Assassin's Creed Odyssey Page 4

• robthehermit 29 Sep 2018 23:27:47 7,738 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because some streamer found it highly amusing, then The Sun picked it up and now it seems that everyone else has.
  • Tuffty 1 Oct 2018 13:34:06 4,511 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Review embargo is up getting a Recommended from EG. Games radar says it's the best RPG since The Witcher 3. I just can't play it right now, too many games plus Red Dead incoming, but will be very appreciated to dig into over Christmas!
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Oct 2018 13:55:17 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tuffty
    Good stuff
    My "Gold" copy has been dispatched, so I should get tomorrow :)
  • Big-Swiss 1 Oct 2018 14:04:18 9,410 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I will get mine tomorriw as well.

My tactic is to Play as much of it as I can until Red Dead will be out.
    With a bit of luck I might manage to finish it on time.
  • Ror 1 Oct 2018 14:35:14 20,080 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argh, I really want to get this, but I can't really justify it yet with an unplayed copy of Oranges sitting on the shelf. I think I'll play that after I finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider, because I reckon if I play Odyssey first, I'll never go back.

I still haven't finished Syndicate, come to think of it. I took a massive break from the series after Brotherhood (which, along with AC2 I absolutely loved), but I just couldn't be arsed with another Ezio game after that. So I just stopped playing them. Then they announced one set in London, which I'd been wanting since the series started.

The year Syndicate was due out, I decided to catch up. I youtubed Revelations, then played 3, Black Flag, Rogue and Unity pretty much back-to-back. Enjoyed 3 more than I thought I would, really liked Black Flag, and absolutely loved Unity. Rogue was utter, utter balls. I actually genuinely hate that fucking game.

And then Syndicate came out and unfortunately bored the ever-living piss out of me :( I played about eight hours and never went back. A mate got me Origins for my birthday this year, and I was unsure whether I'd even play it or not, to be honest. I guess if I play it now, Odyssey will be twenty snots by the time I'm done :)
  • samharper 1 Oct 2018 14:37:53 1,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was interested until they used the fact it's over 100 hours long for marketing and it's amazing how quickly that turned me off. I can't see this as more than a reskin of Oranges which I'm still playing.
  • Syrette 1 Oct 2018 14:53:39 50,596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    samharper wrote:
    I can't see this as more than a reskin of Oranges which I'm still playing.
    Seems an unfair criticism, based on the reviews I've read...
  • MrFlay 1 Oct 2018 15:06:35 4,473 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Ror

Origins is really good. Give it a try. If you have gamer OCD, you'll love it.
  • Frogofdoom 1 Oct 2018 15:09:47 16,417 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's a fair criticism, it adds a few new elements but it's doesn't reinvent the wheel. I loved origins though so I'm happy with that.

For someone who hasn't finished origins they are better off doing that and grabbing this when it's £30 in a black Friday deal.
  • Ror 1 Oct 2018 15:17:58 20,080 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MrFlay Cheers, yeah, I'll bump it up to next game on the list. I do like the look of it, but the setting of Odyssey, as well as the fact that it seems to have become a full-blown RPG appeals to me more. That's why I think if I don't play Origins first, I'll likely never go back to it.
  • HarryPalmer 1 Oct 2018 15:31:44 6,129 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Absolutely detest the traditional Ass Creed formula after absolutely loving 1 & 2 it went off a cliff. Black flag was clearly good fun but all the busy work killed it for me. Picked up Syndicate and really didn't like it, the world felt nothing like London at it was still full of busy work. Plus the writing is absolutely abysmal in every single one!

Origins is very good though (shonky writing aside), and although the fatigue has set in long before the end I am also tempted by Odyssey. It looks like a proper RPG.
  • Farley2k 1 Oct 2018 17:16:16 240 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Review embargo seems to have lifted!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

https://youtu.be/HjY9s3UsFUg

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Review - The Final Verdict

https://youtu.be/C98mW2k4hN4
  • wuntyate 1 Oct 2018 17:24:09 14,658 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmph. I have a LOT of AC I wanted to play before I got this... But it looks really ruddy good.

Damn.
  • ZuluHero 1 Oct 2018 17:47:06 8,729 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm going straight onto Oddessy. The last games in the series I played was Black Flag & Rogue.

Can't wait to play it. Was watching Jason and the Argonauts the other week and was getting really excited for it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Oct 2018 17:51:58 24,907 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah haven't played one since Black Flag but very tempted with this due to the setting. Is the combat still the same?
  • Frogofdoom 1 Oct 2018 18:33:15 16,417 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the same as origins but more refined and significantly different to all the ones before. It's a little bit light feeling but much better than a lot of games of its type.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 18:33:38 01-10-2018
  • Tuffty 1 Oct 2018 20:05:16 4,511 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah haven't played one since Black Flag but very tempted with this due to the setting. Is the combat still the same?
    The combat isn't the same as Black Flag if that's what you mean. Origin's revamped the combat into something more akin to Dark Souls, it's hitbox based, blocking or dodging at the right moment and striking back. If you're played a Souls game before than you'll be grand, combat in Origins was pretty good if not spectacular, but of the reviews I've read so far they say Odyssey refines upon it and it's a little more inventive thanks to these new combat skills you can unlock which you didn't get in Origins.
  • mothercruncher 1 Oct 2018 20:14:16 17,734 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I enjoyed Black Flag more than any other and rinsed it to death but am thoroughly burnt out on, well, most open world Ubi games now.
    However, Iím a natural fucking Spartan in every way s, if they e truly revamped the awful combat to be more Souls-like, Iíll grab this
    when itís cheap because the combat wonít be that good, it just wonít.
  • Bernord 1 Oct 2018 20:17:57 6 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Even though they are always using the same pattern for the game, i do love the extra stuff, like upgrading buildings if there's an option, upgrading really anything. Getting income. And the graphics with the story, love that.

You can grind through the boring stuff just for the gems in this game, that's what i love about the series :>
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Oct 2018 20:24:06 24,907 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    The combat isn't the same as Black Flag if that's what you mean. Origin's revamped the combat into something more akin to Dark Souls, it's hitbox based, blocking or dodging at the right moment and striking back. If you're played a Souls game before than you'll be grand, combat in Origins was pretty good if not spectacular, but of the reviews I've read so far they say Odyssey refines upon it and it's a little more inventive thanks to these new combat skills you can unlock which you didn't get in Origins.
    A lot more interested after hearing that.
  • monkman76 1 Oct 2018 21:24:34 16,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was very interested reading the review until I got to the part about how long it is. I've never played an assassin's creed game and thought, I wish this was *longer*.
  • RelaxedMikki 1 Oct 2018 23:02:25 3,214 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Decks

Combat in Origins was a pretty wonky version of Dark Souls. Same style, but a lot jankier. I seem to remember the animations didn't seem to flow together properly.

It was the kind of combat that was easy (and boring) to cheese, but frustrating and imprecise to try and play skillfully.
  • ZuluHero 1 Oct 2018 23:12:35 8,729 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Even so, all this talk of dark souls-lite combat (even if it is a bit janky) is also making me more interested.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Oct 2018 23:16:20 24,907 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think anything other than Assassin's Creed combat is a huge bonus.
  • andy10 1 Oct 2018 23:32:05 325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm looking forward to Odyssey - I'm sure it'll take me a year or so to finish but the setting looks great.

The one thing from reviews that may potentially disappoint me is the sheer quantity of assassination targets. I like the fact Origins pared it back to a small number of named targets who you had to do your research on.

It seemed like a throwback to the first Assassin's Creed - probably still my favourite, because I'm weird like that. I felt invested in each target because of the work you had to put in (my goodness, did you have to WORK), but it made each target more memorable. I'll never forget the sadistic doctor guy, touring his clinic as I stalked him from the rafters and waited for the right moment. Or the guy in the town square who goes all like "Rarrrr!" and starts slicing up an innocent guy for some reason and you're like "Whoah this man is a bad man" (ok, maybe I have forgotten the finer details a bit). I hope Odyssey makes me care about each hit, rather than just feeling I'm doing the assassiny rounds.
  • andy10 1 Oct 2018 23:47:47 325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and Altair may have had the charisma of a damp teatowel but at least he wasn't some lecherous playboy, subpar Johnny Depp or cockney cheeky chappie. Bayek was alright though. So was the French one.
  • robthehermit 2 Oct 2018 02:02:18 7,738 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a bit good :D
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Oct 2018 07:32:21 25,859 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @robthehermit

Just stalking you on my friends Xbox feed... :)

Time played: 1 hour
    Progress: 1%
    total kills: SEVENTY SEVEN (77) you maniac
  • robthehermit 2 Oct 2018 08:17:31 7,738 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 It's closer to 2 hours if that makes it any better, and besides which I'm doing what I always do with AC games and exploring everything before following the story. Actual story progression takes up about 20 minutes of that playtime.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.