Devil May Cry 5

First Previous
  • Tuffty 25 Sep 2018 00:18:48 4,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DMC5 is coming out March 2019 and is certainly quite the looker:

10 years after DMC4, we're back with more smoking sick sexy style character action gameplay. Nero is back with a variety of different disposable arms which have their own abilities. Dante, along with a few other familiar faces, make a comeback from last weeks' TGS trailer, as well as a reveal of the 3rd playable character, V, who's gameplay style is unknown:

Last week also brought in some controversy around the game. After the absolute banger of Nero's battle theme song in 'Devil Trigger' (which you hear in the E3 trailer), the reveal of Dante's battle theme (heard in the TGS trailer) didn't go over nearly as well. The mixing of the release was completely off, the screaming vocals louder than the instruments and none of it sounded particularly pleasant. On top of that the lead singer was also recently accused of sexual exploitation of a minor so...it wasn't a good luck for Capcom. Going forward, Capcom have promised not to use the song for promotional material and are looking into the possibility of replacing it before the game comes out.

In another controversy, it's been revealed that DMC5 will also have microtransactions. You can buy red orbs, the game's currency for items and new moves with real money. For me, it isn't an issue. DMC4 Special Edition also had this and it didn't affect the balance of acquiring red orbs. I had most of the moves at the end of the playthrough and didn't really have to spend too much more time getting the remaining moves. I appreciate that people say that this time will be different as they can build the game from the ground up with including micro transactions in mind as opposed to bolting it onto the DMC4 Special Edition when the vanilla game didn't have any. But to me I'm going to be playing and replaying this game well beyond the point of me acquiring all of the abilities, just because the game itself is so fun and I want to experiment with it and get better at it. I've seen some people have described this as "pay to win" but it's really more like "pay to unlock". DMC doesn't have stats or gear, it's a skill based game. Just having all the moves doesn't guarantee you won't have a rough time if you don't take the time to learn it. I could go on, I will reserve judgement until the game is out and hope Capcom gets the balance right in a way that pleases mostly everybody, otherwise the series fans like me will have to put up with people complaining about things like gold orbs having high price tags because of the microtransaction model, even though that's been the case with every game. Won't really care if they keep microtransactions at this point or get rid of it. It won't bother me if people do decide to spend additional money on it, it's their choice for their single player game, it doesn't affect me.

What are your thoughts on the game?

Edited by Tuffty at 00:29:47 25-09-2018
  • the_milkybar_kid 25 Sep 2018 05:32:07 7,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is 2018. If they've got microtransactions, the grind will be real. As for DMC, haven't thought much of it since the original.
  • Tuffty 25 Sep 2018 10:04:06 4,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dunno, is it really a grind if these games have always been structured in such a way that encourages replaying missions again and again? Fans are happy to replay missions and get more currency in this way since DMC3. People's impressions of DMC5 indicates that actually rewards for high end of level skill ranks is much more generous with dishing out red orbs. The outrage seems a bit extreme to me, I certainly wouldn't write off the game completely as some have claimed just because of this.

Edited by Tuffty at 10:04:44 25-09-2018
  • Deleted user 25 September 2018 10:11:36
    I'll reserve judgement on the microtransactions, even though I think they have no place in a game like this. I can ignore them.

But shit, if that new character's design isn't totally unappealing. Couldn't they just let us play as Lady or Trish instead? Maybe they will, but as marketing goes that one guy is putting me off the game entirely.
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 10:18:27 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Microtransactions were in DMC4SE and I wouldn't say anybody noticed. It was the same game as DMC4 but with the feature added, I don't think it made any difference to the cost of moves etc.

There seems to be this fear that games featuring microtransactions are built to encourage their use. How would that even work in a DMC game where players covet a challenge? Meh, they're there. Ignore them.

The game itself though... Well that looks awesome. The series is somewhat of a mixed bag, I kinda liked the DmC reboot the most out of all of them, so I'm glad that Capcom is clearly taking that as a base, at least aesthetically.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 10:19:36 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason people are worried is because it's capcom and they have form of ruining perfectly good games with DLC and microtransactions.

And outside of capcom we have had a year of crippled progression in LOTR, NBA, Star Wars.....and so on and so forth. People are entirely justified in putting two and two together and coming up with 'ability to skip grind = terrible grind'.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 10:24:24 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For the sake of argument, what people are worried about is that stuff like inferno and air raid are going to be locked behind such a massive cost you won't be able to unlock them in a single play through.

Yes, you can play the game fine without them but the experience would severely suck ass compared to having them.
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 10:25:04 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Again, how does that fit into a DMC game?

There's only one possible scenario - a level/boss is "too hard" and may be easier to beat with a new move or health boost you can't afford.

... In a game that players WANT to be challenged by.

It would be like including microtransactions in Dark Souls. A game in which fans like to beat bosses whilst their character is naked and wielding a spoon.

We know how the MTs are going to work in this - exactly as they do in DMC4SE.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 10:54:00 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unsurprisingly, you don't understand the point I'm making.
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 10:55:40 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do, I just don't think there's a precedent for it within the context of the franchise considering the mechanic already exists in one of the series' best games.

Or, you can be a dick about it.

I mean the game is out pretty soon, so it's not like I'm going to be waiting long to be proved right.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Sep 2018 10:56:55 4,971 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How difficult is it to understand, people want to do the cool stuff in a DMC game, having to grind out missions for a year to unlock them is not good.

and DMC4SE was already a game they added MT's into. DMC5 is a game they will have made around MT's

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 10:57:48 25-09-2018
  • JamboWayOh 25 Sep 2018 10:58:10 11,157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    I do, I just don't think there's a precedent for it within the context of the franchise considering the mechanic already exists in one of the series' best games.

Or, you can be a dick about it.

I mean the game is out pretty soon, so it's not like I'm going to be waiting long to be proved right.
    :rolleyes:
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 10:58:51 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't know what the cost for these skills are. If they price the most fun skills too high to encourage you to buy them with real money, microtransactions have by default made the game less fun.

That's what people are worried about and there is substantial precedent for it.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Sep 2018 10:59:25 4,971 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    That is some statement considering this is Capcom.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 11:00:10 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He turned his brain off to enjoy the transformers movies and never got around to turning it back on.
  • Rivuzu 25 Sep 2018 11:00:14 17,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If all the microtransactions are for is cosmetics and/or skipping the grind, I'm totally fine. So long as certain moves aren't hidden behind a paywall currency, we're gucci.

Also, why is no one talking about the fact this is going to have up to 3 player online multiplayer?
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2018 11:01:36 76,528 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    If all the microtransactions are for is cosmetics and/or skipping the grind, I'm totally fine.
    even if the grind has been artificially inflated?
  • Rivuzu 25 Sep 2018 11:03:42 17,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I don't know if it has or not. They were already grind heavy games previously, rewarding multiple play throughs.
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 11:03:50 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Tell you what, if the game is somehow borked due to MTs, I'll buy Nick a copy of the game.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Sep 2018 11:10:45 4,971 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Tell you what, if the game is somehow borked due to MTs, I'll buy Nick a copy of the game.
    Quoted for prosperity
  • Deleted user 25 September 2018 11:16:31
    Is it just me or did MTs seem to be going away from single player games recently (yes this has multiplayer but DMC is a traditionally SP game)? I don't recall the last game I bought that had them, and after the backlash to stuff like Shadow of War they were even patched out. Pretty brazen of Capcom to go against that trend, however it's implemented.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Sep 2018 11:17:29 11,157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ol Gearskin is top of the comments in the current article about the Telltale closure on the front page. Of course it's a classic Gearskin take.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Sep 2018 11:22:11 3,289 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't trust capcom to make it "optional" as these companies always claim. Apologists always claim "just irgnore them but games like NBA 2k and battlefront 2 and shadow of war the grind was real (until the company patches it out)

Gearskin wrote:
    Microtransactions were in DMC4SE and I wouldn't say anybody noticed. It was the same game as DMC4 but with the feature added, I don't think it made any difference to the cost of moves etc.
    No one noticed because no one was really bothered about a cheap port to new consoles.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Sep 2018 11:23:56 11,157 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's almost as if they've forgotten the clusterfuck that was Street Fighter 5.
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 11:31:07 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I don't trust capcom to make it "optional" as these companies always claim. Apologists always claim "just irgnore them but games like NBA 2k and battlefront 2 and shadow of war the grind was real (until the company patches it out)

Gearskin wrote:
    No one noticed because no one was really bothered about a cheap port to new consoles.
    I just Googled DMC4SE and, according to Wikipedia, it "sold well" physically and that the digital sales were a key contributor to their overall growth for the fiscal quarter.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Sep 2018 11:32:45 4,673 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find it baffling the amount of people who stick up for MT's just because it's a game they like.

Here's an idea - if people want to skip the grind, why not add that option as a cheat code and disable trophies/achievements if people use them? Or am I missing something?
  • Gearskin 25 Sep 2018 11:38:25 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not "sticking up" for them. I'm ignoring them and think their inclusion here will be near invisible in the finished product.

I remmeber when Dead Space 3 came out, years ago, and allowed players to use real money to modify their weapons. I remember the screaming about how the game would never dish out enough resources to make the modifications you would want, how the whole system would be built around forcing players to hand over real money.

This sounds... Familiar.

So yeah, I'll absolutely buy Nick a copy of the game if I'm wrong about this. But I'm pretty certain I won't be. And I'm very much looking forward to DMC5. It looks GREAT.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Sep 2018 11:41:04 3,289 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I find it baffling the amount of people who stick up for MT's just because it's a game they like.

Here's an idea - if people want to skip the grind, why not add that option as a cheat code and disable trophies/achievements if people use them? Or am I missing something?
    Exactly this, GTA4 disable trophies/achievements if you wanted to use a cheat, unfortunately you get idiots in the gaming media who parrot "fucking achievements have killed cheat codes!!!111" of course, companies would rather charge you for XP boosts that give gamers a cheat code
  • Load_2.0 25 Sep 2018 11:42:00 28,575 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah this seems like a massive mistake. I really like the DMC series and one of the primary reasons is they tended to get the weapons/moves release vs difficulty curve right on the money.

Crushing opponents who trouble you in the early stages is extremely satisfying. Dressing your character up like a Barbie is fun. It's one of the reason Fortnite makes 50 trillion bucks a day.

Obviously they want so a lot of the items or techniques are going to be unobtainable through normal play through. Just introduces a negative element.
  • Navi 25 Sep 2018 11:42:15 277 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Same here. It may well be that MTs will have no effect on Devil May Cry 5 and the progression will be the same with or without. But by adding MTs you invite comparisons to greedy mobile games and EA. Is it really worth all the negative press for a bit of extra cash?

And if it's about 'player choice', why do we have to pay real money for it rather than being an Easy mode/Cheat code.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.