Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 28

• MadCaddy13 21 May 2020 10:26:23 3,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 @Frogofdoom Thanks, I guess I'll go with her then. I thought there might be some story or gameplay differences but it seems pretty straightforward
    I think I've seen EG say Kass is one of the best AC leads too. Almost feel sorry for the male protag, no one seems to mention him
    I think itís because itís Ďnot coolí or Ďnot wokeí to play the male protag so people who play him donít mention it

Edited by MadCaddy13 at 10:26:47 21-05-2020
  • HelloNo 21 May 2020 11:31:56 2,191 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The poor oppressed Alexios players ;)
  • PazJohnMitch 21 May 2020 14:16:32 15,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kassandra was the only logical choice.
  • Tuffty 21 May 2020 14:19:21 4,547 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    Does anyone feel that these games could be improved by completely removing the modern sections and making them exclusively historical fiction based?
    Absolutely 100% yes. Desmonds story was originally planned as a trilogy, which extended into 5 games and the modern story has trailed so far off the rails beyond an Assassins v Templars plot it's awful. Even the points in the main story where theres some crossover as they discover the First civilisation stuff is so boring. The worst parts about any of the games since Black Flag have been the times when they kick you out into the modern world, as brief as they are.

And yet theres a large contingent that not only want more of it, they want Desmond back and all. I see people talking about how they don't like the modern games because it doesnt follow the rules of how the animus works and I just tune out completely. It really does feel like that whole modern aspect needs a complete reboot at least if not stripped away completely.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 May 2020 14:21:23 15,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The modern stuff is just shit. Kind of liked that Odyssey seemed to have a ďfuck this I am going straight back inĒ option when it pulled you out.
  • Robospud 21 May 2020 14:41:17 129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The modern stuff is a good enough explanation for them to jump around different locations and time periods while maintaining some coherence. Why does this game set in revolutionary Paris also allow me to climb the Eiffel tower which was built many decades later? Because animus. Job done. I like it as a clever device that lets them do stuff like that, but it never needed to be anything more in my opinion.

My favourite modern section was Black Flag where they dumped a lot of the baggage and put you in a company that was researching using the animus as an entertainment device and there was a lot of self deprecating fourth wall breaking humour in there.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 11:49:28 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I may have to put this to bed.
    Over 120 hours in and I still have so much to do. I have completed the story but have several chunks of the dlc's to do (have Gold edition)

I just thought I had found a major (mythical) character on the isle of Lesbos only to find out I have to visit another island and do some tasks, missions to acquire a key and then return...

Bloody hell game, I'm lvl 57 have unlocked nearly if not all vantage points, defogged the world (cheveo didn't pop though) etc and that is still not good enough for you.

Likely to be the only Creed game that I have not completed all dlc. It really is just too big.
  • Globalmeltdown 28 May 2020 11:52:11 809 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I hit a wall with this too, didnít play it for about 3 months but back on again now and on the last bit of DLC, have a break from it Duff then come back in a few months.
  • papalazar0u 28 May 2020 11:54:52 171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown i did exactly the same and have really enjoyed returning to it. Just about completed the first DLC then on to the FOA, which i've heard is really good and a little different.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2020 12:01:14 26,042 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown

You are probably right mate.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 28 May 2020 12:38:55 3,957 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I finished the main game and did pretty mich anything 'unique' around the whole map, also the first DLC campaign. Started the FoA but had played too much so switched over to sometbing else for a while. It seemed interesting but had overkilled the game. I had a similar problem towards the end of Yakuza 5 where I didn't 100% quite as much as I normally do on the series after 100 hours in it. I will go back to it one day and finish it off.
  • gooner77 28 May 2020 13:19:31 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I recently got back to this after the Valhalla trailer was released. Really enjoyed exploring ancient Greece and would love to go back there when Lockdown finishes.

I went to Kefalonia in 2001 and really liked it there

Have amassed another 25 hours of playtime in the last 2 weeks but recently have become distracted by my new PSVR kit.

I still have until October ....should be OK.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 May 2020 13:19:59 15,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

There is a little tiny island that does not have anything of note on that is one of the territories that you need to walk on to trigger the Trophy / Achievement.

Think it is on the southern coast of one of the Islands in the North East. (Not Lesbos but the big island south of it). And begins with K.

It is very hard to see that it is still grey.

This is the one I missed.
  • gooner77 28 May 2020 18:27:25 1,491 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kos or Keos ?
  • PazJohnMitch 28 May 2020 21:48:08 15,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The tiny islandís name is Kradia and is next to Samos.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jul 2020 15:07:27 23,984 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey, so this is on sale and I am thinking about getting it. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, but I need something giant right now and this fits the bill.

One question, though: I've heard bad things about microtransactions. Are they bad in this? Will I need to pony up more money to progress without grinding? Or is it mostly just a cosmetic thing?
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jul 2020 15:19:14 20,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Hey, so this is on sale and I am thinking about getting it. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, but I need something giant right now and this fits the bill.

One question, though: I've heard bad things about microtransactions. Are they bad in this? Will I need to pony up more money to progress without grinding? Or is it mostly just a cosmetic thing?

Purely cosmetic man, Ubisoft have been pretty good in this regard. The only grind is the game being overly long so makes you grind for what seems like an eternity to continue the main plot.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jul 2020 15:24:19 23,984 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the game looks like absolute junk food to me, that's probably the main reason why I usually steer clear of open world games - Ubisoft ones in particular.

But I'm in the mood for that kind of thing right now, so yeah... I'll probably pick it up. Any beginner's tips?
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jul 2020 15:28:59 20,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah the game looks like absolute junk food to me, that's probably the main reason why I usually steer clear of open world games - Ubisoft ones in particular.

But I'm in the mood for that kind of thing right now, so yeah... I'll probably pick it up. Any beginner's tips?
    In it's defence this game is immediately accessible and is the most 'videogamey' of the series. No real beginners tips tbh as the game is never overly challenging, it's meant to be completed so there's no increasing sense of challenge as it were it's more for immersing yourself in the massive world they've made, it is fucking huge.

Actually I would recommend unlocking fast travel points, as many as you can really as the enormity of the game world can work against you if you're flitting between quests that the game just throws at you.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:31:03 30-07-2020
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jul 2020 15:33:26 23,984 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alright then, sounds good enough for me! I look forward to thoroughly engorging myself (then probably burning out in 40 hours or so).
  • Blancrabello 30 Jul 2020 22:56:03 32 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Alright then, sounds good enough for me! I look forward to thoroughly engorging myself (then probably burning out in 40 hours or so).
    I reckon it took me about 40 hours just to open the map. Still sunk 100+ hours into it! Really easy to just pick up and explore.
  • HelloNo 30 Jul 2020 23:45:14 2,191 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As for tips: get at least the first level of the healing ability, try and balance the main story lines and if you find yourself really enjoying it consider getting the Atlantis DLC!
  • crashVoodoo 31 Jul 2020 00:42:48 6,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    skip most of side stuff unless it has a yellow XP symbol, these have a large xp reward. other stuff is just filler & you'll burn out before you get anywhere.
    mainline the story a bit until you get to the 'secret meeting' as it opens up something
    dont bother fucking about with the blacksmith, you change loot too often
    don't skip euboea. no main missions here but an interesting side quest
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Jul 2020 06:31:41 20,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Alright then, sounds good enough for me! I look forward to thoroughly engorging myself...
    Iím not sure thatís what you meant.
  • papalazar0u 31 Jul 2020 06:46:21 171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Iíd never really got into the AC series, played the first couple a bit but wasnít that fussed, decided to try this and loved it. Iíve put well over 100 hrs in and like others have said, felt no need at all to spend money in game.

There was some fuss when it came out about level boosters to beat the level grind/story progression somewhere around Lvl 25 but I genuinely didnít notice it, maybe because I found the side missions interesting so was prepared to divert from the main story.

One of my favourite games this generation and remember to choose Kassandra. Enjoy!
  • monkman76 31 Jul 2020 06:46:52 16,158 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why not? I assume he means as in eating too much, figuratively of course.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jul 2020 07:10:00 23,984 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Alright then, sounds good enough for me! I look forward to thoroughly engorging myself...
    Iím not sure thatís what you meant.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'd be playing this with one hand.
  • creepiest-lizard 31 Jul 2020 07:19:25 1,403 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76
    Well, gorging is eating. Engorging would be..something else.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jul 2020 07:29:57 23,984 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure I can manage both
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 07:35:39 15,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I played the game on hard and at no point did I feel the need to gain levels as the world levels with you. In fact I actively avoided missions with large XP boosts as they would essentially level up the world and devalue all your equipment. (Especially if you have levelled up so quickly that you can not afford to upgrade your stuff).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.