Following Dirt Rally 2 Page 81

• racing_fan 8 Nov 2019 16:40:57 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I received an odd message yesterday from a (gamer tag) Ken Harada. Praising my driving ability and saying I was "consistently fast in the dailies". I thought it was one of you lot so I said, Thanks are you in one of the EG Racenet groups, he was like yes mate, in Dirt Expert and Dirt Official. I was like who is dis guy?
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2019 22:37:36 14,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @racing_fan That sounds slightly shady, I've heard of many befriending attempts on EGS and other platforms for ulterior motives (not that I really understand them), I've had many strange friend requests in Steam too, and I don't know what anyone would gain from that in DR2. Still seems odd. Probably best ignored.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2019 22:40:40 14,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And from the current EG championship, I must say I'm not a fan of normal damage either. I didn't even care in Poland, I just floored it, fully expecting I'd die. But I didn't no matter how often I crashed and rolled. Hardcore damage would be great if not every tuft of grass punctured my tyres.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 22:41:55 09-11-2019
  • racing_fan 10 Nov 2019 08:51:44 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I thought it was odd at first, but he seems ok, he plays DR2 a ton and it's fun to have people on your friendlist to compete against in the daily times and on the time trial laps.

It's a shame that the times of everyone in the Racenet clubs for the time trials, career stages and dailies don't populate on the leaderboards across the game. He's literally the only person on my Xbox friendslist that plays DR2.

Also I think I'm in favour of putting hardcore mode back on for our Racenet championships lol.
  • racing_fan 10 Nov 2019 08:56:14 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    If anyone in this thread is playing DR2 on Xbox, please feel free to add me.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 10 Nov 2019 09:56:06 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    What's your tag?
  • racing_fan 10 Nov 2019 12:31:47 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    richardtron
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Nov 2019 19:48:00 22,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    And from the current EG championship, I must say I'm not a fan of normal damage either. I didn't even care in Poland, I just floored it, fully expecting I'd die. But I didn't no matter how often I crashed and rolled. Hardcore damage would be great if not every tuft of grass punctured my tyres.
    I can concur with this to some degree. My Lancer was absolutely trashed by the third race but no punctures. Although I prefer this to hardcore damage as it definitely slowed me down and punctures are so frustrating and random.

I do not like hardcore damage.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 10 Nov 2019 19:59:26 151 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there is a new championship up then I'll try and hop on for a wee crash or two. Been very absent from DR2 of late because I'm a lazypuss, just far too distracted with other games and such.
  • salrip 10 Nov 2019 21:24:30 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck, went in just a little bit too fast in one corner right at the end of the last stage. Just enough speed to get over the snow wall and then blam! Critical damage, unrecoverable car... Had been going pretty well until then. Well except for that one corner in Monte Carlo where I always kill half a dozen people. Seriously, why have they put so many spectators at the outside of the corners where you really shouldn't be standing?

Also did one of the dailies in Finland. RWD H2 (i think?). So much fun, I really love Finland. Great satisfaction can be had by going sideways in full speed over a 6 left/right jump and nail the landing perfectly.
  • TheGreenYamo 11 Nov 2019 18:29:39 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @salrip I think I know the corner you mean, they're at the apex of a particularly icy 3 turn. I got a puncture bouncing off the wall trying to avoid them on stage 3 (I hit them), and almost did the same on the longer stage 4 (got a puncture, but missed them this time).

I might complain to the stewards.
  • racing_fan 11 Nov 2019 23:16:32 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Went over the cliff on one of the last bends of the third stage Monte Carlo. Terminal Damage. Enjoying it so much up till then, and wasn't last either. Gutted.
  • KD 12 Nov 2019 12:18:16 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't have an issue with higher damage, well not until I got to drive that Porsche or BMW rwd monsters.

I got through the last event ok, ended up 2nd and salrip had me most the way until his crash.
  • MrAGSystems 12 Nov 2019 12:25:22 255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Any tips for taking hairpins? I had a few meh ones on New England there.

Brake, shift weight to front wheels and turn? Was using the 1995 Impreza.
  • salrip 12 Nov 2019 12:36:57 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrAGSystems I usually do a Scandinavian flick (at least I try to do it) and also use the handbrake and then just power through. Don't know if that's the fastest way though. At least it's fun and satisfying when you nail it. (In RWD and 4WD cars that is)

Edited by salrip at 12:37:37 12-11-2019
  • KD 12 Nov 2019 16:38:22 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hairpins I was dropping to 2nd gear and just try and slide it, I'll happily slow a bit earlier if it means I come out of it faster.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Nov 2019 18:33:54 22,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Indeed, most hairpins are best tackled by slowing down more on entry and accelerating out rather than trying to carry the speed works well, mixed in with the Scandinavian flick also helps a load.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Nov 2019 20:06:14 14,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I assume that rally driver in the video is pretty good at it, doing a hairpin section at 1:30.

It seems to me that she's using weight shift/flick sparingly and does most of it via handbrake. Truth be told, I try to flick a lot but it always feels like by doing so I'm losing more time than I should on entry unless I get it exactly right.

Mind, I believe it also depends on class. She's driving R5 which has a ton of grip, which I think allows a more "straight shooting" approach. With older classes (e.g. Group A) I find it works better to flick/oversteer more aggressively. I watched a Colin McRae onboard video and he does most by flicking and very sideways driving, rarely using the handbrake.

With RWD it's more difficult obviously, you need to take care not to flick the car too much, be very careful with throttle, and try to exit heading straight forward with little angular momentum left so you can floor it early. E.g. with the 911 if the rear is still trying to go sideways you must be extremely careful with the gas pedal, but once it wants to go straight you can floor it and it has a ton of traction for acceleration thanks to its rear engine layout.

edit: not sure I really know what I'm talking about, I've had a few drinks and am rambling a little

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:13:42 12-11-2019
  • MrAGSystems 12 Nov 2019 22:37:41 255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    How's the best way to do the flick? Turn out, brake, turn in, accelerate? I get it sometimes naturally without trying, but when I make a conscious effort to do it I usually twat myself out (assuming I'm using a Group A car - that's my sweet spot in terms of challenge/ability).

Like I'm not desperate at hairpins but I lack consistency and know it's an area I could definitely tighten up.
  • TheGreenYamo 14 Nov 2019 12:43:49 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a heads up, I'll be setting up another Championship this evening, i'm thinking Sweden, USA and Germany and up to 2000cc cars. Bare in mind that all the cars in this class are DLC, so you will have to buy one if you haven't already. I think the Citroen is supposedly the fastest?

Anyhoo, it'll be online around 6pm UK time
  • racing_fan 14 Nov 2019 12:55:38 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    The Citroen C4 is da bestest.
  • salrip 14 Nov 2019 13:33:12 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it too soon to include Finland in a championship?
  • TheGreenYamo 14 Nov 2019 17:40:58 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @salrip I thought I'd stick with Season 1 & 2 for a while, not sure if everyone's up to date withe the season 3 stuff.

Happy to add Finland and Greece next time if everyone's happy with that?
  • KD 14 Nov 2019 18:03:21 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got all the tracks and grab the new ones on the day they release them but not sure I got any cars in that class if they all dlc, may have the 2001 Focus if that's the right class.
  • TheGreenYamo 14 Nov 2019 18:12:18 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @KD Yeah, that's in the same class. It's one of the slower ones though, I think.

EDIT: championship is live.

Edited by TheGreenYamo at 18:18:01 14-11-2019
  • TheGreenYamo 14 Nov 2019 18:38:09 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are a few EUROGAMERDR2 join requests, are Yann715, SmiddyNL and StoneGolem1 EG people?
  • racing_fan 14 Nov 2019 18:49:25 181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    StoneGolem is an EG mate on PlayStation, already plays DR2, I guided him hither.
  • TheGreenYamo 14 Nov 2019 18:51:39 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @racing_fan Righto, I'll add him.
  • KD 14 Nov 2019 19:44:43 2,222 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had quite a few cars in that class it turns out.
  • salrip 19 Nov 2019 11:17:32 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazing - on the first two splits on the first stage in germany me and @TheGreenYamo (I think? I'm not 100% sure on who's username here is which username in the game) was dead even. I don't think I've ever had a 0.00.000 split and now it was two in a row!

I'm trying to minimise my mistakes now. Essentially doing the opposite of Colin Mcrae's "If in doubt - flat out" mantra. Working pretty well so far :) I'm sure it would've been a different outcome if it was a harder car class, the citroŽn c4 really is super stable and easy to drive. I'm not complaing though!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.