Following PlayStation Classic Page 3

• ZuluHero 19 Sep 2018 18:08:54 6,721 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do you know what, if it also had WipeOut 2097, Driver, Silent Hill and Suikoden 1 I would probably get one.
  • whatthefu 19 Sep 2018 19:21:17 1,132 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the SNES growing up and I got the PS1 when I was 11 so I love both. It's key that SNES games still look decent with scanlines or some filtering, Most PS1 games don't. They are OK in emulators with plugins, it's amazing how they modify the games, but the bugs are the problem in my experience.

Named only 4 games? I think they could have done more than 20 in total as well.
    I'll be interested to hear if it's 50 or 60Hz, whether the graphics have any filters and whether it can be modified with other games.
    Foolish to use the original controller imo.

Good memories though. To be 11 again. I loved it that Christmas.
  • whatthefu 19 Sep 2018 19:22:24 1,132 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky You're right, my brother's last console was the SNES and he loved the idea of the SNES mini and bought one. Of course he doesn't use it any more, but the nostalgia was good fun for a while.
  • nudistpete 19 Sep 2018 19:39:28 409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm ashamed to say that despite knowing it's expensive and I'll hardly get chance to play with it, I've pre-ordered it for release day pick up at smyths...

Really hoping for parappa/lammy/vib ribbon, suikoden, alundra, ergheiz (GOD BLESS THE RING), GTA London. Please Mr Sony!
  • beastmaster 19 Sep 2018 19:55:06 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never mind Sony. Time for Sega to do a mini Saturn and Dreamcast!
  • DakeyrasUK 19 Sep 2018 20:01:25 2,046 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Need to see what games it has. I still have a ps2 connected to my TV and have ff7, 8 & 9, mgs sat on a shelf in my living room.

The unannounced games would have to be pretty special to get my money.

With re2 remake and grandia coming to switch that removes a further 2 that would be highly tempting.

Alundra is one and silent hill is another but I can't think of many other major games that would tempt me to be honest.
  • Humperfunk 19 Sep 2018 20:01:40 7,811 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hoping for stuff like Crono Cross or Legend of Dragoon, never managed to get hold of them.
  • nudistpete 19 Sep 2018 20:02:42 409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Given Sega's chequered history of mini consoles/handhelds a Sega mini would not be a defo pre-order.
  • Your-Mother 19 Sep 2018 20:24:40 2,152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sega are attempting to do a proper Megadrive Mini not via AtGames, though it just got delayed until 2019.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Sep 2018 21:02:59 12,646 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just donít have the same nostalgic affection for old Sony and Microsoft consoles that I do for everything else. Itís nothing to do with the quality of the games. The PS1 was superior to the Saturn and Jaguar, yet Iíd far rather have mini versions of those.
  • richarddavies 19 Sep 2018 21:17:35 6,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently not. Well I hope not anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/9/19/17878298/sega-mega-drive-mini-genesis-release-date-delay
  • fontgeeksogood 19 Sep 2018 21:26:05 3,184 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I just donít have the same nostalgic affection for old Sony and Microsoft consoles that I do for everything else. Itís nothing to do with the quality of the games. The PS1 was superior to the Saturn and Jaguar, yet Iíd far rather have mini versions of those.
    Yeah. I think I'm the same, and it's because the games for those systems had an identity of sorts and were largely exclusives
  • elstoof 19 Sep 2018 21:33:43 21,549 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím pretty sure games like Nights, Clockwork Knight, Panzer Dragoon etc have help up quite well
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Sep 2018 21:58:09 16,721 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Clockwork Knight was balls even at the time. Id love to play Panzer Dragoon Saga again though.
  • elstoof 19 Sep 2018 22:03:11 21,549 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sega Rally tho
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Sep 2018 22:03:49 16,721 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just to confirm, it has not held up. I'm pretty sure that song from the first level played through Ted Bundy's head when he did his murderin'

Edited by Decks at 22:04:08 19-09-2018
  • FrostPan 19 Sep 2018 22:43:13 1,526 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Hoping for stuff like Crono Cross or Legend of Dragoon, never managed to get hold of them.
    Doubtful for LoD. It's a flop to be one of the 'iconic' titles for the lineup (loved the game back then). Chrono Cross would be cool, since it didn't come out here, and so would Xenogears.
  • nudistpete 19 Sep 2018 22:53:18 409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @FrostPan Xenogears is awesome until you get to the second disc where it turns into bilge. Many happy hours spent with my homemade printed out combo sheets getting the characters to learn all of the combos.
  • Malek86 19 Sep 2018 23:27:53 7,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FuzzyDucky yeah, but i don't understand why they can't do both. Like Sega, who is releasing a Megadrive Mini *and* a Megadrive collection for current consoles.

I think there could be quite a few people interested.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:28:05 19-09-2018
  • Pierre2k 19 Sep 2018 23:35:24 1,063 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Putting gameplay to one side, I think visually Clockwork Knight has held up ok. Same with most 2D and to a lesser extent 2.5D games.

On Saturn, I'd say games that hold up best visually include:
    - Sega Rally (remarkably solid, particularly for 3D on the Saturn)
    - Virtua Fighter 2 (chunky, but the high res mode keeps it looking clean.
    - Last Bronx (same situation as Virtua Fighter 2)
    - Astal
    - Saturn Bomberman
    - Shinobi
    - Bug and Bug Too
    - All the Capcom and Neo Geo 2D games, but most are now available elsewhere
    - Shining Force 3
    - Shining the Holy Ark
    - Panzer Dragoon Saga when on the Dragon (some of the best 3D on the Saturn, but the walking parts don't hold up quite as well)
    - Guardian Heros (albeit available on Xbox Live)
    - Radiant Silvergun (also on Xbox Live)
    - Dragon Force
    - Elevator Action Returns
    - Princess Crown (if we could get it in English)
    - Dark Saviour

Of course, these games all still look retro, but they all include either 2D elements or surprisingly solid 3D that I think retains a certain charm.

In fact, whilst the PS1 was clearly better at 3D overall, when the Saturn was at its best, I think it's 3D often looked more solid (less seams/texture warping issues).

Damn, I really really want a Saturn Mini. Throw Athlete Kings/Decathlete, Winter Heat and Die Hard Arcade whilst you're at it.

Edited by Pierre2k at 23:37:14 19-09-2018
  • Cappy 20 Sep 2018 10:51:49 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had an N64, but there were a lot of PS1 games I liked the look of, plus the N64 had droughts a-plenty so I ended up buying and playing lots of PS1 games via CVGS on my computer. This box is pretty interesting, but much of that is because the current generation doesn't let you run your original discs via backward compatibility.

From a value standpoint they can easily make the system look pretty good with a few key selections like Suikoden II, Symphony of the Night or Valkyrie Profile. The currently revealed games are really solid choices, the PS1 has an excellent back catalogue so there's no excuse for sticking filler in there.

The PAL region version certainly has an opportunity to shine with Europe missing so many PS1 classics back in the day. I just hope they don't make a PAL specific version, let the 50hz conversions stay in the past, though that does raise some issues, which version of Silent Hill would the European version get if it's on there? The NTSC and PAL versions have minor differences in content. Whichever one they choose somebody is going to be unhappy.

Even if Sony were limited to tiles they own publishing rights for they can put together an amazing lineup. I think Sony own the rights to Alundra so that should really be on there, Legend of Dragoon also, but that's a bit of a space hog at four discs and they've already got Final Fantasy VII, I don't think they'd allow just one genre to dominate which is a shame since JRPGs are the Playstation's strongest suit.
  • KRadiation 20 Sep 2018 11:07:19 1,366 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wonder if they could get syphon filter on there ? i miss that taser
  • AboutHalfaStevas 20 Sep 2018 11:17:37 1,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Saturn wipes the floor with the PS1 for 2D fighters and shmups (hence why I am all over a Saturn mini... As long as it's hackable - see below).

Maybe I missed why, but I'm noticing a lot of "depending on the games" - do we already know this won't be hackable like the Nintendo minis?
  • Cappy 20 Sep 2018 11:38:55 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    The Saturn wipes the floor with the PS1 for 2D fighters and shmups (hence why I am all over a Saturn mini... As long as it's hackable - see below).

Maybe I missed why, but I'm noticing a lot of "depending on the games" - do we already know this won't be hackable like the Nintendo minis?
    I think Sony are far more capable of locking down a system like this than Nintendo, installing the games you want on there isn't a certainty.

You're really underselling the PS1 on fighters and shooters, it actually has a very respectable catalogue. In the Hunt, ňinhander, R-Types, R-Type Delta, Gradius Gaiden, Gunners Heaven, Panzer Bandit, Harmful Park etc.

It's all academic though, even if you get your magic sega slag spooge box it's not going to be just fighters and shooters, they'll be covering a spread of genres so you'll also get stuff like Deep Fear or the extra shonky versions of Tomb Raider or Resident Evil, or maybe Saturn Wipeout and Nights into Dreams.
  • nudistpete 20 Sep 2018 11:55:04 409 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I think Sony are far more capable of locking down a system like this than Nintendo, installing the games you want on there isn't a certainty.
    It isn't a certainty, but the hackability of the (S)NES classic is a huge part of its appeal and if these are left over PSTV's as is the current rumor, then perhaps Sony won't try too hard to fix any of the underlying exploits.

I think it was entirely deliberate that Nintendo didn't lock down the SNES classic - they could have easily just cut the data lines on the Micro USB to deter 99% of hackers, yet they didn't.
  • Pierre2k 20 Sep 2018 12:42:50 1,063 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    They'll be covering a spread of genres so you'll also get stuff like Deep Fear or the extra shonky versions of Tomb Raider or Resident Evil, or maybe Saturn Wipeout and Nights into Dreams.
    With regards to Saturn WipeOut, you raise a fair point (the Saturn version of 2097 faired a bit betrer, but was clearly inferior to the PS1 ver.). I kinda agree with the general sentiment. Even as a self-confessed Saturn fanboy, it often had inferior versions of 3D multiplatform games, with a handful of exceptions.

Not sure I agree with your picks though. Usual lack of transparency effects aside, the Saturn version of Resident Evil compared more than favourably to the PS1 version and Tomb Raider had some glitches but was solid enough for the time. Doubt any future Saturn mini would have either though. It's not really what the console is associated with

I'd also be hoping for both Nights and Deep Fear on any Saturn mini. Nights less so as it's available elsewhere, but Deep Fear was a brilliant game doomed to obscurity, which is where these mini consoles really could add huge value IMO.
  • beastmaster 20 Sep 2018 12:56:30 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Driver
    Resident Evil
    Gran Turismo
    Tomb Raider
    Metal Gear Solid
    Destruction Derby (was that One/1?)
    Loaded
    Wipeout
    Crash Bandicoot
    Pappa The Rapper

Probably a few others. Would love to play Driver again!

Pre-orederd fro ShopTo
  • mrpon 20 Sep 2018 12:59:20 34,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll rage quit on the tutorial!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.