origins (deserts and pyramids really suit the AC engine...); but, you know what, a little bit of "choose your own adventure" really does involve me in the story.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Oct 2018 08:16:31 4,594 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I am 2 1/2 hours In and may be falling off of it. I just havenít had the chance to get my teeth into it enough to keep interest.
  • Big-Swiss 10 Oct 2018 08:59:50 9,317 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    lvl 23 here. still in sequence 3.

I really do appreaciate the war battles and the ship stuff, only running fro ? to ? would bore me, but like this stuff keeps being interesting.

make sure you trap the emergency fires at the enemy bases. I was doing fine, but forgot the fire at some place, had 3 high Level mercenaries rush into the base, and I was chanceless.
  • robthehermit 10 Oct 2018 09:08:45 7,022 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Big-Swiss Level 25, still in sequence 4. Currently sailing around the islands and clearing those off before I go to Athens.

Edited by robthehermit at 09:09:20 10-10-2018
  • robthehermit 10 Oct 2018 09:10:39 7,022 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I haven't bothered with the conquest stuff at all, I've done a bit of ship combat but not much. I'm one of those freaks who actually likes travelling from ? to ?.
  • Big-Swiss 10 Oct 2018 10:25:25 9,317 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    of couse, if you don't enjoy the times when you clear out the map, then you will not enjoy this game. But still, somethimes I just Need a break and want to Play a pirate or war merc for a couple of hours
  • Scimarad 10 Oct 2018 10:30:39 9,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not sure if the game is going to push me towards the conquest stuff via the main story again but the doesn't really seem to be much motivation for the character to get involved over the initial one (which is resolved). Sparta seems to be doing fine in it's own and you haven't been given any reason to help Athens.
  • Big-Swiss 10 Oct 2018 12:04:40 9,317 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    you gain the most XP for conquest victories. So if you a short of a few Levels for the Mission you fancy, doing a few battles should make you jump Levels quickly
  • Derblington 10 Oct 2018 16:50:15 31,204 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    You don't buy a sprawling open world have to just play through a linear story, surely?
    If it's designed right you should still the world. I'll happily do the quests and travel all over the place, but I'm less keen on the 70-100 hour timing.
    I really enjoyed Origins, hence the interest here, but even that I thought dragged in the latter half, and the side-missions felt a lot like filler.

The reviews I've seen all said the game was great but some mentioned my issues with Origins. Problem here is that the game is so much bigger, so what tested my interest there may well entirely annoy me here after the first 3 dozen hours. Which is still a really respectable playtime, but I'd like to see the narrative through rather than faff about with side-activities if they bore me.

And then I read this: https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price

I'm in a position where the tenner is worth less to me than potentially 20+ hours play.
    And I'm not going to buy the game until it's hit a sale either, as RDR is more important.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Oct 2018 16:54:46 4,649 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great article. Can't believe you can't assassinate a character if their level is higher than yours - sounds like a complete immersion breaker. Not played the series since Black Flag though so this may have been the norm for a while.

Can't believe the audacity to call the tab for micro transactions 'Time Savers' too.
  • Your-Mother 10 Oct 2018 17:00:04 2,246 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a little made up by the fact you can (with the right ability) assassinate from a distance now, and then chain them together so you can basically telefrag across the map.
  • AaronTurner 10 Oct 2018 17:48:49 10,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    If it's designed right you should still the world. I'll happily do the quests and travel all over the place, but I'm less keen on the 70-100 hour timing.
    I really enjoyed Origins, hence the interest here, but even that I thought dragged in the latter half, and the side-missions felt a lot like filler.

The reviews I've seen all said the game was great but some mentioned my issues with Origins. Problem here is that the game is so much bigger, so what tested my interest there may well entirely annoy me here after the first 3 dozen hours. Which is still a really respectable playtime, but I'd like to see the narrative through rather than faff about with side-activities if they bore me.

And then I read this: https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price

I'm in a position where the tenner is worth less to me than potentially 20+ hours play.
    And I'm not going to buy the game until it's hit a sale either, as RDR is more important.
    Personally, I think that article is nonsense. It does not take 15 hours to get good. In fact I really enjoyed the first 15 hours. If you don't enjoy doing the assassin's creed things (which I would completely understand, I've been there myself) then you won't enjoy the game. If you do enjoy them then you'll enjoy the game.

I don't know if I'll bother finishing the game, that doesn't really matter to me. But I've already got about 20 hours out of it and not many games do that for me so I can already say that it's been a hugely enjoyable experience.
  • Derblington 10 Oct 2018 19:14:18 31,204 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good stuff. Say you get 30-40 good hours out of it and don't finish it... great. Still time well spent.
    My question is: why not get 30 really enjoyable hours AND finish it?

I'd rather do that, personally. If you don't care, cool.
  • Frogofdoom 10 Oct 2018 19:19:31 10,947 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've seen people on Reddit say that they regret the booster as it makes the early game too fast. Constantly changing weapons and it messes the pacing up. It might be worth saving it until you at least hit level 25 as I am finding the levelling pretty quick as it is.
  • gordon_woodbine 11 Oct 2018 00:02:07 50 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can sympathise with people who are a little short on time and wanting to power through the main story as the game doesn't really seem to want you to do that. I only have a very loose grip on what the main story is (something, something, fell off a cliff, something, something, spear of destiny, something, something, are you my mother?) but I'm having a great time pottering around, getting up to no good in the rather fetching surroundings of Ancient Greece.
  • robthehermit 11 Oct 2018 00:25:41 7,022 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    It's a little made up by the fact you can (with the right ability) assassinate from a distance now, and then chain them together so you can basically telefrag across the map.
    Once you get to chain 3 attacks, you can assassinate the same person more than once. Hit first person who doesn't die, bounce off to someone else then finish off the original target.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2018 09:58:02
    No AC game since 2 has grabbed me enough for me to finish it, but I'm bloody loving this. Played from scratch right up to meeting the Spartans and The Wolf for the first time. Couple of questions;

- Is there a way to track your total XP across AC games? Are they basically just trophies? Wanna unlock Evie, when I started I already had 2 of the 3 assassin badges, so I didn't start on 0 XP, but not yet the Master Assassin badge. I assume I'll probably get enough just by playing.
    - The weekly quest is to kill a bunch of Spartans. Errr, I just made friends with these guys. Do I just need to play further into the story before I can start offing them?
    - Is this basically Origins 2.0? I couldn't get into that at all, but now I'm thinking I missed out. Seems identical in a lot of ways. Might need to go back to it.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2018 10:04:24
    Also, combat is janky as hell, and at one point I cleared out a bay of soldiers, completed the area, then went up to a guy to start a quest. But he, someone I didn't know, accused me of killing someone else I also didn't know, and I instantly failed the quest. WTH?
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Oct 2018 10:06:25 23,792 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just got my first ship. Back to BF levels of brilliance on the water thankfully. I did not like Origins take on it one bit.

@Garl
    Ubi club is where stats are tracked and you get loads of "legacy" unlocks if you have played previous games in the series, be it FC or AS for example . Every time I start a new Ubi game I get unlocks due to the Club. I love the club, it is free as well.
    You should definitely go back to Origins, totally brilliant game, this is not the sequel, although it looks very similar and plays 90% the same.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2018 10:27:22
    @DUFFMAN5 Cheers. Just checked Ubi Club. Only halfway to Master Assassin so long way to go. Guess I have an excuse to go back to Origins. :)

I also can't believe how much money I've given Ubi over the years. :confused: I'm a pretty crazy high level considering I don't play most of their games for more than a few hours.
  • Big-Swiss 11 Oct 2018 11:41:25 9,317 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Also, combat is janky as hell, and at one point I cleared out a bay of soldiers, completed the area, then went up to a guy to start a quest. But he, someone I didn't know, accused me of killing someone else I also didn't know, and I instantly failed the quest. WTH?
    but that doesen't make the combat janky, it makes the quest-System janky

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.