Following Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 21

• erasr 29 Dec 2018 23:50:05 255 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve hated all previous AS games Iíve played, albeit Iíve not played them all.

Since buying this on Friday Iíve put more hours into it in the first two days than I did with GoW or RDR2.

I did finish those two and GoW is my current GOTY but Odyssey is the biggest surprise for me. If it keeps up the momentum it will be my GOTY.

Itís amazing and unlike the old AS games. I love the variety in things to do. Also, doing my first conquest battle was epic and unexpected.
  • ChiefGB 30 Dec 2018 00:37:30 9,919 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon hard to tell. I went gold, the season pass does get you 2 ďepisodic narrative arcsĒ which amounts to 3 part periodically released dlc for each, the first one is for the lore fiends (doesnít mean it wonít be worthwhile for all though) whereas the second focuses on more mythical parts of Greece (fingers crossed for clash of the titans type sheeet). As well as the above you get a newly remastered copy of the full 3rd game and also the touched up vita game liberation. Plus some ďsecrets of GreeceĒ missions.

When you package it up it seems decent value even more so if youíve not played the other games mentioned, but not necessary to rush out for now as the first part is mid game level at least.

Edited by ChiefGB at 00:38:15 30-12-2018
  • XtraCheese 30 Dec 2018 13:39:50 118 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Copped this myself over Christmas. Itís a much more enjoyable experience than red dead redemption 2 in my opinion in the purest gaming sense.

This is a really fun game and Iím spending much more time with it than I did red dead.
  • waggy79 30 Dec 2018 14:20:50 1,912 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its a much more fun to play game than rd2 even if the details in the world arent done as well.
    Im back and forth between this and spidey and it highlights rockstars inability to grasp that we live in the age where an analogue stick is used to walk/jog/run without the need of other buttons.
    If Rd2 had the contols of Odyssey itd be a big improvement imo.
  • ChiefGB 30 Dec 2018 14:32:52 9,919 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, this is the best version of ac gameplay. The controls are so much sharper and revised than ever and it makes a big difference with less canned animations or shorter ones at least. This really lets things flow so much better and you really feel in control the whole way, this also extends to the combat as well. Itís much faster than origins which was very clumsy and laboured to play for me.

After origins not quite living up the hype for me, from the first reveal this one looked more interesting and itís certainly working better for me so far.
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2018 15:46:05 6,927 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be honest it's more like the Witcher in ancient Greece than an Assassin's Creed game. Not a generally a massive fan of the series but I loved this.

Who'd have thought the best Assassin's Creed game would actually be the least assassiny game in the series...
  • Gunzberg 30 Dec 2018 15:51:14 2,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wrote a short review in the other thread, but took me about 101 hours to 100% it and do the first episode of the DLC. I look forward to more!

Also, it looks gorgeous on my X1X and Q9FN 4K TV.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Jan 2019 09:34:17 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm about 8 hours into this now, which is further than I've managed to get in any previous installment of the series (admittedly I skipped Origins). Rather good, isn't it? Previous games in the series have always made me feel incredibly stressed, due to the clunky controls and sense that combat is a total chore. Neither of those things seems to be true about Odyssey. Combat feels curiously reminiscent of The Witcher 3, which is a perfectly good thing as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, strange as it sounds, I've been finding this a curiously relaxing game to play in some ways. Exploration's fun and none of the stealth stuff has been too punishing so far. Doesn't half take some liberties with history, though (or at least with the setting)!
  • Frogofdoom 7 Jan 2019 17:00:05 11,264 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If anything the stealth is too easy so you won't need to worry about it becoming punishing.

I agree with it being relaxing, it's just a lovely place to explore.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Jan 2019 17:00:51 11,264 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gunzberg how was the dlc mate? I have been toying with grabbing it.
  • Derblington 7 Jan 2019 19:04:38 31,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím tempted to grab this now while itís on sale.
    I already have so much to play but I started last year with Origins and fancy doing the same with this.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 7 Jan 2019 19:14:34 1,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Where is it on sale?
  • Derblington 7 Jan 2019 19:33:54 31,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PSN.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 7 Jan 2019 20:20:03 1,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah, okay. I was aware of that, but not quite enough of a discount for me. Thought I'd missed a bargain.
    I just got origins anyway (probably the same sale), but I'll be grabbing this at some point for definite.
  • Gunzberg 7 Jan 2019 21:02:33 2,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Frogofdoom It's 2 pieces of DLC with 3 episodes each.

So far only episode 1 of the first DLC has been released but it took me a good 4-5 hours to complete and adds masses of new quests in Macedonia, totally enjoyed it. The story is less Greek Persians! Assassins! so adds some fresh themes.

I look forward to the next 5 episodes, there should be a new one every 6 weeks so Episode 2 should come out this month
  • erasr 7 Jan 2019 21:48:31 255 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On par with GoW for me. Iím past Athens and onto looking for my mother. Donít think thatís a spoiler.

One question though, at first it made sense defeating a side to start a conquest battle but now Iím confused as to which side Iím meant to be destroying in terms of forts and enemies. I wander past forts and leave them now, concentrating on the story. Shall I just dive into any fort and wipe them out?

Edited by erasr at 21:48:47 07-01-2019
  • Frogofdoom 7 Jan 2019 21:56:01 11,264 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @erasr doesn't matter, fight for whoever you feel like it.

Thanks gunz, I may well grab it as I'm not playing anything specific at the moment.
  • Scimarad 8 Jan 2019 20:09:53 9,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah I found that a bit of problem as well. There's not really any motivation to fight for either side so I've just not done any of the conquest stuff.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jan 2019 20:19:58 23,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Any mention of the ACIII remaster. I know it was part of the season pass, but have heard nowt more since release.

...just found out, March, if anyone is interested.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 20:21:24 08-01-2019
  • Gunzberg 8 Jan 2019 23:03:59 2,661 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @erasr Which side does not matter, the conquest battles are endless.

I skipped a lot of them, I got better gear elsewhere.
  • erasr 9 Jan 2019 00:36:57 255 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn conquest battles could have been done so much better. The first one I did I was like, wow.

Shame but the rest is awesome, so all good.

Iíve gone heavy on warrior and assassin. Almost skipper over hunter entirely.
  • erasr 9 Jan 2019 00:36:57 255 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn conquest battles could have been done so much better. The first one I did I was like, wow.

Shame but the rest is awesome, so all good.

Iíve gone heavy on warrior and assassin. Almost skipper over hunter entirely.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jan 2019 00:46:50 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, so, question...

I did Classics and Ancient History to MA level. My main area of focus was the late Roman Republic, but my secondary was the Peloponnesian War (the period covered by the game). I'm playing through this at the moment and am noticing some areas in which the attention to historical detail is really good and other areas in which it is horrible.

Interested in some thoughts? I'm nervous about this, because like every game released in 2018, AC:o has got caught up in the Culture Wars and I don't want to go there because said wars bore me.
  • Scimarad 9 Jan 2019 04:39:11 9,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Definitely interested.
  • elephantjuice 9 Jan 2019 22:46:54 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/ae2b8i/ac_odyssey_real_life_locations_comparison/
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jan 2019 10:13:35 23,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jebus, trying to get back into this after months away is proving more difficult than I imagined!
    Love the series, probably fav ever after Gears and Odyssey is excellent but even with that it is not clicking back in.
    I'm 10 hours in, lvl 11. Even thinking of starting again!

Also Odessa is a little tease! Kassandra is hot, what is up with her ;)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 10:19:27 13-01-2019
  • Tuffty 13 Jan 2019 12:55:31 4,261 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Geez these legendary animals may as well be Dark Souls bosses, complete with attack phases, summoning minions and everything. Cant afford to take too many hits either as you cant heal. Also doesn't seem like you can parry them and the attacks come so fast without warning that it feels like I'm getting hit unfairly and have it take about a third of my life bar down. Dunno, might come back to it after going up a few levels (the boar and are both LVL 13)

Edited by Tuffty at 13:12:28 13-01-2019
  • erasr 13 Jan 2019 17:32:05 255 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tuffty just keep pressing square at the same time as R1. Itís a bit of an amateur tactic but continuously dodging will ensure you barely get hit. You can dodge and attack at almost the same time with a bit of button bashing on those two.

Iím level 19 now. Given that Iíve never been an RPG gamer, thereís something impressive with this thatís hooking me in. I do think the slick presentation and hype feeling when levelling up is helping. Dark Souls and Bloodborne for me were too nerdy and text heavy in menus.

Feeling like a super strong goddess now. Just got past the doctor priest who had no tongue. How many more hours to finish main story?
  • Red_Bool 22 Jan 2019 13:37:55 1,726 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    erasr wrote:
    ...just keep pressing square at the same time as R1. Itís a bit of an amateur tactic but continuously dodging will ensure you barely get hit. You can dodge and attack at almost the same time with a bit of button bashing on those two. ...
    I'm level 15 and found out the "dodge & hit" trick by accident: I got in a button-bashing panic when I got surrounded and after a minute I realized I wasn't getting hit ;)
    It's working a bit too well, especially with quick weapons like daggers. I try to avoid (ab)using it, but in a pinch it comes in handy.

Awesome game, taking my time with it. I'm trying to remember the last game I played that made it so easy to get distracted from what you set out to do...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.