Following Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 3

• robthehermit 27 Sep 2018 00:48:34 7,022 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-26-how-odyssey-is-changing-the-face-of-assassins-creed

Third paragraph from the bottom.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 05:30:55 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    Will this be less repetitive than most other Ubisoft games, including Far Cry? I bought Far Cry 5 and thought it was brilliant at first but then ditched it half way through. That's the same cycle I've had with most Ubisoft games.

I like the look of Odyssey. How does it compare?
    Re "how does it compare" we don't know yet. It is getting very positive "buzz" Origins was excellent, it did take a long time to click for me however. In the end I did almost everything including all dlc and clicked 60+ hours.
    To some degree all games are repetitive, once you get down to the nuts and bolts. Are you going to have fun in the world created for you and the toys therein is more the question for me.
    Odyssey looks excellent in the vids I have seen and the articles I have read.
    I thought FC5 was ok, prob a 7/10 for me, again I completed but I thought it was weaker than 3,4 and Primal. The second game is also excellent but a different beast to those that have come after.
    Ubi games, well the FC and AC series absolutely follow a template, if you buy into that I think you will love the game.
  • Derblington 27 Sep 2018 06:25:34 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    According to an article on gamesindustry.biz, Kassandra is the games canonical hero.
    That's not the way they've been marketing the game, the cut scene trailers seem to focus on alexios, not saying it's not true just that if it is ubi seem to be shying away from it. Not an issue for me, picking Kassandra from the moment I saw her.
    They've said that she's canon from the start, they just allow you to pick what you want.
  • superdelphinus 27 Sep 2018 07:27:10 9,952 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not strictly relevant but I started replaying Unity the other day (never got around to finishing it originally and origins got me obsessed with them again) and I reckon itís a massively underrated game. At 4k on high details itís absolutely stunning - the atmosphere and busyness of the streets is way ahead of its time. I think itís actually more impressive than origins graphically, though I did play that on PS4 pro rather than PC.
  • superdelphinus 27 Sep 2018 07:30:09 9,952 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    @ChiefGB

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-26-how-odyssey-is-changing-the-face-of-assassins-creed

Third paragraph from the bottom.
    The Ďnarrative directorí looks like a hipster ginger Harry Potter.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Sep 2018 07:55:47 17,186 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I honestly thought she was a badly rendered character in one of the shitty modern day sections when I first saw the picture.
  • ChiefGB 27 Sep 2018 09:11:24 9,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Again though regardless of what they are saying the promo material is NOT running with her front and centre, there are more statues with him in and like only one with her last I checked. Im not digging anyone out but Ubi pr/marketing here.
  • wuntyphyve 27 Sep 2018 09:28:04 11,039 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @superdelphinus I finished Unity a week or so ago, having never bought any AC game since AC3. I thought it was bloody fantastic if I'm honest. It rekindled my interest in the series and I'm now stuck into Black Flag, which is immense. Got Syndicate and Origins (which I did actually start before I decided to pop it on hold and play most of the ones I missed) ready to play after.

But yeah. Paris was something else. Not experienced anything like it. What a beautiful game world.
  • neems 27 Sep 2018 09:33:18 4,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unity had some issues as a game (don't they all?) but Paris was absolutely amazing, I used to just wander around the map doing the odd side activity.
  • andy10 27 Sep 2018 09:43:54 299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also went back to Unity recently, after rinsing Origins. I think it's the most brilliantly realised 'world' they've put together - I found myself wishing my geography of Paris was slightly better, to help me orient myself and aid with the investigative quests. I initially bounced off Unity because the combat is punishing if you stray outside of the areas you're levelled for (and I got frustrated that my stealth approach would frequently fall apart at the slightest error). But, post-Origins, I'm less averse to the idea of levelling up my equipment and taking my time.

The one criticism that still holds up is the travesty of a map screen - even after completing every activity in an area it's still an ilegible, cluttered mess.

Once I'm done with Odyssey I think I'll go back and give Syndicate another try.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 11:33:02 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    andy10 wrote:
    I also went back to Unity recently,
    Once I'm done with Odyssey I think I'll go back and give Syndicate another try.
    Syndicate is in my top 3, brilliant game/atmosphere
    Cor blimey etc etc...

I also really enjoyed Unity, apart from trying to climb through mother fucking open windows
  • Derblington 27 Sep 2018 11:36:40 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't understand the praise for Syndicate. It's everything stale about Ass Creed but set in London.
    I agree that the location is as much of a character as any of the written parts but it;s not enough in isolation to combat the boredom. If Origins hadn't made moves to fix everything else, Egypt being pretty wouldn't have been enough to get it the reception it has.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 12:04:17 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I don't understand the praise for Syndicate. It's everything stale about Ass Creed but set in London.
    I agree that the location is as much of a character as any of the written parts but it;s not enough in isolation to combat the boredom. If Origins hadn't made moves to fix everything else, Egypt being pretty wouldn't have been enough to get it the reception it has.
    I on the other hand don't understand a lot of the hate for Syndicate.Luckily we can all agree that Origins was good and everything we have read/seen about Odyssey would suggest it is dialed up to 11, which is one louder of course.
    ;)
  • robthehermit 27 Sep 2018 12:11:51 7,022 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I'm currently pootling about collecting flags in the original. Looks nice on the Xbone.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 12:23:25 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robthehermit
    Awaiting release next Tues I'm playing
    Gears UE,3,4 TDM and KOTH
    and Aliens CM on 360!
    After a run of HZD complete,Spider-man and Detroit the ps4 is having a well earned breather ;)

No point starting a new game/campaign as I will not have time to enjoy before game drops.
  • robthehermit 27 Sep 2018 12:26:09 7,022 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wasn't Colonial Marines a massive bag of shite?
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 12:31:56 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @robthehermit

Opinion is divided on the subject,. All the other Egers say it is; I say it isn't. ;)

...actually always had a morbid fascination with wanting to play it. so I am. Only on chapter/level 3 but it is ok. I do fancy trying a bit of mp, quite enjoyed that in DS2.
  • wuntyphyve 27 Sep 2018 12:40:20 11,039 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I eh... heh, really enjoyed Colonial Marines.
  • Derblington 27 Sep 2018 15:25:39 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    I on the other hand don't understand a lot of the hate for Syndicate.Luckily we can all agree that Origins was good and everything we have read/seen about Odyssey would suggest it is dialed up to 11, which is one louder of course.
    ;)
    I take it that you just generally like the series though, and just put up with all the shit, repetitive mechanics that Origins (mostly) threw away?
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2018 16:03:44 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Derblington
    Derbs I have not got the energy not inclination to bandy words around with you mate, you win Syndicate is repetitive shit and Origins is not.
  • Derblington 27 Sep 2018 16:35:07 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was a simple question.
    Sorry if you don't like the phrasing but if the mechanics weren't repetitive after a decade of the same thing they wouldn't have garnered so much criticism and then changed them.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2018 16:44:27
    I liked (what I played of) Syndicate. For London, and also for Evie, who's the best protagonist in the series after Ezio IMO. It was a pain in the ass having to go back to playing as Jacob.
  • minky-kong 27 Sep 2018 16:45:39 14,053 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He will not stop until everyone agrees with him!
  • ChiefGB 27 Sep 2018 21:15:37 9,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The grapple introduced in syndicate made traversing that wonderful city even more enjoyable, kind of like Spider-Man, it was enjoyable to just zoom about, picking fights with mouthy cockney wenches. I also remember just standing outside buck palace watching some gents playing cricket for a few minutes, going on tours of the famous places and taking great pics/vids
  • MrWonderstuff 27 Sep 2018 23:07:45 2,809 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Syndicate was my favourite. I actually made my way to Leicester Square from Parliament using my knowledge of the area IRL. Whilst it was all a stylised rendition of Victorian London I really appreciated the feeling of it all - it must have something like that.
  • superdelphinus 28 Sep 2018 07:40:25 9,952 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I will go back to syndicate after Iíve finished unity. I didnít finish that one either - my only real recollection of it was that it felt a bit too much like a London theme park.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Sep 2018 07:44:35 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have Ubi every mentioned about putting mp back into AC ? I really liked Wolfpack.
  • Derblington 29 Sep 2018 10:40:11 31,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think it was popular enough to justify the resources.

I've just been watching a play through for the start of the game. Narratively everything makes more sense that Alexios is the main character so I find it odd that they've chosen Kassandra to be canon other than pushing the 'more women in gaming' angle (which I'm absolutely fine with). Alexios will be my character though (I never really choose female characters).

I'm really looking forward to this one now but I don't think I have enough time to play it before RDR2.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Sep 2018 12:52:25 23,792 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to this one now but I don't think I have enough time to play it before RDR2.
    This was my quandary, in the end I have gone for it. I will play AC until RDR then more than likely alternate the two until AC is "complete" then concentrate on Red, until the dlc starts dropping for AC. Sorted ;)
  • samyboy 29 Sep 2018 14:18:33 86 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Why are people putting up screenshots of Zeus' statue dick climb? :D :D

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.