Toshinden is crap and always was.
  • elstoof 30 Oct 2018 08:00:17 21,549 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of those games were shit 20 years ago
  • mrpon 30 Oct 2018 08:22:30 34,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That list isn't really making my dick tingle.
  • TheHammerite 30 Oct 2018 08:44:51 2,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surprised there's no FF8. No Soul Reaver. Odd list but as others have said, probably licensing issues.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Oct 2018 08:55:05 6,150 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't really see the point of this, given the poor selection of games.

Anyone who has a Sony console and/or handheld (and let's face it, what kind of loser wouldn't have at least one of them lying around) will be able to play the pretty vast catalogue of PS1 games on PSN, which includes most classics. Only notable omissions from what I remember were the Formula 1 and Gran Turismo games.
  • Humperfunk 30 Oct 2018 08:57:22 7,811 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah thinking I'm probably out - seems an odd selection and realistically the only ones I'd want to play, I own on PSN so could easily just grab my PS3 to play them. Bah!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Oct 2018 08:59:36 8,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a shame Wipeout couldn't make the cut. If anything defined the earliest PlayStation era for me it was that game.
  • Malek86 30 Oct 2018 09:40:41 7,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Anyone who has a Sony console and/or handheld (and let's face it, what kind of loser wouldn't have at least one of them lying around) will be able to play the pretty vast catalogue of PS1 games on PSN, which includes most classics.
    Unless they only have a PS4. Which, given the nonexistant sales of the Vita, is probably a lot of people. Whoops!

Hey, at least I can still use my PSP.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:41:27 30-10-2018
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Oct 2018 09:49:46 6,150 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86 Don't tell me PS1 games don't work on the PS4?

A quick google confirms it... that's pretty lousy actually. I guess there's always emulation then.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 09:51:08 30-10-2018
  • Malek86 30 Oct 2018 10:23:36 7,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll I know, right? The best part was Sony justifying themselves, not long ago, by saying that "people have no interest in playing PS1 games today".

Of course they announced the Playstation Classic a little later.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Oct 2018 10:30:52 6,150 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

Thing is, I would be very tempted to buy this if the games were there, although I already have most games on my Vita which I believe is actually the best way to play these games (apart from the missing L2/R2 buttons, but the rear touchpad works ok as a substitute), given its portability and particularly the small but pretty screen - can't imagine what even a filtered PS1 image looks like on a modern 65" TV.

Although in most cases the 2D titles have aged a lot better - MGS is the only PS1 3D game I'd still want (and do) play today.
  • Fatiguez 30 Oct 2018 10:33:07 8,921 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No Spyro, no Spiderman, no point
  • Cappy 30 Oct 2018 10:44:01 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy 7
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms
    This? This is a poor selection of games? What were you guys expecting?

Let's address them individually:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Okay, this was totally superceded by Soul Edge, but it's here because the Battle Arena Toshinden games were an important cornerstone of the Playstation launch. I'll accept that this one won't get much play.

Cool Boarders 2
    This game certainly had it's fans, not much to complain about here. I don't play snow boarding games but I'm not going to begrudge other people getting something they want.

Destruction Derby
    The other car combat game.

Final Fantasy 7
    It was expected to be here, it's here.

Grand Theft Auto
    Once again, a game with a lot of fans. Certainly not a poor game.

Intelligent Qube
    A good puzzler and incredibly rare, this is a great inclusion.

Jumping Flash
    A launch title that's fondly remembered. Definitely not poor.

Metal Gear Solid
    Much like FF VII it was expected to be here.

Mr Driller
    Another brilliant puzzler and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the PS1 version.

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Another classic, a great puzzle/platformer.

Rayman
    Nothing wrong with this being here. Moving on.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Another classic. Whether you intend to play it or not it's nice to have it here, Resident Evil was one of the cornerstones of the platform.

Revelations: Persona
    The very first Persona game, okay, I'm a JRPG guy, but I'll accept this could be a bit of a divisive choice. It's an odd game that uncomfortably bridges that gap between the first person dungeon crawlers of the 80s and the console RPGs of the 90s. Still, not a bad game and buying an original copy would cost far more than a Playstation Mini. They certainly could have picked a JRPG with broader appeal though.

Ridge Racer Type 4
    It's Ridge racer, a really good one. Moving on.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
    Another great puzzler.

Syphon Filter
    A nostalgia inclusion, certainly aged, but not bad.

Tekken 3
    The second fighter of the lineup and a very good one that lots of people fondly remember.

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    I don't know much about this one, it seems like an odd inclusion though.

Twisted Metal
    Another expected inclusion.

Wild Arms
    And finally, a JRPG and in no way a bad game.

Notable omissions:

Tomb Raider, but does anybody really want to play those clunky old games?

Wipeout, licensing the music probably put this on the backburner.

Spyro & Crash Bandicoot, they're third party IP now which complicates things, maybe they wanted people to focus on the PS4 remake of Crash.

Still, by no means is this a poor selection, I'd have pulled out stuff like Destruction Derby and Coolboarders for games like Tomba! and Front Mission 3 but this is a compromise, there would surely be people disappointed that Destruction Derby isn't there.

Edited by Cappy at 10:48:15 30-10-2018
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 30 Oct 2018 10:59:22 32,206 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I adore the PSone version of Rainbow Six. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible by most measures you could think of. It's choppy as heck, lacks most of the tactical stuff from the other versions and really only controls well on an analogue controller (where it was one of the first batch to have the twin-stick set-up), but I really had a soft spot for it as one of the first realistic shooters I ever played.

It does seem like a pretty strong list, with plenty of games there for nostalgic purposes, and plenty of others because they're legitimately good.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:03:31 30-10-2018
  • the_milkybar_kid 30 Oct 2018 11:13:02 7,679 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cappy your arguments pretty floored. "Does anyone want to play those clunky old games" could be said about all the games that made the cut. And "expected to be there" could be said about many other of their catalogue that you'd expect to be there.

There's some genuine classic games there and a lot of filler. No point sugarcoating it. It is what it is. And bollocks to playing he majority of them without a dualshock.
  • Cappy 30 Oct 2018 11:37:44 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    @Cappy your arguments pretty floored..
    Floored indeed.

Expanding on Tomb Raider, they were multiplatform games that you can probably play on your phone these days, if you're desperate for Tomb Raider you can play Tomb Raider.

You are wrong though. By the standards of even the 90s the Tomb Raider games were incredibly clunky. Post Super Mario 64 a platform game comes along that controls like this...

I remember my first time, Tomb Raider 2. Why is this so shiiiiiiiit? And why do I have to keep slaughtering an unending onslaught of endangered animals?

Tomb Raider reminds me of the ancient kids gameshow Knightmare. A pit ahead! Do a side step! Do one step forward! Noooooo! Not like that! No! No! You're stepping into the pit! Stooooop! Game over.

Edited by Cappy at 11:39:48 30-10-2018
  • Duffking 30 Oct 2018 11:49:39 15,899 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TR2 had you shooting mans not animals
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Oct 2018 12:21:20 4,525 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The early TR games had a stiff, clunky feeling. There's no denying that. It ran across platforms - the PC versions were no better. I think a lot of the problem was that they were trying to do a fully 3d overlay on what was, in many respects, a fairly simple grid-based map. The movement system was basically geared towards 4-directional movement, even though the game technically permittted a wider range of motion. Jumps were set to trigger at particular boundaries, rather than immediately when the button was pressed. It gave the whole thing a stiff, laggy feel, though you could get used to it with practice.

I think this points at a common issue with games of this era, though. The SNES-mini captures a set of games from the absolute height of the 2d gaming era, so many of them still look and feel polished today. The PS Mini, on the other hand, picks up an awkward transitional era.

Early 3d graphics could look extremely rough. Framerates could often be highly sub-par (60fps having been the norm in the 2d era). Control schema were still in flux and many modern conventions, particularly twin-stick controls for first and third person games, wouldn't be set until the next console generation.

Doesn't mean the PS-Mini won't be worth having. Personally, I'm actually more tempted by it than by the Nintendo mini offerings. Some of the games, such as Final Fantasy VII, hold up remarkably well. But there's an inherant degree of jankiness to this generation.

For reference, I think an N64-mini would, in most respects, feel even worse.
  • Dombat 30 Oct 2018 14:04:23 1,429 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not saying it would have swung it enough to make me buy it, but if they had Soul Blade instead of Toshinden that would have made a big difference IMO.
  • Malek86 30 Oct 2018 14:19:44 7,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    An eventual N64 Mini (which will probably still depend on whenever Nintendo can make a working N64 emulator for ARM), would definitely be worse. Especially if they insist on having the original controller.

I might be more interested in a Saturn Mini, if only because the games would be inherently rarer. But it wouldn't be a whole lot better.
  • TheHammerite 30 Oct 2018 14:21:29 2,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

I liked the N64 controller. Never had an issue with it. The d-pad was shit but never needed to use it..

Edited by TheHammerite at 14:55:12 30-10-2018
  • DangerousDave_87 30 Oct 2018 15:02:57 5,239 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That list isn't terrible by any means. I'd say Soul Edge, Silent Hill and Tomb Raider are the only 3 games that should definitely have been there. They could swap out Rainbow Six and Siphon Filter and Mr. Driller for those.

Point is, though, there's plenty of quality PS1 games to choose from. Few absolute classics, but many gems. It was always going to be impossible to please everyone.

I'm glad they dodged film/TV licences, FPS games and Crash/Spyro though.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 15:03:30 30-10-2018
  • waggy79 30 Oct 2018 15:15:26 1,897 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86 i think a saturn one with vf2, rally, daytona, cop1+2, panzer saga and some of the amazing 2d fighters and shooters would be much more appealing to me than this line up. Even though i have a saturn in the loft a mini is more convenient.
  • Cappy 30 Oct 2018 15:20:44 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, the PS1 has such a broad catalogue with so many games it's impossible to put together a single lineup of games that 100% pleases anyone.

Where's R-Type Delta? Soul Reaver? Grandia? Castlevania? Final Fantasy Tactics? etc.

Konami are a bit difficult to deal with these days so expecting Castlevania and Silent Hill was probably a long shot.

Edited by Cappy at 15:21:11 30-10-2018
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 30 Oct 2018 19:56:33 3,246 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    @Malek86 i think a saturn one with vf2, rally, daytona, cop1+2, panzer saga and some of the amazing 2d fighters and shooters would be much more appealing to me than this line up. Even though i have a saturn in the loft a mini is more convenient.
    As great as some Saturn stuff is it has the same emulation issues as N64. Still not sure there are many lowspec 'good' emulators for it... I do need to dig out my Saturn again some time and go through my Panzer Dragoons....

As for the PSOne Mini the selection isn't terrible but no particular desire to buy one. Persona 1 is definitely an odd choice when P2 would be a lot better (P1 was clunky as hell and atrociously translated and 'Americanised' and had the alternate gameplay path excised) It's a shame that Sony refuse to give us PSOne Classics on PS4 (or the PS2 Classics from PS3 rather than just the 'remasters')

As forthe Tomb Raider discussion, I always had a soft spot for the first game as a fine translation of Prince of Persia into 3D. TR2 onwards (in PS1 era( was a lot worse with too many gun toting enemies and crap locations.
  • richarddavies 30 Oct 2018 20:24:59 6,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved tomb raider 1 and 2 back in the day. 2 especially. It's been at least 15 years ago since I played 2 though. I have a feeling it would be best left in my memories.
  • JanetSnakehole 30 Oct 2018 20:48:48 417 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    This is going to be the big "I didn't know what to get you and now it's gathering dust in 2019“ Christmas present. If anyone is still regularly using one after 6 months I'll be amazed.
  • Spectral 30 Oct 2018 22:36:34 6,049 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wonder how many people are going to pick up this just for its casing and stick a Raspberry Pi in there instead.
  • PierrePressure 30 Oct 2018 23:28:06 927 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still keeping my preorder in the hope it'll get modded :/
  • Tiger_Uppercut 5 Nov 2018 18:38:47 10 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @the_milkybar_kid PS2 mini be amazing!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.