Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 25

• THFourteen 23 May 2019 20:19:10 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I found the boss battles way easier than the Witcher 2 or 3 tbh.
  • Reacher 23 May 2019 20:23:33 2,984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought this for £20, but after the first hour, knowing it's a long game and having waded through the treacle of the hour long typical AC tutorials to be told how to press circle, I just gave up. I can't be arsed with it at all.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2019 11:46:06
    Weird, I bought the deluxe version when it was on sale and am on some 109 hours, which I don't think I've played any game for since my mmorpg days. It gets the mix between rpg and adventure just right. Love it, and the last Atlantis DLC was excellent.

Tell you what though you really need to play the girl. My son has been playing the guy, and it's really crazy how much worse the voice acting is and how goofy the character looks.
  • gooner77 3 Jun 2019 08:49:26 1,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    I bought this for £20, but after the first hour, knowing it's a long game and having waded through the treacle of the hour long typical AC tutorials to be told how to press circle, I just gave up. I can't be arsed with it at all.
    This is exactly what happened to me. I loved AC Origins and spent 90 hours with it, but after 15 hours of Odyssey I lost my desire to play it.

Will give it another chance soon
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Jun 2019 08:57:10 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    Reacher wrote:
    This is exactly what happened to me. I loved AC Origins and spent 90 hours with it, but after 15 hours of Odyssey I lost my desire to play it.

Will give it another chance soon
    I'm in a similar boat. It took around 15 hours of stop-starting Origins to fall in live with it, after which I played it almost exclusively until completed. Love it.

I have had the Gold edition of Odyssey since release and maybe played 10-15 hours. I can see that it is great and is almost a huge DLC of Origins but as yet I have not gotten into it. I will try again soon.

The newer AC are so big as to be somewhat overbearing in what to do or where to go!
  • Red_Bool 3 Jun 2019 09:37:12 1,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It took me 76 hours to complete the main story in Odyssey and I'm still playing. At first I concentrated on the story and I got into my usual sidequest sidetracking. After a while I thought "let's finish the story and be done with it". But then a lot of the sidequests are so good that I got sidetracked again :)

I 'accidentally' completed the main story while I was hunting Cult members. "Only" need to take down five now. And there's the Atlantis quest I want to finish (only one more artifact, but I've already read that that will be a challenge).

So yeah, it's big but when the content is this good, I'm not complaining. By comparison, AC:Unity was also "big" but there I could not be bothered with anything except the main story. With Odyssey it is almost the other way round.
  • BOFH_UK 3 Jun 2019 15:34:58 231 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So after getting seriously hooked by this game I hit a rock solid, six mile deep brick wall last night. The main story is done, cultists have all received a damn good stabbing, the ship's at legendary across the board (minus the silly very top tier upgrades), mythological beasts have been slain and my armour is literally dripping molten metal. Right, time for a little DLC action. Legacy of the First Blade here we go...

Now I'll avoid spoilers here as much as I can but suffice to say my Kassandra was a friendly sort who empathized with the downtrodden and didn't see anything wrong with using pointy things on bad people. It was therefore quite entertaining to hear a main character suggest not all problems can be solved with violence. 70+ hours in game suggest otherwise! And then... and then the end of Chapter 2 happened.

If you want to know the details go look up the controversy over this DLC pack but wow whoever okayed the script for this one needs a serious talking to. It's ludicrously heavy handed (doubly so when playing as Kassandra) and despite avoiding the path it clearly wanted me to take I got forced into the plot it wanted anyway. More to the point that direction is so far away from how she's been portrayed to this point I was suspecting I'd forgotten a quest where suspicious brownies were consumed.

Anyway, from what I've heard the second DLC is far better so power through this just to get rid of the quest markers and hope things get better. Have to say though I took a break from AC for a while after bouncing off Unity and skipped Origins entirely after playing all bar AC3 previously. Think from now on I just pick up an AC game if the setting is particularly appealing to try and avoid getting burnt out.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2019 19:14:45
    The other DLC railroads you to a particular conclusion also.

While the ability to make choices makes the game more interesting, it's superficial throughout, and has a pretty limited impact on any storyline conclusions. If you think of the main game, it's not much better, with the impact really only being how many people are left to eat dinner with you. It's a pity, I hope future instalments in the series go further, as it's becoming an RPG-lite and really needs a better level of involvement.

The Atlantis DLC however offers a new map, new enemies, powered up abilities and much better xp and ability point rewards. It's a great piece of DLC, regardless of the issue mentioned above.
  • Fonzie 3 Jun 2019 21:37:17 3,400 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I haven't got the dlc but have spent 109 hours with this game now. I've still got loads to do and am currently at the medusa fight. There is just so much to explore and it can look fantastic at times. I think I'm getting towards the end of the main story but just find myself getting distracted and wandering off to see what the nearest "?" On the map is.
  • ozthegweat 31 Aug 2019 17:17:33 2,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought I would have enough of this massive game after completing (and platinuming) it, but I immediately bought the Season Pass.

First DLC and first episode of second DLC done. Simply terrific.
  • cov 31 Aug 2019 17:32:33 2,261 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Had similar experience played for 15-20 hours and drifted away to other games - came back and 135hr in - phenomenal game but it takes its time to click.

I loved the writing in dlc one ... horses for courses (and bearing in mind idea of free will is very at odds with the whole concept of this series). Just stsrted dlc 2 and even better

Some of the best story telling and rounded characters (esp kassandra) in gaming for me. Lovelt moments of humour too
  • ozthegweat 31 Aug 2019 20:58:46 2,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now that you mention it, it was the same for me. Played for about 10 hours then left it alone for about half a year.

Yeah, I don't quite get why people get so upset about that DLC. The main quest arcs also have their set storyline that you have to follow and you can only influence in a small way... every RPG forces you into certain directions.

Edited by ozthegweat at 21:00:40 31-08-2019
  • erasr 31 Aug 2019 22:37:48 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same here too but played for 30 hours then left it.

Now back on it, 60 ish hours, at level 30. I have no idea if Iím near the end or not.

Can someone tell me... Iíve just passed the bit where you meet father underwater in Atlantis, although heís asked me to find the fragments so I can open up Atlantis (I think thatís it
  • chrisno21 31 Aug 2019 22:50:17 2,291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It goes on for what feels like forever... I think you have a good amount left still, but definitely over the halfway hill.

I played all the dlc and it took about 165 hours according to the clock. It's massive.

Edited by chrisno21 at 22:51:18 31-08-2019
  • erasr 31 Aug 2019 23:15:04 426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I literally thought I was near the end 😂
    Over the halfway point?! Oh my.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Oct 2019 18:53:58 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This game is too feckin big. I love AC and thought Origins was a great new chapter, although I do love the older games (Bro,Syndicate and BF are favs) sans trailing missions.

Anyway back to this. I'm 60 odd hours in and just completed sequence 6 at level 27 playing on easy (that's right, easy, deal with it ;) ) in trying not to get burn out but without the mtx, of which I have not bought,the fatigue is real.

Wanted to beat before Outer Worlds, not sure I will though.

Edit: just looking above posts 're hours. I have a EGer on the Ubi app thing that is at 256 hours!

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 18:56:19 13-10-2019
  • ChiefGB 13 Oct 2019 19:01:50 12,490 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now funnily enough I chose this afternoon to come back to this. Itís hard work to come back to. It looks lovely but the load times are horrific and the combat is pretty pants really. Proving to be rather frustrating when the random encounters kick in as well and you end up hideously outnumbered.
  • robthehermit 13 Oct 2019 20:07:35 7,738 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Is it me? I know I spent aaaaages on it.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Oct 2019 20:12:20 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @robthehermit
    It might well be mate.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Oct 2019 21:35:37 3,259 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yea it is the biggest open world i have played. I rinsed everything i could from it including DLC. I thought Kassandra was a great character as were a couple if the supporting ones. Combat was fun too. Dunno I just didnt want leave the world. Didn't realise outer worlds is released soon - will put that on my list.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 21:36:08 13-10-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Oct 2019 21:53:53 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looking forward to the next AC being co-op, as long as not teatherd like FC5
  • Huggybear 14 Oct 2019 08:29:28 1,735 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I completed the three main quest lines and a whole lot of other stuff in about 70 hours and loved it, then I tried the first Fate of the Atlantis DLC and gave up soon after getting to the other realm... the story is just complete horse shit, and does anyone care at all about the modern-day characters?
  • ChiefGB 14 Oct 2019 12:18:18 12,490 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Warmed up to the game in the end yesterday, once I was back in the groove, still feel the combat is a bit trashy, still in love with Kassandra 🤣🤣
  • pacrifice 14 Oct 2019 12:18:20 5,242 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Long crap game. Assassin's not what it used to be.

I played this for something like 2 months, at level 40 and I think I was halfway through the game - stopped as needed a break. Think that was March.

Grinding grinding grinding, a short story padded out over 100 hours "gameplay" length.

Not keen to resume. If the next gen assassin's is the same formula as odyssey or origins (again short story padded out over 50 hours), I don't care how shiny the graphics are or how much ray tracing rays, I'm not bothering with that.

Sorry, I'm not normally this negative but what a crap game.
  • ChiefGB 14 Oct 2019 12:19:55 12,490 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ubisoft Seem stuck in a rut, that said wd3 May break them out of it a bit, until they copy and paste all the good things out of that as well.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Oct 2019 12:57:51 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @pacrifice
    I think it is such a shame that Syndicate often gets overlooked, coming a mere 11 months are the feck up that was (Unity, which I actually liked and still play a bit) it is a great game and the world is sublime and not too bloody big.

As history tells up, this is the (one of the main) reason Ubi changed up the gameplay and why we now have quasi-RPG's. As I mentioned I loved Origins, although it took many hours to get into. I also like Odyssey but I can agree with the padding. I think it is unlikely Ubi will go back to the previous style of games, at least in the AC series.

@Chief, yes Kassy is hot ;)
  • Derblington 14 Oct 2019 13:07:21 33,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of Odyssey after really enjoying Origins. The additions aren't meaningful and there's too much of everything. Origins was already huge, Odyssey is almost grotesque in size and it's mostly all just repetition.

I also stopped to play something else and that was probably 5 games ago.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Oct 2019 13:13:41 4,240 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @pacrifice

the game was levelled gate to either grind for levels or pay for XP booster
  • cov 14 Oct 2019 13:15:40 2,261 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I wonder if some of this is down to which main character you choose not just personal preference
  • cov 14 Oct 2019 13:16:00 2,261 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kassandra for me btw

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.