Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 78

• KD 15 Oct 2019 13:21:08 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner It started fine for me but I was just looking if it had VR so didn't actually start any races.
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2019 13:23:30 3,994 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know, it feels like I'm taking most corners pretty fast, it's not like I'm drifting around them sideways, but more using a bit of oversteer to decelerate in the corner and get the nose pointing in the right direction for the exit.

I don't think I have the fine motor control to be much smoother using the pad.

What AI difficulty do you play this on?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Oct 2019 13:29:47 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't remember to be honest but the AI times are all over the place depending ion location and car class. Sometimes it's too easy sometimes it's too hard.

And trust me, you can go way faster. Just do one of the dallies to see how far behind you are some of the fuckers on there.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Oct 2019 17:47:46 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can go too sideways in R5, but I don't think you can in Group A. That's a pretty sideways class (I mean, just look how Colin McRae was driving). Also what Decks said, AI times are all over the place in this game.

Choice of car is also very important in unbalanced classes. In Group A, avoid the Cossie, it's a dud.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Oct 2019 18:56:44 22,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    And trust me, you can go way faster. Just do one of the dallies to see how far behind you are some of the fuckers on there.
    It is a good drive if I get into the top 500. I have had a few top 150 finishes. If I put the same time in this as DR1 I would probably get quite high up in the rankings but even then I would not be near the top. There are some ridiculous times on there. The Dr did have the fastest time on a track on one of the Welsh stages in DR1, I think.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:57:16 15-10-2019

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:57:54 15-10-2019
  • salrip 15 Oct 2019 20:09:15 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tuning can make quite a big difference for my times. I don't know nothing about setups but there's guides for most cars and locations on youtube (gtrtechnical is a good one) you can follow and then adjust to taste.
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2019 20:31:15 3,994 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do remember seeing a couple of Dirt 1 videos on YouTube a couple years ago, where the player was just weaving through every corner to perfection. Obviously memorised the stages as they were turning in really early in some corners and taking perfect apexes. It was very impressive. I know I'm way off that.

I think my little Peugeot 205 made me feel like I was better than I actually was
  • DrStrangelove 15 Oct 2019 21:28:04 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    The Dr did have the fastest time on a track on one of the Welsh stages in DR1, I think.
    I did once, but that was slightly questionable because I (purposefully) did it an hour or so after the big physics upgrade when all times were wiped. I'm probably on #500 or so on that one today. The best I ever did in DR1 regularly was #23 on Bidno Moorland Reverse.

And of course that was only in time trial (or back then, general stage leaderboards, as DR1 didn't have a time trial mode). In DR2 I managed a few time trial top spots, but mostly because none of the real pros did it before. On dailies where they all play, the absolute best I could ever achieve was 10-15 seconds behind the leader on short sprint stages. Those guys aren't called "aliens" on the CM forum for nothing. Seriously, never measure yourself against them.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:42:45 15-10-2019
  • DrStrangelove 15 Oct 2019 21:34:48 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also don't forget there are some actual rally drivers playing these games, like she here who says she actually plays games like DR2 and RBR for practice.

• Rodney 15 Oct 2019 22:05:37 3,994 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shit, that's impressive. I'm nowhere near that, but I'm guessing that kind of skill far exceeds the AI?
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2019 22:12:37 3,994 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone else find the fast flowing stages, like the one in the video, more difficult?

I find there is a much higher cost for making a mistake, and you can take most "4" corners by just lifting off a bit but then one will come along with an awkward camber, or one will spit you out in a shit position for the next corner. I'm finding I'm starting to memorise some sections though so getting better
  • DrStrangelove 15 Oct 2019 22:36:50 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Shit, that's impressive. I'm nowhere near that, but I'm guessing that kind of skill far exceeds the AI?
    Yeah, I mean it would be a bad joke if it didn't.

Rodney wrote:
    Does anyone else find the fast flowing stages, like the one in the video, more difficult?

I find there is a much higher cost for making a mistake, and you can take most "4" corners by just lifting off a bit but then one will come along with an awkward camber, or one will spit you out in a shit position for the next corner.
    Yes and no. You may lose a lot of time by not taking fast corners fast enough, but you can also just floor it in many situations where there's little chance for anyone to be faster. In slow technical tracks like Argentina, a lot of time can be gained by figuring out just how fast you can go in situations that seem very slow.

I'm finding I'm starting to memorise some sections though so getting better
    Memorising is key for really good times, no denying that.
  • dsmx 15 Oct 2019 22:56:43 8,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @salrip The only thing with any guide for vehicles setup is that setups are tailored to the driver, what is good for one person can be undriveable for another.

Any guide you see for a vehicle setup only use it as a starting point, you still need to learn what each setting does to your vehicles handling and tune it to your personal preferences.

Also with rally cars on loose surfaces you should be powering through corners so you should be creating setups that allow you to go through corners on the throttle.
  • Slint1000 15 Oct 2019 23:13:10 3,554 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Also don't forget there are some actual rally drivers playing these games, like she here who says she actually plays games like DR2 and RBR for practice.

She’s really makes it look so easy. Amazing video.

She drove an R2 Fiesta at the Wales rally recently. I think she’s having trouble getting a full time drive, but she looks like she’s got the skills for sure.
  • salrip 15 Oct 2019 23:16:32 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dsmx true, I often find them a good starting point though. As much as I have been playing this game (and its predecessor) I really should learn a little more about what each setting does and how it affects the handling.

The one thing that I found improved my times the most was when I started playing dirt 1 with psvr- that really made a huge difference. Too bad there’s no chance for 2.0 to get a psvr update...
  • dsmx 16 Oct 2019 00:17:25 8,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @salrip If you fancy looking into it then I can offer this as a starting point:

Do a short stage with a variety of corners, don't change any settings on the vehicle from your default.

Every time you go through a corner pause the game and write down what the car was doing in each one, was it understeering, oversteering, etc and also at which point in the corner it was doing any of those things and at what speed even if it was neutral and doing nothing.

Next step, is have a look at this:

This chart is based off a couple of pages from a book from Staniforth and if you look at the flow chart you can see why you need to write down how the car was behaving and at what speed.

But remember when you make an alteration to setup you should only alter 1 setting at a time otherwise you won't know which change altered the handling characteristics.

Now this sheet is only a guide and an issue you will run into is that stiffer suspension reduces traction but it also reduces body roll which improves cornering so spring rate is arguably the most important balancing act for a stage.

Another issue I've run into IRL and something you will come across as well and is of critical importance to remember is drivers want a car that is easy to drive.

Easy to drive cars can end up just getting slower and slower so when you make changes if you end up driving slower don't carry on down that path.

Edited by dsmx at 00:24:51 16-10-2019
  • DrStrangelove 16 Oct 2019 00:50:13 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh dear lol. I can only say that I didn't bother with any of that shite unless I wanted to gain that last second in time trial world record attempts, and even then I only adjusted the differentials a little. Most important imo is learning how to control the cars. And I agree with dsmx, I found setups that are easier to drive, but in the end most of them only made me slower.

I had to adjust the differential on the Sierra and the 911 a wee bit for my WR attempts, and I had to adjust the Cossie a lot because I think the default setup is a piece of crap. Other than that I never cared about tuning.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:54:28 16-10-2019
  • salrip 16 Oct 2019 05:56:18 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dsmx oh man, that’s way too serious and time consuming for me, but thanks anyway :) I will however, try a bit with stock tunings, tunings I find online and compare times. What with all the mistakes I make an easier to drive car can be the difference between getting to the finish or not :)

And for sure, knowing the tracks and car is of course the two most important things for fast times. For me rallying isn’t about memorising a whole stage, too bad you can’t change some of the notes from the co-driver though, there’s some places I almost always make the same mistakes...
  • TheGreenYamo 17 Oct 2019 18:00:29 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I should really try and get into the tuning stuff more. I'm still using automatic gears...

I'm going to set up another championship, same rules as before. It'll non DLC stages again, does anyone have a car class preference?
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Oct 2019 18:36:12 22,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @TheGreenYamo definitely get into manual gears, it adds a layer of control and certain sections work better with manual than automatic. It also just feels better. Your times will take a hit for a time but they will improve eventually.

Well, this was my experience with DR1, I manual every racing game now. Some are not nearly as good, such as the most recent gran tourismo.
  • dsmx 17 Oct 2019 18:49:24 8,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @TheGreenYamo Tuning is an art form that is incredibly time consuming to get right, it is worth it when you find a setup that just works but it can take a long time to get to that point.

On the subject of auto gears, don't, the auto box is dimwitted at the best of times. At a minimum switch to the semi-auto box so you can override the gear selection.
  • MrAGSystems 17 Oct 2019 19:21:07 255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Chaps, what content does the DLC comprise of?

Seen the base game for €20 and am tempted to jump back in, debating DLC as well.
  • racing_fan 17 Oct 2019 19:31:03 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    New national locations like Greece and Latvia, and cars, natch.

I think a good portion of the Rallycross section of the game is dlc, at least the Yas Marina circuit is.

You can buy the content as season pack 1+2 and also season pack 3+4, or I bought the whole lot as the Year One pass, or you can buy the tracks and cars individually. Some people prefer to do this as they aren't interested in the RallyCross game.
  • TheGreenYamo 17 Oct 2019 19:46:30 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrAGSystems the whole DLC collection costs quite a bit, you might be better off picking and choosing what you want and buying individual tracks and cars, like racing_fan said.

I bought all 4 seasons of DLC, but i don;t really do munch RallyCross...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 17 Oct 2019 19:48:31 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The DLC is remasters of the courses from DR1 plus some rallycross stuff.
  • MrAGSystems 17 Oct 2019 22:44:32 255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Thanks chaps, didn't realise there was that much extra content.

I'd be interested in seeing Germany from DR1 as I found the handling on tarmac in DR2 to be much improved.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Oct 2019 22:52:52 14,693 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can get Germany either standalone for £3 or so, or as part of season 1. If you're on Steam, the Deluxe Upgrade Package (season 1+2) is currently 60% off for 10 quid or so, which is by far the better deal (also contains Wales, Monte Carlo, Sweden and a lot of cars).
  • KD 18 Oct 2019 01:24:23 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had the deluxe with season 1+2, the bonus cars and cash at the start helped me avoid the career nearly completely. Picked up Greece, 360 Maxi and 2001 Focus today for £6 as a daily required that track.

Edited by KD at 01:24:41 18-10-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.