Following Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 20

• Deleted user 21 November 2018 02:06:34
    Currently level 23 but pretty close to giving up, which would make it the second AC game (after 3) that I've failed complete.

I usually really enjoy Assassin's Creed, even the ones most people seemed to hate like Unity, but this one just feels like a chore most of the time. Too much messing about with equipment, too much forced combat, too much sailing, too much hiding from mercenaries and not enough fun picking off guards with an assassin's blade.

That and I just don't find the ancient world as interesting as the various post-renaissance settings were for historical tourism. There's just not the same level of architecture to explore, every town seems identical to the last. Origins got away with it because pyramids.

Still plugging away at it because the story is good at times. Though it can be pretty inconsistent, I've found it quite jarring how often you can go from a well written mission where Kassandra faces some difficult moral quandary one minute, then into some sidequest the next where she'll happily murder a civilian no questions asked because someone accused them of stealing their lunch money.

Not sure if I'll keep it up or give in to the draw of moving on to some of the other big games that have come out recently like Red Dead.
  • Big-Swiss 21 Nov 2018 09:31:10 9,362 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jambajuice!

look mate, I totally get where you are coming from, but I think you are right about at the Point where it will start to click!

with clicking I don't mean regarding yourself, I mean it is the Point where your skills start to give you a good Impact, where you can finally get some meaningful Gold and purple gear, and all of a son you feel so badass, that you can't stop and it is as addictive as drugs.
  • Scimarad 21 Nov 2018 10:09:21 9,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I recently did a mission with one of those irritating "haha! I'm going to make you choose which one of these two people I'm going to murder" tropes. Of course I say "er , no. I'm going to murder you instead".

Then Kassandras basically stands there while the henchmen slowly draws their swords and kill the npcs. Cut to Kassandra standing there and eventually taking her sword out.

World's laziest Misthios...
  • Deleted user 21 November 2018 10:23:38
    Yeah it took some time for the game to click, mainly once your power reaches a decent enough level you can one-shot assassinate most targets. Then it became one of my favourite open world/stealth games I've ever played. But also, all the above are fair criticisms. The towns especially seem more distinctive in Origins from what I've played of it.

On a side note, I'm going to Athens in a couple of weeks, with a few days in Meteora. For a number of reasons, and Meteora in particular looks stunning. But I'd be lying if I said tearing my way through Greece in AC didn't at least partly influence my decision. :)
  • ChiefGB 22 Nov 2018 10:50:30 10,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great, I was hoping the world would be BETTER than origins which I found fairly dull in many areas also the game was too Grindy. Hearing people struggling to click with it, I didnít really clock with origins to the extent of many, guess this will be the same.
    It appealed to me more than origins the minute it was announced, so I was/am hopeful this will be different.
  • Frogofdoom 22 Nov 2018 10:53:33 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We lost garl?

That's a shame he is a good guy :(
  • b-rk 22 Nov 2018 12:35:58 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Why did he just go like that.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Nov 2018 14:08:40 24,551 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    Why did he just go like that.
    Another gone... :(
    Maybe I should be moving on as well, us old farts stinking up the joint!
  • Big-Swiss 22 Nov 2018 14:46:21 9,362 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    what happened?????
  • Subquest 22 Nov 2018 18:12:51 380 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think my love for the combat in this game increased considerably when I focussed on staffs, which combined with flame power and overpower attacks really works and feels right. Thereís something a bit silly about slashing away with swords and daggers without dealing massive bloody damage with each connection.

On another note, I find the idea of getting bored with this game around lvl 23 bizarre, but each to their own and all that. Only Witcher 3 has bettered this in the genre imo.

Edited by Subquest at 18:14:34 22-11-2018
  • b-rk 22 Nov 2018 18:16:29 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    using a staff is pretty good fun. i beat goats to death with mine.
  • kadooosh 22 Nov 2018 20:19:54 3,220 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm level 10 and haven't seen an overpower attack.. Well, like the l1+r1 thing you had in origins. Obviously I have the abilities matched to l1/l2 but is there like a special thing you had in origins?

Edited by kadooosh at 20:20:11 22-11-2018
  • Frogofdoom 22 Nov 2018 21:30:35 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's in the warrior tree, a fair way up though.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 21:31:04 22-11-2018
  • kadooosh 22 Nov 2018 21:58:13 3,220 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah got ya
  • Deleted user 25 November 2018 01:59:56
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    Jambajuice!

look mate, I totally get where you are coming from, but I think you are right about at the Point where it will start to click!

with clicking I don't mean regarding yourself, I mean it is the Point where your skills start to give you a good Impact, where you can finally get some meaningful Gold and purple gear, and all of a son you feel so badass, that you can't stop and it is as addictive as drugs.
    Things did pick up a lot in my next session. I got to Mykonos, which I think is the first time since starting the game that a town had a different architectural style and actually looked like it wasn't a copy and paste of every town that came before it and was therefore worth exploring.

That led to a whole chain of quests that formed a satisfying self contained little story with some nice gameplay running through it too (standard sneaking and assassination, but it all had purpose and wasn't padded out with boring stuff the way so much of the game has been)

Weird thing is that I came across it completely by accident on my way to the main quest on a different island, so I could easily have missed it. Hopefully the quality continues to pick up when I do get back to the main storyline.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2018 16:27:27
    Is there a thread for AC origins as I couldn't find one? Anyway currently playing this and I half expected it to be terrible coming from rdr2 but I actually prefer it from a gameplay point of view. Feels more fun to play. Obviously not in the same league in terms of technical achievement and immersion but from a 'game point of view I think Origins tis rather great. Is Odyssey the better game or is it just down to preference?
  • Frogofdoom 25 Nov 2018 16:30:22 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Odyssey is definitely the better game. It is however massive so might outstay it's welcome depending on how much you enjoy it.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2018 16:35:06
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Odyssey is definitely the better game. It is however massive so might outstay it's welcome depending on how much you enjoy it.

Well I won't be playing it for a while. I should imagine Origins will take me until the new year and I won't dive straight into Odyssey then. We shall see.
  • Phattso 25 Nov 2018 22:45:45 24,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Similarly I'm just coming to the end of my Origins adventure, and I find myself reluctant to leave it behind. Choice: pick up the Origins DLC, or just fuckit and bite the bullet on Odyssey. That'd be my tenth and final game of the year... mere weeks before Just Cause 4 lands. Gah!
  • Frogofdoom 25 Nov 2018 22:47:59 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    May be a little much to play them back to back. Why not wait and see how just cause is and leave Odyssey until the new year when you don't have 40 hours of origins fresh in the memory. Although the Pharaohs origins dlc is really quite excellent as well
  • Phattso 25 Nov 2018 23:41:21 24,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're right. I should just fuck off the challenge and get them all. Thanks, user Frogofdoom. I needed that.
  • Frogofdoom 26 Nov 2018 07:18:01 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha that is totally not what I said but it is what I would do :D
  • Deleted user 26 November 2018 12:52:34
    The last AC I played was the London one, how far has it moved on since then? is it still, here is this area here are 20 things exactly the same you've done everywhere else but they're here instead kind of thing?

I did complete AC: East Croydon but it was a massive chore.
  • Frogofdoom 26 Nov 2018 13:22:10 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The last 2 are very different games to the ones before them. I finished assassin's creed 1 and black flag and none of the others after it until the last 2. They are much more free flowing than the previous ones.
  • erasr 28 Dec 2018 13:06:12 312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got this for £25 from Currys. Bargain. Coming from RDR2 it feels fun and skilful.

I started with Kassandra, then an hour in tried Alexis, then went back to Kassandra (spelling?). Sheís far better and more authentic.

Great game so far. Combat and movement feels a little lightweight but itís worth picking it up in these sales.
  • Deleted user 28 December 2018 18:46:38
    Arghh I was in the middle of what I think was my final boss fight against Medusa and the game crashed when I had them down to a sliver of health. Don't want to go back to it now, the game was already dragging on and I was looking forward to drawing a line under it.
  • ChiefGB 28 Dec 2018 22:21:09 10,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got this for Xmas, itís rather good actually. Much better than origins, controls better, Kassandra is simply awesome.
  • richyroo 29 Dec 2018 22:24:02 365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent about 40 hours on Origins before I got bored. I completed Odyssey with 110 hours on the clock and was left wanting more.

Odyssey is my game of the year. I'm now anxiously waitng for all the DLC content to be released before I jump straight back in again.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2018 22:47:14 5,847 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picked this up with a Steam voucher I got for Christmas (along with Mechanicus). Just started playing it tonight - Mechanicus ate my life for a couple of days there.

Rather good, isn't it? I've never stuck with an AssCreed game before - like Zelda, it's a series I've never gelled with. But I've a feeling this might be the one that gets me over that.

Is the season pass worth it?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.