Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch
    Levels/Levelled
    ;)
  • crashVoodoo 31 Jul 2020 09:35:27 6,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I still haven't finished it. I'm on the middle of the map, just come out of Athens. There must be 15-20 islands I'm still nowhere near yet

The one thing I don't like about it is the hard switch (LB+Down iirc) between equipped skills, it's just cumbersome.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 09:40:32 31-07-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 09:57:49 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I specced Kassandra to essentially have a stealth set and a fight set of skills. So did not need to switch regularly.
  • crashVoodoo 31 Jul 2020 10:19:25 6,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I specced Kassandra to essentially have a stealth set and a fight set of skills. So did not need to switch regularly.
    Interesting idea
  • Mola_Ram 1 Aug 2020 09:16:07 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the tips all, I've just started it.

I see what people mean about it being very "gamey". I don't know how immersive they're trying to make it, but generally messages like "XP GAIN INCREASED FOR THE NEXT TWO HOURS!" has the effect of crashing you back into reality. That and the very conspicuous STORE section of the pause menu.

Anyway, that's all fine, I don't plan to buy anything. I chose Kassandra (I'm assuming that there's not much difference between her and the other avatar), and am going to get stuck into bandit killing.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Aug 2020 09:17:14 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and I'm very glad that I can turn off guiding arrows and - especially - icons on the map. That should help me immensely in not getting too burned out.
  • dfunked09 1 Aug 2020 10:55:26 28 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Anyway, that's all fine, I don't plan to buy anything. I chose Kassandra (I'm assuming that there's not much difference between her and the other avatar), and am going to get stuck into bandit killing.
    You chose correctly. From a gameplay perspective there's no real difference, but Alexios' performance is nowhere near as good as Kassandra's. She's easily my favourite main character since Ezio.

Edited by dfunked09 at 10:56:36 01-08-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Aug 2020 11:49:35 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dfunked09
    I think she is actually my favourite, just brilliant.
  • ozthegweat 1 Aug 2020 12:31:02 2,536 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    HookJaw wrote:
    Does anyone feel that these games could be improved by completely removing the modern sections and making them exclusively historical fiction based?
    Absolutely 100% yes. Desmonds story was originally planned as a trilogy, which extended into 5 games and the modern story has trailed so far off the rails beyond an Assassins v Templars plot it's awful. Even the points in the main story where theres some crossover as they discover the First civilisation stuff is so boring. The worst parts about any of the games since Black Flag have been the times when they kick you out into the modern world, as brief as they are.

And yet theres a large contingent that not only want more of it, they want Desmond back and all. I see people talking about how they don't like the modern games because it doesnt follow the rules of how the animus works and I just tune out completely. It really does feel like that whole modern aspect needs a complete reboot at least if not stripped away completely.
    I think the main problem is that the game pulls you out of one game and forces you to play another game. I got annoyed every time I had to play as Bayek's wife in AC Origins when I really wanted to continue the main game. I really like the modern day stuff from a story perspective, but not from the "here's a section you must play right now or we won't let you back to the game you were playing" perspective.

A stealth-focused, modern-day-only AC game with Kayla and bleed-through (or whatever they call Animus users over time being able to use Eagle sense etc.) Assassin abilites would be an insta-buy for me.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Aug 2020 16:10:56 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just rinsed the first island of quests and things to do. Thoughts:

-The graphics sure are purty

-I appreciate the lack (so far) of "collect x things" quests. The quests on offer haven't exactly been deep or anything, but it feels like they've put at least a bit of effort into them. And some (like the blood plague quest) feel like they could have repercussions down the road.

-I also appreciate the "auto-follow road to destination" feature the horse has. And the falcon too, even though it seems to spot things that it really shouldn't be able to see.

-I do not appreciate level scaling on enemies, on quests, or on equipment. It makes everything feel samey; I much prefer worlds with dangerous places that you should stay away from, but with great rewards if you decide to risk it.

-Speaking of equipment... ugh. There's just nothing exciting about it. Oooh I got a new dress that increases my weapon damage by four whole percentage points, BE STILL MY BEATING HEART. Hopefully it will improve - I want to find cool things!

None of the moans are exclusive to this game, of course. I just wish that we'd gotten past them by now.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Aug 2020 16:31:06 16,587 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is cool equipment but its at the highest rarity level if I remember correctly. I hung onto one blade for ages because of an ability on it.

There are also non scaled enemies who will ruin you, but they aren't on the starter island i think.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:31:57 02-08-2020
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Aug 2020 17:30:24 3,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, the sheer amount of equipment was one of my major annoyances with this. Hated it is other games like Tales of Zesteria/Berseria and Anthem too. So dull spending so much time on menu screens filtering the crap. I still enjoyed the game overall and cleared nost of the map and all of the 'fixed' quests and viewpoints etc. Not gone back to finish the FoA DLC yet though as was burned out.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Aug 2020 17:45:52 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I pretty much used a weapon and armour set that increased fire damage and fire duration. (And my spare weapon reduced the cost of her ultra combo).

As long as the fight has away from water Kassandra was practically untouchable.
  • crashVoodoo 3 Aug 2020 09:02:11 6,680 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I find/found I spent most of my time lighting my own ass on fire so went poison instead

I have a lot of yellow set pieces that stack poison and some lethal daggers that are stupid quick. Reckon when I do venture back I'll just keep upgrading that every 5-10 levels
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2020 09:08:49 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I do appreciate the option of upgrading your tat, rather than always having to replace it with new tat. And the pickings are slim for cool equipment right now, but it sounds like that might improve.

To be fair, Baldur's Gate is pretty much the only pure RPG that I think does equipment well. So it's not really a moan specific to this game, it's a very common issue.
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Aug 2020 09:59:33 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Essentially you should just keep replacing equipment up until you get gold items.

Possibly upgrade a purple early on but for the most part just hold out to gold.

Then when you have a full gold set you like upgrade that. (Also note all gold armour in a set is upgraded automatically to the level of the final piece when you complete the set).
  • FoxMoody 3 Aug 2020 10:20:34 21 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Trying to wrap it up for ages now. Guess I just grew bored of all the question marks, forts and caves to clear.
    Story is interesting tho and it might be only thing making me push foward.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Aug 2020 10:48:37 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just did the Wolf of Sparta story quest.

Fucking hell, there's a fair few systems in this game aren't there. Recruiting people for your crew, mercenaries hunting you, the conquest stuff, and no doubt a lot more that I haven't gotten to yet.

There's so much that I think all the potential faffing might hurt the story a bit. Just now the captain guy told me that, as a direct consequence of my actions, my home for the last decade or two has been wracked with the plague. Which in another game might make me feel really bad or something, or lead to some interesting moral conundrums, but it was over pretty quickly and OMG THERE'S A TIMED BOUNTY ON SOME BANDITS OVER THERE GO GO GO.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Aug 2020 10:58:02 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram
    I think when I completed the main story I had about 50 quests (admittedly a lot of fetch style quests in there) on my to do list and had not visited all the Islands in the game...I still have to complete some of the dlc and still have so much to do.
    I love the series and LOVE Kass but I have to have a break for a month or so every couple of weeks or it just becomes too much.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 11:00:28 19,988 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is why I feel they need to go for more detail as opposed to a bigger map for each iteration, I believe the new AC is still stupidly big. I would hope the proper next gen AC goes away from that way of thinking.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:12:34 05-08-2020
  • Mola_Ram 5 Aug 2020 11:04:19 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With some exceptions (Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild), I think I prefer smaller worlds too. The world in the Yakuza games could probably fit in just one of the regions in this one, but the Yakuza world is absurdly detailed and dense. That feels better in general to me, and I don't have to dedicate my life to it either.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Aug 2020 11:12:45 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    This is why I feel they need to go for more detail as opposed to a bigger map for each iteration, I believe the new AC is still stupidly big. I would hope the proper next gen AC goes with that way of thinking.
    Indeed I want to say Unity (Great map) and Syndicate got it right.
    Must admit feel a little uneasy supporting Ubi at the moment. They have always been one of my fav but a lot of very bad stuff is coming out about them and their practices.

It reminds me of a many discussions I have had with several mates about any artist they totally look up to and what would they do if the artist was found to have a very serious flaw. Would they still support them?

The main one being a friend who was a MJ fanatic and would not accept anything negative about him. That changed a few years ago. He does still have his music in his collection however. I also have Thriller and Off The Wall.
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Aug 2020 11:13:14 15,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is not the size but the repetition that is an issue for me.

A game of Odyssey’s size would be awesome if every bandit camp was unique.

Odyssey would also be great if it was shrunk down in size until there was only one of each bandit camp type.

The problem for me is the “I have already done this” feeling. BotW avoided that by not having anything be a direct copy. Sure there were things that were very similar but it never seemed to give you the exact same thing but in a different place.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Aug 2020 11:14:35 19,988 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Yeah...I'm feeling some unease about supporting them tbh because it seems endemic within the culture of the whole company. I fail to believe the CEO was unaware of what was going on.
  • robthehermit 5 Aug 2020 11:49:47 7,810 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The stuff coming out of Ubi is obviously concerning, but that shouldn't detract from the the work done by the vast majority of the employees who have done nothing wrong, and a quick google suggests that 15 studios and upwards of 1000 people worked on it. It's the same with films etc. Take Kevin Spacey as an example, should I not watch the utterly brilliant K-Pax because Kevin is a twat - Jeff Bridges hasn't done anything wrong etc. It's a slightly easier reconciliation when the works are credited (rightly or wrongly) to a single artist such as MJ etc, but to boycott or ignore content created by large groups of people because of the actions of a few raises issues of its own.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2020 10:33:10 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, a couple of questions...

Does the present-day stuff actually matter? I just had a sequence where I logged out of the simulation and got to read (skim through) a bunch of emails, and it felt like there were a lot of references there that I would only understand by playing earlier games in the series. I'm not planning on doing that, so should I look up a summary or something? Or not bother?

And how do I get more wood? I need a lot to upgrade my ship (love the naval combat in this), but I don't really know where to go for it aside from stealing it from forts or random trees.

Also, what the fuck is up with this stupid legendary boar? I've stabbed the thing hundreds of times, but he just summons hundreds of friends and I get fucked by them. It's really infuriating - I'm not underlevelled for it or anything, but it feels like I'm doing something wrong.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Aug 2020 10:35:31 25,598 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1. No, it never has.

2. There's pills you can get. They used to be prescription but you can get them in the chemist now. Not sure how it works in Aus.

3. I don't know.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2020 10:36:56 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks Decks, I'll dedicate my new, enhanced erection to you.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Aug 2020 10:48:46 3,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    From what I recall you get wood from chopping trees in the overworld and I think you get some from beating ships in combat. Not sure if castle chests have any... I usually just upgraded what I could early on (prioritised defense and the ram) and then just checking every now and again if I had enough for more upgrades as I progressed naturally through the game.

As for the boar I think it was just a matter of balancing your skills and trying to kill it fast but I possibly had someone accidentally enter the fray and join in on that fight (if that was the first legendary beast) which helped a lot. I did kill them all though in the end and no particularly special skills were needed over normal combat just a lot of evading amd attacking when you can (and remembering that your bow builds up skill power too even if damage is minimal). I didn't even have multiple skill sets saved for situations just one jack of all trades skill set where I generally used about 4 abities.
  • robthehermit 7 Aug 2020 11:05:39 7,810 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think I gave up on the boar fight and came back later when I was overlevelled.

From a guide somewhere on the internets:

Before you go charging into the fight, make sure you’ve got all the right abilities equipped. As always, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got Second Wind equipped. This is your healing ability, and it’ll definitely save you in a pinch. Next, it might also be a good idea to grab the stun ability, as well as the Fire or Poison DoT ability for extra damage. Once you’re ready, go ahead and hunt the Boar.

The Kalydonian Boar itself has a pretty straightforward move set in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. It has a charge attack that you can dodge easily by moving left or right, and it can also use its head to try to swipe at you. Generally, you’ll want to try to stick to its side or back to avoid its attacks, and just keep wailing away at it. Apply the Fire or Poison debuff as often as you can to chunk down its health faster.

After you’ve gotten its health down a little, the Kalydonian Boar will summon tinier boars to join the fight. At this point, focus on its minions and be careful not to get stunlocked to death. This is where your stun/flashbang ability comes in handy. It’ll stun all the boars in your immediate vicinity, giving you a chance to kill them before they can hurt you. After you’ve dispatched them, turn your focus back to the Kalydonian Boar.

These two phases will repeat over the course of the fight with no other mechanics to take note of, so you should be able to take it down fairly quickly if you’re careful.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.