Looking for a new web host (.NET)

• Zeffi 22 Sep 2018 10:23:15 1,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My web host is a massive turd, so I'm looking for a new one.

Any recommendations? Needs to be a UK company, not stupidly expensive and supports .NET.

Meh.
  • Psiloc 22 Sep 2018 12:23:44 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We use fasthosts.
  • Zeffi 22 Sep 2018 14:20:28 1,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks Psiloc.

Does anyone have any experience with Azure? Think it might be a bit expensive compared to what I'm used to.
  • Navi 22 Sep 2018 14:48:10 346 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Done a decent amount with Azure (Azure WebApps, SQL as a service, Azure Service Bus). All works well, is convenient to spin up new test servers and great reporting (although the security guys mumble about it being harder to lock down).

No idea about the price though as that's a headache for a different department.
  • JoeBlade 22 Sep 2018 15:19:19 4,897 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Azure is quite competitive price-wise for a serious hosting party, assuming you tweak the settings to your needs optimally.

Much depends on your needs though: expected visits/users/load, expected average uptime, expected response time/time to resolution when something goes tits up, expected frequency of updates, how much you're willing/wanting to do yourself, etc.

There are many hosting parties that offer very cheap but also very standard plans (meaning you just have to live with whatever they offer, more or less), I'm talking order of magnitude a few hundred per year.
    With a bigger player you should expect coughing up that much per month or even multiples of that.

Again, depending on the parameters, the latter may be overkill or the former may be unsuitable for your needs.
  • Zeffi 22 Sep 2018 18:46:45 1,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Approx 3k per day at the moment, but growing. I need stability really, as my current host is a train wreck... but cheap.

Does Azure support MySQL (don't ask)? Just wondering how long it'd take to learn the interface and get everything setup asap.
  • Nazo 23 Sep 2018 11:56:26 1,305 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Consider AWS as well, you can run .net apps on Elastic Beanstalk and their managed database service RDS runs MySQL.
    You can try it all out under the free tier for new accounts so you can try it out at no cost. With the traffic you have now the free tier might even cover most of your requirements.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.