Following PlayStation Classic Page 7

• Cappy 27 Nov 2018 11:35:10 13,961 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    It's just mind boggling. What's the advantage of using the PAL versions of those games? Some weird licensing thing?

Those games didn't have a language select either so it's not like they're thinking they can dump one version of the game on there and cover everybody.

Even the average Joe is going to notice Tekken 3 at 50hz.
    That's a real puzzler, maybe the emulation is such trash tier on the target hardware that it's gone back to the early days of PS1 emulation where versions of the same game from different regions had varying performance or sometimes didn't even work at all.

The other possibility is that the project is being undertaken by people who aren't really aware of, or concerned by regional differences. The general impression I'm getting is that they're cutting a lot of corners.

Even if this box is hackable it might not save it. Paying Ubisoft licensing fees for Rainbow Six is incomprehensible to me, they own the rights to titles like the Tomba! games and Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload etc. Not only would they have saved themselves some money, Gunners Heaven is a much better fit for the D-Pad only controller, most people would prefer that as their shooting game over a creaking port of Rainbow Six.
  • Malek86 27 Nov 2018 11:48:03 7,909 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I already see people clamoring for a PS2 Mini. Unless they use the original hardware, I don't see how that would be possible - ARM emulators are nowhere near ready for that. Even an N64 Mini is gonna be problematic.
  • Humperfunk 27 Nov 2018 12:04:25 7,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well up for a PS2, assuming they put actual PS2 classics on it and not 75% shite like this one.
  • Cappy 27 Nov 2018 12:55:27 13,961 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The other angle is the cost of licensing, getting Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Ridge Racer, Tekken and Resident Evil must have been a serious hit for the PS1 Mini. Maybe that's why the overall execution seems so cheap and half hearted.

Putting out a system of this sort is so much less hassle for Nintendo who tend to have complete publishing rights for most of the big games on their systems.

Could Sony even make a PS2 Mini for a sub 100 price? The hypothetical lineup would be expected to feature games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, one of the Resident Evil games and Silent Hill 2. Sony can throw in a few games of their own but it's still going to limit them on how much they can spend on the hardware and the price point.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Nov 2018 13:07:39 4,679 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I could see storage for a hypothetical PS2 Mini being a bit of a cost-driver. The majority of PS2 games shipped on DVDs (though a number of smaller titles shipped on CDs) and many of the titles I'd expect to see in a PS2 Mini lineup used most of the storage capacity. As per Cappy's post above, I'd certainly expect to see Final Fantasy X, MGS2 and a Grand Theft Auto title. Put a library of 20-30 games on there and you're getting into the territory of needing a couple of hundred GB of space. That's feasible in terms of physical dimensions, but it's not going to come cheap and may put the unit cost into "commercially unviable" territory.
  • Malek86 27 Nov 2018 14:53:27 7,909 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reviews are in, and it seems just as half-hearted as expected.
  • cowell 27 Nov 2018 15:04:55 1,625 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lost interest once the limp list of games announced.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six? No mate...
  • AboutHalfaStevas 27 Nov 2018 15:12:28 1,182 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Almost like they half arsed this knowing the modding community would pick up the slack...
  • richarddavies 27 Nov 2018 15:38:30 6,542 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unless it for reasons unknown comes with a harddrive/memory card which has gb's of space on it for some reason they won't be doing much with it.
  • Your-Mother 27 Nov 2018 15:55:57 2,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It has multiple USB ports, and I doubt Sony have been careful enough to protect them, given how slapdash this has been, so storage expansion seems likely. Rumors are that it does actually have a tonne of internal space too.
  • Malek86 27 Nov 2018 16:41:59 7,909 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Your-Mother it does need to have tons of internal space (from the list of games, I'd say 8GB are needed). The questios is how much of that space is already taken.

Then again, if it does get hacked, I suppose someone will find out how to substitute the crappier games with better ones. I mean, do we really need Rainbow Six?
  • Cappy 28 Nov 2018 00:41:49 13,961 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If there actually is only 8GB of space to play with, PS1 Mini hacking might not be very practical compared to the alternative of a Raspberry Pi.

Final Fantasy IX and Legend Dragoon by themselves would eat about half the storage.

I'm guessing it uses bin & cue or .iso files, if the emulator supports compressed isos you might be able to stretch things a little further.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Nov 2018 01:03:20 1,182 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure what you mean by practical compared to the pi? You were never going to be able to fit anywhere near a decent sized collection on this thing's stock storage. And if you wanted to you could hang the whole PS1 library off a pi.
  • the_milkybar_kid 28 Nov 2018 05:32:55 7,745 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd be very surprised if there isn't 16gb in there given the file sizes, unless they've compressed the files somehow. Plus the space for the UI. STILL wouldn't leave much wiggle room.
  • Malek86 28 Nov 2018 08:27:44 7,909 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid there isn't actually that many big games in there. Aside from FF7 and MGS, most of the other stuff is below 400MB. I think 8GB might have been enough. I bet they chose some of those crappier games exactly because they would fit in that amount of memory.
  • Cappy 28 Nov 2018 09:02:15 13,961 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by practical compared to the pi? You were never going to be able to fit anywhere near a decent sized collection on this thing's stock storage. And if you wanted to you could hang the whole PS1 library off a pi.
    Well, it's an issue of constantly having to switch out games since you'd never be able to have more than 20-30 games on it at any one time. That's just too much hassle for a pick up and play gaming machine.

All the versions, of all the Rainbow Six games have got to be on there, ready to play at any time.
  • the_milkybar_kid 28 Nov 2018 09:58:27 7,745 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Malek86 Ah, I thought they were bigger than that, like 6-800Mb each. In that case, yeah- 8GB sounds likely.
  • nudistpete 28 Nov 2018 11:59:46 421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So now I'm confused.

The DF early review made me want to cancel my pre-order - if RR:4 doesn't run perfectly then what's the point... However the DF teardown makes it pretty clear that this is pretty powerful and should the l33t h4x0rz be able to h4x0rize it, there's a lot of potential there...

I'm somewhat tempted to keep my pre-order and bank on someone haxorizing it, but it seems a massive gamble for 90 squids... :/
  • beastmaster 28 Nov 2018 12:16:41 18,818 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I doubt it'll sell out. Should improvements be made, then. you can buy it later.

I cancelled my pre-order ages ago. Not had time with the Nintendo minis so this would just sit in the box gathering dust.
  • KnuttinAtoll 28 Nov 2018 12:28:34 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wouldn't the Pi fit into an original size PS1 case?

I'd rather try going down that route (with two left hands, little interest in DIY electronics and the real risk of setting the apartment on fire) before spending a single dime on this cheap cash grab attempt.
  • Spectral 28 Nov 2018 12:31:05 6,069 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Wouldn't the Pi fit into an original size PS1 case?

I'd rather try going down that route (with two left hands, little interest in DIY electronics and the real risk of setting the apartment on fire) before spending a single dime on this cheap cash grab attempt.
    Its probably around the same size whatever board they have in this is, most of them are similarly sized. I have one in a Superpi SNES case which is more or less the same size as the SNES Classic.

Edited by Spectral at 12:31:44 28-11-2018
  • nudistpete 28 Nov 2018 12:35:00 421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I doubt it'll sell out. Should improvements be made, then. you can buy it later.
    Damn you, stop being the voice of reason :-(
  • KnuttinAtoll 28 Nov 2018 12:36:58 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't see them improving it. It's not their main console, and I doubt it'll fly off the shelves given its half arsed implementation so they will let it die much quicker than their various handhelds in the past.
  • nudistpete 30 Nov 2018 14:37:19 421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Can't see them improving it.
    Me neither, but if the community can improve it then all the better!
  • richarddavies 30 Nov 2018 15:34:12 6,542 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just buy a modded psp. It'll be cheaper, you can fit more on it and you can play resident evil 2 while on the john.
  • Your-Mother 3 Dec 2018 18:20:02 2,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This has already been hacked, albeit via soldering connections on the main board. It's running stock Android under the hood (not sure what version) and they've already gotten root access and fast boot over adb working, and expanding storage via USB looks extremely likely. Should have a hackchi equivalent within the week.
  • retro74 3 Dec 2018 19:34:39 2,576 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People are selling these on eBay for 150 despite the fact that you can walk in to Tesco and buy one for 89 today

The Nintendo ones had a bit of a retro charm and most of the games are still simple and playable. I bet some of these Ps1 games play like complete dogs now
  • Cappy 3 Dec 2018 20:01:20 13,961 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Considering that there are units currently on eBay for a buy it now of 85 including postage, anything more than that is just idiot tax.

It might be worth it if it's easy to hack and update with an emulator that squeezes better performance out of the hardware and offers some basic features.
  • BurnoutJunkie 3 Dec 2018 20:42:10 1,079 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    Well, it's an issue of constantly having to switch out games since you'd never be able to have more than 20-30 games on it at any one time. That's just too much hassle for a pick up and play gaming machine
    Early OG Wii days. Clean out your fridge, mate.
  • nudistpete 3 Dec 2018 21:46:07 421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Here's the Analogue Foundry (my) review:

Most stuff plays fine, the thing that seems to slow down the most (so far) is FF7, which keeps (very subtly) slowing the music at seemingly random points in battle. RR4, the thing I was worried about the most given the DF article, seems to play fine - if there are stutters it's hard to perceive.

Anything that was hi-res/interlace (the PlayStation loading screen, Tekken 3, FF7 credits) looks pin-sharp. Anything low res (everything else) looks like it's been smeared in vaseline. Not great, but hardly ideal. It really could have done with an effects option.

As mentioned elsewhere the options are very bare bones compared to the SNES classic. "Save state" (note singular) is there.

The hardware itself is just gorgeous, the attention to detail rivals Nintendo's classic mini's. Even the USB plugs have plastic ends that look like PS controller plugs, and the expansion port cover almost looks like it can be removed (I tried, it can't :)). The controllers could be real PS controllers if they weren't so light.

The packaging is a work of art. If they put as much effort into the software as they did the packaging this would be a must have.

Verdict - not as woeful as you'd expect, but not worth 90 quid. I'd have been happy at 60 with a single controller for what's been delivered. Looking forward to playing much more Mr Driller and Intelligent Qube which are both new to me and are both quite fun.

Edit: Also wanted to note that this must be a power hungry machine. My NES and SNES Classic can be powered from my telly's 1A sockets, this can't be and needs to be powered by a 2A USB socket. Slightly annoying.

Edited by nudistpete at 21:49:56 03-12-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.